Agents of SHIELD Recap AIDA Killed

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Recap: Aye, Robot

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. resumed Season 4 on Tuesday night with LMD May (or “MayBot,” as the cast calls her on set) now embedded within the team, while Aida forged ahead with her agenda — reclaiming the Darkhold tome that changed the game for her android self.

Aida’s new ‘tude is not kept secret long at all. Rather, it is revealed quite quickly, once Radcliffe and Fitz head over to the former’s mod pad to power down his creation and wipe her hard drive, to eliminate any Darkhold knowledge. Aida announces that she has overridden remote shutdowns, and proceeds to clobber her creator and Leopold good. Afterward, she shuts off her GPS tracker, and even “calls in” to S.H.I.E.L.D. to taunt them — setting off a hilarious, episodel-ong stream of Evil Robot Movie references from Mack and Yo-Yo.

When Aida hacks into the S.H.I.E.L.D. security system to broach the base, Coulson & Co. do the best they can to fend her off or at least safeguard the Darkhold. Alas, Aida listens in — via LMD May — as Coulson notes that the Darkhold is not locked inside any safe but cloaked inside a drawer in Director Mace’s office. Aida gets her synthetic mitts on the book and heads for the exit, but by then Fitz has regained control of the system and locked her in. Stymied, Aida is just standing there when the door behind her opens and Mack is there to slice her head off. “Roll credits,” the movie-quoting robo-phobe declares.

It turns out, though, that the LMD threat is far from over, since it is revealed that Radcliffe already has a second Aida built — and that he in fact has been behind the original’s “betrayal” and pursuit of the Darkhold. With the original Aida now destroyed, he tells Aida 2.0 that they must now utilize LMD May to obtain the Darkhold and in doing so unlock the secrets to life everlasting. Or something.

Elsewhere in the episode, we learned that Senator Nadeer was poised to sacrifice her brother Vijay to the Watchdogs, of whom she is apparently second-in-command. Vijay, though, begs for mercy, asserting that he came out of his seven-month cocoon with no powers/isn’t one of the “infected.” The senator spares Vijay, but later — as Mace, Daisy and Simmons (fresh off a Southern-accented scuffle with one of Nadeer’s D.C. minions!) arrive on the scene — henchman Shockley acts on orders from the boss (the “top dog”?) to take out the new Inhuman. Cornered, Vijay’s power finally activates — the ability to move at hyper speeds. He dodges Shockley and his goons, but later for some reason gets into a chopper with his sister and Shockley. There, it is not Shockley but the senator who puts a bullet into Vijay’s belly, after which he is lobbed out of the whirly-bird and into the ocean. But once the weighted-down Vijay sinks to the ocean floor, a new cocoon forms around him….

What did you think of the episode “Broken Promises” and the launch of this season’s second (of three) story arcs?

1. laurelnev says:

I have SO MUCH I want to say here…where to begin:

Who else had flashbacks to Janet (Good Place) in some of Aida’s interactions with Fitz tonight? I kept thinking of “Don’t kill me! Don’t be silly; I can’t die.”

But does this mean it’s always been Radcliffe behind the curtain, and Aida’s never been as self-aware as the 80s movies would make one think? And again, when did the May swap actually occur? It’s looking more and more like it WAS post killing/ressurection, and we may have had RoboMay for far longer than we thought.

And re: Vijay–I kind of thought he was more elastic man than YoYo, but I could be mistaken. How cold IS Sis anyway? And is the reason Vijay cocooned for so long at all related to him “fighting it?” Might teragenesis have been incomplete? And if so, what kind of 50s movie type will emerge from the swamp when it is finished, And how will a transformed Vijay deal with stinkin’ sis when he does re-emerge? And what is both of their histories with the Chitauri? (sp)

But of course, the question of the hour is is the big baddie remnants of Hydra, or some new big baddie? And whose team is Radcliffe really playing on at this point?

I LOVE this show, and I am SO GLAD it is back!

• g says:

their history with the Chitauri was that their parents were killed in the attack – that’s it.

the new “superior” is likely a new character unrelated to Hydra
      and Dr. Radcliffe is playing on Team Radcliffe – that’s it – he’s just been stringing SHIELD along from the beginning so they wouldn’t lock him up

2. Joey Padron says:

The episode was so good and surprising. So surprised Radcliffe is behind getting the Darkhold book and using it’s power and knowledge. Not good he’s using LMD May to spy on the team. Poor real May is a prisoner of Radcliffe, Hope the team will find her soon. Surprised the senator shot her brother, good to see what his inhuman powers are. Happy the show is back and can’t wait for next episode!

3. James D says:

kind of figured Radcliffe was behind it all, only because John Hannah plays such a great baddie I figured he had to have ulterior motives. the b story was pretty rough, poor Vijay Hope he returns and wrecks havoc on his crazy sister. Awesome Episode, loved Mac and YoYo’s robot movie shtick.

• g says:

agreed re: Radcliffe from the start of the season – he’s always had his own agenda
      including programing AIDA to have been acting like she was
      I never believed otherwise

4. Ella says:

Not feeling the Philinda at all. They really lack chemistry comparing to mackelena and fitzsimmons (speaking of this, what is going on with them? they barely are together this season!) but surely love to see more of ming/may on screen.

Nice twist at the end! I didn’t think that radcliffe was involved.

Favorite part of the episode: MACK.

another favorite part of the episode: Daisy being part of the team again.

5. Doug says:

Why does Radcliffe still need the Darkhold? Didn’t Aida adequately scan the entire thing into her memory? Or does the book have actual powers beyond the text on its pages?

• lrdslvrhnd says:

Because magic book is magic. You can have the text of the book (in binary) but the Darkhold also gives *understanding*… which you very well may not get if you sit Aida in front of a computer and have her type the whole thing out.

6. Dominique says:

this was an excellent first episode back from the winter hiatus and a great start for the LMD arc! was not surprised by Radcliffe’s involvement given that the actress who plays Aida already gave it away weeks ago.
    i’m curious to see what will happen to vijay, clearly we haven’t seen the last of him.
    it’s a pity AoS has taken so long to recover from what i thought was a pretty awful season 2 and 3, i’m worried it won’t be enough and season 4 will be its last. and that would be a shame given how good it’s been this season.

7. lrdslvrhnd says:

I was really amused when, immediately after I watched this ep, I switched to Bones… which was about a victim who built robots with AI. And, um… new FBI guy whose name I’m blanking on… was worrying about the inevitable robot uprising.

8. leejay29 says:

Did the Small Wonder reference go over everyone’s head except my nerdy and old one?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

That was perhaps the best one!

• laurelnev says:

My head may be older and nerdier…but that’s one of the reasons I love shield! Ming Na and I am the same age. SHIELD caters just as much to us old nerds as it does to the young ones! Can you sing along with me? She’s a Small Wonder…)

• lrdslvrhnd says:

Oh ye gods, that one made me twitch lol – I hated that show. I loved Mack & Yo-Yo comparing robopocalypse knowledge. And “Even Salvation?” “He brought it on himself.”

• Kelley Glenn says:

That’s the reason I stumbled across this thread. I wanted to see who else caught the reference. When I watched the episode last night and Mac said that line, I had to call my wife in to play it for her. Alas, it went over her head and I had to explain it to her. I loved it, though. She’s older than me by a year or two, so I guess that means I’m nerdier. I don’t think she’d argue. :)