Mariah Carey New Year's Break Foiled

Mariah Carey Taking 'Break' in Wake of New Year's Show: 'They Foiled Me'

The world won’t have Mariah Carey to kick around anymore.

The pop diva on Sunday announced that she’s taking a respite from media appearances and social media posts after she was “foiled” by Dick Clark Productions during her technical glitch-filled New Year Eve performance broadcast.

In a Twitter post titled “In my own words” Sunday, Carey shared an audio file of her explaining why she would take a “break from media moments, social media moments” after her botched performance on ABC’s Dick Clark’s  New Year’s Rockin’ Eve With Ryan Seacrest.

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

“Listen, guys. They foiled me,” she tells fans, adding that the muddled medley of her hits “turned into an opportunity to humiliate me and all those who were excited to ring in the new year with me” and that her feelings were hurt.

Last week, the pop singer said that the late Dick Clark “would have been as mortified as I was” that his production company did not cut to commercial when her Dec. 31 performance went awry after a backing vocal quit. In the confusion, Carey tried to vamp around the stage but repeatedly told fans that things were completely messed up. The production company responded that it had “no involvement in the challenges associated with Ms. Carey’s New Year’s Eve performance.”

Carey added that she’d spend her time preparing for her upcoming tour, which launches in March.

1. Paul says:

Oh dear. How can we go on without this self-absorbed diva with a spent voice? She’s long past her sell by date.

2. Kate says:

Bye Felicia.

3. Dan says:

We should NOT still be talking about a 9 minute New Years performance nine days into the 2017! I’m sure if Mariah and her team would have just stopped bringing it up on the 2nd, nobody would even remember that it had happened.

4. Tony Lang says:

From “Sh*t Happens” to “They’re out to get me!!!” Her zen went out faster than her voice. Who’s her Twitter adviser, Donald Trump?

5. Mark says:

Does she really expect anyone to think that DCP wanted a trainwreck in the middle of their live special, with millions watching?

6. marty burke says:

She need to dress for her age, she looked horrible ,she is to heavy to dress like that.

• el says:

completely agree. to me, it shows her desperation to be considered sexy, to appear youthful and in my opinion, to distract from the fact that her voice is no where as powerful as it once was. I don’t think she has the range, she certainly cannot hit the highest notes like she once did, and sadly she has lost her pizazz.

7. marty burke says:

Mel and meriah need to take a trip far away

8. Pedro says:

Carey is only second to Trump in being thin-skinned and tweeting back.

9. Jason says:

“They foiled me.” Is she a super-villain!? What dastardly plan did they stop? Perhaps one precisely delivered high note was going to incapacitate everyone in Time Square, allowing her to steal all their jewelry. “And I would have gotten away with it, if it wasn’t for that darn Dick Clark Productions!” And now, like any good villainess, she’ll disappear, only to return more powerful than ever, with a new fiendish scheme. (Insert maniacal laugh here)

10. JScout says:

She does not know the definition of foiled, unless she is saying she was trying to do something wrong.

11. John Jacob says:

everyone is out to get Mariah!!! it’s a conspiracy…oh wait…nevermind… she’s just a nut as seen on her show.

12. SJ says:

“They foiled me!”. What is she, a cartoon villain? I can just picture her shaking her fist, clenching her jaw and saying that in an Ebenzer Scrooge voice.

She needs to get off her high horse. If she could still sing, she wouldn’t be in this situation. Go take a seat, Mariah. I think you’re done.

13. Lynn says:

Guess what? No one could “foil” you if you were capable of actually singing your own songs.

14. peterwdawson says:

So did the world slowly make her crazier or was it always there and the years of toolbag behavior by would-be critics and people trying to be relevant by slamming a national treasure coupled with people calling her a national treasure just reveal the pile of cashews that would call the situation ‘foiling’?

15. Soraya E. says:

I wonder what Bryan Tanaka has to say about this whole… debacle. Apparently.