BrainDead Cancelled

BrainDead Was 'Probably a Mistake to Do' on a Broadcast Network, Says EP

BrainDead may have been a little too outside the box for CBS.

Speaking to reporters Monday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour, exec producer Robert King was asked what lessons he learned in the wake of the offbeat political dramedy’s demise after just one season.

“Avoid satire,” he responded with a laugh. “It was a show that was trying to be as weird and anti-network as could be, and it was probably a mistake to do that on a network. But I loved that show.”

The one silver lining of BrainDead‘s cancellation: It freed up him and partner Michelle King to take on a larger role (as showrunners) in the forthcoming Good Wife spinoff The Good Fight.

1. T o. says:

It was an enjoyable show & made me laugh out loud

2. ndixit says:

I loved it and it thankfully works well as a mini series. It always felt like a weird for for CBS.

3. Haz says:

I think the combination of it being to out there for a majority of CBS viewers and the fact the pilot sucked is what hurt it. I will admit I turned off the pilot halfway through but a month later I started to watch it again on Amazon and ended up rally enjoying it. It was one of those shows you had to stick with because it really did get better over time. I will say to me it flowed better when’s I binge watched a few episodes at a time vs watching it weekly. I wish in many ways they could have found a way to make this work for CBS All Access. I am glad that there was some closure for the storylines in the finale, it felt like I had watched a mini series vs a seasonal TV shows.

• dan says:

Agree. I wasn’t sure about the pilot, but I decided to keep watching. About 3-4 episodes in I realized that I was laughing out loud. But it definitely wasn’t for everybody: my wife hated it and couldn’t believe that I was enjoying a show about bugs from outer space invading Washington DC (typing that sentence seems odd, just like the show).

4. Kevin says:

They should put the show for CBS All Access.

5. Many Americans (AKA Conservatives) are not wired to appreciate satire. And CBS has historically programmed its schedule to attract an older, conservative audience. Too bad this wasn’t done by Netflix or Amazon; it probably would have achieved a second season, which would have been much needed in the first year of Trump’s rule.

• John036 says:

Yikes I guess I’m one of those rare conservatives who enjoys satire because I loved the show. It’s like maybe you shouldn’t group together people based on stereotypes????

• Ann says:

I’m conservative. I loved it and told my friends to watch it. I also loved the liberal, The Good Wife, which successfully ran for like 8 seasons on the “old, white conservative” CBS network you mention.

6. Mr. Smith says:

It wasn’t that it was “outside the box,” but just a terribly written show. I usually enjoy the Kings’ work. Not this one.

7. Wordsmith says:

Generally speaking, if it isn’t a multicam sitcom or a crime procedural, it’s probably too outside the box for CBS.

8. maltru says:

I absolutely loved Brain Dead. I thought it was clever and smart, and everyone in the cast was so perfect for their roles, so of course it couldn’t last long!

9. Bring back dinozzo says:

The whole truth is, is that all shows on television are pretty awful and Hollywood only reuses terrible writers producers and actors that are in their safe little Hollywood bubble.

Nothing is good coming out of Hollywood everything has to be politically correct for women and homosexuals and everything needs to be rated PG-13 it’s boring it’s sad and everyone’s getting over Hollywood.

• AJ says:

How dare they make shows for people other then white men! This show also had to be PG-13 seeing as how it’s on a regular network. They usually don’t push for anything higher than that, the only show I know that did that was Hannibal. If you want something R-rated try Westworld, Atlanta or The Night Of. Great, more adult oriented, shows.

• Jimmy says:

Of the three r rated movies you mentioned, I watched Westworld. Don’t see why it’s so popular and considered one of the best new shows. Love Games of Throne but Westworld not so much. It did get better in the latter half of the season but still not one of the most compelling shows I’ve watched. I’m going to watch season 2 though.

10. A fan of TV says:

BrainDead was a show that didn’t suit network, sure, but it was also awful. That didn’t help.

11. Dizzle says:

Really enjoyed BrainDead, but in a way I’m glad they only did one series. If their original plan was to do multiple seasons in different places, I don’t think I could’ve stomached the frustrating “do over” each season of people slowly figuring out something is up!

12. Gerald says:

Perfect summer programming even for CBS. Would not have worked in regular season. But I loved it. Glad it got a proper conclusion.

13. vicki says:

Really? I loved it. Gave me more than a giggle

14. I loved this show…. it was a hysterical look at the absurdity of today’s politics. How else do we explain away the insanity of our leaders refusing to work together?

15. MARYANN HURLBURT says:

I absolutely loved the show. Missed it when it was over. Bought the full series on amazon.

16. Candy says:

Loved this show.

17. Boone says:

loved that show. One of the most weird show on a network.

18. Jimmy says:

Didn’t love the show, but watched it. One thing I hated was the music played during recap of the previous show. It was definitely out there.