Exclusive
Winter TV Preview

Winter TV Preview: Your Scoop-Filled Guide to 30+ Returning Favorites!

The holiday break is officially over, which means it’s time to ask the important questions: Will The 100 find love before the world comes to an end? Has Homeland found its Trump? Can The Flash work fast to eliminate a cruel fate? Um, what is Scandal about again…?

Many of this season’s current shows, plus several returning favorites, are meeting the new year with new episodes. To get you primed for the rush of TV headed your way, TVLine sought out fresh scoop from the producers of more than two dozen series, including Switched at Birth, The Big Bang Theory, The Blacklist and Suits.

And because its got many returning faces albeit in new-ish places, we included the Good Wife spinoff for good measure. (As a final bonus, we also rounded up scads of exclusive photos for your viewing pleasure.)

So, which Original has an “incredible journey” ahead? Who’s in hot water on Chicago Fire? And how will Once Upon a Time‘s Storybrooke cope during Emma’s absence? Scroll through the gallery above (or click here for direct access) for answers to those Qs and many, many more!

1. Casey says:

“Clarke’s people will initially ‘resent’ her for killing ALIE”. I’m guessing Clarke will be saying a lot of “I’m sorry’s” again this year.

• Max says:

Yeah and The 100 DID find love before the world ended only they decided to destroy that love in the form of Clexa. So the answer is no because nothing will ever be bigger than that and more people will just be killed off anyway.

2. Anne says:

Nothing on Greys? More specifically, Jackson/April? I’m deprived.

3. Eric7740 says:

First, are we getting a full season of Scandal (22 episodes) or are we getting half a season, since it’s premiering at mid-season???
    Second, I thought it was previously announced that The Vampire Diaries was ending its run in late March/early April and not waiting till May???

4. Mike says:

“SCPD Detective Tina Boland will form a connection with Oliver, seeing as ‘she has been through her own hell, her own sort of island.'” Praying the “connection” isn’t romantic and that Matt’s theory about her being Prometheus pans out. Oliver needs to go back to being someone we can root for, and this show is due for a female big bad!

• Jess says:

Oliver needs to have sex with all the women on the show because otherwise the show doesn’t know how to include them.

• kath says:

He has to sleep with Tina because he needs to have sex with all three Black Canaries. Because comics!
        I’d be on board with him sleeping with Talia in the flashbacks.

Wouldn’t it be nice if the show surprised us and Oliver didn’t sleep with every available woman?

• Jess says:

It would be surprising therefore it won’t happen. The question now is how long it will be after he went ‘all in’ with Susan before he is ‘all in’ with Tina. Also I wonder, were they not allowed to call her Dinah and used the closest name they could find resembling it?

• Max says:

Here’s an idea. Maybe Susan will be killed by Felicity when she goes on her dark path. Fear not, at least one person will be there to comfort Oliver while he grieves. Maybe Tina’s the type to hang out in the lair in lingerie. Plan in motion for GA/BC. Third time’s a charm!
            In all seriousness.
            what I want: female characters being badasses in a hundred different ways and supporting each other.
            what we’ll most likely get: another love interest for Oliver because “back to basics”

• Lex says:

“Back to Basics” means back to Ollie the manwhore, because apparently regression is a thing in 2017. Character growth? What character growth? We got Susan at bat with Tina on deck and Talia in as a pinch-hitter. Sounds line nine innings of I don’t care.

• JC1 says:

I’m betting she’s Black Canary 3.0, not Prometheus.

5. Kevin says:

Homeland. Wonder if Season Six is going to topped Season Five and I’m still hoping for the series to end after eight seasons which Showtime hasn’t announced yet.

6. Butch says:

No love for DC Legends of Tomorrow at TVline. Only CW DC property without recaps and no preview here.

7. Butch says:

Emma and Regina being hunted in fake Enchanted Forest should tie in nicely with fake Robin Hood as he will probably help them. Can Regina and Emma just kill who ever they need to since everyone except Emma and Regina are not real? Regina was prepared to die rather than kill fake Henry. That kind of didn’t make sense if he wasn’t real. Will there be another twist ?

8. Joey_Prue says:

Thank you so much for The Originals scoop, finally someone says something new about the show, Rebekah and Klaus my babies, and Freya why I sense a kind of story for her like the one we saw on SG with Alex?

TVD :Please end Steroline already, and give Caroline a proper story this season -_-

• Maisy says:

Lol ‘give Caroline a proper story’, how many years ago did fans have a twitter trend asking for Caroline to have a non-romantic plot line, the writers answered by killing her Mom and making it all about Steroline.
      I mean lets look at that- one of the shows most popular female characters and fans were so desperate for her to have some agency, some plot that didnt use her to prop up a male character, that they trended WW on twitter begging for it, and still got nothing.

• Stacey says:

I agree 100% with you! Yes to Bex being back and SC ending. Wonder why Damon is in a hospital bed. This season has been bad, hoping TO is better than TVD’s snoozefest!

9. Liz says:

I’m literally shaking my head on some of these scoops… some make me want to skip the shows all together. Let’s see what Lucifer brings to the table, it’s my only hope.

10. Mery says:

Klaus!!I missed him so much and can’t wait to see Rebekah as well! Thanks for the scoop!Ewww about Steroline..just end it already.

11. Leonie1988 says:

I already don’t like Tina (Arrow) and that has little to do with Oliver or Felicity. And not even with her as a person because we haven’t met her… I just don’t see why we need even more masked heroes. We just got the whole trainee gang (who are mainly great, but many). I know Laurel wanted there to be a new BC one day, but why do the writers have to rush into that so quickly?

• lilyb says:

Yeah, there are too many masks. I bet Tina’s going to be masked up and on the team within an ep or two of her introduction (even though that seems especially stupid considering it doesn’t seem like anyone on the team knows her, and they just had Evelyn betray them – but stupid seems to be the name of the game this season).

• Leonie1988 says:

Totally. I really don’t understand it. I mean ok, before Evelyn they only had good experiences with letting new people join, but now?! With “Promi” targeting them like this? Wow.

12. funnibone31 says:

Looking forward to Homeland!

13. Ian says:

I’m not particularly enthused by much of these spoilers, and what’s really funny is I only watch a small few of these shows anyway.
    I need something good from Scandal again, and this “scoop” wasn’it. And Nashville is the disappointment of a lifetime.
    That scoop for Bonnie was beautiful though. Definitely checking that out.

14. Lily says:

thanks for the tvd scoop

15. BM says:

I’m wondering what happened to Voight’s condition that Lindsay cut all ties with her mother. Her mother would not care and I can see how Lindsay would have sporadic contact with her after a while again but I wish the writers would remember that and have Voight be consequential. There’s a reason he wanted that to happen and that reason is that history is just going to repeat itself.
    And I really hope that Lindsay and Halstead are allowed to work through their issues as real couples who love each other do.

16. kia says:

I’m a bit afraid but totally excited about Bones’ 4th episode of the final season. Been since they talked about it at Comic Con. Can’t wait to watch it.

17. tatjash says:

I miss DC Legends of Tomorrow preview, :( . But thank you about Agents of shield and other shows.

18. Lots of scoops! Really looking forward to The Originals coming back. On TVD, it will be disappointing if they can’t get Nina Dobrev for the series finale! It would be weird to end it without her.

19. Azerty says:

“Talia al Ghul plays a “crucial part” in unraveling the Prometheus mystery”: please Arrow, don’t make a ripoff of The Dark Knight Rises, the movie itself was not as good as expected, so don’t reproduce the story…

20. Lynn says:

I thought Rebecca was gone for good except maybe an occasional appearance on the Originals. Glad she’s back for at least half the season. Also glad they didn’t just forget Mary on Supernatural. When she left a few episodes ago I thought we wouldn’t be seeing her much. I was glad she turned down going back to Heaven if only because I didn’t expect it. I thought they’d be getting rid of her as they seem to do with any character besides the main four.

21. kellyzollo says:

I could care less about Tina seeing how this was all spoiled weeks ago. I see there were no more stories for the REAL Black Canary but they have plenty for Walmart Canary Tina, spare me. How one messes up when you have Black Siren in the universe is simply mind boggling but then given this is Arrow and who is in charge it is not surprising at all.

• Jess says:

But she is the best fighter Oliver has seen ever………and, and, and she is kickass, and……..she has had her own ‘Island’ so can connect to Oliver, and lets be honest she can sooth his manpain in a way that no one else can, because she is kickass and the best fighter and, and….of yes; has had her own ‘Island’, OWN ISLAND, who needs character development when you can just keep hammering plot points with a dash of twisted comic canon.

22. DawnElicia says:

Thanks for the Flash scoop. But what about Legends of Tomorriw.

23. Dave says:

Was the catch canceled? Why is there nothing on season 2 not even premiere date?

24. Jill says:

I’m ready for Once Upon a Time to be over. I’ll finish this season, but the premise is the same for the past 2 seasons. In between 2 worlds, someone in peril, secondary character dies, to be resurrected in some way at a later date. It’s time.

25. Sandra Davis says:

Why would you remove Hotch and Lamar no more watching criminal minds.

26. Lex says:

Wow, Arrow. You sure are doing a bang-up job making me as excited about the show’s return as I am the beginning of the Trump presidency. Sounds like Oliver may be following the President-Elect’s path when it comes to women… maybe he should invest in some Tic-Tacs.

27. Ally Oop says:

The 10 returning winter (January/February/March) shows I’m most looking forward to are:
    The 100
    The Originals
    Colony
    This is Us
    X Company
    Nashville
    Call the Midwife
    Underground
    Grey’s Anatomy
    Reign
    ****
    The 10 new winter (January/February/March) shows I’m most looking forward to are:
    Star
    Workin’ Moms
    Pure
    The Mick
    Victoria
    Riverdale
    Training Day
    Bellevue
    The Good Fight
    Beyond

28. Corey Elizabeth Jorgens says:

What happens to Jesus? How much trouble is Nick in? What is Brandon going to do about college and how much trouble is he in over the situation? What about Callie in the car with the killer?
    Ahhh so much suspense is killing me I love The Fosters please don’t kill off Jesus

• OMG I love The Fosters! This season finale left me on the edge of my seat. I need to no what happens next it’s driving me crazy I can’t take it😖 and yes pls don’t kill off Jesus I love him!