Year in Review
Cancelled TV Shows 2016

88 Shows That Ended in 2016: Which Will You Miss the Most?

Later, Masters and Johnson. Buh-bye, “Caskett.” Seacrest out… for good, this time.

2016 was a very busy year for TV fans like us — sorry, friends and family! — but even as we added dozens of new shows to our season-pass lists, we also waved goodbye to a bunch of old favorites. Nearly a hundred in total, if our math is right.

Our list of shows that ended this year includes: long-running procedurals like ABC’s Castle and TNT’s Rizzoli & Isles; an acclaimed legal drama in CBS’ The Good Wife; a reality-TV phenomenon and ratings behemoth in Fox’s American Idol; a carnal think piece in Masters of Sex; the sitcom that won Melissa McCarthy an Emmy in CBS’ Mike & Molly; and the list goes on.

So scroll through the gallery to the right — or click here for direct access — and join us as we take one last look at all the TV shows that aired their final episode in 2016. Then come back and let us know which ones you’ll miss the most.

1. Jason says:

I’ll miss Person of Interest the most. Maybe because it’s quality never wavered. Secondly I’d pick Royal Pains. It marked the seeming end of USA’s blue sky television. Sometimes you just want to relax and not worry about which character you love is going to die next. I’ll also miss Castle. Or at least the Castle that was, before the debacle that was the final season.

2. Stanislava says:

TheGood Wife, Galavant and Agent Carter :(

3. Maria says:

I kinda miss Castle.but the OLD Castle. Like up through season 5. After that it got progressively weirder and I lost interest after the non-wedding fiasco.

4. Kim says:

I’ll miss The Good Wife, Royal Pains, and Togetherness were all excellent shows. But I have to say I’ll miss Castle most of all. #RIPCaskett

5. jr. says:

I will miss most: American Idol. Mike & Molly. Limitless. Containment. Telenovela. The Family. Second Chance.

6. Tracy says:

Definitely The Good Wife – I don’t understand how the Kings could end this and then continue with another iteration. Roadies, Person of Interest, Grandfathered, Rizzoli & Isles, Galavant. So many good shows bit the dust.

• Steven says:

Well Julianna wanted out so it’d be hard to continue without her. I’ll definitely miss The Good Wife most. Also Braindead, Faking It, and Recovery Road.

7. ragnar51 says:

In no particular order: Rizzoli & Isles, POI, Hell On wheels, Feed The Beast, Vinyl, Unforgettable, Tyrant, Banshee, Blunt Talk. I’ll miss them all!! Here’s hoping 2017 is a much better year for us all. Thanks to TVL for all the great stories this year.

8. Meg says:

Castle, Castle, and Castle! Yes, the final seasons were not their finest hours but I would take those weird / poorly plotted episodes over no episodes at all. Thank you TBS for keeping the Castle love alive ❤️

• Ellen says:

Couldn’t agree more! Castle at its worst was better than all the rest. I’d have watched the hell out of a S9!

• c-mo says:

Me too!!!!!! My greatest Christmas wish was for someone to create a new show that could come close to the witty banter, etc of Castle. Current TV shows just can’t hold a candle to everything Castle gave us, we got spoiled.

9. Person of Interest! Though I am pleased it went out on mostly its own terms which is for the select few.

Good Wife leaves a bad taste after the whole green screen fiasco. Be professional

10. Emma says:

I’ll only miss Banshee and Limitless.

11. Hurkey says:

I really liked Penny Dreadful but hated the ending it was given, felt so abrupt and unresolved. Also, I loved the first 6 seasons of The Good Wife, but after how they handled Kalinda’s exit and how terrible season 7 (and the ending was) I think I would have stoped watching if it had continued. I will give the Kings another chance with Diane’s spin-off though, the trailer looked good!

12. blah says:

Recovery Road and Good Girls Revolt, especially recovery road =(

13. Kathleen says:

NBC should have let Aquarius run all 6 of its seasons. It was a summer series and pretty dang good at a time when everything else is just reruns.

14. I’m still mourning Person of Interest! It’s every bit as good on rewatch. I also miss Galavant because it was just plain fun!

15. JosiahBartlet4President says:

I miss Castle prior to the last season. But I wouldn’t have wanted it to continue without Beckett.

Also, with The Good Wife, it was a great show, and I miss it. However, it was time for it to end.

16. evababy says:

Man some of those shows I a) didn’t even know existed or b) never thought they should have been made in the first place. But I will miss Togetherness and Grandfathered. Oh yeah and Sleepy Hollow. What is it you say? Sleepy Hollow is still on? No, not that show that is coming back this month wearing Sleepy Hollow’s name, the real Sleepy Hollow.

17. KLS says:

Royal Pains. Though the characters played themselves out, I couldn’t get enough of the sunny & beautiful Hamptons while I was in the middle of yet another snowy, sub 20 degree day. And of course POI. So many layers to that smart, intelligent show.

18. MMD says:

Not in any particular order
    R&I
    Hell on Wheels
    DCI Banks
    Broadchurch and Last Tango in Halifax (neither have been cancelled but both have been seriously delayed for a couple of years
    Longmire – even though it has another season to go it will end after that. I would love Walt & company to go on for years.

Happy New Year to TVLine, their entire staff and everyone who posts here. I hope 2017 brings a kinder, gentler year with good health for everyone and not the massive loss of icons we’ve treasured and that Drumpf doesn’t do too much damage to the world.

19. Collette says:

Out of 80+ shows only 6 mattered to me and two of those only slightly. I’ll truly miss Castle, American Idol, Rizzoli & Isles and Inspector Lewis. I’ll miss Mysteries of Laura and Unforgettable a little. Most of the rest I’ve never seen and some I’ve never heard of at all.

20. Mery says:

I miss Castle so much. The last season wasn’t good but was one of the beso shows on tv

21. ninergrl6 says:

Definitely American Idol. I loved it from beginning to end. There’s going to be a huge void in my tv life this spring.
    As for short-term shows, I wished I could’ve seen more of Gallavant, Containment, and Brain Dead.

• Jimmy says:

I loved the last season of American idol. Bringing back all the previous contestant was great and we go to see the growth that they had. And they grew tremendously. I don’t know if I’m going to miss it that much because it was in its last leg, but it was a good show. A behemoth for a few years.

22. Rachel says:

Agent Carter, The Family and a few others shouldn’t have been cancelled.

23. TV Fanatic says:

Missing Agent Carter and Galavant and still can’t believe Rizzoli & Isles is over :(

24. CP says:

I was only getting invested in Rizzoli when they announced the end of it, it’s a satisfying ending. Surely better than Castle’s rushed one. I liked Aquarius too, an easy show to watch.

I however, mourn the old, good Top Gear the most. Why did Jeremy have to punch the producer over meatloaf?

25. Linda F says:

Agent Carter is the one I’ll miss the most, but I’ll also miss Brain Dead and Telenovela.

26. sunshine says:

Limitless was the cutest thing ever.

27. Daphne says:

I’ll definitely miss Argent Carter the most and I’m totally not over it (Marvel: gimme a follow-up movie or miniseries pretty please)! But I’ll also miss the likes of Limitless (couldn’t believe that wasn’t renewed, it was so awesome!), Undateable (the live format really made it great again and different from everything else on tv, especially on Friday nights), The Grinder (I believe we’ll be talking about this show in a few years the same way we now talk about Happy Endings: why did it get cancelled so soon?), Grandfathered (was just fun to watch and a nice companion to The Grinder) and even Heartbeat (which I really enjoyed thanks to the great cast)!

28. When terror rides the land
    And evil has a band
    We need a hero named GAL-A-VANT

With crisis everywhere
    There’s no such thing as fair
    Where is our champion GAL-A-VANT?

Brave! He sings of truth and justice
    Diss him and he’ll leave you bloodless

Now! We need to him with us here
    So we can face our fear
    We need our show named GAL-A-VANT!

*written with love and apologies to Alan Menken and Glenn Slater

29. Kevin says:

I’ll miss Person of Interest the most. The show got me hooked since the beginning. Also Castle which didn’t deserve to end if the series should’ve move on without Stana Katic.

30. PatriciaLee says:

The husband and I will miss Houdini & Doyle, the Castle continuation, Mike & Molly, Person of Interest, and CSI-Cyber. The husband harangues that they are death on using science to solve crimes, with obviously just wanting interrogation shows. He wants Person of Interest to come back when they were superheros doing good deeds, “not this Samaritan nonsense when they were scared to death.” with Reese not really dead, of course. Now for just me, I will also miss Rush Hour, Second Chance, The Grinder, Limitless, and Marvel’s Agent Carter. And for the 91-year-old mother, she will miss THE NIGHTLY SHOW WITH LARRY WILMORE and both she and I will miss Inspector Lewis.

31. brandy says:

American Idol. :( TV will never be the same.

32. Anne says:

I’ll miss Castle the most! Then The Good Wife.

33. Larc says:

Limitless and Mysteries of Laura. The Good Wife would be there as well if it hadn’t gone downhill so much in its last 2 seasons.

34. The loss of these shows still hurts

Agent Carter
    Limitless
    Impastor
    Powers
    The Muppets
    Castle

Castle hurts not just because it’s gone but because it was destroyed from within as it left.
    It’s sad to say that I’m actually glad it got canceled because at least it’s not continuing as a empty husk of what it had been.

35. Diane says:

I will miss American Idol, Rizzoli and Isles, the old Castle. Person of Interest was great even after they killed Taraji’s character.

36. Dan Charp says:

Love that most people miss Agent Carter and Castle. Last pick : Royal Pains… :-(

37. Diane says:

Agent Carter and Limitless, should have gotten, at least, one more year. I also enjoyed Aquarius.

38. Columbus says:

Rizzoli and Isles, Castle (but only the Castle with Beckett and Castle – not the proposed bastardized version)

39. Molly says:

Castle, Rizzoli & Isles, Mysteries of Laura, Limitless, CSI Cyber, Murder in the First, Houdini & Doyle, Inspector Lewis, Person of Interest. It was like open season on crime shows in 2016.

40. bluji says:

Two things that came to mind when scrolling through the gallery:
    – Rizzoli & Isles’ finale was absolutely amazing. It was just an incredible send-off to a great, fun series.
    – Having Elizabeth Mitchell back on my screen with Dead of Summer was great, although the series itself was a bit lackluster. It’d be great to see her land on a strong new series as a lead, because she’d deserve all of it. (And yes, I’m aware she’s on that one more international show.)

41. KT says:

Person of Interest, Limitless, The Grinder

42. Anandasky says:

Castle – especially episodes like the Blue Butterfly; Unforgettable and its random songs; and Galavant.

• georgee says:

Anandasky you are so right, Blue Butterfly was one of Castles great episodes. Mr. Terence Paul Winter did a super job when he wrote the story as he did with so many others. But some how he just lost touch with what the story was about when he became a show runner for season 8. For me seasons 4,5,6 and 7 are the best, and I miss the wonderful show.

43. Alicia says:

Agent Carter the most. Also Galavant and Masters of Sex

44. jj. says:

limitless and undateable are the two i’ll miss

45. kirads09 says:

POI
    Agent Carter
    Second Chance (it was just picking up steam, really getting good and deserved it’s title)
    Mythbusters (Grant, Kari and Tory have a Netflix series! The White Rabbit Project) – although I would rather have it end than be turned into some sort of “reality competition” show which I thought I heard was where they might be headed.

46. opus says:

I’ll miss The Good Wife (of seasons 1 – 5), Person of Interest, but most especially Agent Carter!

47. Agent Carter. We need either more episodes or a tv movie.

48. jeanna says:

Will certainly miss American Idol. It was sometimes cheesy and they kept screwing with the format, but it was still fun to watch. Really upset that Penny Dreadful ended. Such a great cast and show. Will also miss Agent Carter and Galavant. Two shows that were totally different but totally enjoyable.

49. Castle, Rizzoli and Isles, Second Chance and Limitless