George Michael Dead Eli Stone

George Michael Tributed as 'Genius' and 'Class Act' by Eli Stone Creators

Eli Stone creators Greg Berlanti and Marc Guggenheim each remembered George Michael and his contributions to the ABC series, shortly after news broke that the pop icon had passed away on Sunday morning at age 53.

Starring Jonny Lee Miller as a San Francisco lawyer, Eli Stone ran for two short seasons (starting in January 2008) and often named episodes after Michael’s songs, as well as used his music as an “internal soundtrack” for the hallucination-prone title character.

“I’ve only witnessed true genius a few times in my life,” Berlanti shared on Twitter late Sunday. “One of those was watching George Michael lay down ‘Feeling Good'” for Eli Stone‘s 13th episode, “Soul Free,” in which the singer, appearing as a God-like figure, led what was eventually a group performance of the aforementioned tune (seen in the video below).

“He was an incredible talent and even more a sweet, kind man to all lucky enough to work with or spend time around him,” Berlanti added. “May he rest in peace.”

Guggenheim meanwhile hailed Michael as a “class act,” noting that his second daughter was born the night Michael taped one of his four appearances on the series.

1. Lysh says:

I’ve done a bunch of background work before and one night I worked on Eli Stone as (I think) a high school kid attending a George Michael concert. He was very entertaining and talked to the group of us between takes. 53 is way too young to go. RIP
    2016 has been rough.

2. Stefany says:

I tuned in to the series premiere because of the connection to George Michael and the song Faith. I stuck around because I enjoyed the series very much – Jonny Lee, Victor and George. I have both seasons on DVD, which became more dear to me tonight.

3. N!loofar says:

Time for a rewatch💔

4. Marie says:

I loved Eli Stone. This TVLine item brought back some memories. Need to revisit that great show. Really inspired usage of George Michael’s songs!

5. Mia Shelbie says:

I can’t believe that George is dead. He was a ray of hope for me. And this, This is A Death Of A dream. An alteration of my youth. I can’t never be the same again. RIP George. The Lord will welcome you into the light of his face

6. Fernanda says:

Eli Stone for me was the male version of Ally McBeal.. Eli had George Michael and Ally had Vonda Shepard.. yes both are lawyers and there were different reasons for their behaviors, Eli was sick and Ally was so insecure about her love life.. yes, it’s time to rewatch both shows

7. GeoDiva says:

Eli Stone! Forgot how much I miss this show!

8. bobbie says:

Eli Stone is on hulu.

9. casino says:

In fact no matter if someone doesn’t know afterward its up to other users that they will
    help, so here it occurs.

10. Stephanie Q. says:

I LOVED Eli Stone! ABC cancelled it too soon. Season 1 with the George Michael theme was so cool. I’m rewatching Season 1 and just saw ep. 9 where George appears in real life as a client. He was fantastic! I wish we had more shows like Eli Stone. Miss George so much.