TVLine Wish List 2017

Team TVLine Shares Its 2017 Wish List for Outlander, Gotham, Stranger Things, Vamp Diaries, Suits, X-Files and More

Are you there, TV gods? It’s us, Team TVLine, and we’ve got a carefully crafted wish list for the new year that demands your attention.

Our small-screen desires for 2017 include the quick returns of two favorite comedies, renewals for some struggling shows and a couple of character comebacks.

We’re also praying to the Powers That Be for a Gotham hero, Leftovers answers and Gilmore Emmys. And is it too much to ask for a Peak TV breather? Plus: Who needs to hook up? Who should host SNL? Which shows deserve revivals?

Here’s what TVLine Founder/Editor-in-Chief Michael Ausiello, Editor-at-Large Matt Webb Mitovich, Executive Editor Kimberly Roots, Senior Editors Andy Swift and Dave Nemetz, and West Coast Editor Vlada Gelman have singled out as dream TV scenarios in the New Year.

Flip through the gallery above (or click here) to check out our wishes, then hit the comments with your thoughts.

1. I loved the wish about Outlander and Nina Dobrev! I’m just a little sad there was not a Once Upon a Time wish in there 😟

I hope you will not mind me throwing in my wish for 2017? So here’s: I hope Robin Hood’s return to OUAT is permanent and he’ll stay for good 💕

2. james says:

Once is beyond hope at this point.

3. LADY_in_MD says:

Professional TV watcher is my dream job!
    Thank you TVline team for this wish list
    I agree with the Gotham and Gilmore wishes!

4. Sims says:

Hey tvline team not sure where to write this but if you could ask your ad provider to look at it’s mobile version ads that would be neat. I couldn’t actually get through the whole gallery because at different points it redirects me to a whole new website ad that I can’t go “back” to the gallery from so I have to start all over. I gave up after the 5th attempt. It’s happening in all your gallery articles on mobile devices for my partner and I (latest software on iPhone 7 and Samsung Galaxy). Sorry this is so OTT but needed to vent somewhere and it happened while trying to read this article so…

5. hbeachman says:

Here’s MY wish for TV in 2017 and beyond, Team TVLine (Surprised it wasn’t one of your wishes too): Instead of series reboots, how about original programming, never seen before on TV or movie screens?

6. Joanna says:

RE: Kate McKinnon, I thought the cast signed seven year contracts? Taran Killam talked about this extensively when discussing his exit recently. McKinnon joined in April of 2012 so how would her contract be up at the end of this season? Wouldn’t she be committed through the 2018-2019 season?

7. Phun says:

Nooooooo!!!! SNL, Please, Please, Please re-sign Kate McKinnon for many more years! I’ll give you a dollar! Big Bucks here! Ka-Ching!

8. Court says:

Did not expect to see Profit 👏👏👏

9. ToyCannon says:

My wish: That Bobby Ewing shows up on January 1 to tell us that 2016 was all just a dream.

10. Jovana says:

My wish would be for Pitch to get renewed! :)

11. Stacy says:

#14: YES! Miniseries style television is the wave of the future. More in depth than a movie, but without fluffy filler that distracts from the real story being told. I’m loving Underground; they’re rocking the shorter episode count.

#16: I would LOVE for Girl Meets World to transplant to Freeform. Boy Meets World strength was growing the show in real time; it benefited the cast and the audience.

12. jenn says:

I’ve been having issues with your slideshows for a while now, and its not an adblock issue. Your slideshows always go back the first page and it’s frustrating. Is there a reason, something im doing wrong?

Thanks!

13. ScottJ says:

More shows that don’t use cliffhangers, time jumps and “24 hours earlier”. There is so much product out there now that I use any excuse I can to stop watching a show, and these tricks will have me hitting the off button every time.

14. Kevin says:

Let Kate McKinnon stay on SNL for the next two or three years if she’s planning to move on for a huge movie career like it did with Kristen Wiig.

15. DarkDefender says:

Yes to all of this.
    Also, professional TV watcher <– sign me up.

16. datdudemurphy says:

Girl Meets World is in desperate need of being picked up by someone for additional seasons.

17. Marco Piazzo says:

I agree with Lauren and Kelly being nominated, but the revival itself? No, no, no.

I don’t think the work is of good enough quality (or good quality period) and ASP needs more of a reality check than congratulations after the way she especially wrecked Rory beyond repair and forced things so they could fit the ending she wanted, everything else be damned. Only the HTGAWM finale did worse, and there there was the understandable fact that they literally couldn’t reshoot the flashforwards with the kids, so at least they had an excuse, however flimsy. ASP has NONE.

I’d also redirect your Leftovers wish towards a show that to me needs it more, American Crime. I get that the crime is just the catalyst for all the action afterwards, but to me their refusing to reveal who did it became more lazy than inspired.

As for my own wishes?

I am wishing for the Netflix show based on the movie ‘Suburra’ to be as good as it, for some network/web service to revive Limitless somehow, for a good cop show about reopening crimes of the past, for the survival of ‘The Exorcist’ and a second season of ‘The OA’ among other things…

• Jecly says:

Agreed! Lauren and Kelly were great but the show itself wasn’t marvelous. It was a decent revival in a crop of the other 100 reboots but it had glaring issues, some of which really tainted the storyline and was the reason the revival’s grade is just ‘B’ and not an A. Rory’s character suffered through the worst kind of character development, like you mentioned, one which was done to fit an ending that the writer just HAD to have.

18. grys03 says:

Netflix has done a wonderful job of producing what the networks couldn’t or wouldn’t – especially in the grittier side of superheroes.
    If only they would discover:
    – Tomb of Dracula (the Marv Wolfman/Gene Colan version) &
    – Master of Kung-Fu (hokey name but the Doug Moench/Paul Gulacy really captured the pulp feel)

19. kirads09 says:

Agree with Matt about Gotham – we need one for the good guys – or one good guy to win – at some point. Just love the show though.

Absolutely agree with Aus about The Leftovers. They need to answer something or what was the point of the whole otherwise great series?

Vlada – re Profit. Have you checked out Incorporated on SyFy? It is set in the future but timely theme indeed. Perhaps a cautionary tale.

20. Cas says:

Is Nina really that busy? I thought it was already a done deal that she would be back haha.

21. kmw says:

I wish for Bones to end on a good note despite recent spoilers. Please don’t go down the road so many others have and pull the chain on long time viewers who have invested in this show and characters for 12 years otherwise some of us will wonder why they wanted to come back for another year. Don’t get gimmicky please just let Bones be Bones

• mooshki says:

I agree – my favorite way for a series to end is to stick with the heart of the show that viewers watched for. I hate when they try for something “big’ for the finale – I want to be able to imagine them continuing on as they were.

22. mooshki says:

Funny, I was just thinking about Profit a few days ago.

Kate McKinnon deserves better than SNL.

23. Joey Padron says:

Great TV wishlist from the TVLine staff. Hope 2017 will be a great year of TV like it was this year.

24. SG says:

Vlada has most people’s dream job, or at least most users of this site.

Complains about having to work.

25. Pitch-Girl says:

“That every outlet starts making fewer shows. Dear broadcast networks, cable channels, streaming sites, digital offshoots, over-the-top subscription services and toaster ovens: Slow your roll. (That goes double for you, Netflix.) I’m a professional TV watcher, and I can’t keep up.”
    Yes! I agree with Vlada’s wish 100%. Never thought I’d want this but yes to less TV shows.
    There are so many great shows that go unnoticed because there’s just so much content out there. For example Good Behavior is an underrated gem that I stumbled upon by mistake and now it has become must watch TV for me but I have not seen a single article about that show on this site..

26. Eurydice says:

I’d vote for fewer “Shocking Deaths!!!” It’s really tiresome to see every other week, “EPs explain why ____ had to die”.

27. Sarah says:

I second that about Girl Meets World @Andy Swift!

28. Alex says:

Cancel Saturday Night Live and don’t talk about any of the seasons past about 2001 or 2003. Remember the good times.

29. Phil says:

Thumbs up to the Crazy Ex-Girlfriend renewal… somewhere. :)
    Also, that Days of our Lives snags another renewal, as well! Can’t lose my other dose of TV crazy at the same time!