Year in Review
Best TV Quotes 2016

2016 in Review: Quotes of the Year!

A happy ending for Downton Abbey. Arrow awarding a code name. A bittersweet farewell on Sleepy Hollow. An NCIS agent accepting a truth.  Gilmore Girls‘ long-awaited final four words.

It was no easy task to choose our favorite dialogue from 2016, but we managed to distill the last 12 months of TV into 75 sound bites that are heartbreaking, hilarious and — in many cases — a little dirty.

Among the highlights of our Quotes of the Year: Rami Malek’s poignant acceptance speech at the Critics’ Choice Awards, a devastating goodbye on The Walking Dead (yeah, you know the one), a cheeky meta moment on Supergirl and one of Westworld‘s most unforgettable monologues.

Check out the gallery above right (or click here for direct access) for a look at our picks for the year’s most memorable lines, then hit the Comments with your own favorites!

1. Kevin says:

Those Timeless quotes are the best and that “hold the door” moment is #1 in my opinion.

2. kia says:

Excellent Bones quote. That was sucha fun scene. David/Booth really did look pretty amazing in those glasses. :))

• kmw says:

Yes that was good and the other one Brennan had in the men’s right episode where she replied to the quote about travelling ” so do infectious diseases” but yes David looked good in those glasses and that was a fun ending to that episode

3. I think you could do a whole bunch of quotes for Legends of tomorrow. Yea that one was good but they have great quotes every episode.

4. Andreia says:

For me one of the best lines on tv id not here, was from game of silence, and the line I say is also Gil’s plan, that line was amazing : ” I’d set him on fire, shoot him in the face and go get a bag of tacos”.

5. Guess says:

I think you could have chosen a better quote from Arrow, i would have prefered one that Oliver said in the 100th, where he talked to Thea about why he had to leave the dream World, that he wasn’t doing what he did so he could get a reward, that was a powerful scene and speech, and i would have added in one from Flash where Oliver and Barry talk in the time vault about how anyone would have made the same choice as Barry if they were in his position, and the one from Legends where Barry and Oliver talk about what their lifes would have looked like normal.

6. I’m sad. You missed my #1: Love is love is love is love is love is love….” – Tony Awards. Lin-Manuel Miranda. Creator and title character of “Hamilton.

7. evababy says:

From This Is Us I still love: “You’re always making sure Kate doesn’t eat too much and Randall’s not too adopted. But where’s Kevin? Oh, right-he’s dead.”

From Black-ish during Charlie’s fake funeral:

Dre: “Hey man, How’re you feeling?”

Charlie: “A little emotional. A lot of people came to say goodbye to me. Don’t see my parents though. But in all fairness I didn’t go to theirs either.”

8. SGFan says:

I’ve never watched an episode of Fresh off the boat, but that was the funniest quote in the gallery. I may need to check out that show. Can’t believe there was no Black-ish quote yet that show has some of the best dialogue on TV

9. Bob says:

Was the cabbage doll quote from fresh off the boat from this yr or last yr? Bc it was hilarious but the quote here is good too.

10. Micaela says:

The Iris remark reference Oliver had me in stiches I especially loved Barry’s exasperated look. He was so having season 1 three list flash backs. It’s ok bear I think we’ve established that you’ve defo got the girl so there’s no need to fret about her appreciation of Ollie’s looks.

11. ‘HOLD THE DOOR’ forever the best one!!!

12. DreamRose311 says:

The blurb about Rami Malek’s acceptance speech should include him starting with “Are you seeing this too?”

13. Labouche says:

Primary takeaway from this list: y’all love a meta-joke.

14. Jill says:

Seth Meyer’s quote made me cry again. His monologue the day after the election was so moving, I cried then, I cried rewatching it online & I teared up reading it. He really came into his own during the election. He became must see for me this fall.

15. Of course they chose Rumple slutshaming Emma and generally being a disgusting misogynist.

There were literally a million better quotes but they have a weird hard on for the statutory rapist Neal and his equally disgusting father.

16. TvPeong says:

Awww… that This is Us quote made me cry again.

17. RedReddington says:

Thank you for not showing a picture of Glenn with his head bashed in..I don’t quite think I’ll ever get that image out of my head, unfortunately. 🤢

18. while the “Lucifer” quote listed as good…there was a much better one that I would suggest one from ” A Priest Walks into a Bar’, Season 1, Episode 9

Father Frank: “We all have our demons.”
    Lucifer: “My demon tends the bar.”

19. April Livings says:

Thank you for putting that Seth Meyers quote on the list!!! It was one of the first things said after this election that made me heal.