How Did Timeless Apple Watch Go Unnoticed? Did Dick Van Dyke Disturb? Bang's Big Omission? And More Qs

We’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, we’re lobbing queries left and right about shows including Timeless, Nashville, Top Model, Rectify and Designated Survivor!

1 | We know life currently The Vampire Diariessucks for everyone on Vampire Diaries, but wasn’t the Christmas episode a total downer?

2 | At this point on The Walking Dead, do Negan’s homicidal tendencies still have any shock value… or value, period? Was anyone (except maybe Rosita) sorry to see Spencer go? Any guesses as to the identity of the individual keeping an eye on Alexandria? Lastly, how do we think [Spoiler] is going to die?

3 | Watching CBS’ colorized Dick Van Dyke Show episode from 1965, was it almost jarring to hear Rob get asked if he “hit” or “kick[ed]” wife Laura for humiliating his boss on national television?

Timeless4 | Shouldn’t Timeless‘ Wyatt, a 21st-century soldier, have made quicker mincemeat out of the Redcoats he tussled with? Meanwhile, TVLine reader Penny asks: “Benedict Arnold questions Flynn about his binoculars but doesn’t say anything about the Apple Watch that is clearly visible and lights up to tell time?”

5 | Do the girls on the re-branded America’s Next Top Model seem more editorial than they have in the past? But do you miss having boys in the competition? Also, did contestant Starr’s extreme infatuation with Kyle come off a bit stalker-ish?

6 | Even at once-per-season, is NCIS using the Young Ducky flashback device a smidgen too often? And did you shout out, “Mr. Sheffield!” or “Shane Donovan!” when Mama Mallard’s secret loverncis-new-orleans-ory was “revealed”?

7 | Did you sense that NCIS: New Orleans was going somewhere with the “energy” between Gregorio and Meghan Ory’s G-woman? Also, are you relieved or ticked off that LaSalle was being played by his ex?

8 | Safe to say that that Fox’s Star won’t be getting a Christmas card from the foster care system? Also, did you think Star would cleanly KO Simone’s dad with a lamp or frying pan, versus brutally stabbing him??

9 | Rectify‘s very final scene: dream, or flash-forward?

10 | AmongDESIGNATED SURVIVOR Designated Survivor‘s several leaps of logic, isn’t it one of the Secret Service’s very specific jobs to keep an eye out for opened windows with an eye-line to possibly shoot the President? Also, in addition to now Aaron, are you starting to wonder about Lisa-the-reporter, who seems a bit anxious to find out who is in custody for Nassar’s murder?

11 | Were you surprised or relieved that Younger didn’t have Liza more torn between Josh and Charles at the end of the finale?

12 | On a scale of 1 to 1.25 (out of 10) what are the Honeymooner reboot’s chances of success?

13 | Prior to reading our Scandal Catch-Up Guide, were you surprised by how very little you remembered about Season 5?

14 | WasPure Genius Pure Genius‘ kidney donation chain story compelling in its own right, or simply reminiscent of Grey’s Anatomy tackling the same eight years ago? Also, did guest star Raychel Diane Weiner (formerly of Flesh and Bone) have you briefly doing a Miley Cyrus double-take?

15 | Going off the Nashville premiere preview, might the new showrunners be the best thing that’s ever happened to the various ‘shipper factions? But doesn’t the flashy/slightly cheesy opening title sequence feel a little out of place now that the series has adopted a quieter, more cerebral tone? Also, when does the Maddie-not-being-a-brat thing kick in?

16 | We get that the big twist might’ve made it creatively challenging, but isn’t it still a little odd that The Big Bang Theory showed us every character’s reaction to Halley being born except the actual mother, Bernadette?

Hit the comments with your answers – and any other Qs you care to share!

1. Kevin says:

#2 – how in the world did someone wanted to take down Negan? A fake bullet or as they called it “blanks”.

2. Judy says:

#6 – Absolutely not. They’re always good episodes, plus we don’t get much Ducky. I wish Maggie would make another appearance though. The end of the first “Young Ducky” episode was so promising.

• Drew says:

I enjoy them too. But once in a season is enough. Sort of like visits from our CGIS Agent Borin – leave us wanting a little more rather than let us be sick of it.

• grazelled says:

One the best things about the episode. I always make sure to watch episodes with younger Ducky.

• Larc says:

Agree. I think Ducky is one of the standouts among the dwindling number of interesting characters on NCIS, whether current or in a flashback to his younger days.

3. #3….just a decade prior, we saw Ricky spank Lucy several times on screen. So, progress? Thank goodness on “That’s My Boy” the Peters’ race wasn’t mentioned using the terms of that day….

• TV Gord says:

I don’t recall Ricky ever spanking Lucy. When did that happen?

It is jarring to hear that, but it’s a sign of the times. I remember an early episode of The Andy Griffith Show where the notion of wife-beating was treated casually. It was more for comedic effect than an actual belief that it would happen (which is still sick, in its own way).

Don’t forget The Honeymooners, though. Ralph was always threatening to punch his wife “to the moon”.

We have evolved, although it seems we take one step forward and two steps back, sometimes.

• Butch says:

There was an episode where Lucy and Ricky make a bet about whether Ricky will lose his temper before Lucy buys another hat. Lucy buys the hat first and then tries to get Ricky to lose his temper before the hat is delivered. She does many things to Ricky to make him explode but he doesn’t. Holding his temper ends up saving Ricky money on a new act. He calls off the bet and tells Lucy to get a new hat. She pretends to call for the hat. As soon as she hangs up the door bell rings with the hat. Ricky realizes that Lucy put him through hell for nothing. He grabs her and spanks her.

• E. D. Boddy says:

Alice knew Ralph’s “threats” were always idle. She was never afraid of him, and always gave everything right back to him. (Although I’m surprised no one ever slams her over her fat-shaming of him.)

• Rex the Wonder Dog says:

Sheldon did spank Amy a few seasons back though. Regressing?

• E. D. Boddy says:

But also remember she asked him to spank her harder. She was tricking him into sexually exciting her, as she did by faking the extent of her illness so he’d rub (Vicks on) her chest.

4. MMD says:

#6 – I agree with Judy above. I love all the Ducky backstory that we can get. He is one of the gems of the show and I hope we get to see more of him as I love him as a character and an actor.

#7 – I didn’t feel one way or the other about it. It just seemed that LaSalle did what he was trained to do, keep people safe. As he said, I now know what it feels like to feel like a Dad and I liked it. If the storyline hadn’t played out the way it did, I would hope that LaSalle would have gotten a paternity test eventually.

#9 – I’m choosing to think fast forward and nobody is going to change my mind!!

#10 – Designated Survivor is losing me and I still haven’t watched the last episode. It just frustrates me. I think I will stick to Madam Secretary.

#12 – minus 100

#16 – Yes it is odd that we didn’t see Bernadette’s reaction so we don’t know whether she takes to motherhood or wants nothing to do with it.

5. CourtTV says:

I noticed the watch too in Timeless. Besides looking like magic, wrist watches still weren’t invented until the 1860s.

6. Tom says:

~
    If [Spoiler] does die, I hope a red shirt is being worn
    ~
    6 | Even at once-per-season, is NCIS using the Young Ducky flashback device a smidgen too often? And did you shout out, “Mr. Sheffield!” or “Shane Donovan!” when Mama Mallard’s secret lover was “revealed”?
    ~
    If I watched the show I would have shouted out “Alec Colson!”
    ~
    ~
    Damn it, why can’t Meghan Ory be in something I want to watch?
    ~
    10 | Among Designated Survivor‘s several leaps of logic, isn’t it one of the Secret Service’s very specific jobs to keep an eye out for opened windows with an eye-line to possibly shoot the President? Also, in addition to now Aaron, are you starting to wonder about Lisa-the-reporter, who seems a bit anxious to find out who is in custody for Nassar’s murder?
    ~
    I’m wondering if Hookstratten knows more than she lets on
    ~
    ~
    1 and only because that’s the lowest option
    ~
    ~
    I was only half right on my guess. I was guessing they’d name her after Howard’s mom. It’s going to be interesting to see how things play out.

7. Dr.Bombay says:

10. Forget that stuff. I want to know how the Capitol got rebuilt so fast.

• Gwen says:

I know, right? I didn’t think that government contractors worked that quickly. We’re still hanging in there with the show because we like Keifer and Maggie so much, but the plot holes are expanding with each episode, it seems.

8. Daisy says:

6. The flashbacks were interesting the first time and the first time only. I hope they let it go now.
    7. Relieved about LaSalle. But still the whole storyline seemed kind of pointless. I guess it will come back to bite him some sort of way but what a waste of viewers’ time.

9. Pamela says:

#9 – That was a dream. Daniel was finally allowing himself to have hope for the future, and it was lovely to see.

10. Monica says:

#12 – hopefully -10

11. Shar says:

Re # 6. I enjoy the young Ducky episodes and they do make sense given the elder Ducky’s tendency to ramble and think of his past.
    However am I the only one who thinks that there is 1 ( maybe 2 ) too many characters now and that we are losing valuable time from the original agents. Also what’s up with the ongoing p****** contest between Torres and Reeves? It’s infantile, sorry Wilmer.

• lrdslvrhnd says:

Oh, absolutely. Definitely need to get rid of Reeves. Either Torres or new woman needs to go, too… not sure which one.

• Peggy says:

I say get rid of Torres and the new woman and keep Reeves. At least he adds style like Tony did.

• grys03 says:

Actually don’t mind Torres or Quinn but at it’s Reeves that annoys me so far. & definitely agree that there is at least 1 main cast character too many…

12. PatriciaLee says:

6. No, because we finally got a Ducky back story that didn’t turn out a complete downer. I had to laugh that Mom kept her mouth shut about relationships, after moving to the US with Ducky. Lesson learned, I guess…haha. 7. I was relieved that she felt she could turn to him in such a crisis, knowing he could handle it and having trust in him. 10. For TV plotting to move, you just have to skip over some reality…a sudoku puzzle with some numbers repeating on a line. As long as things keep running along, we have to shrug it off. 10. I wonder about her, but I’m picking up on that she might be on another good guy side we haven’t met, yet. 12. 1.000001

13. Spence says:

I nearly fell asleep during the finale of TWD. Negan is not compelling in the slightest, and his threats of death no longer have any meaning. The writers really screwed themselves with that cliffhanger, and by the fact that Negan has done nothing impressive since then.

14. Maria says:

#10…yep and yep.
    Also, can we elect Tom Kirkman as POTUS for real? Please? :)

15. Ange says:

Definitely Shane Donovan…watched Days with my grandmother. And disappointed LaSalle was so gullible and seemingly desperate.

16. Bella says:

6 – Nope, got to disagree. They could make a Young Ducky spin-off and put it on every week, as far as I’m concerned. He’s adorable. And it gives David McCallum a chance to shine. Can’t argue with that, the guy’s a very fine actor and he’s earned it.

17. Jason says:

2) It’s not really about shock value as much as the creeping dread of the inevitable. Negan is as Negan does. He’s not going to stop doing horrible things just because we’ve seen him do a lot of horrible things. Nobody liked Spencer but they certainly liked Olivia. And with his abduction of Eugene, beating of Aaron and creeping on Rick’s sweet suburban existence, it was meant to be the last straw for Rick. The worm can’t turn without the proper motivation.
    3) Maybe it’s because I’ve seen that episode many times or maybe it’s because I watch a lot of older movies and tv but it doesn’t really bother me. It’s not like Rob would ever do such a thing. It’s still fascinating how we bristle at things that seemed innocuous in the past. We’re always amused by those things that are treated casually in the present but were verboten in the past. We’re just as reactionary today. Just about different taboos.
    7) Anything that keeps Meghan Ory on my TV is fine by me. And I’ve got to say, she and Gregorio would make a seriously cute couple. Maybe Gregorio would be less grumpy. In LaSalle’s case, I’ve got to say I’m glad. I tend not to like these Deus Ex Machina bombshells that show up just to disrupt the statis quo. It would have been one thing if we had actually met the woman beforehand. Maybe lay a little groundwork in a previous season. Most shows don’t think that far ahead.
    15) The de-bratification of Maddie is likely to be a process. A change of that magnitude won’t happen over night. Though it seemed to in the other direction, that’s more down to the previous writers. The current show runners are apt to take a gradual path of enlightenment.

18. Kim R says:

6. NCIS – Ducky episodes happen so rarely. I can’t imagine them being overdone. I do find I’m not enjoying the over abundance of agents this season. I think I would lose Alex Quinn if it was up to me.
    7. NCIS:NO – I was more annoyed that LaSalle didn’t use his investigation skills and actually look into the paternity of the child etc. I thought it was unrealistic that he would just accept it and then take her in as well and become an instant family. It seemed like a pointless storyline.

19. lrdslvrhnd says:

6) I’m actively hoping for an “NCIS: Young Ducky” spinoff.

20. ninergrl6 says:

#11 Both. I enjoy Liza with both Josh and Charles, but both guys also deserve better than someone who is stringing them along. The Younger finale was shocking and heartbreaking on many levels, but the show never fails to entertain.

21. NP20 says:

Didn’t understand why LaSalle didn’t immediately ask for a paternity test. What kind of investigator is he?

We gave up on Designated Survivor a couple episodes ago. The idea is compelling but nothing seemed believable

On Younger as much as I like her with Josh I’d like to see her with Charles for a bit

22. dlraetz says:

#16-Mr Sheffield-where’s Fran?

23. robin says:

#7 they mentioned they were involved and gregorio wanted to focus on her career

24. Chloe says:

6. Definitely “Shane”!!!! LOL

25. skrable2a says:

6 — I think this Young Ducky episode, particularly having the two share a moment together, might be a hint that David McCallum could be leaving the series. it sure seemed like a final moment in flashbacks.

One you didn’t ask, was about Scorpion: It sure seems like Tim and Paige being worried about his spinal condition is setting something up by the end of the year

26. 4. We should never make the mistake of thinking the soldiers of past eras were less skilled or determined than those today. Facing battle during that era was an act of single-minded courage and determination. Soldiers were used to facing overwhelming danger and fighting anyway. It’s what they did. One man wouldn’t scare them much.
    As for the Apple Watch… Honestly, it reminds me of the 1632 novels by Eric Flint, et al. In those books, when Grantville first arrived in the past the things that most amazed the downtimers(people from that era) weren’t the pieces of advanced technology. Instead it was things like the mechanical typewriter, or binoculars, things that were just outside of the downtimes capability to make. They were amazed by those simpler things, because they could understand how they worked, even if they couldn’t make them themselves. The fancier devices were so foreign that they just seemed like magic. I figure it’s the same thing here.

27. Phredd! says:

I love the new quieter, more languid tone of CMT’S “Nashvile” . . . And I agree the old jangly guitary opening was a bit jarring . . . Maybe they can do a more acoustic version to match the new vibe of the show . . .

28. Melissa Garner says:

Bernadette will probably have ppd. Its a real problem with some new mothers. So maybe they are going to address the issue.

29. Peggy says:

I love the young “Ducky” episodes and Charles Shaughnessy will always be Shane Donovan to me.

30. Bernie says:

#15 – “Also, when does the Maddie-not-being-a-brat thing kick in?” NOT SOON ENOUGH.