Empire Ratings Season 3

Ratings: Empire Rises in Earlier Time Slot, Setting Star Up for Decent Debut

Cheer up, Cookie: Fox’s Empire wrapped its fall run on Wednesday night with 7.6 million total viewers and a 2.7 demo rating (per finals) — up 10 percent and two tenths from last week’s series lows, despite airing in an earlier time slot.

Leading out of that, Star drew 6.7 mil and a 2.2 (with an average “C+” grade from TVLine readers), matching Lethal Weapon‘s September debut rating.

Over on CBS, Survivor did 9.1 mil and a 1.9, down a bit from both its May finale (9.5 mil/2.1) and its year-ago closer (9.5 mil/2.2). Similarly, the reunion show (6.4 mil/1.3) was off two tenths from the previous one.

The fall finales for ABC’s The Goldbergs (6.2 mil/1.7) and Speechless (5.5 mil/1.6) both saw meaningful gains, while Modern Family (6.8 mil/2.0) slipped two tenths from its last fresh episode. In turn, black-ish (5.5 mil/1.6) dipped a tenth from its last airing out of an orginal MF, while Designated Survivor (6.2 mil/1.2) is currently up 19 percent in viewers (to its largest audience since Oct. 12) plus one tenth in the demo, entering its three-month hiatus.

NBC’s Pentatonix Christmas Special did 7.5 mil and a 1.4, leading into the SNL Christmas round-up’s 5.8 mil/1.6.

1. Robert Pecorino says:

The Pentatonix thing? It was easily the best music show on television in the last 5 years. The sound quality and production value were sensational. Sad that my favorite website is just writing it off.

2. kmw says:

Yes Empire rose but not a great rise especially for a show that’s off for almost three months. And yes it is a respectable debut for Star but Lethal Weapon isn’t Empire and so those numbers will not stay there. Also I am amused( even though I know HH numbers don’t count) that the Christmas special on NBC almost had as many viewers as Empire did. Empire is still a winner for FOX but no longer the king it once was. Good for The Goldbergs and nice that DS rose. now for the long wait for it. Survivor still hanging in there.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Empire has been sliding all season. The fact that it went up at all, and in an odd time slot, is nothing short of an early Christmas miracle. Similarly, no one at Fox was/is expecting Star to put up/retain Empire-like numbers.

• J.Williams says:

J.Williams @ kmw & MATT webb … Don’t..!!hate on EMPIRE like that because
        I know you most definitely know your Job
        BUT…i know for a fact if a show can somewhat vanish twice for 3 months
        a year…in still have great ratings..then that has to be a great show of all times……
        ” i mean who kill J.R.”
        Would most definitely agree especially when millions and I mean MILLIONS!!! of people who like ME..were expecting to veiw finale in its original time slot miss seeing because of its earlier time slot change….now even after EMPIRE…given up original TIME SLOT to fox new debut “STARS”…and the unintentional lost of millions of veiwers like ME.!! Empire had STILL received good High UNSTOPPABLE top slot local broadcasting on & over the air RATINGS….
        I caught the finaley today on DEMAND…and don’t know about you all but i can’t wait to march get here.!!!

• kate says:

I have like five Empires sitting on my DVR, its one of those shows (and I went through this last year too with it) that I think I dread watching and then I easily watch like three at a time. It is making me think, though, it might have to leave my recording because I just don’t have time for a show I don’t independently want to watch. I’d say I would save it for On Demand or Netflix, but I said the same about Gotham and I think I am at least a whole season behind on that show. Which is unfortunate, because I can now record more than two shows at a time.

• SG says:

I do the same thing. Then I’ll get bored some night and end up staying up way too late binging the show. I do the same with several other shows. Netflix has changed how I enjoy watching tv. This season of Empire is better than last season, minus the whole Andre seeing his dead ex wife plot.

• Donna Collins says:

Funny thing, I’m enjoying the Andre story line! It’s unique seeing this side of him. Unique I’ve ever seen on tv. Keeps me glued and he finally let her go.

• Mary says:

I have the whole season on my DVR and admit I have only watched the first episode. I don’t know it is not a must see for me anymore but when I have free time and bored I will probably watch and then make the decision if I should delete it off.

• Sally McLinn says:

Being off for 3 months is going to kill this show. I always have to read recaps to catch up on what happened before. Maybe Fox should experiment like Netflix and “package” all the shows at one time and release them online? I dunno….but I lose interest and momentum when it’s off that long.
      Now what could help is if there are crossover appearances on Star.

• Sal says:

I’m so behind on Empire, last episode I saw was Mariah’s, but anyways, on YouTube I saw a crossover between Roland(Lenny Kravitz) and Lucious… idk if it’s the premiere(On my DVR), upcoming, or a joke about Lee, meaning, he claims Star is nothing like Empire, however, having Lucious negotiating with the girls and their managers trying to sign them, would be EVERYTHING like Empire(that’s what I got from the video) just wanted to say this considering your comment LOL

3. Whatevah says:

I hate those 3 month breaks! Hate them!

4. Lorali says:

I love seeing all the throwback footage of Cookie and Lucious but what originally drew me in was the great music that the two brothers performed, as well as all the name calling that Cookie did with Anika (boo boo kitty). It’s lost its comedy aspect along with its past catchy music. Timbaland needs to return to help y’all out.

5. shirley says:

I enjoy watching Empire. But sometimes I get tired of the family fighting against each other. But the main thing I truly enjoyed that it was on at 8 p.m.

6. Angella says:

What I cannot understand why is it that Rhonda did not get a burial.