Riverdale Season 1 Photos

Riverdale Poster Serves Up Malted Milkshakes With a Side of Murder

On its surface, the town of Riverdale seems like a great place to visit — that is, if you can survive the trip.

The CW on Thursday released the official poster for its upcoming Archie Comics drama — premiering Jan. 26 at 9/8c — and much like the show itself, it’s a perfect marriage of Americana and American crime:

Riverdale Poster

The poster finds Archie (played by newcomer KJ Apa) seated across from Betty (Lili Reinhart) and Veronica (Camila Mendes) in an old-school diner. And if that not-so-subtle hint at a lust triangle isn’t enough for you, there are also a few supporting players looking in from the outside: Jughead (Cole Sprouse), Josie (Ashleigh Murray) and Cheryl (Madelaine Petsch).

And then, of course, there’s that tagline: “A great place to get away with it all.” Could one of the clean-cut “teens” pictured in this poster also be — gasp — a killer?!

Take a good, long look at the poster above, then drop a comment with your thoughts on Riverdale below: Will you be watching?

1. Wordsmith says:

I’m probably not the first to point it out, but I can’t get over Archie’s uncanny Edward Cullen vibe…

• Andy Swift says:

That actually ~hadn’t~ occurred to me, though it’s all I’m going to be able to see now. Thanks for that. :P

• Wordsmith says:

I know, right? You can’t unsee it.
        The three-shades-too-pale complexion and dramatic bone structure, the boy band hair, even the clothes and the way he carries himself…

• ScottJ says:

The other roles he’s played recently (since he’s only a newcomer to American network TV audiences..) have all been geeky schoolboys so its probably a deliberate attempt to get away from that sort of look.

• ScottJ says:

In that case it must be deliberate. I’ve seen KJ Apa in major roles in two other shows recently (since he’s not actually a newcomer) and his characters were nothing like that.

• Mallory says:

omg I thought I was the only one who saw “Edward.” lol I can’t get past it!!

2. Smurffette says:

Yooooo I loved this pilot at comic con!!!

And the Betty/Veronica dinamic is amazing!

If I HAD to choose between the triangle based on the pilot…..I lean more so towards the B/A bond.

3. Joe says:

This has to be one of the most pointless and boring pilots I’ve ever seen. Bertlanti camp needs to cool it with the comics.

4. Meghan says:

I am pretty excited for this show. I’ve been a big fan of the comics since I was a little kid and they have recently relaunched the series with a more adult bent. The casting looks pretty good!

5. T.W.S.S. says:

The pilot cannot come soon enough. I’m getting mixed messages from the ad campaign (small-town murder mystery, multi-generational soap, both?), and would like to see the final product.

6. John036 says:

Lol @ Veronica drinking the chocolate shake and Betty drinking the vanilla. A horrible poster, but I do like the tongue-in-cheek aspect of it.

7. Kate says:

So they’re turning the Archie comics into a Pretty Little Liars type of show? I still have to check out the pilot, so I hope I’m wrong, but that’s the vibe this story is giving.

8. Flashrow says:

Stil not over Josie, why can’t she be redhead? For me the dynamic of the Pussycats is perfect by having a readhead girl, a blondie and and afroamerican one. So if they want a black girl just use Val, not Josie. In the other hand, I find quiet funny that this series is about a murder, because in some way reminds me the Hanna-Barbera’s cartoons