Year in Review
Best Plot Twists TV

2016 in Review: OMG-est Plot Twists!

Spoiler alert! TV was wild and unpredictable this year.

From the crazy, unexpected resurrections to the many timeline shockers to those infamous four last words, TVLine has gathered the 25 OMG-est Plot Twists of 2016.

Game of Thrones, Grey’s Anatomy, NCIS and Pretty Little Lairs are just a few of the shows that made our jaws hit the floor with unforgettable “What just happened?!” moments, while the likes of The Flash, How to Get Away With Murder and Pitch caught us off-guard with dead-ly twists.

Needless to say, we’re still recovering from all the “Holy crap!” reveals over the past 12 months.

Check out the gallery to the right (or click here for direct access) to review our picks, then tell us which twists left you gasping in 2016!

Coming up soon, as TVLine’s Year in Review marches on: Best Couples, Worst Wedding, Underrated Actors, Quotes of the Year, The Stupidest Things TV Did and lots more!

1. Kriti says:

Im sorry but anyone “shocked” by Jo already being married was clearly not paying enough attention to the episodes preceding the reveal. Also the steroline proposal, while absolutely adorable, wasn’t shocking either. I mean, the whole June wedding thing has been doing the rounds for a while and I was pretty sure it was going to be addressed. even if the wedding doesnt actually happen, them getting engaged was a given.

2. Max says:

Faux Laurel… Kinda lackluster if you’re immersed in the fandom and were spoiled weeks prior to the episode by the actress herself.

3. 'A' Got a Secret says:

Any news on season 2 of Fleabag?

4. pattyg says:

Hahaha the Westworld and This is Us captions are identical, made me laugh

5. Steven says:

That Younger twist was so over the top and out of nowhere!

6. Micaela says:

The Iris death scene defo took me by surprise as well as Wes dying. I was mostly definitely left speechless by both. Obviously Wes is gone but I have all the faith that Barry will do whatever he can to save Iris.

7. Katie says:

Iris’ death was SO shocking. I didn’t see that coming. Thankfully Barry and the others will come up with a plan. But that scene was so intense! Can’t wait for The Flash to return!

8. Marco Piazzo says:

I’d add the Amy reveal in Dead Of Summer.

9. MB says:

I can think of at least three moments from The Good Place that would easily fit on this list. What is with this site and its pattern of completely ignoring one of the best comedies on TV?

10. Beatriz Gerio says:

Jo being married is not a plot twist. EVERYBODY saw it coming.

11. Alexis says:

Iris being killed by Savitar broke my heart. I hope Barry does everything in his power including screwing up the timeline to avert that future

12. Ingrid says:

That Iris & Savitar scene from the future was definitely the biggest plot twist of 2016 for me. But I have faith that Barry will save the love of his life, that scene still destroyed me emotionally though, it was beautifully shot & acted by Candice & Grant

13. That Iris & Savitar scene broke me. I couldn’t believe that happened, and I actually cried. Candice and Grant acted beautifully in that scene and made it that much heartbreaking to watch. I can’t wait to see how Barry is gonna prevent it from happening because there’s no way they’re gonna take Iris from Barry.

14. Bob says:

The izombie twist that major was the chaos killer. Well that and the fact that he froze the victims.

Person of interest twist where we found out that Root was dead and the machine chose her voice. </3

15. Paniz says:

Zack is back on bones! Its like tvline has totally forgot about bones

16. Diana says:

Cried so much during that Iris scene. Need her to be ok!

17. That Melissandre moment totally got me off guard! And Norma’s death on Bates Motel was shocking as well. And That Veep moment (lmao) still has me dying at Selina’s and gary’s face. What a wonderful show!!!!