How I Met Your Mother Spinoff

New How I Met Your Mother Spinoff In the Works From This Is Us EPs

Kids, two-and-a-half years later, I may finally get to meet your dad.

A new take on a How I Met Your Mother spinoff, told from a female point of view, is in development for next season at studio 20th Century Fox TV, our sister site Deadline reports. The news comes two-and-a-half years after CBS passed on the offshoot How I Met Your Dad, starring Greta Gerwig.

This Is Us co-executive producers/writers Isaac Aptaker and Elizabeth Berger are behind the latest stab at continuing the HIMYM franchise, which is titled How I Met Your Father. The ensemble will not feature any characters from the original series and, thus, the project may not necessarily land at CBS.

HIMYM creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas will serve as EPs on the potential comedy alongside Aptaker and Berger, but their day-to-day involvement remains TBD

Would you give How I Met Your Father a chance? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Nathan Everett says:

Here comes the bashing….

• Mitsotakis says:

It will be funny for two season, not funny for the rest and have a bad finale. Sorry if that’s “bashing” but that’s what happened with the original.

2. Data1001 says:

“And we promise this time we won’t pull the rug out from under our audience and completely negate everything we’d been solidly building towards in the final seasons, ruining the show in the memories of everyone forever. Really. Pinkie swear!”, Bays and Thomas said, fingers crossed behind their backs.

• 01Tiger says:

what are you talking about? HIMYM started with Ted and Robin and it ended with it. no one can complain you couldn’t see it coming. much better than the boring alternative ending.

• lizzie says:

I think what Data is referring to is the fact that the way he met the mother had nothing to do with many of the stories he told. For example, when he took the teaching job, he said that if he didn’t take that job, he never would have met the mother. But in the end, his meeting her had nothing to do with the teaching job. The problem was that the story was intended to run for 5 years, but the creators decided to go for the money and added 4 more seasons of filler that ruined the original intent of the story.

• Well, no… if Ted hadn’t taken the teaching job he probably would never have met/dated Cindy (Rachel Bilson’s character) who ending up letting Ted know about Tracy’s band for Robin & Barney’s wedding reception. And then Tracy wouldn’t have been anywhere near Farhampton station to meet Ted.

But there were plenty of other reasons why the finale sucked. My biggest problem with it was throwing out all of the beautiful character development which Barney had experienced over the last 7 or so seasons in the space of 40mins.

• Hank says:

what character development? Barney has always been a complete idiot and a-hole. imagine Barney of any season as a real person – would you want to have anything to do with him?

3. Steven says:

Just let it die. After how horribly the final season of HIMYM turned out I have no interest at all in this.

• Coop says:

Agreed. One of the least satisfying series finales of all-time. No interest in ever going back to it or giving future variations of the show a chance.

• Hank says:

speak for yourself, the HIMYM series finale was great. the whole last season sucked, but at the very end they came around.

• DL says:

Yeah, but this looks like it’s being written and run by the This Is Us duo, not by Bays and Thomas. I’d personally be willing to give it a shot.

4. Dannie C says:

Mmmmhhhh 🤔 Interesting. I would check it though

5. Fan says:

Dear Hollywood,

Something new PLEASE!?!

Thanks

6. Citizen of the Internet says:

If Bays and Thomas weren’t involved I’d at least give it a shot, but I don’t feel like I can trust them to plan series anymore. They’ve proven that they can’t adapt as the series evolves.

7. maregolden says:

Not interested. I am sure they have already worked out how they are going to kill off the father in the last episode.

8. davido says:

“This Is Us” is an insufferable cheese. Who’s watching this crap?!? And why are these guys taking on yet another stupid hollywood idea? SMH

• James says:

Not a lot of shows film in Hollywood though.

• Nathan Everett says:

And yet the show ratings rise about every week

• Wordsmith says:

If you’re wondering who is watching, the answer is apparently “everybody,” judging by their audience share. Apparently people like a bit of schmaltzy family drama to give them their weekly dose of the feels.

• Gern Blanston says:

I’m with you. It should be on The Hallmark Channel. This and Parenthood I tried because of how much TVLine promoted them and the poeple around here just love the absolute crap out of both shows. I just could not get into either one. I felt the schmaltz from a mile away and it turned me off immediately.

• wgsecretary says:

I LOVE This is Us! I wouldn’t call it cheesy. It definitely pulls at the heart strings, but there are some good twists and turns that keep viewers guessing. There are some little mysteries between the part of the show that’s in the past and the part that’s in the present.

I liked Parenthood when it started. But, eventually stopped watching because it got to be too much. But, This is Us hasn’t gotten there yet…for me, at least.

9. I’m not a huge How I Met Your Mother fan, but you when you watch the show in reruns you see how much worse comedy hasn’t gotten over the last few years.

This is a bad idea on a number of fronts. Firstly, it will tarnish the HIMYM legacy. It won’t create the same pop culture phenomenons the original show did.

Secondly, I don’t see how this doesn’t suck. You can already see the characters now. The whiny, shallow female friend. The gay male best friend. The black neighbor.

If they want this show to work I’d suggest taking it to Showtime and essentially making it a HIMYM/Sex in the City hybrid. You can have the feel good heart of the original show, but the edginess that pay cable allows you to do.

• Steven says:

Tarnish the HIMYM legacy? The finale already that.

• Steven says:

Tarnish the HIMYM legacy? The finale already did that.

• Yes, the finale wasn’t great, and the death bothered almost everyone, but that disappointment only lingers for so long. When you look back at the show you think of the whole body of work, not a bad season here or there.

• taran63 says:

Yes, the death bothers me. But far and away what bothers me is that the show spent an entire year on the wedding weekend (and multiple years building up to the wedding in season premiers and finales), and the very next episode after the wedding, time jump and the couple is now divorced. Years later, and I still roll my eyes when I think about it.

• Lisa G says:

The death didn’t bother me. The divorce did, the decimation of Barney’s character’s maturation in one episode did. Ending up with Robin did. I can’t watch any episode now without knowing those horrible things are at the end. I never watch it anymore and it was appointment viewing for me.

• I’m right there with you. That series finale completely ruined the show as a whole for me and I know a lot of devoted fans who felt the same way about it.

• lizzie says:

Exactly!

• John NYC says:

Yes pretty much this. With that last episode, IMHO, the rest of the episodes became pointless.

• Olivia says:

Yes, this (although the death really stinged). Years later I still can’t watch reruns, the whole show is tarnished for me. I was lucky enough to be able to sell my dvd sets pretty quickly after the finale, I thought that those would collect dust on my shelves forever but apparently someone was either oblivious or a fan of Ted & Robin.

10. Lorna says:

I’ll check it out.

11. Jonathan says:

Could be good if it goes in a different direction. I’d like it to be single-camera for a start.

12. Annie Sisk says:

No way. Fool me once, etc.

13. kmw says:

Why would this idea be better the second time around? oh it wouldn’t and just because the This is Us execs are producing doesn’t mean it will work.. Its bad enough that HIMYM ended so badly but to bring this spin off up again, no thanks

14. wgsecretary says:

No thanks! I spent years waiting to see Ted meet the mother and then she got swept away in favor of a relationship most had already let go of. Not to mention that we spent most of a season on a wedding weekend where the couple then broke up the episode (or maybe 2) after the wedding. Nope! I sill not be coming back for more crappy writing.

15. Courtney Larson says:

So not interested. I don’t care who is producing this. After the way that HIMYM ended, I don’t want anything to do with this concept. For that same reason, I can’t watch reruns of the show without thinking about how it ended and how mad I felt afterwards. So yeah, I’ll give this a pass, thanks.

16. abalunda says:

No thank you!!!!!!

17. Babybop says:

Still mad about HIMYM… just can’t trust them. No shame in my TV grudge-holding.

18. Banks says:

Im gonna say this because when you mention HIMYM people always trash talk the finale… But its the best series finale ive ever seen and any one who dislikes it doesnt get what the show was really about

• Coop says:

It’s not in my top 10,000. If you want to see a truly great finale for a comedy series, Newhart wins hands down.

• taran63 says:

I don’t get what the show was really about.

• Dannie C says:

I also loved the finale

• wgsecretary says:

I have to disagree. The show was called How I Met Your Mother. It was not called, How Your Mother Tragically Died and then I Went Back to the Woman I’d Really Been Pining for for Years. We spent years waiting to meet the mother and she was barely a footnote. No, I think we got the point. The writers just did a poor job of executing the point of their show. If they had always wanted the mother to die and have him end up back with Robin, fine. But, then whey spend almost an entire season on Robin and Barney’s wedding weekend just to have them break up and then kill off the mother in the same montage as we saw Ted and Tracey get married? They could have done that last season much better. They wasted so many episodes on one weekend when they should have let us see more of why Robin and Barney divorced and more of Ted and Tracey’s actual marriage. Perhaps something like a year or more per episode so we could have not felt like the rug was pulled out from under us. Maybe Ted and Robin would have made more sense to most viewers then. But, we waited the entire show to meet the mother and then we barely got to meet her. It was too gimicky.

• DJ Doena says:

More importantly, even their final episode didn’t make sense from what they were telling us. They told us that Robin left because she didn’t want see Barney and couldn’t see Ted happy. They told us that Robin had basically been AWOL for years. And yet the kids call her “aunt Robin” and know that Ted is secretly in love with her?
        HOW?

• wgsecretary says:

Exactly. Personally, I wasn’t annoyed just because he wound up with Robin. It was the way they did it. They ignored a lot of their own show and character development just to stay true to the original ending they wanted. They could have done it differently and fans would could have been sad the mother died but happy Ted was happy with Robin. The way they did it was poorly written.

• Gern Blanston says:

They call her Aunt Robin because by the present time when Ted is telling the story Robin had been back in their lives for a decade. And not just back in their lives a little bit but a regular, integral part of their lives. She was only gone until they were 5 or 6 and even then she was important enough to Ted that the kids knew who she was. Lay off the rage and you might notice the important details that you claim weren’t included in the story.

• Jessica Albright says:

Is it about how a lame ass named Ted can still get the cool girl in the end? It sucked.

• KatsMom says:

My favorite comment in these threads always. “I’m sophisticated and smart and get it. The rest of you unwashed masses are too thick to appreciate such a masterpiece.” So smug…and so wrong. As others have said, we understand it. But the writers were so focused on their “shocking” fairy tale ending that they threw all logic, character development and continuity out the window to get there. If the show had ended when they originally intended, back around Season 5, people probably would have loved the finale. But, after dragging this thing out nearly twice as long as they’d intended, people were tired of Ted/Robin. They’d attempted relationships so many times that, at some point, people stopped rooting for those crazy kids and started thinking, “Enough! You two just don’t work!” The point of the series is supposed to be that sometimes the timing is wrong and a relationship that doesn’t work at a particular time in your life is perfect later. The problem is that they never established that this relationship would be better now. They spent oodles of time showing that they were terrible together and that Robin and Barney worked together quite well. Then, they spent 90% of the series finale bumming everyone out by fracturing the core group, making Robin available again by having her relationship with Barney implode, and killing off Tracy, who the audience adored. They did nothing to advance the idea that Ted and Robin could actually work now because they erroneously assumed that people still cared about Ted and Robin after 9 long years. Obviously some people, like yourself, did, and, for them, the ending worked. But those of us complaining thought, “No! Not this mess again! Ugh! I wasted so much time on this show. . . “

19. Asia says:

Nope, sorry I have no interest in any project associated with Carter Bays and Craig Thomas. I still can’t watch HIMYM reruns. The series finale ruined the entire show for me.

20. parstl says:

I liked the first two seasons of How…but then it became the Barney/Neil Patrick Harris show where he, as Ted’s best friend, even dated Robin for a season plus. Just let sleeping dogs lie.

21. Pamela says:

Well I’m certain it’s known to all how badly the himym finale fared so that mistake wouldn’t be made again. the original would be cast of himyd didn’t appeal to me at all so if it’s done right this time I’ll watch the pilot and give it a go, because I did enjoy himym until the finale.

22. Sarahj says:

I have not missed this show.

23. Ram510 says:

So I guess ok the only one here that likes the finale?
    I liked how it was true to real like, not everyone has a fairytale ending, that’s just not real life

• KatsMom says:

Lol…Not a fairy tale ending? The girl the guy’s been pining over for the whole show winds up with him in the end. How is that NOT a fairy tale? Especially when the writers just sweep all the obstacles aside as an afterthought, as usually happens in fairy tales.

• Not the only one. I liked the finale as well.

• Kaliera says:

NOT a fairy tale ending? He meets the PERFECT woman who gives him the children and non career focused wife he always wanted (and his ex did not) while his ex apparently is so devastated by her mistake of not choosing him she can’t even be on the same continent. Then his Mary Poppins wife dies (of a vague disease that still keeps her beautiful right until the end) and his TEENAGED kids are so well adjusted and over the loss of their mother that when hearing the story about their parents they recognize their father continues to pine for said ex and encourage him go and get her. Yeah – that’s JUST like real life.

24. In hindsight, HIMYM was(is), a far, FAR better show than the BBT (which is painful to watch anymore).

…..And that last episode??? People, it MAKES sense. What Teenager is going to sit a listen to a parent tell a story of HIMYM??? Get OVER yourself. People need to stop crying when a series doesn’t end their way.

25. T.W.S.S. says:

Why Dad and not Father?

26. DavidSask says:

Nobody is asking for this. Do damn studio head and financiers not do focus groups and polls before proceeding in this time era where quick failures are the norm?

27. probably i am the only one on the planet that i found the finale awesome, bitter and real life situation , sorry !

28. DJ Doena says:

Bay and Thomas are on my personal blacklist. The same list Cuse and Lindelof are on.

It’s a fact of life.

29. I actually liked the last season of HIMYM and finale, so I plan to at least tune in for a couple of episodes.

30. Bark Star says:

Ahh, the tears of all the HIMYM finale haters still taste wonderfully sweet. I will check out the spinoff just out of spite for them.

31. ashleytwo says:

I think the most problematic thing with the finale is they spent 8 years building up this character who was wonderful, the ultimate soulmate, someone everyone could like and it should have been impossible to actually pull that off. And yet, by and large, they did. The Mother (and Cristin Milioti’s performance) was genuinely likeable against the huge odds they stacked against it.

Then they killed her because they decided that 9 years prior and with it they killed an achievement in its own right.

32. Cas says:

I still loved HIMYM and even enjoyed the finale. I never liked Barney and Robin and think that ended perfectly. And I liked that Ted’s wife died. Not that I like death but I liked it wasn’t all happily ever after. Sorry things like this happen all of the time. I didn’t need a fairytale ending to enjoy it.

33. Gift says:

I would really want the old actors back. Pls do not kill the father at the end.

34. Broadwayfan says:

If the final episode of this show is going to make me as mad as HIMYM did I don’t want any part of it.

35. Mark says:

I would have given it a shot if they had done it right after HIMYM (awesome ending btw), but now I’m far less interested. I doubt it will be able to live up to the original.

36. Katie says:

I might be willing to give this show a chance despite my furious hatred for the end of HIMYM. Pretty much everyone remembers the outrage following the finale so I doubt they would go that direction again. Having said that, I can’t see this new show succeeding. Regular people, the typical viewer viewer that doesn’t visit spoiler sites (not that you guys at TVLine aren’t great!), is going to see the title and immediately balk. No one is going to do research and see that these aren’t the same people who wrote HIMYM. They going to go “How I Met Your…. Nah, nope! No no no.”
    Also I just had to add that these comments of “If you didn’t like the finale, you didn’t get the show” are so arrogant I could scream. Say that’s true. As a showrunner and writer it is your responsibility to convey your story to the audience. If millions hated the show and “didn’t get it” then that is the fault of the showrunners. They did a piss pore job of getting the audience invested in Ted/Robin, and the audience outcry was the result. Live and learn.

• KatsMom says:

Completely agree with your second paragraph there! Well said. Sometimes things develop on screen differently than they do in your head/the writers’ room. Their job is to recognize that and adjust accordingly. In this case, a lot of people stopped rooting for Ted and Robin after too many failed attempts at relationships. They needed to give us a reason to care about them again, and failed to do that.

37. Gerald says:

I really enjoyed the entirety of HIMYM when it was on and thought it’s final season was unique and brilliant how they crammed one long weekend into a full season of episodes. That take good writing and skills. The finale was perfect. Of course the mom died why else would the father have to tell the story to his adult kids in the first place. And the fact that they knew it was ending with Aunt Robin when they filmed the ending in year two with the kids made it a wonderful ending. Don’t understand the hate.
    I would totally watch a spin off, especially if the This Is Us writers are involved.
    Heck cast Lyndsy Fonseca as one of the cast to tie it together.

38. BillyBobJohnson says:

Let me guess…the father dies.

39. vinny says:

Why not call it something else? Putting the HIMYM tag on it isn’t creating totally positive publicity for a show that will probably have nothing to do with the original. I – like everyone else – loved the beginning but hated how they ended it.

40. Sharon says:

I love This is Us, but let HIMYM die already. It was pretty tired at the end, much as I loved the cast.

41. Luis Roman says:

I always thought the most clever follow up to “HIMYM” would have been Ted and Tracy’s kids asking their mother for the story of how she met their father – entirely new cast, totally new stories. Alas, Tracy would have had to have lived for that to work out. I’m not saying a new series couldn’t work out, especially with several years distance from the controversy of the “HIMYM” finale, but the backlash would be a lot for them to overcome.

42. Olivia says:

Kill it. Kill it with fire.

43. Johnathan brown says:

WI’ll not be as great as HIMYM, but I’d give it a chance. As all the remakes allure not as good as the originals. EX. Full house not fuller house. Boy meets world not girl meets world. I’m hoping it will be a good show if it airs.

44. Jackie Wojtanowicz says:

How I may your mother was my favorite show. I am dad it is gone, but as long as some of the same writers, or directors, or producers are involved I would be willing to give our a try. I hate some much on tv but look forward to seeing what Thomas and Bays Gabe to offer.

45. Austin cyr says:

Make how I met your father we need to know traces side to the story and it could make a lot of money