Search Party TBS

Search Party, People of Earth Renewed for Season 2 by TBS

TBS’ original comedy slate is on a roll, with two more bits of good news coming Tuesday.

Search Party and People of Earth have both been renewed for a second season, TBS announced in a statement. Both shows will return in 2017 with ten-episode sophomore seasons. With those two pick-ups, TBS has now renewed all six of the original comedies it debuted this year, including Angie Tribeca, Full Frontal With Samantha Bee, The Detour and Wrecked.

Search Party, which stars Arrested Development‘s Alia Shawkat as a hipster girl searching for her missing college acquaintance, has gotten tons of buzz — it’s appeared on a number of year-end best-of lists, including Entertainment Weekly and Vanity Fair — and averaged more than 1.1 million viewers per episode across all platforms, per the network.

People of Earth, about a reporter (The Daily Show alum Wyatt Cenac) investigating alien abductions, ranks as one of the year’s top ten new cable comedies among adults 18-49, according to the release.

Any Search Party or People of Earth fans out there? And are you liking TBS’ new-look comedy slate? Hit the comments and share your thoughts.

1. C says:

Yay to more “Search Party”. Finished binging it over the weekend and it was really interesting, curious to see where it goes next.

2. Brian says:

Later this year? There 2 and a half weeks left.

• Patrick says:

For most people that work in and cover TV, the “year” refers to the network TV season, typically Late August through Late May of the following calendar year.
      Both my parents were teachers, so I typically referred to the “year” as the school year rather than the calendar year. Oof.

• Brian says:

Even returning before the end of the TV season in May is way earlier than I would expect as I figure these will be back fall 2017.. The article did update to say 2017 anyway.

3. Jakay says:

People of Earth is the only show I absolutely love this season. So happy to hear it’s been renewed.

4. W says:

So happy! I love people of earth! Now “don’t get weird”

• robert michael lake says:

What a great coach phrase. I have feet all around my town. Can’t help but to smile and think now don’t get weird whenever I see one.

5. Luffy says:

Are any of these shows on Hulu ?

6. robert michael lake says:

Thank you TBS. such a fun show people of earth is. I have been waiting for something like this and finally here it is.

7. Dave says:

Haven’t watched any series for over 5 years but People of Earth has me hooked… going to take a look at search party.

8. Bee says:

Love People of Earth watched each episode at least 3 times
    Terrific!
    When will it return in 2017?

9. Andrea Dudas says:

I absolutely loved Search Party!! I’m so glad there will be a season 2 although I don’t know how they are gonna keep this story line going. The acting was superb, the writing was amazing. I was intrigued by the preview/commercials for this series. Then after watching one episode I was captivated by Dory and HAD to know what was going to happen to her. All the characters were so rich. I hope that the second season keeps the same level of quality. Thanks

10. Christine says:

LOVE people of earth! So happy they were picked up for a second season!!!

11. Jamie says:

Love People of the Earth. It’s so funny. Thanks TBS for renewing another season.

12. jackie lett says:

Love People of Earth<glad to see it's coming back, my husband and I are both big fans, nice to see a show with a bit of originality and regular, if slightly quirky people.., and we love the grey alien.

13. Andrea Dudas says:

OMG, so excited for a Season 2 of Search Party. I cannot imagine how this group of young people are gonna get out of this situation. I love the writing and this ensemble cast is memorizing. This show is high quality entertainment on the small screen. Brilliant acting, brilliant writing. I’ll be watching Season 2 for sure.

14. chasinglaughter says:

we want people of earth lol