Salem Cancelled

Salem Cancelled After 3 Seasons

Salem‘s spell has been broken.

WGN America has announced that the current third season of the witch-themed drama will be its last. The series finale is slated to air in early 2017. And, yes, there will be closure.

“We knew this would be the third and final season and were able to craft an exciting climax to Mary’s transformational saga,” series creators Brannon Braga and Adam Simon told our sister site Deadline. “We are grateful to WGN America and Fox 21 for being terrific partners and giving us free reign to create a satisfying conclusion — one we believe respects our love of storytelling and the show’s passionate fans.

The pair went on to call working on the show “a magical experience,” adding, “We want to thank every producer, writer, director, actor and crew member, for all they have done to help us bring the world of Salem to life.”

Salem has been averaging between 200K-300K viewers per episode, down sharply from the record-breaking 1.5 million that tuned in for the show’s debut back in 2014.

1. Noibha says:

Nooooooo!!!!!!! Whyyyyyyyyy!?!??!?! WGN had such fun shows, Manhattan, Salem……why do they hate us???

• militantgod says:

Because the viewers hate Salem.

• Doe Nick Doe says:

It’s because WGN does not advertise anything … My only hope is that Netflix will not be so stupid and pick up on season 4 … Networks can’t expect to have 1.3 million viewers when you’re going up against shows like Walking Dead during premier months. This season was supposed to be aired way back in September. I remember looking up last year after season 3 ended and I heard talk about a January premiere, So instead of September they drop it in November as an “Oh maybe….we should drop it now” type of thing. If Between can stay on Netflix when it had worse ratings than any season of Salem then there is still hope!! We just have to stop watching WGN because instead of dropping a witch themed show in October … they dropped it near Christmas. You can’t expect a person to watch a dude swallow a rat and a speaking rotting corpse, during the Merry/Ho-Ho-Ho. It’s a matter of bad timing on WGN fault …. I’m so utterly disappointed this makes me not want to watch television shows.

2. kate says:

Well, okay. I found myself really liking this show in the first two seasons and i thought I wasn’t caring as much about this season, but then I found myself irrationally upset that Tituba had not actually turned her back on the Dark Lord and was just trying to keep Mary and John apart. But, then I was also appreciating that my first thought after that was, well, she made a mistake in sending Cotton back because once he realizes Mary isn’t joking, they will make a fairly formidable team and John can actually come back to kick some butt.

3. Nan says:

Say what? Well maybe if we didn’t have to wait so long for it to come back more people might be inclined to watch. I really like this show, however, I am glad it will get the closure it deserves.

4. Wordsmith says:

I’m okay with letting this one go, as long as the ending feels satisfying. I’ve enjoyed much of what they’ve done, but it’s time to release these cast members back into the wild…

5. Nathan Everett says:

Wtf!!!!

6. V says:

They didn’t promote this show at all this season. The only people who knew it was back on was the core audience.

7. V says:

This show wasn’t promoted at all this season. You only knew it was on if you were part of its core audience.

8. Ted says:

Hopefully this will mean we’ll see Count Vertigo again on Arrow, alive again in a post-Flashpoint world.

9. Phil says:

Thought Janet Montgomery’s “This Is Us” stint – and hair color – was a sign this was coming…
    Never watched the show, but props to their marketing dept – their posters were GORGEOUS.

10. Karen says:

Good, now maybe Shane West can be on a show that’s worth watching.

11. Joey Padron says:

Sad news but glad the show will closure with the series finale. Hope the cast will be back on TV soon in other shows, they’re all great and talented actors.

12. Nancy says:

The reason why Salem is being canceled is because it’s on a station WGN (A) in Chicago & the only to watch it at least in my city is if you have a satellite system but I don’t & you used to get Salem in the first season so I think they’d have a lot more viewers if you could watch it on a more wide spread channel like FX or SyFy!!❤

• slxtr23 says:

I do not have cable or satellite. You can watch it on the internet. That is how I watch all shows that are only on cable or satellite.

• STILLWATER says:

Yes, you’re absolutely correct about this, because I can’t afford to pay for Cable or DIRECT T.V., so I actually found out about SALEM on NETFLIX!!!
        Season 1+2 were on NETFLIX, and SALEM was so GREAT, that I PURCHASED season 3 from the Google Play Store, and I would definitely PAY TO WATCH SEASON 4 IF I COULD !!
        To me, the final show SALEM SEASON 3, wasn’t an ending, but a NEW BEGINNING.
        BEST T.V. SHOW SINCE CRIMINAL MINDS, and WGN can GO F_ _K THEMSELVES!!!

• Sam says:

I definitely agree with you, I believe if this is the end, they should have at least allowed Anne Hale to give birth, I was waiting ever since they said she was pregnant for that.

• Nancy says:

If you’re “still” looking for something good to watch I recommend quite a few shows “Supernatural ” is fantastic & entering their 13th season in the fall, 7~16~17 “The Strain” starts it’s 4th season on FX, ” American Gods” on Stars just ended it’s 1st season 👌, how about one more ,”Wynonna Earp” on SyFy, hope some of are to your taste, these are just a little sample of the great shows that are out here right now & although I will miss “Salem” & hope they put it on Netflix or something I’m not counting on it so enjoy these and have a great summer!!!😎😈💀👿🌞

13. Agent 86 says:

Will Lucy Lawless return to reprise her role as the Countess in the final episodes? I really hope so! Her most recent … “appearance” was insufficient to sate my desire to see more of the Countess and her devilish wit.

14. Jim says:

Yay, Janet Montgomery is freed!

15. Rob says:

It was time. There was not much else that can be done. I enjoyed the first 2 seasons ALOT! 2nd even improved on the first. But, I can tell it was time to move on. I am waiting to binge season 3.

16. Brian says:

This has been a fun season, an improvement over the last so this is kind of sad news but expected. WGN did exactly nothing to even promote this season and still only promote their shows that are premiering next year. Great cast top to bottom in Janet Montgomery, Shane West, Seth Gable, Ashle Madekwe and hubby Iddo Goldberg, Tamzin Merchant and Elise Elerby. (Just consider if ‘Gotham’ could have gotten Tamzin Merchant when they aged Ivy Pepper.) The TV world just got a lot of talented and versatile actors freed with this cancellation. WGN wanted an excuse to cancel it and gave themselves one by failure to promote it or advertise it leading to its abysmal ratings. The only reason I knew it was coming back was by searching on the internet for information. ‘Cotton Mather’ was Seth Gable’s best role and he should be on a lot of shows ‘want to get’ lists. Janet Montgomery should also be on everyone’s list despite her boring but more watched role on ‘This is Us’ because she showed as ‘Mary Sibley’ that she is more than capable of handling the lead on any show. Good luck to everyone involved. Hopefully it goes out well and has an excellent finale. I’ll miss this cast the most.

17. Keyo Ann Goodwin says:

Why???? This show is awesome. I dont even get wgn but purchase the series pass too see it. Why would you cancel this show??? There was no promo for season 3. Please do not cancel it. To much left undone

18. Ashley says:

Omg! Please don’t cancel the show 😢

19. Kiwi3 says:

Boooo!!!!!!!!! Well, at least they knew in advance so they could write a good finale. I hope it isn’t as rushed and as compressed as Penny Dreadful’s ending.

20. Anthony says:

This show is amazing!!! I wish Syfy would pick it up! We waited so long for this season , just to hear it is cancelled! That sucks! It’s right now the only show I watch on WGN.

21. Rita says:

Im really angry that it was canceled! There aren’t too many shows that I liked and this was one of those shows. They finally give us something good and now they take it away! I don’t get it.

22. Season 1 was not good, Season 2 was ok, but season 3 is GREAT! Why cancel…? This show really captures the essence of being a witch. In other shows, witches just wave their hand or chant something. In Salem, they have to force feed a TOAD!, french kiss a corpse, and some genuine witchy stuff..

23. Crystal zody says:

I am sad to see salem be gone. It was my one hour a week of quiet private time from my two young boys who I love dearly. It was a very well written planned out show that deserves more. Thank you.

24. Joyce says:

I really hate that the show is going off air really love it wish they could come up with more storylines for it Salem is the best show on WGN America just don’t see it as much so I guess I can remove WGN America from my channel lineup

25. Kevin says:

I don’t know if you noticed but Salem is the only good show you have on your station, most of your programs are garbage….
    I’m done with WGN America

26. Bertha Davis says:

I really like Salem sorry to see it Cancelled

27. Temeca says:

BoOoOoOoOoOo……I love Salem, why do a lot of the good shows get cancelled.

28. Debra says:

WGN waited far too long between season 2 and 3 and did nothing to promote the show. As someone who hasn’t missed an episode, it was a chore continually searching online to see when this season would debut. Total abandonment of a great show with a fantastic cast.

29. Roy Loth says:

Happens everytime.You bring a quality show to T.V. and cancel,leaveing the crap reality shows. Beleive it or not ,some people enjoy watching a well scripted series all about the money.

30. Hila says:

I feel like someone punched me in the gut

31. Megan says:

I finally found a show that I absolutely ADORE and it’s being cancelled, this seriously blows. Why can’t a good show like this stay on air like other shows have for years aka friends, Big Bang, ER, etc. there isn’t ever a show like this that stays on for at least 5 plus seasons, they always seem to be cancelled. Americans have no taste in good science fiction drauma series 😭☹️

• John Cancel says:

It was cancelled in part because of all the Bible Thumping Idiots that hold all the Nielsen Boxes. Anything deemed “off color” gets booted! These are some of the same people who got Trump elected!!!! Why can’t low ratings get rid of his butt! Ughhh …. So disgusted!!!!!!

32. soheil says:

salam….besttttttt series…….no cancelled no….. whyyyyyyyyyy?????!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

33. Patricia says:

No!!! I cannot understand why stupid reality shows get renewed for multiple seasons and yet, a great show with a real story line and talented “real” actors cannot survive past season 3. I hope Salem will go on – perhaps on another network

34. Angelf427 says:

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeee Don’t Canceled …
    If this show will air on FX or AMC it would have Millions of Viewers…

35. Shell says:

Love Salem truly disappointed that u watch and r involved in a great show to have it just end, not cool or respectful

36. Redflame says:

The death bell tolled as soon as they made that stupid and annoying kid such a central character. If they’d have regenerated him into an older actor after a couple of episodes it may have been interesting – but it became impossible to watch with him sneering so hammily in virtually every scene. I’m sure he has a bright future ahead – but not in such an important role in a series like this.

37. steve says:

Very upset that Salem is coming to an end would love to see another season… I wonder if anybody would ever make a movie or TV show about Aleister Crowley’s life (The wickedest man in the world)

38. Jimmy says:

This not fair, I never miss an episode, try to bring it back

39. Richard says:

Really great show please reconsidet

40. Richard says:

U need to reconsider one of the best shows on tv.

41. Pat LaFrance says:

Salem season 4!!!! Filmed in Salem!

42. I am sooooooo upset !!!! I thought every episode was better than the last !!! Im hoping another network will pick it up!!!!!!! :(

43. cheryl Smith says:

I wish u were going ahead on a season 5 of salem . I watched it from the beginning and never missed an episode. There’s more u can do on this show . I can’t belive u left it this way

44. Jean Yentsch says:

So sad the Series has ended, I truly enjoyed watching it, BUMMED OUT!!!!

45. MUHANNAD says:

NOOOO. WHY ? I LOVED THIS SHOW NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

46. Mark says:

Me and my partner loved Salem but were horrified by such an outcome and what a waste of time waiting to the end to see how much of a poor ending it had. Such a bad climax to a good production

47. Michele says:

My husband and I absolutely are addicted to this show.. We watched Season 1 and 2 on Netflix and are currently waiting for Season 3 to come on. I hope Netflix, AMC or Syfy picks up this amazing show !! I love the story line, the shock factor, and the talented actors. The dresses are just mesmorizing. PLEASE continue SALEM !!!

48. The show SALEM was so GREAT, that I PURCHASED season 3 from the Google Play Store, and I WOULD PURCHASE SEASON 4 IF I COULD !!!!!
    Best T.V. Show since Criminal Minds!!!

49. SALEM was the best thing since Criminal Minds came out. SALEM IS ABSOLUTELY ADDICTING TO WATCH, that I PURCHASED season 3 from the Google Play Store, and I would definitely PAY TO WATCH SEASON 4 IF I COULD !!
    I’ll never watch the WGN NETWORK ANYMORE. Whoever is in charge of WGN NETWORK is an IDIOT!!!

50. Bruce Kelly says:

The best serie WGN ever made is canceled how dumb is that, no one cared about WGN till Salem and when Salem got to going everyone wants that channel but since a dumb ass cancel the show dish watchers don’t care if they get the channel back. Nice going WGN