Obama on Daily Show: If Trump Sets Up Muslim Registry, I Will 'Say Something'

President Barack Obama doesn’t expect he’ll “suddenly just vanish” once Donald Trump takes office on Jan. 20. He also doesn’t expect to keep quiet if his successor’s administration impedes on the “core values” of the United States.

Remarking on Trump’s proposed ban on Muslims, Obama on Monday’s The Daily Show told Trevor Noah that he will “have to say something” if Trump follows through on his campaign promise, or insists on a registry of all Muslims currently living the United States.

“If I thought a Muslim registry was being set up that violates the Constitution, violates who we are, and would make us less safe because it would make it easier for groups like [ISIS] to recruit and radicalize homegrown terrorists, I might have to say something about that,” he said.

Obama’s first Daily Show interview since Jon Stewart’s departure also touched on Russia’s alleged election tampering, the future of the Affordable Care Act and attempting to navigate the nation’s racial divide. An extended cut, clocking in at 22 minutes, can be seen its entirety here.

Watch Obama discuss Trump’s potential Muslim registry below (beginning at the 5:28 mark), then drop a comment with your thoughts.

1. peterwdawson says:

Not a shock. I mean when Bush was done he didn’t say much but plenty of his old administration crew did, and in this case Obama and Biden most likely will be the least silent of the departed crew. Then again VPs seem to rarely be silent after leaving.

2. TDXI says:

The point is will he (Osama) register?

3. MMD says:

I’m going to miss the Obamas. I think he did the best he could with a congress determined not to let him pass anything or tried to make his a one term president. He represented your country well around the world.

4. Collette says:

Can’t wait until BHO fades into obscurity. Until his presidency I didn’t realize one could be both weak and insidious.

• Joey says:

Really? You’d never studied the terms of James Buchanan or Herbert Hoover or lived through either Bush’s presidential terms?

5. Helen says:

Hmmm, the “core values” according to Obama? I’m pretty sure the people just let him know what they think of his “core values”. Cue all the people screaming for free speech and equality to now tell me what a disgusting racist I am because they don’t agree with me.

• Mary says:

I think people did just let him know because the truth is 2.8 million people voted for the democrat over the Republic. One winning a race due to how our system is set up does not represent the people so I wouldn’t try to be so high and mighty because it makes your look foolish. Only you can truly answer the question if you are a racist and that would entail doing some sole searching which many are afraid to do.

• Susannah says:

Helen, I wish people like you understood what free speech means. You’re perfectly within your right to say what you want and everyone else is perfectly within their right to call you a racist if they choose, free thought and expression is a two way street. Fortunately, free speech also means, none of us can be is prosecuted for expressing those thoughts.

• Helen says:

I’m well aware of what free speech is. It just amazes me that any time someone speaks against Obama they are automatically racist. I understand we all have the right to our opinions and speech. It is just when I exercise my right I am a racist. Calling me a ricist because I don’t agree with the political actions of my president does not actually make me racist no matter what you might call me. Should I start exercising my free speech by calling you, or anyone who doesn’t agree with me, a racist? I have always just thought it was American. I guess I’m just uneducated.

• Joey says:

While I can’t say whether or not you’re a racist based on your comments here, I can say that a large chunk of Obama’s detractor’s either come out and say or imply that they either disagree with his policies or he’s weak and whatnot because of his race. Simply saying “I disagree with Obama” doesn’t make a person a racist. “I disagree with Obama because he’s black” is racist.

• Lou says:

Literally no-one called you a racist. You may have a valid point, but saying ‘I’m not a racist, you guys are all mean for calling me a racist’ is neither substantiating your view nor creating a dialogue; it’s confronting strangers for something they did not do or imply which is unfair.

6. Bella says:

He’ll “say something”? What a shock. He’s never shut up. This election was as much a repudiation of him and his policies as it was of Clinton.

• Angela says:

Not really. Trump’s win is solely due to voters’ blatant ignorance of the facts, fake news, and apparently, Russian influence as well.

• Tom says:

Another ignorant liberal too stuck in your bubble to see beyond it. Keep believing media garbage, it led you to lose the House, the Senate, and now the Presidency. So please buy into this fake news, Russian interference garbage, keep burying your head to the trurh. For I look forward to 2018 and seeing Republicans hit a fillabuster proof majority.

• Angela says:

If you say so.
          (It’s cute how people think being called a liberal is an insult, by the way.)

• meleliot says:

Well said Tom. Here’s hoping Trump does so much good for our country the haters will finally be silent. And if we (repubs) were bamboozled by “fake” news (which is rich) you can vote him out in 4 years. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸 And Merry Christmas to ALL! 🎄

• Angela says:

You were taken in by fake news. That is a fact. There’s plenty of evidence proving how much of a role fake news played in rallying Trump supporters throughout this election. And now Russia looks to have been in on the act, too, because of Trump’s relationship with Putin. But please, do go on and explain how all of this is totally okay and legal.
            Considering Trump’s ignoring intelligence briefings, and hiring people who do nothing but stir BS online or who show total ignorance towards the departments they’re running (Rick Perry is going to run the very department he couldn’t name in his “There are three departments I’d get rid of” speech from the primaries, but hey, why worry about that, right?), and picking fights on Twitter because people are making fun of him (how exactly is he going to handle criticism or disagreement with world leaders if he’s that thin-skinned?), and his cabinet is filled with people who want to set back rights for many different groups of people (remember, Mike Pence supports conversion therapy for gay people!), AND considering he’s got actual support from the KKK, of all groups, I somehow highly doubt your version of the future will become a thing.
            We are not being “haters” for our stance on Donald Trump. There is no justifiable reason he should’ve become president. His campaign should’ve been seen for the joke it was way back when this election started, and he should not have gotten this far. I’m not a Republican, but I could handle having a Republican in office who actually knew what they were doing, and who had actual political experience of some kind. Trump is not that person. And all of you who voted for him are going to be just as negatively impacted by his presidency as those of us who don’t support him. Trust me on this.
            Also? Considering there were stories leading up to Election Day where militia members were talking about holding armed protests in D.C. if Clinton had won, the right really has no room to be talking about how people need to “get over it” and “quit whining”. If the situation were reversed, many of you on the right wouldn’t shut up, either. We have every right to protest and be upset about this, because there are TONS of valid reasons to be upset and worried about a Trump presidency.

7. Susannah says:

Good, if Trump tries to set up a registry for Muslims, we ALL need to say something about how outrageous and unconstitutional that would be.

8. Jj says:

From a national security standpoint I’m more interested in a list of people who voted for Trump since those people have actually
    committed acts of treason against the United States.

9. sunshine says:

It’s time Obama recognized that he and his party were repudiated and it’s time for him to go into private life quietly since he no longer represents any type of majority:
    There are 3,141 counties in the United States.
    Trump won 3,084 of them.
    Clinton won 57.
    There are 62 counties in New York State.
    Trump won 46 of them.
    Clinton won 16.
    Clinton won the popular vote by approx. 2+ million votes.
    In the 5 counties that encompass NYC, Clinton received well over 2 million more votes than Trump.
    Therefore these 5 counties alone, more than accounted for Clinton winning the popular vote of the entire country.
    These 5 counties comprise 319 square miles.
    The United States is comprised of 3, 797,000 square miles.
    When you have a country that encompasses almost 4 million square miles of territory, it would be ludicrous to even suggest that the vote of those who inhabit a mere 319 square miles should dictate the outcome of a national election.

• Derek says:

Good thing people vote and not land mass then. You clearly spent a lot of time finding numbers to backup your ridiculous argument. According to you Alaska should have approximately 4 times as much voting power than California considering their physical sizes. Alaska has approx 737 thousand people living it. California has approx 38.8 Million.

Many of the counties you mention that Trump won have total populations that are less than the population of a single neighborhood in NYC.

The only ludicrous thing that I see is the complete lack of logic to your argument. There is a strong anti-intellectual movement in this country. Why is that? If you keep the populace ignorant and poorly educated then when someone produces a ridiculous argument (like yours) nobody will realize that they are being completely manipulated.

This election was not a repudiation of Obama and the Democratic party. This election is what happens when a tremendous group of decent, hardworking Americans are manipulated by a snake-oil salesman into voting against their own self-interests.

• Crys says:

Thank you! I laughed because he so specifically did NOT want to note that Trump’s opposition won by 2 million plus Individual votes. But u said it better.

• Tom says:

Their own self interest, bah! Obama has done nothing for them, and Hillary only offered to not call them racist and sexist!

• Mary says:

Well I disagree with you in regards to going to private life quietly. He may not be President after January but he is still a citizen of the US. EVERYONE, ex Presidents included should speak up when injustices are being done. If we were a true democracy, which we aren’t, it would be one voice, one vote.

10. ew says:

No one will care and he can’t do anything, so pound your fist as much as you want Obama.

11. Tom says:

Obama never carries through on his threats though, just ask Assad.

12. Patrick Day says:

Obama is full of crap. Let’s make up more fun facts!

13. Doug in Jax says:

This unaccomplished narcissist isn’t going to shut up for 5 minutes during the next 20 years.

14. Andrew Reibson says:

“Say something”?

Hans Blix: I’m sorry, but the UN must be firm with you. Let me see your whole palace, or else…

Kim Jong-il: Or else what?

Hans Blix: Or else we will be very, very angry with you. And we will write you a letter, telling you how angry we are.

15. geegee says:

Oh core American values such as keeping people imprisoned without respect of due rights – oh, wait, its on foreign soil, so it must be ok,

Or killing people with drones, without a court imposed death sentence, oh wait, they’re all foreign scum, and presumed terrorist scum, so that must be ok as well,

Or performing surveillance of such magnitude that is incomparable to any data set in history, but yeah, thats also the foreign scum – or, oh wait.

16. Hey There. I discovered your blog using msn. That is a very smartly written article.
    I will be sure to bookmark it and return to learn extra
    of your useful info. Thanks for the post. I will certainly
    comeback.

17. Steve Davis says:

OOOOOOO watch out Mr. President Elect Trump. Obama is going to say something. Maybe he will draw a red line in the sand or possibly bow to a few terrorists if they enter the country. Once this POS is out of the White House he will be irrelevant. Move on Obama you wasted 8 years in the White House and have embarrassed America. We are done with you…