GILMORE GIRLS

Golden Globe Nominations 2017: My Snappy Judgments

The 2017 Golden Globe nominations were, as per usual, a mixed bag. For every inspired nod (congrats, Chrissy Metz!) there was one that had me scratching the skin off my scalp (nothing for Lauren Graham?!). So without further adieu, I give you the good, the bad and the downright ugly from this year’s list.

I’m Super-Ecstatic About:
* FX’s Atlanta sneaking into the best comedy race. Ditto its star Donald Glover.
* This Is Us getting a best drama nod, and actresses Mandy Moore and Chrissy Metz making the supporting-actress cut.
* Crazy Ex-Girlfriend‘s Rachel Bloom and Jane the Virgin‘s Gina Rodriguez in the running once again.
* All the love for ABC’s two best series, black-ish and American Crime.
* Winona Ryder for Stranger Things sneaking in. Also: The series itself getting a drama nod.
* Keri Russell! Matthew Rhys!
* HBO’s The Night Of getting a limited-series nod.
* Westworld‘s Evan Rachel Wood and Thandie Newton getting recognized for their standout Season 1 work.

I’m Rolling My Eyes About:
* The Globes’ infuriating tradition of lumping every single genre in the supporting acting races. Enough. (Yes, I copied and pasted this directly from last year’s Snappy Js. And I will continue to do so until something changes.)
* Nick Nolte for Graves?!

I’m Super-Pissed About:
* Nada for Broad City. Ditto Difficult People. And Casual.
* Zilch for Sam Heughan?
* Because it bears repeating, the lack of love for Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life, especially Lauren Graham.
* The omission of Bates Motel‘s Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore.
* The men of This Is Us getting completely and inexplicably shut out. (At least Sterling K. Brown was recognized for The People v. O.J.)
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt getting bupkis.
* Nada for Fox’s underrated Last Man on Earth and star Will Forte.

Okay, that’s my two cents’ worth. Now it’s your turn. Post your own snappy judgments below. And click here to view a list of all the major nominees.

1. Kevin Kelly says:

No Tatiana Maslany? Did they even WATCH Orphan Black this season?

2. I’m happy Sterling got nominated for People vs. OJ Simpson but he also deserved it for This Is Us (Justin and Milo too). I’m so confused right now. And Lauren Graham and Kelly Bishop definitely deserved to be nominated as well.

• Emily D Yunker says:

I’m really wondering if Sterling was left off for This is Us so he didn’t split his own vote. He’s more likely to get the win if he only has one entry. They do this kind of finagling for the Golden Globes.

• Kenbud says:

I thought the same thing! He TOTALLY deserves both nominations … not at the expense of losing though. (cuz honestly he should win with either nomination)

3. Susannah says:

I’m disappointed in The Americans not getting a drama series nod as this season was fantastic but Matthew and Keri getting nominated was wonderful and deserved.

4. Bridget says:

No Drama nod for Outlander or Sam Heughan 😢
    But congrats to Caitriona

• Gemma says:

I agree. Also Tobias Menzies should have been nominated. Both him and Sam have been robbed two years in a row.

• Vanessa says:

I totally agree, it’s very dissapointing that such amazing performances are not awarded and recognized. They completelly deserve it!!!!

• Liz says:

I know! It’s crazy, Sam is snubbed again this year!

• Natalia says:

And Sam Heughan, and Outlander, and Lauren Graham, and Gilmore Girls??????. But I agree, where are the nominations of Last Man on Earth and Will Forte, this show is very very funny and Will Forte is superb.

5. Ann says:

* The omission of Bates Motel‘s Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore. THIS PISSES ME OFF EVERY TIME!!!
    * The men of This Is Us getting completely and inexplicably shut out. AMEN

6. Shaw says:

Yayyy for The Night Of!

7. Guest says:

I can’t believe John Turturro from the Night Of wasn’t nominated…he was brilliant!

8. Very surprised Milo and Sterling didn’t get in (though I think he would have if not for OJ). And Lauren Graham and Kelly Bishop, noooo. So sad about those. And

And what the hell is Graves! I watch a lot and TV and have no idea what that is.

But so happy for Caitriona Balfe, Keri Russell, and Matthew Rhy. Awesome for This Is Us and Stranger Things too.

9. Gemma says:

I’m not happy that Sam Heughan and Tobias Menzies being snubbed… again for Outlander. Great to see Catriona getting Nominated though.

10. Patricia Pereira says:

is gilmore girls eligible for this golden globe? I think I read somewhere that the deadline was october 31st… not sure

11. Lauren says:

So many talented supporting actors get a raw deal in this format. It’s really disappointing. When you consider the vast difference in performing in a comedy, drama or miniseries, I don’t know how you’re supposed to compare them side by side.

• Lauren says:

And looking at the list again, there are no comedic performances nominated in the supporting categories. Ridiculous. If you can’t make room for Titus Burgess or really, any of the supporting actors on Brooklyn 99, you’re doing something wrong.

12. Shaina Ruth says:

WHY DOES HOLLYWOOD HATE LAUREN GRAHAM?!?!?! #Smad

13. Lois says:

I’m really disappointed about Milo getting snubbed to be honest.

14. Liz says:

– NO SAM HEUGHAN ??!! AGAIN ??? And no Outlander ?
    – No Milo Ventimiglia either… :(
    – No Emilia Clarke! She was amazing this season!
    – And where is Lauren Graham as Lorelai ??

At least we have Caitriona Balfe for Outlander, Claire Foy for The Crown and Evan Rachel Wood for Westworld.

15. Judy Snell says:

Obviously NO LOVE whatsoever for The Walking Dead or the cast.

16. Matt says:

Gilmore Girls just wasn’t that good…You’re letting your love blind you.

17. z says:

literraly just finished watching GG 5 minutes ago. I thought they had it in the bag.

18. Caren says:

Congratulations to Caitriona Balfe, our Claire!
    No Sam Heughan, Tobias Menzies, or Outlander?
    What is the gender makeup of the foreign press voters? How is the King of Men not nominated?

19. Linda Horn says:

Lauren Graham deserves an award!!!!! When is she going to be recognized????

20. JenE says:

Sam Heughan got snubbed again. Sadly not surprised since he is on a show that consistently undermines him and his character and refuses to use him to his full ability or puts his stuff on the cutting room floor. His costar, Catriona Balfe, who is consistently nominated, baffles me since she cannot act her way out of a paper bag and is the most overrated person on TV. At least the show was not nominated since season 2 was just plain awful.

• Liz says:

Wow, tell us how you really feel!

• Bennington says:

Really! Wow don’t let your hots for Sam cloud your judgment much. They are both stellar in Outlander but I believe her staggering performance in the episode about losing her baby is attracting all the nominations. The huge problem with the globes is that the categories are not diverse enough like critics choice awards. They even separate movies and actors by sub categories and genres.

21. webly3 says:

No OITNB for their amazing 4th season. No GG noms for Lauren and Kelly, and too many new shows crowding drama series. Those are my biggest complaints.

• Pam says:

So glad someone else noticed OITNB was missing from everything! I recently binge-watched the series and I can’t believe that season 4 wasn’t included. So many excellent performances! And I’m pretty certain that Andre Bauer’s name was mysteriously absent from the nominees. If I’m right about that, that was certainly a big mistake…

22. Lysh says:

Meh, the Globes are kind of an Oscars appetizer to me and though I enjoy tv more, I’m not too mad about anything. I do hope Lauren Graham gets an Emmy nom though. And it’s nice to see network television still getting some.

23. Jule says:

I wish everyone would STOP over-glorifying Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life. Lauren is amazing, but talking fast, having wonderful delivery, and being incomparably charming only goes so far. Likewise one AMAZING 6 minute monologue in an otherwise un-spectacular 4-ep revival doesn’t get you a nomination, more or less a win. I love this show. I love these ladies, but their best shot at awards was during the original run. To pretend this revival wasn’t a mess compared to the original series is just your rose-colored glasses talking. I get it. Really. I wanted it to be what Michael talked it up to be, but it just wasn’t. Time to move on and let it go until AS-P wants to ruin it even further for us in another 10 years.

In other news, way to go Westworld and The Night Of and booo to no This Is Us men! But given how steep the competition is for supporting talent, I get it. Also, it’s just the Globes… Wait for Emmy noms. That’s the one that matters anyway.

24. Ra's al Ghul says:

Who would you remove from nominations to add your choices? I surely wouldn’t touch Clair Foy or John Lithgow or even The Crown itself from their categories.

25. cuius says:

Thought Tom Hollander was better than Hugh Laurie in The Night Manager

26. kmw says:

I am sorry that your Gilmore Girls didn’t get any love but really, the actresses who were nominated had much stronger materiel to work with. I am surprised the men of This is Us didn’t get anything but at least they got nominated elsewhere. Network shows don’t get much love from any awards shows these days so we are lucky This is Us got anything at all. To me really nothing shocking with these nominations

27. S says:

If Mandy Moore and Chrissy Metz are supporting actresses, who, pray tell, is the show’s lead actress?

• Lauren says:

It’s common for ensemble casts to not present a lead actor. Essentially they are all leads which means no *one* actor is the lead.

28. Tom says:

I’m really surprised Anthony Hopkins isn’t getting any recognition for Westworld

29. TvLover says:

I don’t watch it but I am still shocked that Vera Farmiga and Freddy Highmore were snubbed for Bates Motel.
    Same goes for the men from This is Us especially Gerald McRaney, as guest actor, hopefully he can get an Emmy nom next year.
    Glad the leads of The Americans got nominated.
    Not surprised that Caitriona Balfe was nominated but I felt Sam Heughan should have been nominated and sadly is continually overlooked which is a shame.
    Happily surprised Stranger Things, and Winona Ryder got nominated, would have been great if Millie Bobby Brown got a nom too, but again, I’m sure there’s plenty of opportunities for her in the future.
    And though I am happy Evan Rachel Wood snagged one for Westworld I felt that they left off Jeffery Wright and Thandie Newton, big mistakes, those two consistently nailed their roles!
    Not too mad about Tatiana not getting a nom, she did just win an Emmy after all.

30. Ana says:

Was Gilmore girls eligible? As it premiered only 2 weeks ago…

31. taylorgeary says:

Uh, if you gonna post SNUBS, you gotta post WHO YOU THINK DOESNT DESERVE A NOMINATION WHO GOT ONE!!! Awards shows are already boring as is, I can’t imagine how boring they’d be if all the SNUBS got nominated. The list would go on forever. The categories have a limited number of slots, so tell me WHO YOU WANNA AX!

• ekolint48 says:

Right. Like I feel there are a few other dramas that deserve recognition for being best, but conversely I don’t think the ones nominated here I incorrect. Some other categories, that’s another story…..

32. TvLover says:

I didn’t feel Lena Heady really deserved a nomination.
    I’d rather leave out John Travolta, and yes, JLD is great in Veep there’s no denying it but come on, she’s won a ton of awards already. Time to move on, give somebody else a chance. And that goes for any future award show with Transparent, Modern Family, Homeland, and The Big Bang Theory.

33. bos4ny3 says:

“Because it bears repeating, the lack of love for Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life, especially Lauren Graham.” No worries, Michael. This site – and you – will always be here for the shippers to pour out their hearts over this niche show.

34. I’m super bummed about Lauren Graham. I feel she’s always underrated and it’s not right. She’s a brilliant actress who deserves recognition. I was holding onto the hope that Gilmore Girls AYITL was not submitted for the Golden Globes. I have faith that all of the fan based award shows will give Lauren the recognition she deserves. The end!

35. Sue Henken says:

No Orange is the New Black?? That was an amazing season.

36. Tony Abard says:

How come every time somebody mentions a snub they never mention who they would remove in their place? If it were up to these writers or the dolts commenting there would be 50 people nominated in every category. If you want somebody else in let us know who you are taking out.

37. Chris says:

“Better Things” and Pamela Adlon both got snubbed! UGH!!!!!!

38. queensgirl says:

I hate to do this, but “judgments” is misspelled in the title of the article.

39. J. Hyacinth says:

No. Gilmore. Girls. AGAIN?!?!? Did they learn NOTHING from the last run? Kelly Bishop, at the very least, deserved a nod for her tremendous work as a widow going through the grieving process. Every nuance was perfect. Every flick of her eye made it believable. I FELT Emily go from each grieving step. And. Nothing. AGAIN. BLAH.

40. Katie says:

At this point you just have to wonder who in the hell Lauren Graham pissed off to get passed over AGAIN?

41. tvfan says:

Michael you missed a nod for Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt –
    BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES
    Jane Krakowski – Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt – Netflix

42. Anna Bolic says:

Agree with you SO MUCH about Sam Heughan!

And what about Tatiana Maslany???

43. Turtle says:

So much noise is made about X being snubbed. But rarely does any columnist ever stick their neck out to say who shouldn’t have been nominated in their place. There are only so many places. You can’t agree with the 5 nominees and then say you are upset about another 3 not getting nominated. Michael has only rolled his eyes about Nick Nolte getting nominated. No one else. So who should make room for Michael’s gripes

Broad City – I love this show and it is very funny. But I don’t think in terms of acting they really deserve to take anyone else’s place. They deserve it in the writing (do the Golden Globes have categories for TV writing?) and maybe best comedy show category. But who would you kick out? I haven’t watched Mozart in the Jungle so I’m happy to kick it out and Transparent (a show I really like, but just have a hard time nominating it in Comedy just because it is not an hour long). Just because it is being categorized there doesn’t make it a comedy so I think something else deserves to take its place. Those two spots should go to Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and Broad City. That automatically means there’s no room for his next 2 gripes

Difficult People and Casual – Again I don’t think Difficult people really deserves any acting nominations as the 2 leads are just funny people saying funny lines. Again maybe a writing nomination. I’m not a regular watcher of Casual, but again maybe there are acting nominations there, not sure about a Best comedy show nomination there.

Sam Heughan – I don’t think he deserves the place of Rami, Bob or Matthew. I haven’t watched Goliath and I don’t really like Ray donovan. But no one really seems upset about Liev’s repeated nominations, so I can only assume it is deserving. But I can think of other Drama actors that could be more deserving. Justin Theroux in Leftovers alone deserves to win (ok a tie with Matthew) but he hasn’t been nominated either.

Gilmore Girls – I can’t think of anyone who deserves to be taken out of the Lead Actress Drama category. If any one deserves to be there it’s Tatiana Maslany over Caitriona if I had to choose one person. Drama series – again I can’t see which one it would replace. There was a lot of nostalgia value that came into play for Gilmore Girls, but when you compare it with the nominated shows on a standalone, I can’t see it taking the place of anything.

Bates Motel – I just wrote about the crowded drama actress and actor category above. Who’s gonna make room for Vera and Freddie?

The men of This is Us – John Travolta probably doesn’t deserve the nomination. But again the main gripe about this category being unable to accomodate so many nominations holds true

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt – Yup, this has room in the comedy series and actress category (Sarah Jessica Parker is nominated only based on goodwill). Unfortunately comedy actors rarely stand a chance in the overcrowded supporting actor category. Both Jane and Titus deserve to be there.

Last man on earth – Will forte does deserve to take Nick Nolte’s place. That was just the AFPA looking at a familiar name and checking a box.

Other spots that are up for grabs for the snubbed –

Gael Garcia Bernal in Lead Actor comedy (only cause I haven’t watched the show). I would say that spot could have gone to Ted Danson for The Good Place (he qualifies as Lead and not Supporting, right?)

As for the other snubs in the gallery

Kelly Bishop – no room for her in that overcrowded category and there are plenty others in line before her

House of Cards – I don’t think it deserves a place over the other nominees in the Drama category

The Americans – it can definitely take the place of This is Us.

Taraji P Henson – too crowded a category and the show just hasn’t been able to match up to the Season 1 hype

Silicon Valley – probably equally deserving as Broad City to take one of those spots in Best Comedy

Viola Davis – she’s good, but her character has been doing the same stuff over the 3 seasons and I think that’s probably what’s worked against her. (Do real people change over the course of 3 years? Why do we want character growth for our TV show leads alone?)

Orange is the new black – again who would it replace in the Best Drama category?

Jeffrey Wright – supporting actor is basically a graveyard of snubbed actors

Kate Mckinnon – In my view she deserves the place of Gina Rodriguez

Benedict Cumberbatch – I haven’t watched All the way, but can’t imagine a world where he is a better actor than Bryan Cranston. I enjoy Sherlock a lot, but Benedict Cumberbatch is pretty one note in that show.

Kit Harington – are you kidding? I love Game of Thrones, and Kit makes a great Jon because he has a limited range of emotions which is very suited for his character. But give an award to the casting director, not for his acting. I’m sure there are 5 more deserving actors in Game of Thrones alone.

44. mary says:

While there is more than enough crap tv out there, there is a lot of great tv also. And men are leading the pack, thus it being a hard to get nom for them. Gilmore Girls? sorry not nearly as good as several shows who were snubbed. Don’t get me wrong I loved it when it was on, but it just doesn’t beat out other tv series.

45. While I’m very happy for Caitriona Balfe to receive a nomination (she more than deserves it, and she deserves to win), I’m majorly pissed that both Sam Heughan and Outlander were snubbed. If one person deserves a nomination, it’s Sam. I hope he accompanies his “wifey” to the awards show and blows everyone away with his gentlemanly behaviour. ♥

46. Cindy says:

Gilmore Girls snubbed???? You have got to be kidding me!