50 Cent Quits Power

50 Cent Vows to Quit Power Over Golden Globe Snub: 'Kanan Must Die'

Note to the producers of next month’s Golden Globe Awards: Book 50 Cent as a presenter now.

The star and exec producer of Starz’ Power took to social media on Monday following the announcement of the 2017 Golden Globe nominations and expressed fury over the series’ poor showing.

“I’m on the move again,” he wrote. “Golden Globe’s can s–k a d–k. I accept my series Power was not intended to be a signature show for the network, but it is the highest-rated show.”

The actor-rapper — aka Curtis Jackson — went on to say he’s “done promoting this out side of contractual obligations,” before adding that in the drama’s upcoming fourth season his drug-lord character Kanan “must die.” He then concluded: “I got other s–t to do.”

In a statement to TVLine, a rep for Starz said, “We are grateful for the excellent work being done on Power by the producers, cast and crew. We certainly think this exceptional show has been overlooked by various awards committees, but the fans have made it the second-most watched show on premium cable in 2016… and those are accolades that mean just as much, if not more.”

1. Ray says:

Good to see his ego is in check.

2. Uh, that seems like a massive overreaction.

3. Dave says:

LOL. Putz.

4. webly3 says:

I don’t think he understands that the Hollywood FOREIGN Press is behind the nominations…

5. JlZ says:

No one cares that you were not nominated! Good actor’s lives matter.

6. auntiemm says:

Anyone got a leftover participation trophy?

7. Alec says:

The show is terrible. Empire is a lot better. Get over it, whiny whiny.

8. Jimmy says:

Ha. He is a no talent joke. He is now crying bc he didn’t get nominated. He didn’t deserve a nomination.

• Cornell Crooks says:

Empire is corny ! I watched every season , then came this present season episode one saw the direction it was going with the baby drama and haven’t watched it since. Empire is garbage. You need Power to make an Empire!

9. 90sbaby says:

Sorry,nothing of his screams golden globe nomination. He’s one of the worst actors ever. On the hand: Power is one damn awesome show.

10. flowerduh@gmail.com says:

(Forgive me for this pun) But POWER is a fantastic show. It’s darker than Empire and all the other shows out there and I love it! If you think about it the show is like a chess game. I agree with 50 Cent because this show doesn’t get the just deserts that it deserve. I don’t mean to play the race card but most black shows (unless they are network television) do not get the recognition that they deserve.

• Collette says:

That’s probably due to the population percentages. Black shows don’t attract that many non black viewers because others don’t relate to black culture. And black viewers don’t add up to a big enough audience.

• betsy says:

so basically, you can’t relate to people who don’t look like you, so no one can relate. cool.

• Collette says:

It isn’t about how anyone looks. It’s about understanding the inside jokes, the slang, the reactions of another ethnicity. Different cultures have certain mindsets that don’t ring bells with others. For example: Italians are dramatic and emotional while the Japanese and Brits are very reserved and polite. Yes, in a way it’s profiling but it still gets that kind of reaction from an audience. I might watch a documentary about native Americans on the reservation, but not a weekly show. Not racist just not relatable.

• KatsMom says:

You may think your decision not to watch isn’t racist, but everything else in your comment there is stereotyped bigotry. It completely undermined your assertion.

• KCC says:

I thought the Golden Globes were about recognizing quality. You’re point is about the number of viewers, not the quality of the show. A well made and acted show is quality no matter the subject, white culture, black culture or anything in between. The number of viewers or people interested in the subject matter is not necessarily a reflection of a quality production.

11. Jon Willis says:

Way to be whiny bitch baby

12. V says:

Quit! Kannan is the weakest part of the show anyway. People prefer his cousin Jukebox much more to him anyway.

13. V says:

Quit! People prefer his cousin Jukebox anyway. He is the weakest actor on the show.

14. Collette says:

So so tired of the “I exist, therefore I deserve everything just for that regardless of whether or not I’ve earned anything”. Can’t wait for that pendulum to swing back in January.

• Pure says:

If you are referring to the US presidential inauguration in January, then the dude at the center of that event is the very DEFINITION of every word in your sentence.

15. CSG says:

Like, what is he honestly talking about? If ratings = awards, than the Walking Dead cast members should be apoplectic over the snubs, but you never hear a peep out of them! And they’ve been on top of ratings for several years in a row. Get a grip dude!!

16. craig says:

I believe Vivica Fox now.

17. hipper says:

That escalated quickly.

18. A fan of TV says:

He’s making me so excited to watch him on this show which I have never checked out. Except he’s turning me off the show completely with his whining.

19. lrdslvrhnd says:

Foot, meet bullet… this has all the hallmarks of “if I can’t be the pitcher, I’m taking my ball and going home!”

20. Cornell Crooks says:

The character Kanan probably wasn’t worthy of an award but there’s no way that the show itself didn’t. Power is one of the top 3 television shows period , you don’t gain such a large following and do those numbers and not get nominated. #Rigged

21. Trogdor777 says:

This is funny. Curtis is clearly passionate about the show, but it somehow translated into him now wanting his character to be killed off….of the show? Yikes! Learn to direct your anger, man. Listen, ‘The Wire’ wasn’t nominated for a darn thing during its 5 year run of legit groundbreaking, hard, urban narrative television. i’m sorry, but there’s just nary a chance that Curtis and ‘Power’ would ever earn a nom. I remember at ATX (austin tv festival)there were staff members heavily recruiting people to go check out a screening of ‘Power’, and they gave out the season 1 box-set as free schwag. I am glad to see this show is doing well, and the ratings are good. Unfortunately, not everything can be nominated. There are multiple articles today revolving around ‘snubs’ that testify to that. Well, ‘The big bang theory’ wasn’t nominated for the billionth time, so that’s growth right?!? Cheers. (P.s.Tatiana was my perceived snub today. #sestras

22. MzTeaze says:

So this was all it took to get him off the show?

23. 50 Cent wasnt nominated? Cant a brutha evah get a break?