the-walking-dead-season-7-episode-8-recap

The Walking Dead Midseason Finale Recap: Clear and Present Danger

Warning: The following contains spoilers from Sunday’s midseason finale of The Walking Dead.

Has a television character ever had a bigger target painted on his back than The Walking Dead’s Negan? Going into Sunday’s midseason finale, it wasn’t just individuals like Maggie who wanted to see the Saviors’ sadistic leader pushing up daisies, it was whole communities. Alexandria. The Hilltop. The Kingdom. Oceanside. Hell, even his own henchmen would probably have been more relieved than upset to see him go bye-bye. But alas, the villain survived “Hearts Still Beating.” Could we say the same about (all of) our heroes? Read on and find out, then grade the super-sized installment in the poll below.

‘CARL, PASS THE ROLLS… PLEASE’ | Early on in the episode, Gregory continued to antagonize Maggie (this time in front of Eduardo, who called him on his B.S.); Daryl left his cell; Spencer sucked up to the Saviors (and even flirted with one); Negan shaved off his stubble in front of Carl and Judith (“always against the grain”); and Tara delivered the jerk’s lemonade to Olivia, even offering to take her place. But Olivia, further endearing herself (to me, anyway), refused to be spelled; she wanted to keep her promise to Rick to look after Judith. At “supper,” Negan declared that he couldn’t wait for Rick to show up anymore. “Lucille is hungry.”

the walking dead season 7 episode 8 recapSpeaking of hungry, Daryl found time to make a quick snack of a jar of peanut butter on his way out of The Sanctuary. (He also got to change out of his prisoner drag.) Meanwhile, Richard stopped in at Carol’s just when Morgan was paying a house call. Ezekiel’s security head argued that the Saviors couldn’t be trusted and asked the duo to use their influence to convince the king to attack the bad guys before something went wrong and they attacked The Kingdom. When Carol and Morgan both refused, Richard angrily told them that, when people died because of their inaction, their blood would be on the pair’s hands. Then again, he added, “Maybe you’re both used to that.”

the-walking-dead-season-7-episode-8-recap‘I’LL PULL THE TRIGGER’ | Off his disappointing meeting with Carol and Morgan, Richard made his way to a camper (his family’s?) where he broke down and wept. Meanwhile, in Alexandria, Rosita confessed to Gabriel that she didn’t care if she got killed taking out Negan “as long as he goes first.” Reminding us of what a complete turnaround he’d done since he was selling out Rick & Co. to Deanna, the preacher wisely, sweetly advised Rosita that they’d win in time. But “we need to wait for the right moment, or create it — together — and you’re a part of that… We need you.” Later, she caught Spencer on his way to kiss up to Negan. “Why’d you even start” whatever we had, he wondered. “I used you,” she replied. “I’m sorry.” Still, he asked her out to dinner — just dinner, no strings — and she agreed.

In the field, Aaron was nearly killed by walkers as he and Rick canoed their way to the houseboat full of weapons in the lake. Their mission was successful; however, they were spotted by someone (perhaps the houseboat’s owner, who they assumed was deceased… all we saw was a boot). Anyway, Aaron reaffirmed his commitment to Rick and his decision to do whatever they had to in order to maintain a pulse. Upon returning to Alexandria, Rick was prevented from heading straight to his house — and Negan — by David. When the Saviors finally did let Rick go, it was only so they could beat up Aaron (thanks to a nasty note they found from the houseboat owner). By then, Spencer was warning Negan that Rick has a history of not playing well with others.

the walking dead season 7 episode 8 recap‘HIS EGO’S OUT OF CONTROL’ | On and on, Spencer badmouthed Rick… and suggested that he himself step in as leader of Alexandria. In response, Negan noted that Rick was “swallowing his hate and getting s— done. That takes guts. And then there’s you, the guy who waited for Rick to be gone” to try and take his place. Why didn’t Spencer just kill Rick himself and take over? Negan’s guess? Spencer had no guts. At that, Negan stabbed Spencer, revealing that, well, whad’ya know? He was full of guts. “I’ve never been so wrong in my whole life,” Negan chuckled. When no one would join him to finish the game of billiards that he and Spencer had started, at last, Rosita pulled her gun and fired!

Alas, she only hit Lucille. Realizing that the bullet was homemade, Negan decided not to let Arat deface Rosita if she told him how she got it. Since he didn’t believe that she’d made it herself, Negan ordered Arat to kill somebody, so the Savior swung around and shot Olivia. Arriving on the scene, Rick fought to contain his rage. “Your s—’s waiting for you at the gate,” he told Negan. “Just go.” But he wouldn’t, not until he found out who made the bullet. Rather than let Negan hurt anyone else, Tara said it was her. Then Eugene bravely piped up and admitted that it was him, and was taken away by Negan. Just then, Spencer turned, and at least Rick got to dispatch Walker Spencer.

‘YOU DON’T KNOW ME’ | En route to Negan’s, Michonne asked her Savior hostage how long she’d been with the villain. But the woman refused to talk. “I’m not gonna kill him today,” Michonne said. “I’m gonna find a way that we win.” (Good luck with that.) Showing Michonne the scope of Negan’s control, the Savior said her captor still had choices. Michonne should kill her and make the car disappear. She even helpfully noted that there was a silencer in the glove compartment. When Michonne returned to Alexandria, she told Rick — who was plotting in what looked like a prison cell — she’d found what she’d been looking for. “We’re still standing, and we’re gonna keep standing,” she said. “How do we make that mean something?” They had to fight. For Judith. Carl. Alexandria. All of them. “We can do this,” she said, “but only if we do this.” Luckily, “I know that now,” he responded.

Leaving The Sanctuary, Daryl was spotted by Fat Joey, who was quick to say whatever, man, just go. But Daryl didn’t just go at all; just as Jesus happened upon them, Daryl murdered the plus-sized Savior. At The Hilltop, Maggie and Sasha’s heroism had made them mega-popular — and a real threat to Gregory. In no time, Enid figured out that Sasha was “lying to Maggie about Jesus” leaving that day rather than earlier. Sasha admitted that, duh, she wanted to kill Negan. But “it isn’t just you,” Enid insisted. Other people wanted to do him in, too. It didn’t feel that way to Sasha, though. As the episode concluded, Rick, Michonne, Tara, Rosita and Carl showed up at The Hilltop to tell Maggie that they were ready to fight, and who was there but Daryl, back with Jesus. So we ended the midseason on (kinda) a positive note. (Sorry, Olivia.) Oops — no, that wasn’t the ending. After that, we saw whoever that was who’d spied Rick and Aaron at the houseboat keeping an eye on Alexandria.

What did you think of the midseason finale? Grade it in the poll below, then back up your assessment in the comments.

1. Spence says:

Definitely one of the worst episodes of the series, and fits nicely with the the rest of Season 7 in terms of mediocracy and laziness. AMC needs to rethink the Season 8 renewal. As a diehard fan of the show since day 1, the past two years have been supremely disappointing and upsetting.

• Mitsotakis says:

In fairness this was a good episode. Doesn’t make up for the past 5 episodes that could have taken place in 2 episodes but come one. This was a good one. Would have been a good 4th episode of the season with 4 more to go.

• Will says:

Fact is…the reason the early parts of the season are like that (5 eps that could be two) is that to keep costs down I think all the actors only work 10 eps a season…including Rick. It means that we get some of these ‘1 character’ shows every year for like 7 weeks. I’d rather see them cut the order down to 12…but it is what it is.

• KLS says:

Not sure about this. Usually, if the actor has a main role, he/she gets paid for all episodes in that season whether he/she appears in them or not. Haven’t seen the contracts for TWD, so I can’t be sure they are doing things differently.

• Denise says:

If u don’t like it. Don’t watch it it! No room for haters

• Missy says:

What show have you been watching?

2. Walkie says:

More nonsense violence from Negan. Same crap over and over again. His character is woefully boring.

This had to be the corniest ending of a show I have seen in a long time.

• Mitsotakis says:

The actor is just terrible. Such a poor casting decision.

• Mary says:

I’m told the presentation of Negan is a close representation of the comic book character. Definitely an unlikable but Goofy piece of sht.

• Passerby says:

What are you talking about? JDM is great! Negan is supposed to be terrifying but charismatic and loopy, JDM gets it.

• Missy says:

These haters don’t seem to understand he’s portraying an actual character. lol

• ew says:

Oh we get it. it’s just not working.

• wrstlgirl says:

it’s working just fine for me :-)

• Missy says:

If you got it, you wouldn’t be saying it’s not working. ;)

• Desde says:

Those windowlickers don’t seem to get what the haters do… You can’t do on TV what you can in comics.

Nagan’s character is over the top super mega violent. It does not translate to TV or to a general audience which you need to to remain solvent. Advertisers are pulling out, viewership has tanked, and even more of a he people that still watch it don’t like it.

Like all series of media, you have the knuckle draging window licking fan boys who can’t see their favorite properties downfall to save them.

People don’t like the character of Negan. You have to be a sociopath and have any moral empathy shut off to enjoy him on the show and should seek psychological help.

• Alex says:

Just because some of the audience are not so ‘uber loyal’ as you because they demand a certain level of quality in the show does not give you the right to diss them. It says a lot that people care enough for this show ininto the first place to want to voice their concerns that they don’t know what the heck Kirkman is trying to do to the franchise anymore. Since the spin off it’s been a downward spiral, lets be real here. Next time people will just switch off but you go ahead with its tedium by all means.

• Missy says:

“they don’t know what the heck Kirkman is trying to do to the franchise anymore” …. He’s trying to bring it to being closer to the comics. True fans see and appreciate that.

• Lilly says:

Reading comments here you can tell most fans of the graphic novels are big fans of Negan and this season. Those of us who don’t read the comics are reacting to the fact that Negan isn’t translating on screen quite the same way as apparently he did in the comics. The thought of having his cocky, obnoxious character around for years is stomach churning. As I’ve said before, I’m here for the long haul, but “die hard” TWD comicc fans need to realize if they lose the tv-only-fans, the show is canceled and you can go back to solely reading the novels. I don’t mean that to be argumentative – it’s a fact I do NOT want to happen!!

• Missy says:

I never read the comics/graphic novels. However, I am really enjoying Negan and the season, thus far. So, it’s not just the “die hard comic fans” that “get” Negan.

• Lilly says:

Oh, okay. I’m just not one of those people who “loves to hate” the bad guys. If I did, I’m sure I’d love Negan. I HATED the Governor – especially the extra episodes they “wasted” (IMO) on following him only as he tracked back to the group at the prison. I do respect having a big-bad character who can’t be defeated in a couple of episodes, but right now he just is annoying to me and is only serving the purpose of killing off characters! I can agree to disagree on Negan specifically. My only serious complaint with this season is the way they devote whole episodes to one or two characters. With the group so split up, it’s just frustrating to wait weeks to get updates on the core characters. Wish they would tell multiple stories each week – like they did last night – and NOT spend so much time with Negan on screen.

• AnnieM says:

I’m a regular reader of the comic, and I can’t stand Negan. JDM is doing a great job playing the character, but it’s my fervent hope that he is too expensive and in-demand of an actor for Negan to be around for longer than the current season. Besides, Papa W. needs to get back to Sam & Dean where he belongs, especially since Mary is back. ;-)

• Gemma says:

I agree with Lilly. But not everyone reads comics and some just appreciate the show on its own, which I don’t think should be judged. And Missy, I feel you are being quite judgemental. TWD has been dividing people for some time now but it’s not bitter hate, these people were at least fans once upon a time and genuinely want it to start going back to it’s great ways. Fine if you enjoy it as is but people will disagree and you should at least respect that. Because I think it seems perfectly clear that this has been coming for some time. Stick with the main show I say because no matter what it will still carry on a bit longer. But there is no need for all the extras from Kirkman, it is not really working and many are becoming jaded.

• Missy says:

Stick to the main show? I’m sorry, was that not TWD I watched Sunday, but some spin-off? I’m confused. I don’t understand what people are so upset about. It’s still TWD, we are still following the same characters. It can’t be the same show every season, changes must happen. If you’re a fan whom has watched the show from the beginning, you have to know this. People die, new people come in. That’s the way the show is. And “all the extras from Kirkman”? Did you really just say that? You do realize it is HIS show, HIS story?

• Alex says:

You need to calm down and cut out the rudeness and attitude. If you have an opinion, great, fine but stop slamming other people for having one too. I think I get what is being said here. Standards have slipped because the main show is starting to succumb to the bad habits of the spin off. Like yeah, some people must die that we love, got that. But when they start introducing a whole bunch of newbies and they spend whole weeks divided in their storytelling, that becomes frustrating. Too much going on. And you can’t bond with people that way, who even cares if any of them die? Not me. The only ones I root for are the big players in the show like Rick. But even my favorites have just annoyed the hell out of me in some aspects of this season. So yes, the main show has started developing some annoying little habits that were even 100 times more irritating from the spin off. If that’s called ‘sticking with the comics’, it’s a load of BS that only the avid comic geeks will appreciate and of course those who blindly love it all without question. Even the zombies are getting pushed aside these days and are biggest fear is supposedly old man Negan who has just become a whiny joke.

So there you are, my opinon, and if you don’t like it, too bad for you.

• Missy says:

You need to not tell someone what they need to do. So, you don’t like new people being introduced? Well, what happens when all of your beloved characters are dead? There will be nothing be walkers left on the show? lol, really? And again, I am not a “comic geek”. I’ve never seen the comics nor read them. I’m strictly a TV fan, and I really don’t get why everyone is so upset at this season. Also, walkers were NEVER the biggest threat to the characters, it was always other people. I’m sorry you can’t appreciate the character, Negan. I’m sorry you fail to see exactly what he is, how terrifying he truly is. I am thrilled he’s part of the show now, and laugh and cringe with ever scene he’s in. As far as whining how the plot plays out, well yea, it can get annoying that we can go for weeks without seeing what a certain character is up to, but I like how the individual stories are told and how they all mesh together at the end. IMO, this has been a great season, so far. And no, I’m not being judgmental or rude (sarcastic, yes, but that’s not being rude). I really don’t understand some of y’all’s mentalities when it comes to this season.

• Alex says:

Wow, so you’re also a hypocrite then! Telling people exactly what Kirkman is doing like you can read his thoughts and telling people he is simply “sticking to the comics” when you just more or less admitted you don’t have a bloody clue because you haven’t even seen it. Genius theory right there (now that’s REAL sarcasm). If you don’t get it, then maybe it’s your taste, you love it, will watch it til it’s on its last legs with nothing left to offer. Great for you. But I have a long list of shows that I like to watch, that’s the beauty of netflix. And since I’m seeing the signs so early, I’m just expressing my concern which I am fully entitled to do, as is everyone else without being insulted by rude asses. Even the new poster just seemed like a bad attempt to keep everyone happy and reminded me of one of those tween dystopian things, rise up. Mockingjay the second more like. And for someone who even knows the story after having bits spoiled to me, I can say they are deluding people.

• Missy says:

And you told me to calm down? What are you even talking about? I stated, “He’s trying to bring it to being closer to the comics. True fans see and appreciate that”….which anyone with the ability to read a bit on the internet can discover. Anywho, no, I only have a couple of shows that I watch regularly. I have too much to do in my actual life than to sit around and stare at a TV every day. (and did you mean you watch TWD on netflix, so YOU haven’t even seen the current season?) And please tell me where I have insulted anyone? I can’t have my own opinion, but you all can have yours? lol, please. I’m sorry that my personality is too brass for you to handle, honey.

• Alex says:

First of all, I am cool as a cucumber actually. Second, the fact you need to have your rudeness pointed out just shows what a lost cause you are rather than just owning up and saying look, that was a bit catty. That my dear is what I see as being a sociopath’s thinking so maybe you genuinely believe you’re not. Oh dear.
            And back to the point, I’m referring to the fact that I have not seen the comics but I know what will happen anyway because it has been spoiled for me. And I can clearly see that if they are ‘sticking to the comics’ which you surely have seen since you know so well, this means that this will most likely crush people’s hopes in a nice comeback.

I am not a fan of this particular narrative arc and have found it quite dragged out and silly overall. But again, if you say it’s because it’s Kirkman’s story and they want to stick with the comics, well then I already know I and many others will not enjoy the disappointment to come.

• Missy says:

I never said I was rude, you did. :)

• Alex says:

Rudeness = insulting. I can see I’ve been wasting my time with someone who is in fact a child or has the mentality of one. But when TWD messes up again, I’ll be sure to voice my opinon on it as I am entitled. And your opinion of my opinion means diddly squat to me so tough.

• Missy says:

So, you can share your opinion, but when I share mine I’m insulting and rude? lol, gotcha.

• Alex says:

You can voice youur opinion but you don’t have to slam nearly all the people who said there were problems with it. That is rude and childish.

• Partisan says:

Good actor, bad character. Negan is Kirkman’s personal fantasy. He thinks the guy is great and just can’t comprehend that we don’t love him too. He barely worked in the comic and is just terrible to watch on tv. He’s more caricature than character.

• Will says:

TOTALLY disagree her. As far as the source material…this is really close to it. He’s doing the part well…Negan is total id/SuperEgo…it’s incredible. The actor is great.

• Denise says:

But he fed him spaghetti!!!

3. Ian says:

ARRGHH, ROSITA!!!
    Best episode of the season so far.

4. ann says:

Negan better not hurt Eugene.

5. Carter says:

So far I felt it was a great first half of the season. I don’t get the dislike that people have for this season. If people aren’t enjoying it they can stop watching but I’ll never get behind a “I don’t like it, it needs to be cancelled attitude.” If I felt that way then I’d of said that after the the 3rd season of Supernatural or the 2nd season of Sleepy Hollow. If I’m not feeling it anymore I just stop watching. Other people enjoy it so kudos to them.

6. AngelWasHere says:

Such a drag. I’m looking forward to February, but why couldn’t we get to this point sooner. :/ Anyway, Spencer’s death scene was too funny tho. Thank goodness that douche is gone. As for Rosita, she was an idiot for taking that shot.

7. Mitsotakis says:

So we could have watched this 4 episodes ago, and have had 3 more to go for the fall season?

8. Here I am says:

I thought I would really like this epi since we got to see what all the main characters were up to but it lacked that oompth in it. Just like the other epis in S7A the pacing was slow. Why does Negan have to talk so slowly? I’m glad though that team family has decided to fight. Maybe now the mood of the season can change and the pace will pick up when they come back for the second part of the season. Rosita deserves a side-eye for her actions.Olivia’s blood is on her hands.

9. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

FINALLY!!!!!!!!! The gang is back now it’s time to get back to KICKIN ASS. So HAPPY to see Rick & Daryl bro-hug that sh*t made me tear up LOL!
    One more thing Spencer is a dumbass glad he’s dead.

• Leah says:

Yes!! That scene had me crying it was perfect.

• LAwoman says:

That bro hug was everything. I loved seeing Maggie smile too.

• AnnieM says:

That was even better than that scene 2 seasons ago when Rick said “Daryl, you’re my brother.” Man oh man, Daryl-tears get me every time. :-)

• Laura says:

I liked the hug too, but I admit I felt a little robbed as they didn’t show Daryl coming face-to-face with Maggie when he got to Hilltop and her reaction to him. I think the fans needed a little therapeutic moment where she silently forgave him with a hug because I think he needs that in order to start forgiving himself

• Lilly says:

I’d bet good money that’s coming. I think we’re supposed to read into her smile at their approach that she was generally pleased to see them all. But I think you’re right: Daryl needs her forgiveness. Even then, I honk he will have a hard time forgiving himself.

10. NotLikely says:

Cue the ever incessant whining from the folks who want us to know that they hate every character on the show, both old and new, also that the show, the writing, the actors, and the producers have sucked since season 2 – and even though it sucks they continue to watch week after week after week because it’s their calling to say the same thing over and over so that they can save everyone else. Lather rise repeat……

• Pfruit says:

Lol to all of this. People seem to love to hate watch shows just so they can whine about it. Im perfectly fine with the slow build up because not every season can be like season 6. Most of this show is a very slooooow build to get to epic moments. If it took having episodes 2-6 just so I could have a great 7B and a great season 8 for all out war then im ok with that. This show can’t be action all the time. It has to be about character development. It has to be about community building and world building or we just won’t give a crap about what they are actually fight for.
      This was a really good episode. I had that sense of anxiety because it felt like everyone was at risk. The deaths that occurred were useful. Spencer needed to go. He had no loyalty. I hate that Olivia died but it taught rosita a lesson, as did the loss of Eugene. The #rickonne conversation was perfection. She needed to speak her truth and he needed to be in a place to hear it so they could get back on the same page and lead their people. I love that Maggie was essentially going up the watch post everyday just waiting for the rest of team family to show up. She had so much faith. That rick/Daryl hug gave me ALL the feels. That bromance is golden & the moment Daryl gave him back his gun was just…I can’t even find a word for it.
      Now all we need is for carol to remember that her list of talents: start and end with kicking butt. Her and Morgan need to step up. I am hoping that once carol sees Daryl she will remember that no one gets to just call out sick and skip the apocalypse.

• Super-Fan says:

No….Carol’s talents are kicking butt and making cookies!!!!

• AnnieM says:

Pfruit, you said it all – I can’t agree with you more. My best guess is once Carol & Morgan FINALLY find out everything Negan has done to their ‘family’ while they’ve been away, that Carol will realize that she can’t outrun people dying no matter where she goes, and Morgan will finally see that while non-violence may be swell as a general principle, sometimes there will be a barbed-wire bat-wielding psycho that you can’t reason with who just needs to be put down.

• Lilly says:

Agree. I’ve had a few issues with slow pacing (leaving characters and storylines alone for weeks) and a few stupid decisions by smart characters, but this was a solid episode! LOVED that last scene where no one had to say a word. Scratching my head at the haters.

• Walkie says:

Maybe because it was so over the top corny that it didn’t fit into the tone of the show. That ending was so stupid.

• Missy says:

How the hell was it corny? It was everyone coming together and reuniting. It was perfect.

• CountryQueen says:

The music, the camera lingering on their shining, smiling faces. Oh, yeah, all kinds of corny in THAT moment. The Darrly Rick hug was great. I liked this episode the best this 1/2 season though, but recognize that moment as completely corny.

• Missy says:

Meh, you people need to get in touch with your feels, lol. They were totally setting up the mood. I normally pick out corniness, my bf is as corny as they come. That scene was not corny, IMO. It was set up like that so the audience could see/understand that the characters have worked out their issues/emotions and are ready to work together to fight against Negan.

• Josie says:

I feel like TWD is just getting old and tired. It has lost a great deal of its sparkle.

Bahahahaha! Yes!

• Earl Dixon says:

Agreed I love the show, just can understand why people watch if they hate the show so much SMH

11. Caren M says:

The person in the boots was keeping an eye on Alexandria not the Hilltop… Right? Wasn’t it Gabriel on the wall? Maybe I need to rewatch that

12. Eric says:

Honestly, what’s the deal with everyone saying that the show has been awful over the past few years? In my mind, seasons 2-4 were pretty bad, but ever since then I’ve been loving it. As a long-time fan of the comics, I’m so glad Negan is around now, and I’m loving JDM’s portrayal. I think the show is as good as it’s ever been. Why the hate?

13. DarkDefender says:

I really liked this episode. I have been waiting for our team to get thier fight back. Glad Carl didn’t die (RIP Olivia). I’m guessing the largeness of the Saviors compound (a small city?) there will need to be pointed well times attacks. I bet those mike bottles and gasoline jugs in the trailer would make nice Molotov cocktails.
    My money is on Rick, Michonne, Daryl and (yes) Carol. Maggie is the one they should be following. Time to take The creepy, hate mongering self absorbed narcissist OUT.
    NEGAN needs to go too. Viva le resistance!

14. D Griffis says:

Wow, reviewer should do more than regurgitate the episode, should attempt to understand it.

First, it didnt look like a cell, it was a cell. Morgan built it for the Wolf he captured. It was the focal point on his entire character arc.

Secondly, Mr. Boots was watxhing Alexandria, Gabriel was on the wall.

15. Modules says:

Viewers/fans who like and care about the show are providing feedback and areas that they think the show can do better so that it’s around for a long time versus losing viewers and the show ending etc. Not sure how providing feedback = whining. But hey, I suppose the ratings dropping this season is because viewers are liking what they’ve seen so far this season so they shouldn’t “whine”. SMH.

• Dysturbed says:

“Not sure how providing feedback = whining.”

In regards to any given subject, whether it’s something like a tv show or something of much greater importance in the grand scheme of things…. opinions, good points, etc. tend to get lost based on how they are presented. If people are perceived to be whining when giving their feedback, then some people are likely to point it out, just as if people are perceived to be too much of an apologist for absolutely anything, it tends to get pointed out.

• Modules says:

Thanks for your POV. So the difference here is how the feedback is (1) presented by OP (2) how it’s received by any given reader. I took the word whining was being brought up here because several fans who comment on here mention specific things (be it a certain character, the writing, plot etc) they didn’t particularly like about an episode and those things happen to be the same things that they didn’t like in an episode before that and the one before that. IMO that’s not whining, It’s providing an honest feedback/opinion of what was presented and how a certain viewer perceived it in a given episode. And (to borrow your word) in the grand scheme of things, if they were taking a tally then they would see there is a trend on a specific feedback from one episode to another. That trend can be useful in improving what they are presenting to the viewers.

16. Matt says:

So basically what they are telling us is watch the premier and the finales and skip the six episodes between.

The real lesson from this episode is that the show is at its best when every character group has a role in every episode.

17. Missy says:

You people will never be satisfied, lol. I think this episode was great and it wrapped up the past episodes perfectly. IMO, the episodes needed to play out the way they did in order to show the audience what each character was going through, and how he/she was coping. Now we all see that they are done licking their wounds and are gearing up to fight back! I can’t wait until February! Oh, and yes, I still love Negan!

18. Whatevah says:

This was a great episode. I loved seeing Rick get p8ssed. This was the perfect way to end the midseason.

19. Kristine says:

Love TWD. That being said, I’ve been VERY disappointed in the very slow pace of this season. I also love JDM but I find Negan an absolute bore. His time on screen puts me to sleep. He has no depth. He’s just smarm and threats of violence. Zzz zzz. I was hoping for an interesting baddie like the Governor. I really loved hating him. Oh well.

I really only truly enjoyed the last 15 minutes of the midseason finale. Get the gang together and make something happen! Yes! I’m hoping that the back end of this season will be bada**. The preview looked promising.

20. wrstlgirl says:

Negan should have killed Rosita. What a stupid b*tch. Her reckless behavior gets Olivia killed and Eugene taken…..seeing her waltzing into The Hilltop all smiles was just wrong on so many levels. Now I just want to see her die, lmao. Other than that I loved it.

21. ew says:

Who didn’t see Spencer’s death coming? They basically announced it when he invited Rosita to dinner. But the manner in which Negan gut him was surprising. Speaking of Spencer, I hope this is the last time we see someone from Alexandria blame Rick for their troubles… we already saw that plot play out last season with the kid who shot Carl’s eye.

The ending was good and hopeful. As much as I’ve been wanting this show to get to the action, it still felt rushed. They should have just done a time jump and had Alexandria under Negan’s thumb for a longer time to really build up how much the group has been worn down. I don’t even know what the point of having Darryl captured was… it’s like if the show doesn’t have the comics to go off of they don’t know what to do. Literally, Darryl was captured for like … 3 days? Rick had to go on 1 whole run before he decided to change his perspective about Negan? It makes him look crazy. I wish Rick had been the one who was secretly plotting to get Negan from the start. As awesome as Michonne’s speech was, it diminished Rick’s character. The show seems intent on making Rick weak sometimes.

The water zombie stuff was awesome, though. I wish the show did more with the group as a whole facing threats each week like in season 1 and 2 and then smaller arcs.

I can’t stand JDM’s portrayl of Negan as this laid back “cool guy” who leans as far back as he can when he talks and speaks…as…slow…as…he…can. With the Governor I could see how he would get to be in charge, I can’t see that with Negan.

22. Dave says:

A significant improvement over the past 3-4 episodes …

23. WendyILC says:

Can anyone explain the significance of Negan shaving his face early in the episode? Was it to just play on the ironic “happy family” vibe he was trying to portray to Carl?

• AngelWasHere says:

I haven’t read the comics, but I believe Negan face is clean shaven in the comics and it’s callback to that.

• AnnieM says:

It’s been 3 (?) years since I read that arc, but I’m pretty sure Negan also did the shaving thing in front of Carl in the comic, too.

• Lilly says:

My take on that scene was just Negan “making himself at home” in Rick’s house. Holding his baby. Eating his food… and using his razor.

• Jamie says:

There has been so many opportunities to kill Negan. So many times when he was not around his people when someone could have bashed him or the head or something.

24. AnnieM says:

Just a thought – when we saw Boots in the post-credits tag, those binoculars-holding hands looked female to me. So, I’m going to guess that it’s someone from the Oceanside group. Hubby & I wonder if it’s the girl who helped Tara.

25. McSatan says:

I think it’s been fine. Love JDM’s take on Negan, I think it is perfect. Hate that Olivia died, we were just getting to know her and I liked her quiet strength. Negan saw there was more to her too. Overall, I loved the first half of the season, much better than Z Nation which has really gone off the rails this season, or Supernatural (now THERE is a show that has overstayed its welcome, this may be the last season I watch barring some incredible surge in quality.)

• wrstlgirl says:

100% agree w/you on Supernatural. I’m struggling to watch it and find myself FF’g through a lot of it. Still love those boys but I think it’s time to end it.

26. Azerty says:

I have a lot of issues with this season, like a lot a lot (the pace, too many filler episodes) but boy that last scene left me in tears. That hug between Rick and Daryl almost made up for the bad first half of this season.

27. Jermey says:

Neegan is the most annoying character on tv right now. I don’t care how similar he is to the comics, it just doesn’t work on the show. Hopefully they’ll get rid of him sooner rather than later.

Other than that – the last 15 minutes of this episode were great. Let’s hope the second part of the season will be better than its first half.

28. CSG says:

I thought it was the best episode of 7A. There were moments when my heart was racing because I didn’t know what was going to happen to a character (Rosita, Eugene), moments I cheered inside (Richonne’s philosophical reconciliation), and others at which I teared up (loss of Olivia, Hilltop reunion scene). It’s that heady emotional rollercoaster ride that we traverse due to our investment in these characters that has made the show so great. Is it perfect? No, but I don’t know of any show on air that is.

29. FarAwayDeb says:

There were only 2 or 3 episodes of this part of the season that were good; the rest were boring. I hope the second part of the season is better, because it will be a long wait until October.

30. Jamie says:

I LOVE TWD! Best show ever!

31. MWJ says:

Enjoyed this show for a while, now prefer reading recaps first to see if spending time to watch. Rick could have ended Negan with the bat in episode 1, seems like this season is a waste of time.

32. Carlo D says:

Why did Rick and Aaron have to cross a zombie infested lake to get to a boat on the other side if later on they just drove up to where the boat was docked

33. Randi says:

I’ve been reading everyone’s comments on these last two season and I totally agree that they’ve been incredibly disappointing. I keep watching hoping something good will happen to spice things up again. But it doesn’t. But in their defense it IS fashioned after a graphic novel, so they can’t/won’t change too much. As for the Negan character, I love to hate himmlol. He adds some much needed comic relief to the show, especially since Abraham is gone now.
    I like to pu Red on Netflix and let it just play through while I work and I ALWAYS re-watch the earlier episodes, NOT these…. Hopefully things pick back up soon and that changes…

34. Mike says:

Didn’t like it, period. What was that Rick just watching your friend who almost drowned in a pool of walkees being beaten up. C’mon. And Rosita, leme not start with her. I hate feeling all weak and subjective but that’s what this first made us feel. I’m out.