Fuller House Season 2

Fuller House Boss Echoes Jesse's Shout-Out to Michelle in Season 2: 'What He Said Is How We All Feel'

Though Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen are clearly not interested in reprising the role of Michelle Tanner on Fuller House, the Netflix comedy remains ready to receive them with open arms — and will never stop reminding them.

The twins got several shout-outs during Season 1, including a drunken voicemail at Kimmy’s bachelorette party and a fourth wall-breaking dig in the series premiere. But in Season 2, it’s all about Jesse’s Turkey Day address.

“We miss Michelle,” D.J. says in Episode 6 after giving thanks that (nearly) the entire family could come together for the holiday, adding, “We hope she’ll be with us next year.”

That’s when Jesse leans back in his chair, looks directly at the camera, and says, “Come, it’ll be fun!” Cue the laughter.

TVLine spoke with series creator Jeff Franklin about this latest invite: “That’s our way of communicating with them now,” he explained. “We just talk to them through the show. What [Jesse] said was how we all feel. We’d still love to see them come back. Who knows if that’ll ever happen, but we’re all still hopeful.”

What did you think of Fuller‘s invitation for Michelle? Are you hoping the Olsens decide to appear in Season 3, or should we all just give up? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. LK says:

They just need one of them… not really both

• helenhypnotic says:

Try not to forget that these girls have been publicly scrutenized for years, constantly being critiqued by so called ‘fans’ for every single physical flaw. Just look at the comments about Mary Kate’s physical appearance from photos you have seen. I can just imagine what the tabloids would say, and I don’t blame them for not wanting to be a part of it. Mary Kate has battled with anorexia and drug addiction that probably stems from years of social abuse. They are human beings, not animals for you to peruse in a zoo. These girls made up my childhood, but they don’t owe anyone anything, they put their whole adolescent lives out there for the public to see, they deserve to be able to live their lives without having to pay homage to the show that “started their career”

2. John says:

I think they should do a wink about “how busy” Michelle is by having both Olsen girls return as a clone of each other interacting with the Tanners so both ladies could appear in one role.

3. Tom says:

I still don’t understand why they seem to think they’re too good for the show that gave them their career

• Jason says:

They have about a billion reasons to think they’re too good for this show.

• M says:

Ever thought about how they just don’t want to? They don’t act anymore, and they were done with that show by age 8. They probably barely remember the experience, they aren’t doing that kind of work anymore, but they should come back just because it’s where they got their start? Why should they feel obligated? Not everyone has to be interested in reboots/sequels/spin offs. They’ve never spoke badly about the show or it’s cast, they just don’t want to be about the same thing now that they were as children. They did their time with the series. Now that everyone else has nothing better to do that they created a sequel, they should have to show up? Everyone should leave them alone.

• Nika says:

and why the remaining cast did the effort to show up? and not them? I mean I did nto know the Olsen twins think they are better than them and they feel like they are superior than the rest of the cast. I mean what is wrong to show up in like 2 oe 3 episodes to or do a briefly guest star appearance, how bad could that be? They were part of the show and had a very important role on it and if it was not for that show the Olsen twins wont be in the place they are right now. That show made them a star at least they should be thankful for that.

Their behavior is of some spoiled arrogant brats!!

• Jamie says:

Bc the rest of the cast needs the money. When was the last time you saw Stephanie or Kimmy or Uncle Joey in anything? The only reason John Stamos is showing up is because he is executive producing and getting extra paid. The Olsens aren’t acting like they’re too good. They clearly just have time-consuming jobs and aren’t interested in taking time off to fly across the country to act, which is something they haven’t wanted to do in years.

• Kelly says:

I highly doubt that Candace Cameron “needs the money” . They all wanted to do this show, they didn’t “need” to. Yes I’m sure they are getting paid but I really don’t think that’s why they agreed to it. Anyone who watched Full House back in the day absolutely LOVES Fuller House! I really hope there’s a season 3! Hopefully the Olson twins won’t be so selfish and Stop being all about themselves and make an appearance on the show! Who said they even have to act- just make an appearance! That would show that they aren’t all about themselves, regardless if this was their “child hood” careers! This was also the other girls’ child hood careers too and you don’t see any of them being selfish and boycotting the show! They need to get off their high horse and stop thinking they are more important than the rest of the cast! It seems as though the producers can’t even contact them and they have to give them “messages” through episodes of the show….which is sad! They won’t take any calls? They are NOT that famous to be able to be so stubborn and arrogant!

• Jade says:

They could have done it for the fans. Look at the Gilmore Girls revival, even Melissa McCarthey (who is a star now) made an appearance (even if it was a rather short one). So don’t give me that they have such ‘time-consuming jobs’. They could have filmed a scene in New York where one of them plays Michelle and skypes with Michelle’s family. That’s not exactly time-consuming and they wouldn’t even have to fly.

• Tinya says:

Actually they play in lots of movies

• Eh says:

The rest of the cast showed up because they either have no other prospects or they were adults during filming and returned for sentimental reasons.
          The Twins are retired from acting, one is married and lives in France and the other is busy with their real job.

• Ana M says:

I agree with you. They retired from acting and do their best to stay out of the public eye (paps won’t let them) I mean, can you imagine growing up in Hollywood with tabloids counting down until they turned 18, legal age? I don’t blame them for not coming back. Let them live their lives.

I find it offensive that those on the show are trying to goad/publicly embarrass them to come back on the show. If I were them, I wouldn’t go back. The reboot is mediocre.

• Kathleen says:

I think it’s important that even though THEY might not feel they grew up on the show or have as many fond memories as everyone else on the show, Full House made them into the dynasty they are today. Not to say they haven’t worked hard for where they are, but at 8 years old they were household names. They had TV shows, merchandise, songs, everything–Mary Kate and Ashley were a brand. Coming back for 10 minutes in a show isn’t about them, it’s about doing something for the fans that gave them their start and allowed them the opportunities they had. Them showing up on the show should be 100% about their fans.

• Kelly says:

Exactly!!

• mary says:

Yeah and have you bought a lot of the Row? Do you think a lot of the Fuller House demographic are buying their $900 sweaters? Because the only people they owe are their clients.

Because they moved on, and they are award winning designers, yeah the money they got from the show helped them launch their labels but it also made it harder for them to be taken seriously and they had to prove themselves and they did. These girls were terrible actors but they are brilliant designers and business women let them be, they gave you 8 years of their childhood how much more are you owed?

• Cheryl says:

Actually, in 2011- Beastly, one of the twins were in the movie. Telling me they can’t go to for a quick APPEARANCE? They’ve been acting, at least Mary Kate has, since Full House. Smh..

• Joshua Russell says:

Mary Kate…. Is that you?

• Jim says:

They don’t act anymore. If they were still actresses and refused to come back, then we could accuse them of thinking they’re too good for the show that gave them their career. But since they’ve put acting behind them, then we can’t blame them for not wanting to act in any capacity, even for this show.

• dude says:

Well first of all, Fuller House isn’t Full House so, they don’t. 2) Their parents signed them up for this when they were babies so they didn’t really have a choice in the matter. 3) Fuller House is a terrible, terrible show and they are much better than it.

• Cas says:

Lol they are much better than that? I’ve seen pics and I tend to disagree.

• Hannah says:

They’re running a billion dollar company. Pics that you disapprove of have nothing to do with the fact that they are doing much better than the awful show that is Fuller House.

• Sarah says:

I’m not sure why so many commenters are so nasty. One of the reasons I enjoyed the Fuller House reboot was that it was a refreshing departure from so many mean-spirited, put-down sitcoms. The fact that anyone thinks they have the right to criticize people for their employment choices is bizarre. How would any of you like it if you were forced to quit your job and work at another you’re not interested in? The Olsens’ were children with few choices at the time of the first show, now they want to make their own choices. It’s still America, at least for a few more weeks. The rest of the cast seems to be enjoying what they’re doing and doing it well, no need to make mean comments about their careers either.

• DL says:

That billion dollar empire expires the day you die. A reputation for going out of your way to make your fans happy doesn’t expire. Which is more valuable?

• Kelly says:

I don’t think it’s terrible at all! I think many, many people think the show is fantastic! You must’ve not been a fan of Full House because I guarantee anyone that watched Full House as a kid loves Fuller House! The young generation doesnt understand some scenes from Fuller House because they’ve never really watched Full House nor can they understand some other things they reference to, i.e. New Kids On the Block, MC Hammer dance, Michael Jackson dance during the Nutcracker episode….those are just a few examples. My 11 year old didn’t laugh at many parts that I laughed at because she didn’t “get it”. So yeah, it’s definitely not terrible at all if you “get it” , lol

• mary says:

I don’t think they do, I think they have a new career that has nothing to do with acting. They run two extremely successful fashion lines that employ hundreds and hundreds of people. They have much more important things to do then go play a character they never chose to play but were forced to as infants.

These women aren’t actors they are designers and have moved on to new phases in their lives. Just because the original cast has nothing else going on and need this doesn’t mean they do. It is also incredibly rude and disrespectful for the show to keep doing this pointed swipes. THEY WERE BABIES when this show was on, let them live their lives and follow their career dreams.

• I agree with you 100 %

4. sarah t says:

I agree. This show gave them their start and made them into huge stars. The least they can do is come back and do a brief guest spot. If Sookie can go back to Gilmore Girls for a minute, one of the Olsens can hightail it back to Full(er) House…

• Jamie says:

Melissa McCarthy (Sookie) is still acting by her own choice. The Olsens were pushed into acting by their parents from when they were babies, and once they grew up, they decided they didn’t want to do that anymore. Those situations aren’t comparable.

• Luli says:

They stopped acting yeeeears ago… Melissa still acts. Completely different things.

• steven says:

Mike and Molly made Melissa famous, not Gilmore Girls.

• Tee says:

I think an Oscar nomination for Bridesmaids made her famous, but most people who knew her from Gilmore Girls followed her career, much like they did with Lauren Graham and Alexis Bledel.

5. Dee says:

They definitely only need one of them. I don’t know if it’s because of plastic surgery or what, but they don’t even look similar anymore. They’d never be able to share the part.

• Ryan says:

They aren’t identical twins. They just happened to look similar as children. But also they were so young when the original ended that the part could just be recast and the casual viewer would never know the difference. They could have done that to begin with but this angle of speculating whether an Olsen will reprise the role obviously helps promote the show.

6. John036 says:

I love how people accuse the Olsen twins of thinking that they are “too good” to return to Fuller House. Like…maybe they don’t want to do it? Neither of them have acted in years, maybe they aren’t comfortable with acting anymore.

• Big Cheddar says:

I agree! It would be one thing if they were still acting and decided not to do it, but they left acting behind over a decade ago. If they desperately need Michelle back, they should just recast the role

7. Claire says:

Maybe they’re tired of the show using their absence to make headlines.

8. Pat F says:

The Olsen parents decided the girls would be in show business. Now that they have a choice in the matter they have chosen another career. I don’t think they should be shamed or forced into something they don’t want to do.

9. Alicia Gray says:

LETTTTT ITTTT GOOO…. LET IT GOOOO

• ravynrobyn says:

YAAAAASSSSSS!!!

• Tez says:

Really. Such anger. I love the show how it is. The first comment on Michelle was hilarious and season 2 even got my wife to laugh her butt off. Demographically whoever said “if you watched and liked the original then you should live this one” is correct. Although my wife wasn’t really a fan of the original she has become one on Fuller House. GREAT CAST and better acting. I STILL don’t like Joey though lol

10. Eva says:

Sorry, but I find it kind of obnoxious. The twins clearly don’t share the warm feelings the rest of the cast has for the show. They don’t owe anything to anyone. They never made a conscious decision to be a part of it then, they are exercising this right now. Everyone else should back off and get over it.

• Andrea says:

I don’t find what John Stamos said to be obnoxious, but I do think it’s obnoxious for the general public to expect the twins to come back. For Stamos and the cast, they genuinely knew those girls, and they seem to care about them now. Even if Mary-Kate and Ashley never do come back, I think the cast will always wish it and hope for it. The general public is an entirely different deal. I agree with those who say the twins don’t owe the show anything. They were toddlers! Melissa McCarthy was not a toddler when Gilmore Girls was on. Full House was a choice that was made FOR Mary-Kate and Ashley, not BY them. I have never heard them say anything about the revival except that they choose not to participate (for whatever reason.) They didn’t get to make a choice back them, so I’m perfectly fine with them having a choice now.

• mary says:

But it it is obnoxious for them to keep doing it on the show, and to make these come on it will be fun pointed “jokes” they obviously have to acknowledge she isn’t at Christmas but a quick line of Michelle went to her husband’s house or got snowed in, or had an issue and had take an emergency trip would explain why she isn’t there and not attack the Olsen women for moving forward in their adult lives.

11. Jess says:

You don’t even need the olsen twins, Just recast the character! She was 8 when the show ended. Happens all the time!

• Amber says:

Yes! This is probably going to be the only option they have on getting Michelle “back” and I really wish they would do it so we don’t get anymore awkward shoutouts.

12. J says:

I would like to see the character back for at least one episode. However, I don’t need it to be either Olsen…..if they would come back, great. If not, recast it.

13. If the Mary Kate and Ashley don’t want to act anymore, just cast their sister Elizabeth. She’s an exceptional actress and an Avenger. Maybe they could get her to reprise her sisters’ role? Doubtful but would make for a great story!

14. Jared says:

At some point Michelle is gonna have to make an appearance right?? Whether it’s Mary Kate, Ashley or another actress.

15. Eh says:

This is bordering on harassment. The Olsen Twins doesn’t want to do the show anymore. Recast the part and move on.
    The Olsens were really young when they did the show, never spoke ill of the cast and simply moved on with their lives. The cast of that show should move on too.

16. Cas says:

I never liked Michelle so idc if she makes an appearance. I think it is sort of respectful that the producers haven’t recasted yet. I am not an Olsen fan so I think the show is better without them.

17. DS says:

While I’m a little disappointed that neither Mary-Kate nor Ashley has come back, I fully understand and respect their decision 100%. They’ve both established themselves as very successful fashion designers and undoubtedly don’t want to act anymore. They’re both perfectly entitled to do whatever they want to do at this point in their lives, now that they’re adults. Plus, I think most forget that they both now live and work in NYC, and constant cross-country flights to LA to film the show would disrupt their busy schedules in fashion. I wonder if things would have been different if one or both of them was based in LA.

MK & A both seem to be very smart young women, and I’m sure that deep down they’re both grateful for their time on Full House when they were little, even though it wasn’t their choice. Honestly, you’d have to be a fool to regret being part of a show that is so fondly remembered and beloved by so many people all these years later. Surely they realize that it opened up so many doors for them in their lives, and that they undoubtedly would not be where they are today in fashion without their time on Full House. But having said that, that doesn’t mean that they want to act anymore or travel to act. They surely have wanted to settle into some kind of normalcy that they didn’t have earlier in their lives. Obviously, they’re multimillionaires, but good for them for finding and succeeding in something that they’re so passionate about.

• Melissa says:

Very well put, I agree.

I actually read an interview with MK&A a couple of years ago (I forget what publication it was), and they nostalgically looked back at their early years. They fully credited their time acting on Full House (specifically working with Lori Loughlin), shooting their video series/movies, Two of a Kind, etc. for piquing their interest in and love for fashion. Basically, between them, they did about 12 or 13 wardrobe changes per episode on Full House when they were little girls, and they had input into how their outfits fit and looked.

That proved to me that MK&A have not at all forgotten their roots and are very grateful for the opportunities they were offered as little girls that led them to where they are today, even if they’re seemingly not interested in revisiting those roots at this time. Plenty of child actors/actresses move on to other lines of work as adults. It’s just that I can’t think of any whose childhood sitcoms got revived years later.

• if they’re so “grateful” they could at least make an appearance for 5 minutes, as a thank you to their fans. So what they were “made” to do it when they were younger, I don’t see them giving back any of the money they made from it. They could have a skype call from NYC that way they wouldn’t even have to leave. Literally 30 seconds out of their day. Spoiled brats. It’s like a big middle finger to all their fans, to the show that gave them their start. Do you think they’d really be famous fashion designers if they hadn’t been actresses on that show to begin with? like if they were born in idk, Wisconsin or somewhere and they didn’t have famous parents, and no opportunity to act in LA? You shouldn’t forget your roots. I hope they recast the part and just move on.

18. Nicky says:

It would be awesome for one of the twins to make an appearance, the show isn’t complete without one of them. This is a show I watched growing up and seeing the whole bunch together would make alot of people happy.

19. Melissa says:

In my opinion, it’s gotten to the point where if the show’s staff wants Michelle back on screen on occasion in the future and they know that there’s no chance of either Olsen sister coming back, they need to recast the role. After all, even though Michelle was such a beloved character, she was only 8 or 9 when the original show ended. I really think that fans would accept it and it would not be considered a slap in the face to MK&A. Recasts happen more often than you realize. It’s nothing personal. I’m sure they could find some up/coming, attractive, young blond actress in her late 20’s/early 30’s who would jump at the chance to take over the role.

These shoutouts are very awkward to me and make you wonder- what on earth made Michelle seemingly turn into such a spoiled brat as an adult that she won’t even come back to see her family at holiday time? Has her head gotten that big working in fashion in NYC? Has she found a serious boyfriend whose family she likes far more than her blood family? What happened to the sweet, adorable little girl from years ago?

20. eurogirl36 says:

It’s to bad that the Olsen Twins don’t want to come back on the show as Michelle, Fuller House isn’t the same without them. I understand they are very successful with there fashion company, but the Olsen twins should at least give it a try and give the fans what they want. Do it for the fans.

21. Jennifer says:

They should come back…. I love the show full house Michelle always made people laugh. So fuller house is really good but if the Olsen twins come back it will be more funnier… but if they don’t come back I still love the fuller house no matter what… I still laugh..love both shows.

22. AC Slater says:

The way they “contact” the twins, I personally think, is mean. When Jesse called them out in season 2, it felt like he was being an asshole. I wouldn’t want anything to do with it. They’re bullying them.

23. AC Slater says:

I think that they’re bullying the twins. During the second season when Jesse called them out, I felt like he attacked them with that comment. They could try to be nice to them if they want them back so bad.

24. Aciel Zoubi says:

The Olsen twins left acting over a decade ago. And besides they don’t even need the money as they moved on to another career. Why not just recast Michelles role, I’m sure there are many actresses out there who would love to take the role.

25. Sarah says:

The girls need to get over themselves and remember this show is what gave them a name. It won’t hurt to show up and make their original fans happy. The ines that still care anyways.

26. Adam McCrensky says:

I definitely agree that Mary Kate and Ashley should continue their fashion jobs and recast Michelle!

27. Superfan says:

Hollywood is littered with celeb look-a-likes…can they just recast the role already and be done with it.

28. REBECCA K UNTALAN says:

The show feels empty without the youngest sister. Like every time I watch theres like a piece missing and the show just doesn’t feel the same anymore . I wish they’d come back , FULLER HOUSE would be 10x better !!

29. Sydney Pruitt says:

I really want to see Michelle back on fuller house and to see how she has grown it would be so so awesome and amazing she is one of my favorite people on the show, (you got it dude)!😀

30. Clau says:

Can we just stop wanting those creep twins on the show?
    If they want Michelle they should ask for the Olsen’s little sister. She looked so much like them 10/15 years ago. Don’t know about today, but I’m sure she at least looks like a human being.

31. linda says:

Just my opinion I really really think they owe it to the Fuller house show.
    That’s where they started to become famous and they can’t be to busy for family !!!

32. Amanda says:

I’m 32, and I grew up loving Full House and the Olsen twins. I loved and still have tapes of a number of their video movies, not to mention a large poster of Mary-Kate and Ashley from the late ’90s. It all brings back such fond memories. My fiance thinks I’m I bit weird, I know, but he gets it :)

It’s a little sad that neither of them has come back for Fuller House, but I totally understand why. I’m really happy for all of their success with their fashion lines and fragrances. I actually have a few dresses from their Elizabeth & James line, and they’re beautiful! Also, I recently bought an E&J handbag which is very stylish. They’re both amazing artists and very talented, and I wish them nothing the best.

33. Alicia says:

Yes!! It’s not the same without all of them. I kept watching each episode hoping they would surprise everyone and show up even for just one episode. I grew up watching the show every Friday on TGIF. Not the same without just one “you got it dude!”

34. Vivian says:

Yes, I want the Olsen twin sister in season 3

35. Rachel ford says:

I will love to see the twins back on the show. Full house was one of my favorite shows I used to watch as a kid.

36. Lisa Phillips says:

Give up and recast already!!

37. Katie Meyer says:

The should come back

38. Emily says:

It not the same without Michelle. They need the Olsen’s need to come back, even if its just an appearance on 1 episode

39. Tara says:

To be honest, the absence of Michelle does not bother me. MK and A are so strange as adults, Im not sure they would add anything to the show. I agree that it would be nice if their little sister made an appearance on their behalf, but if that isn’t happening after two seasons just recast.

40. VM says:

I love the show just bring back one of the twins for season 3. Hoping there will be a season 3!!!!

41. VM says:

I love the show!!! Please bring on a season 3

42. Llamagirl says:

Well there getting offered a dang job people shouldn’t they take it they get payed. To be fair she should come back . It isn’t the same amazing full house even though must of the same actors but we’re missing the MaryKate and Ashlee . They need to come back or the I’m going to loose it I swear.

43. Jacob Maisler says:

THE OLSEN TWIN’s OWE THEIR FANS AND CO-WORKER CAST MEMBERS! THOSE SPOILED BRATS 👯‍♂️DIDN’T DO MUCH FOR LINES OR WORK IN THE FIRST HALF OF THE SERIES. AND WHEN THEY DID THEY SPLIT THE WORK IN HALF. THE TWINS WOULD NOT HAVE THEIR EMPIRE IF NOT FOR THE FANS AND THEIR PATIENT CO-WORKERS! 😡👎🏻 SHOW SOME GRATITUDE YOU COLD 🖤 HEARTS FOR THE FREE WINNING LOTTERY TICKET $$$$

44. Alexa Girard says:

I think they should just find other actresses who look like the Olsen twins, and just ask them to play Michelle! There are plenty of women who look like them!

45. Starler says:

I love the show i wish Mary Kate and Ashley do at least one episode I always was a fan of full house come on twins and say you’re in big trouble Mr lol

46. Ramona kuhlow says:

Please Michelle come back on Fuller house

47. zafirdude says:

Even though in the interviews the Olsen twins said that they were busy with their fashion lines and have no inclination of going back to acting, I believe that the reason Michelle is not appearing in fuller house is because in the finale we seen Michelle lose her memory, and forgetting everyone in her family. However, we saw Michelle gain her memory back in the end. But, what if that was a dream in Michelle’s head. She was sleeping when her alleged memory came on screen and the show ended with a happy note. This dream sequence can also be made more strong by the fact that Steve showed up, which we haven’t seen him in many episodes prior to the finale. Which is kinda unlikely and far-fetched, like a dream. If it were Nelson, then it wouldn’t be a strong point to the whole “it was a dream” bit. And so, Michelle continue to play out a part, knowing nothing and eventually moved out. Therefore, she doesn’t have any need or urgency to visit her sister D.J. and continue on with her life.

48. A G says:

It would be good to have “Michelle” back but as we all know they live in other time zones and have independent jobs away from acting – I just think any of them want to do it. That’s it no bad feeling just neither of them would like to do it. – we all have our reasons for not doing stuff so I don’t think they are being “struck up” or to good for the show

49. Pamela Kathryn Brewster says:

Well that’s not completely true. Mary Kate had originally said yes as long as the rest of the cast could trick Ashley Olsen into doing it. Maybe add in a talent show with Tim Gunn from Project Runway that might help persuade Ashley into coming back. Since you put some talk about New York in the show. Why not just move the show to New York and film some scenes there. That way the show can be both in san Francisco CA and New York City New York.

50. Ginney justice says:

I would love to see these beautiful young ladies on the show even if it’s just for one show!!! Loved Michelle Tanner.