Donald Trump Press Meeting

Donald Trump Will Continue to Be Celebrity Apprentice EP

Donald Trump may no longer host The Celebrity Apprentice, but he’s not as fired! as he once seemed.

The president-elect will retain his executive producer credit on the NBC reality series, our sister site Variety reports. A new season of the show, which will be emceed by Arnold Schwarzenegger, will premiere on Jan. 2.

Per Variety, Trump likely receives an at least five-figure per-episode payment for the series, which MGM — which produces the show — will pay.

In June, NBC severed ties with the businessman after he denounced Mexicans as drug dealers, criminals and rapists who were infiltrating the United States while announcing his bid for president. “And some,” he added, “I assume, are good people.”

Trump had already announced his Apprentice departure; the network went on to release a statement saying, “Due to the recent derogatory statements by Donald Trump regarding immigrants, NBCUniversal is ending its business relationship with Mr. Trump.”

The upcoming Celebrity Apprentice season’s contestants include: former Dancing With the Stars co-host Brooke Burke-Charvet, singer-songwriter Boy George, American Ninja Warrior host Matt Iseman, retired pro boxer Laila Ali, H1 personality Carrie Keagan, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy‘s Carson Kressley, former WNBA MVP Lisa Leslie, SNL vet Jon Lovitz, Real Housewives Kyle Richards and Porsha Williams, mixed martial artist Chael Sonnen, retired NFL running backs Ricky Williams and Eric Dickerson, Mötley Crüe frontman Vince Neil, Jersey Shore‘s Nicole “Snooki” Polizzi and Wilson Phillips singer Carnie Wilson.

What do you think about Trump’s continued relationship with the series? Sound off in the comments!

1. MelodyAZ says:

History is not going to look kindly on this period. Its going to be interesting to see how people will react when Depression like Shanty Towns start to appear and we have to wear gas masks when pollution increases. I wonder how people will feel when they see Kent State like massacres. My late father said the USA was due for a period of chaos and upheaval. I hope people welcome their parents and grand parents to their home when medicare and social security is dismantled.

• Tom says:

I too am terrified of what’s to come

• Eric says:

Seriously moderators? I post something slightly positive about the republicans and it gets deleted. Yet some crazy leftist can say we are going to go into depression and killings everywhere and it stays?

• Leah says:

There is nothing “positive” about ignorance and bigotry. Or corruption. i.e., everything that Trump embraces.

• MelodyAZ says:

So Eric…when things end up worse four years from now and people are suffering..will you have the guts and integrity to admit you were wrong?

• Eric says:

Oh my god you people are such delicate flowers. There is other sides to an issue.

We have had eight years of an incompetent president who hates his job but loves the perks. The american people were tired of a president who appoligizes for us to other countries who hate us, and craps on the ones who likes us (israel).

Do I like President Trump? No. However I will give him a chance. Liberals need to come out of their safe spaces and get over the fact your hippy ideas need to slow down.

• Jamie says:

How was Obama incompetent? I keep hearing conservatives say this, but they never follow up with facts.

• Mary says:

That is like saying you will give the ex rapist a chance because he did his time. You know I was willing to give him a chance until he started picking his cabinet. Steve Bannon is a perfect example of the lowest form of human there is. Not to mention Session who was deemed too racist in 1986 to be judged. When he still acts like a 5 year old on twitter because someone disagrees with him. Sorry he blew it himself no more excuses or chances are left to be had. You can choose to bury your head in the sand I am not willing to do that. Ironic you claim Liberals need a safe space – look at yourselves in the mirror. Afraid of immigrants, religion other than yours and let’s not forget the LGBT. Oh but you get to keep your guns.

• Didn’t you come here to whine that moderators deleted your comment? And liberals are the “delicate flowers?” Do you need a safe space to keep crying?

• Temperance says:

Well, that’s a deeply fantastical comment.

• Ron says:

Hahaha. Thank you so much for the much-needed laugh of the day! I don’t care whether you like Trump or not. You clearly voted for him. We’re the “delicate flowers,” but the man you voted for is so thin-skinned he has to publicly attack a PRIVATE CITIZEN via twitter for criticism he received? Yeah, okay. I’m sorry, but every president in the history of this country has faced harsh criticism. While some of them might have rebutted and attacked other politicians or news organizations (though I don’t really approve of that one) or corporations, NONE of them have ever attacked a private citizen. You can’t get anymore delicate than that–it’s also extremely dangerous. As a person of color, here’s why I WON’T give him a chance: he has filled his cabinet and surrounded himself with numerous people who are white supremacists and anti-semites–people who think I’m inherently not equal to them or deserve the same rights as them. As a person who has Muslim friends and family, here’s why I WON’T give him a chance: he has repeatedly advocated for banning and/or registering Muslims just because he and his Islamophobic friends feel irrationally threatened by perfectly peaceful Muslims–American citizens and otherwise–simply because of their religion, even though banning and registering them is wholly unconstitutional. And then he has friends and surrogates who turn around and publicly say that Japanese internment camps are valid precedence for registering Muslims. Are you serious?!?! THIS, along with many more things, is why I won’t give him a chance.

• Angela says:

Oh, please, nobody’s ever had a comment deleted simply because it said something positive about Republicans. If your comment didn’t get through, it was likely due to a site glitch that many people on this site have encountered at some point. It’s happened to me, too. And I’m very much not a Republican.

• Eric says:

Yes, they do get deleted. I have been to this site many times, and if you say anything negative about “gay rights”, or Mrs Clinton’s corrupt dealings you will get deleted.

• Angela says:

Really? Go read a comment section for a show like “Duck Dynasty” and look at how many conservative-minded comments still stand on there. I’ve also seen plenty of negative comments about Clinton stay in the comment sections. Quit making things up.

• DL says:

“Corrupt dealings”? I dare you to name one corrupt thing Clinton has done that’s actually supported by legitimate facts and not conspiracy theories from Breitbart and Alex Jones’ Infowars. I read and researched a ton of the Wikileaks e-mails, and the only thing I actually learned was that Chelsea Clinton already cleaned up conflicts of interest in the Clinton Foundation years ago when she drove a wedge between her father and aide Doug Band, who was taking advantage of Bill (even monitoring his e-mails with spyware).

• Whatevah says:

Oh for pete’s sake. Stop whining.

• Whatevah says:

and why would you say something negative about “gay rights”? Rights are rights…just saying.

• It’s also pretty ridiculous that you’d come to a site CREATED BY A GAY MAN and whine that you apparently can’t make negative comments about “gay rights.” Or is it only cool with you when gay people are denied things?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Seeing nothing from your IP address in either our Trash can or snagged by our Spam filter…. Mystery! –Mgmt.

• R. says:

Apparently, people having less rights as a result of their sexual orientation is okay, but god forbid someone delete a precious little trumpanzee snowflake’s comment.

• Looks like you need a ‘safe space’ buttercup. Maybe you should try another website. No ome is forcing you to be here.

• Proof…or what you say is a lie.

• Proof, or it didn’t happen, because, oddly enough YOUR comment was not deleted, which makes me believe what you claim is a lie.

• Eric says:

Since they have blocked off the other comments, I will put it here to Matt. I didn’t say recently. This was months ago when the comment got deleted.

2. Leah says:

America, officially the stupidest nation on the planet. Congrats!

• MelodyAZ says:

People are going to seriously regret who they voted for four years from now. It will be interesting to see how many will have the guts to acknowledge their mistake. I think a few years living in an authoritarian dictatorship will make people rethink their actions. The funny thing is …I have faith this will only last 4 years.

• grazelled says:

Well maybe if all the protest non voters had voted the outcome might have been different. That’s what really made the difference in this election – 49% of eligible voters did not vote. So now about this show, the President of the USA should not be using his power in the media in any way. And I thought Obama had too many connections.

• Mary says:

Agree about the non voters or the ones who hated both parties and went with a wasted vote for the third party candidate. Hopefully it is a wake up call especially because we have an outdated election system who clearly does not speak for the majority of citizens.
          It has always irked me when people complain and yet they sit on their butts and takes no action to be involved.

• Susan says:

This is just my opinion. Forget Hillary, forget Obama, forget what Trump can do, forget what Trump cant do, the bottom line is he should never have moved 1 step further after he spewed, racist, bigotry, women, pussy grabber etc. NBC terminated their relationship with the moron, why did we reward bad behavior. The moron is an embarrasment to us and the world. Lets just hope he is gone before we get into some serious business. Trump the moron lives in Trumpland now, but hopefully all eyes will be on the lookout for this corrupt con man who is PE. God help us all. He is unfit to serve.

3. webly3 says:

Even if you are a Trump supporter (I sure as hell am not), you must agree that no president should be allowed to be executive producing a show as president (even if it’s just a title).

• Jodi says:

It’s not just a title. He’s getting PAID

• maggie says:

Yes, Trump will be paid, He’ll be paid for doing nothing. He is being given a title and the money that comes with that title, but he will not be doing any actual work on the show.

• Mary says:

Well he won’t be doing any actual work in the White House either so what are you trying to say. Okay to collect salary and not do a thing, oh that’s right he is only taking 1.00 for the Presidency but make no mistake he doesn’t need the 400,000 when he is going to be making millions with his business. If people cannot see conflict of interest then they truly are the uneducated ones.

• Coop says:

You fail to realize how many people in television credits collect a salary to “not do a thing”. It happens all. the. time. Calling others uneducated when you obviously don’t know how this stuff works is…interesting.

• Mary says:

@Coop other people are not President of the US. Other people aren’t in control of trying to push their agenda through. Other people won’t affect people’s lively hood. A President is for all Citizens not a select few. So I stand by my statement that you are uneducated if you cannot see the possible conflict of interest. Have a good day.

• Coop says:

@ Mary: One of us clearly understands how this stuff works, the other doesn’t. There’s a reason so many industry people are begrudgingly coming to Trump’s defense on this specific issue. They don’t like or support Trump personally, but understand the industry standards. What you concluded with in this line of discussion has literally nothing to do with this case. Hate Trump all you’d like, but take off the blinders once in awhile. Can’t wait for you to scold Clinton, Obama, former Presidents, etc. on them writing books just before and even during their Presidential campaigns. Royalties through the ROOF after announcing campaign and/or becoming Presidents. Oh, and just to be clear: I didn’t vote for Donald Trump.

• Gary says:

He’s getting the title and because if you go back to the very beginning, the apprentice was an idea of Mark Burnett and used Trump as the financial backing.

“Although The Apprentice, which started in the US with Trump as the star, was created solely by Mark Burnett, it’s a co-production between Burnett and Trump’s TV companies and they co-own the franchise.”

However, since Trump is leaving all his businesses to his kids, it will be his kids who will be paid. He just has his name attached to it still since he still co-owns the franchise. NBC can’t simply change the name – then you have copyright infringement… So NBA continues the show, puts Trumps name on it… The money he is paid as EP, goes to his TV company which will shortly be owned by his kids.

• Mary says:

A true blind trust is you walk away for 4 years not give it to your children unless he never plans to see them. It doesn’t matter because Trump supporters have given him a pass to screw everyone and I am just waiting for the fallout when they finally open their eyes.

• Gary says:

Mary, Trump is 70-something years old – he has millions in the bank and billions in property ventures. He is set for the rest of his short life. If he didn’t turn his companies over now, he would have done so in another 5-10 years. Whether or not Trump does 4 or 8 years, he won’t need his companies and I don’t think he will miss them.

I would just like to know how you personally are screwed?

• Mary says:

I am a firm believer in Pro Choice. I strongly support the LGBT community which none of his picks do – period. Every who claims to not be racist or bigots because they voted for Trump can prove it by denouncing some of his picks. Let’s talk about environment look at the one he chose for that. – Do I need to go on. Personally I live in a Blue State that my live won’t change much unless he puts us in a war – which I do see as a real possibility but I am not one to sit and say nothing when I see injustice in the world. Even if I have not agree with other President’s stands I have always respected them – That has changed. I do not respect a man who has demoralize and attacked people. I do not respect a sexual predator. A President should have character which he does not. It will affect me when they take away Social Security or medicare that I have contributed to for quite a few years. So you believe that if something does not effect you personally you have not right to voice an opinion? Umm interesting, maybe the GOP and men should think about that regarding women’s rights to control their own body.

• Mary says:

^ one more thing anything that effect America, which I am a Citizen effects me. That does answer your question?

4. webly3 says:

• Ben says:

Why?

I, for instance, would have no problem with Trump doing a weekly podcast about his policies – I wouldn’t have had a problem with Obama doing that either. Sometimes, I think it would be a good way to express policy to the masses without a media filter. Would this be bad?

I get the concern about bias, propoganda, a takeover of the media and a restriction of freedom of speech – but I hardly think that EPing the celebrity apprentice is bothersome in respect of any of these.

• Ben says:

Also noting, for the record, that I am not a Trump supporter, so this is not me being an apologist.

• Adam says:

I’m in absolutely no way a support of our new overlord, but I don’t think that it is unacceptable for the president to be receiving producer credit and payment for a TV series that has already been on air and continues to do so in their term. However, I am extremely disappointed by NBC’s decision to accept this agreement after having rightfully distanced themselves earlier.

• Coop says:

If NBC wanted to continue the television show, they didn’t have a choice. Even if cancelled, Trump still would have gotten a percentage of the profits from reruns and other merchandise sales in the future. I’m sure Ronald Reagan got a nice check from his acting credits during his Presidency too.

• Portia says:

Every president since FDR has done a weekly address about his policies. It started on the radio. Today there is a podcast. You can subscribe to it on iTunes. It’s also available on whitehouse.gov. The difference of course is that this is not a commercial venture that the President Obama gets paid for (outside of his regular salary). It’s concerning that the President of the United States will receive a salary from a media company (and thus, will technically have an employer/employee relationship) that will be effected by the policies of that the President will be charged with making decisions on. That is called a conflict of interest.

5. Phil says:

This is not news – this is industry standard. It’s why the director of the pilot is always credited, or the casting director of the pilot is always credited, or after a producer of a certain level departs, they are still credited. Nothing news-y here.

• Greg says:

Uhhh no. He got fired from the show for his behaviour last year, and now they are giving him a vanity title and paying him probably to stay on his good side. Its disgusting.

• Coop says:

Uhhh actually, yes. They aren’t giving him anything. They’re just doing what was presumably in the original contract. Like Phil said, this sort of thing happens all the time when creators and such either leave their projects willingly or are forced out, yet still retain their credits in the show.

• Gary says:

He wasn’t fired… He had already quit due to running for office. All NBC said is that he wouldn’t be allowed back – So should his bid have failed for the white house and he wanted to come back next season, NBC wouldn’t have “re-hired” him….

• maggie says:

Trump didn’t create the show, and he was only given the Executive Producer credit as a courtesy. He was a hired hand, just like Lord Sugar is the person who says “you’re fired” in the UK version of the show, and the hosts of all the other international versions of this show. Trump’s contract was up and was not renewed. That they have now given him an Executive Producer credit on a new version of the show that he had nothing to do with, has more to do with kissing up to the new President. Had Trump lost, he most likely would not be getting the Executive Producer credit.

• Gary says:

Again, Trump co-owns the show – he initially put up the financial backing for the show. As long as NBC continues airing the show – or any show like it due to copyright laws, they will have to attach his name to it. In fact if you look at IMDB – Trump has been listed as EP since 2008.

6. Ryan says:

What’s retaining the title mean? Will he just get checks for his past work, or will he be working on the show? I assumed being President was a full-time job….

• Mary says:

Usually is but not when you elect a clueless wonder, so in reality Pence and his team will be running the White House.

• Gary says:

He won’t get checks – He has turned over all his business to his kids – They will get the checks. As for his Presidential checks – Trump has volunteered to forego his $400,000 salary and accept just $1. (Cuz he has to be paid something)

• Mary says:

No but we will be paying millions because his wife doesn’t want to move to the White House which is part of requirements if you are elected. So he should take salary and pay for the protection himself.

7. J.Norman says:

I think its kind of funny.
    All the bitter, loser liberals jump all over Trump, but they say nothing about NBC’s willingness to continue on with the show. . .despite its fired host being a executive producer.

I think Trump is staying on – in title only – to force NBC to cancel the show.

But it will remain to be seen if NBC – who thinks they will make money off it – will actually cancel it or give lots of lip service to its “firing” of Trump and carry the show anyway.

And by the way, for those of you who don’t know, An Executive Producer is not involved in day to day or week to week operations. They have a contract and receive monies (if accepted) at the conclusion of the season.

• Coop says:

Trump will do as much work going forward on The Apprentice as Jeffrey Lieber did on the entire series Lost. Both profited handsomely and will continue to do so based on nothing more than a title. If only I could be that lucky. :)

• maggie says:

Trump didn’t create the show, and was given the “Executive Producer” credit as a courtesy. The Apprentice is a show that has many versions throughout the world. Lord Sugar is the person who tells people “You’re fired” in the British version. Trump’s contract with the show expired and wasn’t renewed. The actual producers of the show can continue the show with any host they want as long as a network is willing to air it. Even NBC aired a season with Martha Stewart as the host years ago.

Seeing that Trump had nothing to do with creating the show. financing the show, staffing the show, or anything that normally rates an “Executive Producer” credit, giving him that credit on the new version of the show is simply a way to suck up to the next President.

• Coop says:

Actually, it’s a way to live up to the contract. Some of you clearly have no idea how this works in the industry. I’d like to point everyone in the direction of David Simon’s (not a Trump fan) twitter for coverage of this topic. You mentioned the Martha Stewart version…you mean the one Donald Trump was credited with co-creating?

Oh, and did any of you freak out when President Obama got HUGE sums of money for book royalties after he became President? You can’t punish Presidents financially for contracts and work conducted pre-Presidency.

• Mary says:

Seriously, you are comparing a previous book deal to a national TV media. One has serious implications of conflicts and if you can’t comprehend that. Who is punishing Trump we are just pointing out the obvious and if Trump was truly serious about being a President instead of just having the title then he would gladly give up the title of EP.

• Coop says:

There is no conflict of interest. Go investigate for yourself on how the entertainment industry works. Trump isn’t having a role in the show going forward, he’s simply getting money owed to him based on the initial (read: previous) contract. As said previously, NBC isn’t paying him either. The idea that he should give up money owed to him under said contract for past, present and future episodes is ludicrous. You can’t ignore the fact that Presidents have lives and contracts before their Presidency. It would be different if contracts were negotiated post-election, but that’s not the case.

• Mary says:

So KellyAnne his trusted puppet advisor was lying when she said he would do this in his spare time. Doesn’t sound like just collecting a paycheck to me. Yes I do expect the President refrain from anything that would be a conflict, silly me to think honor and character was part of the the requirements, but obviously is isn’t to many others.

• Coop says:

@ Mary: No, she has literally no idea what it entails and was answering off the cuff questions without talking to Trump about it. He has NO INVOLVEMENT in the actual show going forward. You’re making a mountain out of a molehill, just as many industry sources are saying. Plenty of other things Trump has and will do to be vocal about, but this isn’t one of them. Makes you look foolish.

• Mary says:

@Coop, whatever. Where is the actually proof of which you claim.

8. meg says:

Cancel the show NBC. Simple. Boycotting NBC outright needs to happen if they go ahead with it.

9. Geo says:

This is a massive conflict of interest. If NBC is going to be this blatantly corrupt, then some of its genuinely ethical and patriotic stars on other shows need to threaten walkouts. The precedent of a major television network paying the president of the United States during his presidency is just way, way off the charts when it comes to ethics. And that would have been true had the election gone the other way and Hillary had somehow been named some sort of producer on an NBC show. If NBC does this, they absolutely stink of corruption and really should be shunned.

10. Georgia Madman says:

Snowflakes as far as the eye can see…

11. Ray says:

Didn’t think it was possible, but every day I grow more and more disgusted with the man.

12. N!loofar says:

Of Course he will Continue😔

13. Polly says:

Make Conflict of Interests Great Again #MCoIGA

14. Mary says:

Why not he has demonstrated that this is nothing more than a bad reality show so why pretend otherwise. Anyone with half of brain could see that he really didn’t take being President seriously. It is nothing more than a ego trip for him. It is obvious that clueless wonder just wanted the title. If he really was serious he would be concentrating on getting educated instead of picking twitter fights and take a victory lap around. Well all the fools who voted for him all I can say you reap what you sow. They are in for a crude awaken.

• AnnieM says:

Actually, Mary, I think it’s the GOP that is *now* reaping what it has sown all these years by courting such a naive and/or bigoted group of Americans to vote for them. A candidate comes along who actually says *out loud* what their rhetoric has been tacitly implying for years, and they had the nerve to act shocked when Trump won the nomination. Now they’re all sucking up to the clueless toddler-man. It would be hilarious if his being President wasn’t so scary.

• Mary says:

Scary isn’t the half of it. I truly believe the bigot Pence is the one making a majority of these picks. If any of those GOP want respectability they better denounce of few of those picks. People thought this Country was divided before believe me it just tripled in size.

15. Whatevah says:

I look at his face and anger wells up in me. I am a democrat and I have never been worried when there was a republican president. This guy has me seriously worried.

16. Alec says:

Not watching.

17. A fan of TV says:

Of course he will. If there one thing Donald won’t do, it’s give up his money. That’s what the middle class is for, they’ll cover the tax incentives he’ll hand out to companies who want to leave the US, so less than half of companies’ jobs get saved, and he’ll cut tax rates even further for himself and his Goldman Sachs buddies!

This is just another day in Trump’s America, which is just another way of saying he’s only interested in the parts of the country, and the job, that will make him money, not make the country a better, safer place.

18. BillyBobJohnson says:

His press flak says that the new president will do his Celebrity Apprentice thing during his down time. I think someone needs to remind The Donald that the President of the United States never has down time.

19. Temperance says:

A President has no spare time. That’s why he’s #NotMyPresident. Ever.

20. Snazzy says:

Presidential conflict of interest?? Who cares – no one does in America.

21. Stephen says:

Dumpf should not be able to be any part of the show. They released him he should stay gone. After all he has been FIRED! Remember?

22. Leonard Wass says:

The new Celebrity Apprentice Intro is really good. It shows Arnold’s story, how he overcame so much to create success.

23. Susan says:

He was supposed to divest other interests other than being President. What is the deal? Does this mean the moron can get paid a 5 figure check. So maybe he gets sworn is as President then immediately gets impeached. He is a con artist and a moron.