Criminal Minds: The Team Is Surprised by Its Newest Member — WATCH

Criminal Minds‘ BAU team got a bit of a surprise upon returning to HQ at the close of this Wednesday’s midseason finale.

No, no, Mr. Scratch wasn’t laying in wait on their home turf. Rather, the new hire whom some of them had speculated about during the episode was just checking out his new digs (and apparently looking for paper clips), as seen in the video clip above.

Thus marked the introduction of the latest change-up to the team, Behavioral Analysis Program recruit Stephen Walker, played by new series regular Damon Gupton (Bates Motel). His casting comes on the heels of, in order, 1) Adam Rodriguez joining the cast as Luke Alvez, 2) Aisha Tyler being promoted to series regular, 3) original cast member Thomas Gibson being fired after an on-set altercation with a producer and 4) Paget Brewster being upgraded from returning Season 12 guest star to, as she once was, a series regular.

Gupton’s character not only came recommended by new BAU chief Prentiss, but also seems to know Rossi, while the rest of the team welcomed the friendly face with open arms. (But sorry, Alvez, Garcia isn’t letting you shake your “newbie” label.)

What do you think of Criminal Minds‘ locked-and-loaded, eight-strong (with Reid included) BAU team? Is this the octet that will declaw Scratch?

1. Angela says:

Interesting they waited until the end of the episode to introduce him. Probably a wise move, though, given everything else happening in the episode. Hoping he’ll make a good fit.
    And speaking of that “everything else”, agh, poor Reid :(. Really nervous about how this storyline with his mom will play out, especially if Mr. Scratch is still in the picture and targets her and Reid somehow. Fingers crossed for a good outcome with that.

• Jane R says:

Ha! Numbers are in – 1.3 ties a series low from a few weeks ago. Curious how bad it will get (kind of ugly now). By the way, glad you kept it short this time – no one wants to read an essay.

2. Kind of odd to find the new guy checking out his new digs. And with Reid away, the new guy hasn’t even met him yet. So we’ll see another introduction later on. We’ll see how this works out in the next episodes.

3. Cas says:

Why does this team need another member again? My guess is CBS didn’t want more females than males on the show.

• KatsMom says:

My guess? This guy’s there to pick up the slack when some of the series regulars want an episode or two off here or there. Gubler was clearly written off for a couple episodes with his trip to Texas to see his mother. Paget Brewster’s got a bunch of other projects she’s been juggling since she left CM, so I suspect she needs/wants some flexibility as well. So, they bring in a new character with lots of off screen experience who can pick up some slack when the old timers need a vacation from the 15-16 hour days of an hour long drama.

4. Cat says:

My question is why does Garcia welcome this new guy with open arms why still being incredibly rude to Alvez???? Getting REAL tired of her attitude since Derek left!

• I think it has to do with the fact that Garcia had a very closer relationship with Morgan, & Alvez was his replacement. I imagine there was some kind of resentment there. Garcia was also frosty when Alex (can’t remember her last name) joined the BAU right after Prentiss left for Interpol & London. And as much as I think Garcia loves Hotch, he’ll always be the boss. Their relationship was never that of good, close friends, the way it is with the other agents.

5. Samson says:

No matter who you get nothing beats Hotchner. Get him back then I’ll continue watching.

6. Delores GOEMAN says:

when Hotch got fired I stopped watching criminal minds. got fired over a little kick. the writer needs to man up and put his pacifier away. the rating are down ,get rid of the writer and bring back Hotch,he’s what makes the show

• Show ratings are down, but not enough for CBS to worry about it. It’s still above the replacement show value and there are other CBS shows that are doing worse that needs their attention so CM will probably survive. I can’t find the site that gave me nightly numbers, but the were only behind Empire for the night.
      Of course, Hairspray was the most watched show last night, but even Empire beat them so this time of the year the ratings are hit and miss due to pre-emptions for Xmas specials.

7. Bored Tony says:

Show is boring. Members don’t have team feel. Writing is confusing, even after 2nd viewing. Was big fan. Favorite show. With Gideon, Hotchner and Morgan gone, time to surf.

8. Andea Spitzer says:

I wish shamar Moore wud come bak

9. layla davis says:

No hotch or morgan..they might as well cancel criminal minds..I stop watching the show since hotch left..the new team is really boring.. bring hotch back..he makes the show

10. Leeanna says:

I don’t watch anymore without Hotch.

11. sara says:

bring tom gibson back

12. Carolyn says:

I am a fan of Criminal Minds, so I am excited about the new team. Even with all the changes it is still the best show on TV!

13. Irina Thomas Gibson fan says:

I would like Thomas Gibson to be back.. and Shemar. Those 2 strong characters were so valuable. I am not willing to watch without Aaron Hotchner being back.

14. James wargel says:

The show got really bad after hotch left. When they revealed the new guy at the end of last episode i said “thats it, I’m out. That was the last straw.

15. While I hope the cases would get the level of details from the first couple of seasons, I’m still enjoying the show. I’m curious what this new team member will be like.

16. karen says:

I love Criminal Minds! I hate that Thomas Gibson is no longer on it! I wish they’d get him back. I love Prentiss also, but just not the same without Hotch!