Pitch Finale Season 1 Spoilers

Pitch's Kylie Bunbury: Ginny's New Man Will 'Cause Some Conflict' in Finale

Chances are, if you’re a Pitch fan who saw the Fox series’ most recent promo, one scene in particular hit you like a screwball to the chest: “Ginny and Mike coming close to a smooch,” series star Kylie Bunbury says, laughing.

And in advance of the final two episodes of the baseball drama’s rookie season, we figured we’d check in with Bunbury about how Ginny will deal with that near-kiss, as well as her shady brother’s increasing drama, the possibility that Mike will waive his no-trade clause and the addition of a potential love interest for Major League Baseball’s first female pitcher. Read on to see what she had to say.

TVLINE | Going into these last two episodes, Will is in Ginny’s orbit and is causing a little bit of trouble. Talk to me about him and Evelyn going into business together and what Ginny thinks about that.
Ginny and Will have a very strong connection, being brother and sister. But Will’s gotten into some bad business. And Ginny is made aware of it in the last episode, but it all comes to fruition in these last two episodes. You’re really gonna see the struggle for Ginny because I know, for myself with my brothers, I back them up 100 percent, no matter what. So in front of someone, just like that scene where Will didn’t really tell me about the bar and grill, but Ginny says, “Oh yeah, I know what you’re talking about” and then pulled him aside, she’s always taking care of her brother first, even if he’s messing up.

She finally reaches a point where she has to confront him and make a really difficult decision based on what his motives really are. It’s a really emotional scene, sort of this rollercoaster of emotions that they go through these last couple of episodes. It’s really relatable, because it’s family, and you just want to love them. But having to put a family member in place, it’s very difficult.

Pitch Finale Season 1 SpoilersTVLINE | In photos from the final two eps, it looks like Ginny is getting motion-captured for a video game.
She’s definitely getting motion-captured. And that’s where she meets a fellow. So we’re getting to see Ginny sort of have a love interest. It’s exciting. It’s obviously gonna cause some conflict [Laughs]… His name is Noah [played by One Tree Hill‘s Tyler Hilton], and he’s a billionaire and the owner of this motion-capture company.

TVLINE | Since you brought up Mike and Ginny… what occurred to me during the last episode is that Mike is in a low place right now — career winding down, still in love with his ex, his Plan B not working out — and he’s probably just looking for a soft place to land.

TVLINE | It almost read to me more like Ginny might be a comfort, rather than a romantic interest, for him right now. What can you tell me about their evolving closeness as we head into the finale?
I think you hit the nail on the head in terms of the comfort aspect. From the beginning of the show, Mike is calling Ginny late at night. He does find comfort in her. They understand each other. They have a really close connection. And their dynamic, it’s the dynamic of a pitcher and a catcher: They just happen to be opposite sexes. He needs someone like Ginny right now, because he’s not finding it in his ex-wife, because she’s engaged, and that’s messy.

I think that he really has a lot of love for Ginny, as a teammate, as a friend. It doesn’t really feel like he can talk to Blip about it, what he’s going through. Or any male. I think that he does need the comfort of a woman. That’s the other interesting thing about the show: She wants to be one of the guys, but we as women have that innate nuturing quality, and he sort of taps into that.

TVLINE | On the flip side, he’s also been a comfort for her on the team — and as we come into the end of the season, he’s considering waiving his no-trade clause. How does Ginny react when she hears about that?
She’s really sad. That’s really it. Here’s a person that she completely respects. They just found a really nice place. They’re in sync on the field and also in their personal lives together as friends. To hear that he could potentially be leaving is really traumatizing for her, because this is someone she really cares about deeply but also considers her go-to person for things.

Pitch airs tonight at 9/8c on Fox.

1. MMD says:

I really wish this show could get more love from viewers because I really enjoy it but I have never been a Fox viewer and if this show is cancelled, I will never be again as I gave it a shot.

• darkangel200 says:

Absolutely. Fox has a rep for not giving their shows a chance to grow and catch on, so hoping it gives Pitch time to get a stronger fanbase. I really enjoy the show and the characters, especially the dynamic of Ginny and Mike.

2. Liz says:

I don’t understand how more people aren’t watching this show. It is so well done. The characters are interesting. The storylines weave with each other seamlessly. The entire cast has great chemistry. Hoping that since it’s a shorter season Fox will give it a renewal. Maybe even airing it in the summer since that’s baseball season.

• Rusty says:

I can answer you in one word – football., Fox designated Pitch it’s sacrifical lamb by scheduling it opposite the NFL. From 8:30 PM on, nothing out rates the NFL.

3. cjcampbell08 says:

I really love this show and hope it comes back next season!!

• Jim says:

It’s cancelled, at least on Fox. Another network or streaming platform might be a better home for it. Not quite sure it has enough buzz to find another home, plus the show’s deal with the Padres to use their facilities might not be cheap. I’d give it 30-40% odds of survival.

4. bluegrassboy75 says:

As a sports nut, I really like this show. I love how they work in doing endorsement deals and life on the road. Now that the characters have been established, I hope they drop to less and less flashbacks.

5. Katherine215 says:

Love this show so much and am so disappointed more people didn’t watch. I love Mike and Ginny together but think it’s too early in the show for them to get together. She’s got too much hero worship for him and he’s too screwed up for them to be together right now, but I do hope it’s in the cards for them. Assuming the show is renewed, of course…

6. Jason says:

The mike and ginny romance thing is gross. They’re better off older brother and sister type of relationship

• Me says:

It’s not “gross” but it would be completely wrong for this show. Theirs is a mentor/mentee, older brother/younger sister type of thing, and it should stay that way. Making Ginny become involved with ANY of her teammates would do a great disservice to the character, and to the very premise of the show–that a woman can seamlessly integrate into the “boys club” of a professional sports team.

7. J says:

This is probably my favorite new show this year. The characters are so believable and even though it is around Baseball, it’s like Friday Night Lights in the sense that the focus is really on the people. I am not a huge Baseball fan but still love this show. It is perfectly paced, has plenty of drama without feeling overblown, and I especially love the humor that comes from the characters and feels so effortless. I laugh more watching the way they tease each other then I do watching most shows that claim to be comedies. I really hope this show gets a second season somehow.

8. Mimi says:

I really hope this show is renewed. I love it!!!

9. Caren says:

This show is excellent. Great cast, plot and storyline. Plus, as a non sports fan, I suddenly find myself googling all kinds of facts about the game, while also considering going to a game. In addition, it is great to see a show with so many powerful female role models which is rare. Pitch is enormously entertaining and perhaps if it was moved to another night it would gain a larger audience, considering the huge competition on Thursday nights. I really hope it isn’t cancelled, but given a chance for growth.

10. Superfan says:

I love this show…I hope by some miracle it’s renewed.

11. Chris says:

So in love with this show and so interested in seeing where it goes. I really hope it gets another seasons because it’s got a lot of what I’ve been looking for in a new show: great writing, great actors, a diverse cast, and an interesting premise. And it looks like these last to episodes are really going to shake things up for everyone.

12. I really do love this show. Great story line and its turned me into a baseball fan. I hope they get a second season to really explore Mike and Ginny’s relationship it has the makings of becoming something pretty great.

13. delorb says:

The only reason I didn’t watch is because of Fox. I saw how they sidelined Abbie Mills on Sleepy Hollow and I figured they’d do the same here. And before anyone says, ‘well, she’s the star’, well Nicole Beharie was also the star of her show. She was a fellow witness and that was not enough to save her character from being pushed to the side. It’s what Fox does. IMO.

• Me says:

Oh my GOD. Everything is not about Sleepy Hollow and Nicole Beharie. You guys are insufferable.

• delorb says:

LOL. No one FORCED you to respond. You could have just skipped over my post. But then, ‘what is it with you guys and your obsession with the Sleepy fans? Not a comment goes by that you don’t reply to’ LMAO!

But since you didn’t get it. There are a lot of former Sleepy Hollow fans who said they would NEVER watch another show on Fox. Even if there is a black female lead. Fool me once and all that. So…perhaps that’s why the ratings are in the tank? I know I’ve not tuned into Fox since the finale. So NOW do you understand how Sleepy Hollow dovetails into this show? Good. Now sit down.

14. Mandy says:

I really hope this show gets renewed

15. jj. says:

i really hope this show gets renewed but it must be expensive to produce and I don’t know if the ratings are high enough