TODAY -- Season: 2012 -- Pictured: Matt Lauer -- (Photo by: Andrew Eccles/NBC)

Matt Lauer Staying Put at Today Show

“Where in the world is Matt Lauer?” Well, for the foreseeable future, he’ll be staying put at NBC.

The network has renewed the veteran Today show anchor’s contract for an additional two years, guaranteeing his on-air presence through at least 2018.

Lauer has seen his fair share of criticism over the last half-decade. He first took a beating for the controversy surrounding Ann Curry’s highly publicized exit in 2012. He was also put on blast earlier this year for his performance as moderator of NBC’s Commander-in-Chief forum, where he was seen to be tougher on then presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton than her opponent, now-President-elect Donald Trump.

By re-upping Lauer, Today avoids another high-profile exit. In October, the show parted ways with 9 am co-anchor Billy Bush for his role in the now infamous Donald Trump tape scandal.

According to The New York Post, Lauer’s new deal is reportedly worth $20 million per year. In 2017, he’ll celebrate his 20th anniversary on the morning news program, setting a record for longest-serving co-anchor.

Are you happy to see Lauer stay put at Today? More of a GMA viewer? Sound off below.

• Belle says:

Exactly!!! This guy just won’t go away, I will not watch anything he does!! Why do they continue to keep this arrogant, self-centered sycophant of a man on the air??? He is the reason so many people don’t tune into Today :(

• H says:

Bring back Billy Bush! He’s friends with the president after all.

1. DmCo says:

What an unfortunate choice NBC has made. I stopped watching The Today because of Matt Lauer. I watch CBS This Morning show. It is so refreshing with Charlie, Norah and Gayle.

• Angie says:

Same here – I moved over to Good morning America because I can’t stand Matt lauer. He comes off as so smug and self righteous and I can’t stand it.

2. QueenB says:

😍😍❤

3. Collette says:

Sorry to know that. He’s the reason I don’t watch the hours of Today that include him.

4. Howard Belcher says:

I stopped watching the Today Show because of him

5. Matt Lauer is not a news man anymore, they are all about pop crap and other things to entertain stay at home Moms. The show is left leaning when they do discuss something worth hearing. Someone must enjoy him for $20 million plus a helicopter ride to and from home is an incredible deal.

6. Ginger says:

I stopped watching the show because of him. I watch Channel 4 now.

• c-mo says:

I’m going to assume our channel 4’s are different because if you watched the same one I have, you’d be plenty bored. 😀

7. Mary says:

I also stopped watching because of him.

8. Sandy Lanier says:

I stopped watching NBC because of Matt Lauer, I watch CBS, much better newscast…

9. Paul Marte says:

If you’re not watching Charlie, Norah, and Gayle on CBS in the morning, you might as well leave your TV off.

10. CONNIE DORE says:

It’s sad news, I was hoping he would be thrown under the bus as he did Ann Curry

11. Ted Ricciardelli says:

Sad waste of money , nothing but an arrogant overpaid bozo . Bring Anne Curry back , or anybody else . If not for Roker I would be on CNN all the time …see ya ..

12. Marie Pescatore says:

It is a shame that NBC is putting their money behind Lauer- he is a bully who needs to be cut loose. I will no longer watch NBC because of him either. After what he did to Ann Curry, he should have been let loose. He is just a bad bully!!

13. Yoko says:

He used to be charming then he became arrogant. Don’t watch Today show, love GMA. Not going to get me to come back to Today show unless they bring in more appealing hosts.

14. Chaya says:

Glad to see by the responses, that I’m not the only one who dislikes him because of Ann Curry. They have some really good prospects already on staff like Willy Geist – why keep that nasty, egotistical man? Calling the Today show “news” is a bad joke. It’s a 4 hour promo for all the other NBC/Universal properties.

15. MMD says:

Don’t watch any of the network morning shows but stay a mile away from anything that Matt Lauer is on. I guess arrogance pays well – $20M well.
    If I want news I watch CBCNN, CNN, BBC or go on their websites.

16. Joey says:

The only job he should have now are guest starring roles on tv playing a fictionalized version of himself.

17. D.B. says:

you messed up , big time, when you replaced Natalie with Tamron

• SA says:

Thank you! I totally agree with you. I miss Natalie and Willie. Tamron and Matt are so much alike. I do not watch the early segments of the Today show because of Matt, but I can’t imagine Matt and Tamron being on at the same time because of their egos clashing!

18. swray says:

I stopped watching Today 4 years ago. Not a fan of Matt and my husband despises him and when they fired Ann Curry….that was the straw. It’s not a real news show either. We switched to the CBS morning show years ago and love it. Charlie, Gayle and Norah report on the “NEWS” – no silly fluff stories and gags. Don’t think you’d ever see Charlie Rose dressed up like a woman on morning TV. Too bad NBC doesn’t read the comments. I’d rather see Ann Curry back hosting the show.

19. maregolden says:

I am so glad, and I hope it’s a contract he can’t get out of. His name was mentioned as a possible replacement for Alex Trebek when he retires from Jeopardy. I love Jeopardy, and don’t want Lauer hosting it. I’m happy he is on a show that I don’t watch.

20. Aeol says:

Well, no reason to rethink my four year (and counting) boycott of the Today Show.

21. FannievDixon says:

I think it time for a change in anchor man,I use to watch Today but I switch over to GMA.

22. Michael Cox says:

Way to go NBC! You just made GMA #1 thru 2018. Get rid of Lauer and gain some viewers back. He could not interview his way out of a wet paper bag. Being back Natalie Morales!!

23. Bob Kagler says:

Glad to see Matt re-up!

24. Ethel says:

I stopped watching because of Savannah Guthrie

25. Connie Lea Gutting says:

No I think his time is done..what he did to Anne was horrible. I used to be a big fan of the Today show all my life..growing up on it..but all they do is act childish and laugh….egos are
    out there…Willie Giest is the only one and Carson Daly …the others need to take a good long look at how they act…..it is truly disgusting. I used to love them all now I can’t stand love Dylan…but the rest are too full of themselves….

26. Ralph says:

I stopped watching the today show after what NBC and this Post did to Ann Curry. He is arrogant and talentless.