The Odd Couple Cancelled CBS

The Odd Couple Not Getting More Season 3 Episodes From CBS

The Odd Couple just got hit with an eviction warning.

CBS won’t be ordering more episodes of the sitcom reboot’s current Season 3, our sister site Deadline is reporting. The season will run for 13 episodes, the same length as the previous two seasons. It’s not officially cancelled, but ratings for the remaining five episodes will have to improve — by a lot — to justify a fourth season.

The Odd Couple stars Matthew Perry and Thomas Lennon as the latest incarnation of classically mismatched roommates Oscar Madison and Felix Unger. Neil Simon’s original Tony-winning play inspired a 1968 film as well as the beloved 1970s ABC series starring Jack Klugman and Tony Randall; there was also a 1982-83 ABC series called The New Odd Couple, which co-starred the recently departed Ron Glass as Felix.

CBS’s current Odd Couple reboot airs Mondays at 9:30/8:30c, after 2 Broke Girls.

Should The Odd Couple return for a fourth season? Or is it time for something new? Speak up in the comments.

1. Chris Norris says:

Shame. Lennon is tremendous on that show.

2. A. D. says:

Move it back to Thursday…Funny show unlike The Great Indoors and 2 Broke Girls

3. iHeart says:

well this is a shame to hear, Perry finally lands a series that lasts more than one season and this happens

4. I really wanted to like this, and Thomas Lennon is actually quite good, but Perry is totally miscast and the unbearable laugh track makes it unwatchable for me.

• RJ says:

To all of you who say that Matthew Perry is miscast as Oscar Madison: If you’ve actually taken the time to read any of the background behind the show’s production, Perry’s always been a big fan of the Odd Couple, particularly the 1968 film version. He had always wanted to do a remake of the show for many years. He’s also said in interviews that in real life, he’s a lot like Oscar, as opposed to Felix, whom was in some ways similar to the famous role of Chandler whom he played on Friends. So he was always going to be cast as Oscar no matter what. And not surprisingly, he’s one of the executive producers on the show. The Odd Couple reboot has been his idea and his show ALL ALONG. If you think he’s miscast, then that means he should never have had the idea to do a reboot in the first place. Personally, I think he does a great job on the show. It could just be that I’m a big Matthew Perry fan myself, but the natural wit, snarkiness, and sarcasm he brings to the Oscar Madison character really makes the show go. And most importantly, he has tremendous chemistry with Thomas Lennon. The supporting cast sometimes leaves a little to be desired, but overall it’s a really solid show. You can’t always expect a reboot to be quite the same as the original shows, as they shouldn’t be. Nor can you expect an actor like Perry to play the same kind of familiar character (like Chandler in Friends) in every single show.

• I like Perry, and most people know that this reboot/show was his concept; however, I don’t like him as Oscar, even if it is closer to his own personality — that’s not the point! He’s just not that believable as the character…

5. GuessWhat says:

I am shocked it lasted this long. Awful reboot.

6. Kevin says:

There’s a reason CBS is making sitcoms bad again.

7. Scott says:

I bet they wish Mike & Molly was waiting in the wings again this year.

8. msstargate says:

I love Matthew Perry but I really don’t think this is the show for him. I hate just about everything about his character. His last show was good and I was really disappointed when it was cancelled but after the first couple of episodes I checked out. Caught it last night and was hoping it had improved….NOPE!

9. jeff kantor says:

Send “The Odd Couple” packing!

10. kat0711 says:

Crap I just discovered it and really enjoy the show

11. Tina says:

I love the Odd Couple! Don’t take it off the air, please. We need more funny on tv.

12. dan says:

I was surprised when it was renewed for a second season. Then I was shocked when it was renewed for a third season. Now? Not so surprised. Matthew Perry is the worst part of the show. Thomas Lennon is decent as Felix, but the supporting cast makes the show somewhat watchable (but they could have used sharper writing). I’ll miss seeing Lindsay Sloane on tv each week, hope she gets cast in something else soon!

13. CJKatl says:

This is not meant as snark, but seriously, I didn’t even realize the show had been renewed for season two, let alone season three. The two eps I watched in season one made me assume it had been canned early on.

14. Lydia says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE this show it’s actually better than 2 broke girls and has a diverse cast keep it on or there’s nothing worth watching CBS

15. Robin ODea says:

Odd Couple is the funniest show on air. CBS should reconsider because the characters fit well together. With all the dramas this one is a cheerful end to long days

16. MMD says:

I tried so very hard to like this because I enjoyed the movie and the original tv version with Tony Randall and Jack Klugman but I just couldn’t get there. Thomas Lennon was ok as Felix but Matthew Perry as Oscar was so miscast imo plus the writing was not good at all.

17. its time for Perry to go away.

18. Leo August says:

Shocked it even got this far!

19. Laurie p says:

Yes they need to bring the odd couple back! Tired of them canceling funny shows and keeping crap like the bachelor, etc…..

20. dman6015 says:

Tom Lennon is fantastic as Felix. It’s Matthew Perry. Every time he talks, it sounds like he has loose dentures. But, you can’t fire “The Star”.

21. Hope hamel says:

The Odd Couple is one of the funniest shows on TV. We love it.

22. Terrance Smith says:

The new odd couple / 2 broke girls are awful…With all the fresh ideas out there we get this? Somebody needs to be fired.

23. wlangfellow says:

Network television has no compass. The endless reality shows and continual revolving door of sitcoms reiterate this point on a daily basis. Odd Couple is a decent remake and literally is the only prime-time network show I make a point of watching each week. Back to ESPN and CNN and I guess once this disappears. Love Lennon’s Felix…Tony Randall would be proud.

24. Kreth Drea says:

I liked the show, but it kept starting and stopping and moving days so, I lost watching it.

• mrs says:

I guess not considering the points made here, I am incredibly partial to the original tv show-loved it!
      but there IS a lot of garbage on tv,
      and I have not watched this new one, I am sure it isn’t perfect but you all have a point, it has to be better than the bachelor – which I have never seen either :)

25. Arlene Gibbs says:

BRING IT BACK!! CANCEL 2 Broke Girls

26. Doug says:

Keep the odd couple. Funny show! Don’t believe ratings.

27. E Barone says:

The Odd Couple is a good show, the writing is very funny and the actors all complement each other. If you move them back to Thursday you will a great evening of comedy. The Great Outdoors is a mess and the new Kevin Can Wait is not very good.

28. John says:

One of my favorite shows, the cast, the writing, everything. I hope that CBS reconsiders or that another network picks the show up. Sad news.

29. sherry says:

i sure hope they change their mind and dont cancel it there is not alot of good comedy shows on to much reality not enough half hour comedy series great actors for it

30. steph says:

Well, maybe it would get better ratings if the schedule wasn’t so weird. It seems like Odd Couple airs new episodes mostly on days when all the other shows before it are repeats – a lot of viewers will turn on one of the previous shows, see that it’s a repeat and assume that all the shows on this night will be. Of course that doesn’t matter that much for fans who actually follow the show and/or DVR it, but it certainly hurts with casual viewers that just tune in for the comedy block…

31. Love Matthew Perry. I think he played the role really well. I have watched every episode from the beginning i really hate to see this show go.

32. The Odd Couple that great show it should not be cancelled and Matthew Perry just awesome

33. Peter says:

Please don’t cancel the odd couple. It is really a great show. The chemistry between the two has really improved immensely. There are other shows that need cancelling but not this one

34. Mo Jo says:

This show is awesome. Both Perry and Lennon play their parts perfectly. A modern retro take on a classic! Please come back for a 4th season!!

35. Mary Kantzavelos says:

Loved this version of the Odd Couple! Matthew Perry & Thimas Lennon are wonderful together. Come on CBS-comedy is your forte. Give this show a chance. I’ve been a faithful viewer from episode 1 & will continue if you let it continue.

36. Kristyn Smith says:

In my opinion the Terry Hatcher/Son characters changed the whole show. The episodes with either were never as good. Sad to see the show go.

37. Cynthia Perez says:

Don’t cancel, LOVE LOVE The Odd Couples

38. Tim treakle says:

I love the odd couple. They can drop life in pieces. Kevin can wait and man with a plan are very good.

39. Pook says:

I really just think they need better writers. It’s too fast-moving. More content. Fewer cheap jokes.

40. Pook says:

This show will do great on TBS or USA or any one of the cable stations. Screw CBS and it’s all it’s new crappy comedy shows and thinly veiled dramas that you can always figure out whodunnit after the first 10 minutes.

41. Georgene says:

Maybe the time slot had something to do with it there was nothing on before it to watch so we would make sure we watch it at 9:30 maybe change the time slot

42. MJonczak says:

Yeah, give us a fourth seaso! My family enjoys this sitcom

43. real shame…this felt like the best Perry show since Friends…the whole cast is great especially Lennon

44. Kevin says:

Heck yea keep it for sure !

45. michael says:

To be honest, when the assistant who is a woman was standing while oscar and felix sat on the sofa, I was through with it. If this situation really existed, not enough seats to go around, they would offer her their seat, especially Feliz. It would be the gentleman thing to do. No, she was left standing. cancel immediately!

• raycellolivecom says:

Which scene are you talking about? And seriously…It’s the 21st century, and that’s a reason to get upset over a show? First of all, the sofa on the show is long enough to fit three people, so it’s not necessary for the guys to offer her a spot. Couldn’t she have just asked herself? And there are literally two other seats on either side of the sofa, she could sit in either one if she wanted to! Why would she need permission from the other guys? Look over the set carefully next time before letting your blind chivalry cloud your better judgment. It does not apply here. Look, I don’t really like the way Oscar treats Dani either, but that’s what his character is all about: Lazy, unkempt, and inconsiderate of others. Felix could’ve let Dani sit, but Oscar being the more domineering personality, and Dani being his assistant, it’s pretty representative of how Oscar treats others, in general. Even if indeed there weren’t enough seats for the three of them, not offering a spot for Dani doesn’t make Oscar or Felix bad people. Being a woman is not a good reason to have others give up your seat for you. If say she was tired or exhausted from Oscar putting her though work all day, that’s a better reason. So no, even if this situation existed, it’s not a gentleman thing to do to give up your seat, it’s just common courtesy, as long as you’re not basing your reason on whether someone is a man vs. a woman. It would be absolutely petty to cancel a show over something like this.

46. Heidi says:

Odd pulls is a great show! Please more episodes!

47. Bill says:

CBS’s biggest mistake is having Two Broke Girls as a lead-in, The audiences for the 2 shows are too dramatically different. I thought it was a better match with The Big Bang Theory.

48. Kathleen Denise Zarrinabadi says:

I LOVE this show! Fantastic comedic acting!!!

49. Meryl says:

Please do not cancel this show! It’s so funny and I look forward to watching it!! Move it to another night or back to Thursdays!