We McDonald

The Voice Top 10 Recap: No, Wé

Please read the following sentence in the frenzied, ragged scream of The Voice host Carson Daly: WE’VE GOT OURSELVES A HORSE RACE!

OK, more likely than not, we don’t — and it’ll come down to Billy Gilman versus Wé McDonald when Season 11 wraps in a mere 15 days.

But at least Top 10 performance night gave us fans of longshot specials and overturned apple carts a little cause for hope. Billy’s vocal rocketship never quite made it off the launchpad, while Wé’s mashup of opera and jazz came across about as natural as a toilet plunger grafted to a branch of an apple tree.

As Billy and Wé’s stumbles brought them back into striking distance of their Season 11 competitors, Sundance Head, Christian Cuevas, Ali Caldwell and Brendan Fletcher all performed strongly enough to make a case for their inclusion in the finale-week Top 4 — even if the ghost of Kenny G’s pop-chart domination nearly threatened to swallow whole one of the aforementioned artists.

Let’s jump right into letter grades for the week’s 10 performances:

Billy Gilman (Team Adam) Martina McBride’s “Anyway” — Grade: B | Like an apple pie direct off the factory assembly line, Billy’s “Anyway” had an aura of perfection about it, what with the soaring, scoopy notes and practiced angst. But beneath the glistening crust, there wasn’t a whole lot of emotional filling, and there were even a few underbaked notes in his lower register. Four-coach standing ovation aside, I’m not sure a slice of “Anyway” was worth all those sugary calories.

Courtney Harrell (Team Blake) Cher’s “If I Could Turn Back Time” — Grade: F | Oh, if only Courtney actually could turn back time, perhaps she could take back all those notes that hurt us, OK? Seriously, though, like an index finger caught in a mousetrap, Courtney’s abject failure to string together two correct notes was both painful and baffling. If she’s not sent packing after three abysmal performances in a row, then don’t be surprised if Blake Shelton gets himself a Marvel comics movie franchise sometime in 2018.

Josh Gallagher (Team Adam) Tim McGraw’s “Real Good Man” — Grade: C- | Who decided to strand Josh atop a monstrous staircase, then have him thuddingly descend to the stage while getting upstaged by everything else happening on the very busy set? Josh himself seemed to lose steam in the final third, his pitch abandoning him like a political news junkie discovering an episode of The Bachelorette on her DVR.

Aaron Gibson (Team Miley) Elton John’s “Rocket Man” — Grade: C+ | I appreciated Aaron’s attempt to put his own stamp on a pop chestnut to which 90 percent of Americans can sing along. But reducing the soaring anthem to a two-note, bongo-fueled, jam-band bowl of pablum simply wasn’t the right direction.

Christian Cuevas (Team Alicia) Lady Gaga’s “Million Reasons” — Grade: A- | To my ear, Christian’s never quite broken out of the “midpack player” role — and, on paper, his choice of a current Lady Gaga jam didn’t seem like an opportunity to break out. Boy, was I wrong! With some expert coaching from Alicia, Christian infused the ballad with delicate, nearly broken-down interludes that contrasted beautifully with his bigger, beltier notes. Best of all, dude came thisclose to breaking down with emotion but never lost his grasp on pitch in the process. Two more performances at this level, and Christian might be pushing a chosen-one artist right out of his or her confetti shower.

Austin Allsup (Team Blake) John Waite’s “Missing You” — Grade: B- | Austin’s voice sounded uncharacteristically ragged tonight, making his opening verse more of an ode to his lost sense of pitch and phrasing than a distant lover. But the stoic country cat gained strength as the performance went on, his behind-the-beat delivery bringing a haunted/haunting edge to the lyric and those final few crumbling notes proving genuinely stirring.

Wé McDonald (Team Alicia) Billie Holiday’s “God Bless the Child” — Grade: C+ | I was completely stoked to hear Wé wrap her lush, velvety lower tone around an incredible jazz standard, but the actual performance came up short of almost all my expectations. Wé’s goofy spoken word intro was almost immediately at odds with the languid vibe of the song, and the teenager’s phrasing was so hectic I started to wonder if she had any sense of the words pouring out of her mouth. Worst of all, though, the “opera” notes for which coach Alicia lobbied so heartily stuck out like Miley Cyrus at Buckingham Palace. Granted, even the best contestants get one flier per season, but remembering Wé’s Live Playoffs catastrophe, I’ve got the count at 2 hits and 2 outs.

Brendan Fletcher (Team Adam) Cyndi Lauper’s “True Colors” — Grade: B+ | Poor Brendan had to contend with the most aggressive saxophone intrusion since 1980s pop radio, but despite the dubious distraction, he delivered a sweet, scratchy interpretation that was as emotionally tuned-in as it was musically in-tune.

Sundance Head (Team Blake) Tom T. Hall’s “Me and Jesus” — Grade: A | No joke — fireworks actually began exploding somewhere outside my apartment in Jersey City just as Sundance finished his rousing, raucous and nearly note perfect take on this inspirational country jam. Mere coincidence or a hint from the man upstairs about who’s got his Season 11 vote? It’s hard to say. But even without divine intervention, Sundance is looking more and more like a lock for the finale — even if his staging sometimes looks like it was borrowed from a late ’70s episode of Hee Haw.

Ali Caldwell (Team Miley) Badfinger’s “Without You” — Grade: B+ | I wanted Ali’s performance to be perfect, because she’s been my favorite all season and especially because last week’s “9 to 5” was a failure of song choice and execution. And while there was Real Housewives-level drama in the way Ali’s striking gown with its elongated pink train played against a powerful wind machine, it was Ali’s opening verse and first refrain that reminded the audience of why the former girl-group member simply must advance to the semifinals. Sure, the final 20 seconds or so went haywire, with Ali struggling to maintain control without dropping her Mariah-esque ambitions, but she absolutely did enough to avoid a Bottom 3 placing come Tuesday.

Who do you think ruled The Voice Top 10 performance night? Vote for your faves in our poll below, then expand on your thoughts in the comments!

1. Mike says:

My only disagreement was on We. It was a bit awkward, but anything lower than a B is just ridiculous.

2. Mge says:

I actually thought tonight was really great. I loved Christian (favorite of the night), We, Billy, and Brendan in particular. Sundance and Ali were just as good as usual, but Austin was pretty clearly the worst performance in my eyes. He was extremely flat for a good portion of the song. Either way, I’m still glad that Darby is out.

• davmon says:

Christian gave me chills; I really connected with his take on Gaga. Which surprised me. Have felt he was technically skilled like Billy and equally bland. Not tonight. Moved into Top 4 for me. For now.

• The Beach says:

Austin’s vibrato is really unpleasant. He covered it up well last week with the Bob Seger song but tonight it was on full display.

• GregK says:

Christian and Brendan gave surprisingly great performances but Ali oversang at the end to the point it was almost painful. Sundance was enjoyable as usual, but Rocket Man on acoustic guitar?, c’mon man.

• Smokey says:

agree, just didn’t get a rocket lift from that version of the song. Looks like another bottom 2 for Aaron. I wonder if they are going to have a bottom 3 and have them all sing to eliminate 2,, or just send 1 straight home and the other 2 sing-off for their spot in the top 8.

• Mike says:

Rocket Man was just horrible! Miley and Aaron just take songs slow them down, strip it back and call it alternative and out of the box, somebody should just tell the truth and call it what is is, bad and boring. Elton is one of the most over the top outrageous performers ever, they robbed the song and Elton of its greatness and just made it bad.

• Jenna says:

I wasn’t crazy about this performance but I disagree with your generalization. Father John misty is as alternative as it gets, as was his rather faithful interpretation of hurt. Like him or not, he’s clearly an alternative artist.

• Jpk says:

I don’t know if he was flat or took too much artistic license. He should have left the main refrain alone then it would have been okay.

3. Jay says:

We’s grade is too low! Ali deserved an A-, and I agree with Billy’s grade as he belts too much for my liking

• davmon says:

We’ just put this baby in her back pocket. And kicked the competition off the stage. Projecting total self-confidence and great stage presence to be so young. Great song choice. And great coaching of this special talent. I have thought she was the one true long-term talent potentially of this bunch; but she had not quite outshown the field until tonight. With this, she jumped We’ out front! [That is what I wrote prior to reading Slezak. Obviously, not everyone agrees. C’est la vie!]

• Angie_Overrated says:

I think you hit the nail on the head with We. It was the self-confidence and stage presence that made it work. There were some strange vocal choices, but it all worked for me in the aggregate.

• The Beach says:

After watching every season of The Voice, We’ is the one contestant I could see really making it big.

• Jpk says:

Sundance is the one who killed the night. We takes herself too seriously–but what 17-year old doesn’t. Don’t think she has what it takes to win it–yet.

4. Florence+TheMachineRulez!!! #TeamMariah says:

Ali, we, and Christian owned tonight!!! OMG we was sublime! Her artistry is so classy!!! And Ali just sang her ass off YASSS!!! Very powerful, very raw! Loved it!!! Wished she could’ve sang vision of love instead but yes mam! She’s an A- for me. And Christian, FINALLY u let yourself out and sang!!! Bottom 3 for me is Aaron, Courtney, and either josh/Austin

• davmon says:

Agree on all counts!

• Smokey says:

I think you are right on who the bottom 3 will be, I think the bottom 3 in actual votes will be Courtney – Aaron – Austin. …………………

The Country itunes buyer market / voters, are more likely to gravitate to Josh along with Sundance, since he stayed in the Country Lane, while Austin took a questionable fork in the road on song choice, I like the song but he couldn’t do anything special with it at all, IMO, and I guess he wasn’t feeling well also.

• Russ says:

This probably will not be popular on these boards. I have watched the show from season 1. I have never not trusted the show, but am starting to this season. I agree they have played favorites, but after tonight it is blatantly obvious they want Ali in the finals. They want her there so bad, one could wonder about the voting results last week. I know she would have been saved on twitter, but to not even be in the bottom 2 after not cracking the top 200 on Itunes is very suspect. Then she gets the pimp slot this week, while Billy gets the first slot. Again very suspect. Oh and what she do with that pimp slot? She yelled her way through the entire song. Something that used to be condemned by these boards. Not that she would go home but I would love for her middle of the pack Itunes ranking to earn her a bottom 3 slot this week. It won’t but it would be ironic.

5. kevstar69 says:

I think Courtney needs to go. That was Darby bad.

• The Beach says:

It has amazed me that she has lasted this long.

• Smokey says:

I didn’t notice Courtney even in the top 200 yet around 10:45 Chicago time ,,,,,,,,

If she survives the double elimination this week , she must have a lot of supporters who don’t download her songs……………….

Aaron was at #109 — Austin at #70 — Josh at #58 — Ali at #30— W’e at #17 — Christian an #11 — Billy at #8 — Brendan at #7 — Sundance at #4…

• david7118 says:

As of 9:40am CST the standings are: Sundance at #1 — Brendan at #3 — Billy at #4 — Christian at #7 — We at #10 — Ali at #15 — Josh at #41 — Austin at #43 — Aaron at #70 — Courtney at #151. Looks like Aaron and Courtney are likely gone tonight.

• GregK says:

Liked Courtney but she ruined Cher tonight.

• Smokey says:

courtney just made it to #167 on itunes, but trails the other 9.. could be her and aaron and probably austin in bottom 3.. But then, strange things can happen since they never show the actual votes.

• Music in My Bones says:

Courtney’s problem was her song choice. Last week, her performance was superb. She doesn’t ‘do’ hard-edged (Cher) convincingly.

6. Oscarpig says:

We is a tremendous performer being coached very poorly

• davmon says:

Actually, I thought We’ was coached well; and I thought she was fab! Seemed to me Ali is the one being coached badly [of the great talent]. Ali has the chops to be final two. Her song finale’s arrangement and phrasing was blasé. A Miley-muddle—as was the long train of her dress. Vocally, only We’ is in her league.

• fiberlicious says:

100% agree. It was Miley’s idiotic instruction to “throw some opera in” at the end that ruined We’s performance. The brief shot of We’s face when M said that in rehearsal said it all.

7. Melaniem says:

Thank you, Michael-I have been reading nothing but raves for We’s performance on other forums and I found it old-fashioned and overwrought. Thought Brendan, Sundance, and Christian were the best of the night by far. Austin’s vocal was rough-he has been majorly sick this week-but hope he survives till next week. Billy was again meh

• JMark (formerly JM) says:

Thanks for letting us know Austin was sick. That explains it. I agree that he should survive. There are way worse singers like Courtney, Aaron and Josh that should go first.

• Neil says:

I’m with you. I didn’t like We’s performance also. But to me, it’s because of the arrangement. Something was off. She sang well but it was awkward. I liked Billy, Christian, and Brendan. I wanted Ali to slay the song tonight but she fell a bit short to me. Bottom 3 could be (and I hope): Courtney, Austin, and Aaron, with Austin (of course) getting saved.

• Debbie says:

I agree,Sundance, Christian and my favorite Brendan Fletcher, threw it down. Aaron, Austin or Courtney, bye bye

8. Jakay says:

Ali, Brendan and Christian were my favorites of the night and I’m pretty surprised by that since none of them were up there for me before. I agree that Billy did fine but wasn’t special, plus he was first, so I wonder if he will be in trouble. We’s weird mix didn’t work for me at all and Sundance was fun but there was no emotional heft to it at all. On a fantastic night, fun isn’t good enough. I liked Rocket Man fine but I don’t think anyone is expecting Aaron to last past this week. Any one of Josh, Courtney or Austin can go with him and that’ll be fine by me. Courtney and Austin were especially weak tonight.

• davmon says:

The surge for Brendan and Christian is something new. Long-term, can they sustain the quality they showed tonight? If so, they will play bump cars with the vocal heavyweights–We’, Ali, & Billy–and the ole trooper Sundance. For those final four slots next time. Everybody has to bring it next week to survive.

9. Andres says:

If I could turn back time, I would stop myself from watching Courtney’s performance. That was not good at all. For me, the second half was way better than the first. Hopefully we get a Courtney, josh bottom 2.

10. danin says:

Me..I haven’t been a fan of Billy’s..tonight though he excelled. A+. We..B, Christian..B, Brandon..B-, Austin C-, Courtney D-, Ali B..she strained at the top, Josh..I walked out of the room, Aaron..hated the arrangement for Rocket Man..c’monnn, Sundance B

11. Kimmy Moores says:

A C+?
    Gimme a break.

12. nedsdag says:

A C+ for Wé, Michael? I must admit I tapped my toes to Sundance, but in no way was he the best of the night.

13. Trent says:

I love love love Billy, but he really needs his Alisan Porter ‘Let Him Fly’ tender moment.
    I can actually see Sundance taking out the whole shebang, and I ain’t even mad.
    We is too inconsistent for me to be satisfied with her win.
    Without You as Miley’s song choice for Ali was ridonkulous – she’s been all over the map in terms of genre, just like Courtney. She’s very talented, but needs better song choices.
    Loved Brendan and Christian tonight – both amazing, and could make it to the finale as well.

• The Beach says:

I could put on some Brendan, sit beside the fire with a glass of excellent bourbon and be blissfully happy.

• Adrian says:

Uh wait a minute. So Ali is considered all over the place but if she did nothing but R&B ballads people would be sitting here calling her boring and something they’ve seen before……. Ali in my opinion is trying to show versatility.

14. Debbie Martin says:

Ali Caldwell is the best I have EVER heard!!

15. JMark (formerly JM) says:

A C+ for We??? I hollered at the TV set. She said she had to bring swagger to the performance, and boy, did she! Loved Sundance as well. I’m a big fan of Bluegrass, and he really brought it. Blake really helped with his arrangement though. Unlike the horrible arrangement he gave Austin. What was he thinking?? But I thought Austin’s vocals were definitely better than Courtney, Aaron or Josh. Ali and Christian were great, too. I don’t get the love for Brendan. That rendition bored me to tears, and his voice just isn’t that special to me.

16. Kaba says:

Wé haters gonna come out the woodwork and support this rating as if they’ve been vindicated cause Slezak agrees as if we haven’t seen wonky grades before.
    It’s okay, Wé was stellar tho so unfortunately that’s wrongly up to opinion this week.
    Oh well.

17. Mike says:

Michael! Are you out your mind? We was fabulous tonight. A+.

18. Angie_Overrated says:

Hm, I usually agree with Slezak, but we have a lot of dissent tonight. Hated Billy’s performance, really really really hated Ali’s performance, We’s performance I thought was so fun and easily in A-grade territory, and I was not at all enthused with Christian’s performance.

Definitely agreed on Sundance though. He and We owned the night in my opinion.

• NotVirgin Mary says:

The latter half of Ali’s performance rubbed me in all the wrong ways.

• MC says:

I voted for Sundance tonight. He had a great slow build tonight and it was very similar to a good concert performance from a seasoned pro. I forgot that this was a talent show while he was doing his thing.

• Sun says:

I wasn’t at all enthused by We or Christian. To me Christian seems to strain for breath which makes the song not smooth. I liked the Sundance barnburner. And I love Courtney but agree she doesn’t have the tone.

19. Neil says:

I agree with Michael that despite the performances tonight (and probably next week), Billy and We are finale-bound. Sundance will be there, too (Blake has never had a finale without a Team Blake member except for S5. In fact, except for S5, he’s never had a season with less than the Top 2. His team is that popular.). And I have a feeling Sundance could spoil it for Billy and We. As for the 4th spot – I wish it’s Ali. That quartet could give us a good finale show! However, Josh, Brendan, or Christian could sneak in. Of the three, I wouldn’t mind having Brendan there (would be great to have the rock genre represented in the finale).

• Melaniem says:

I think Brendan is the fourth person in the finale. He has been consistently selling well on iTunes and has had more of a growth arc this season than anyone else-from being a coach’s save in the live playoffs to a real contender

• JMark (formerly JM) says:

Ali has no chance if Miley keeps picking bad songs for her.

20. polarvortex says:

The only good thing about Courtney’s perfomance was her fancy leather outfit!She should consider singing some eighties hair metal! It would go better with her sparkly black lipstick.I love We and thought her performance was spectacular but she really needs to get over this “I’m not the coolest girl” crap! Sweetie, you are on the Voice! You are a contender!That is beyond cool!

21. Ronnie says:

iTunes Ranking as of 1130 EST

Sundance #4
    Brendan #7
    Billy #8
    Christian #11
    We’. #17
    Ali. #30

Let’s see how much effect the west coast will have tomorrow.

• Patty says:

Oh my gosh, I am so happy for Brendan. He performed True Colors beautifully. I have it on repeat and I am melting. Give me his voice and a sax anytime.

22. Timmah says:

Billy is amazing. He’s making up for that lackluster season with Alisan.

23. Sun says:

Miley’s song choices continue to be absolute crap. It is a testament to Ali that she overcomes the songs. It would be nice to hear her sing a song that isn’t about singing the same lyrcs over and over again. You can tell Miley’s immaturity.

• MC says:

“Without You” is a great singer’s song. Ali just zooms into overkill/oversinging mode on every song. That’s not Miley’s fault.

24. Annie says:

Well, Michael, I disagree with you on two counts: Billy and We. I have not been a fan of Billy’s thus far but I really liked his performance tonight. And We…I still can’t believe she is 17! Her voice and stage presence are so mature. My favorites of the night (in no particular order) were Billy, Christian, We, Brendan, Sundance and Ali. Austin and Josh…meh. Courtney was awful and Aaron was disappointing because I have liked him all season.

25. scott says:

There is no way on earth these contestants chose these songs. This was a train wreck of a night. From bad song choice to bad arrangement to bad execution. If I had to grade on a curve, I’d say Sundance, Brendan, Billy and perhaps Ali were the best performances of the night. Why are they pushing We’, I have no idea. I still say the best talent was sent home weeks ago. If ITunes is an indicator, Sundance might take it all.

26. Davey says:

Sundance Head did nothing new on the Voice tonight. If he wins this thing I’ll scream. Right now he and Brendan are a top the iTunes Charts with Billy and Christian not far behind.

27. Davey says:

Austin tweeted that he was so sick this morning he didn’t think he was going to make it through the song tonight.

28. Music in My Bones says:

1. Brendan Fletcher – tender and compelling rendition of ‘True Colours’…He can sing ANYTHING and make it real. I would buy his album NOW. I’ve loved his voice since he sang ‘Jolene’ in The Blinds.

2. Sundance – that singer has KICK and a powerful voice.

3. Christian – he bares his heart. SO expressive!

I thought Ali did well until, true to form, she belted out the final part of the song. Too shrill.

We’ has a strong voice, but the song choice was akin to a 13-year-old crooning ‘I Did It My Way.’ I didn’t buy it.

29. analythinker says:

Looks like the voters agree with Michael. And I am too, in a way. I just don’t get We. It feels rather forced to me.

30. skrable2a says:

You comments on Billy’s “practiced angst” crystalized for me why I just don’t get the love for him. It’s like that line from Charles Emerson Winchester lamenting his piano playing: “I can play the notes; but I can not play the music.” There’s just something technically correct but emotionally superficial with Billy.

31. Music in My Bones says:

Michael Slezak, I agree with you on the saxophone accompanying Brendan, whose voice was pure, raspy and appealing on its own.

32. Barry says:

Finally a night to get excited about! Good performances overrall.
    Ali has been my fave since the lives started, but I didn’t enjoy her this time. The song choice was kind of bad, but I cringed a little on the last third of the song, so I’m not gonna put the blame on Miley. After tonight and last week, her chances to make the finals seems to be less likely; i like Christian and Brendan, so if any of them take her spot I’m not gonna be mad necessarily, but for body of work, I think she deserves to be there over them; I’ll be more than happy if Sundance takes the win this season, he was easily the best tonight, and in my opinion the only one without a stumble, so I think he is my pick to win it all; I was surprised by Wé and her grade, I wasn’t blown away either, and a little bit awkard in the spoken part, but she was for me hands down in the top 3 of the night, so I don’t get why such a low grade, B+ or A- for me; I hated Billy, truly hated that performance. That’s my favorite Martina McBride song and he sucked all the beauty and emotion of it, any chance of getting on board with him are gone at this point for me. If there’s any justice, Courtney and Josh will be heading home this week, how they managed to outlast Sa’rayah is still beyond me, but they will be heading home, or Courtney and Aaron. Either way, I feel like I will be pleased with tonight’s outcome.

33. Toba7 says:

LOVED WE! Billy is so uninteresting.

34. Chuck says:

Without You was Harry Nilsson, not Badfinger.

35. yvette3 says:

We was not as good as you are saying she was and Courtney did better hen a F.

36. Lee says:

Sundance, Christian, Ali, Austin and We, in my opinion we really good last night. I’m over Billy G.

37. Maria Hui says:

Billy Gilman has no lower registry! Boy, oh boy!

38. dbsuma says:

Looking at consistently at performances from all who remain, I would choose Sundance Head or Billy Gillman as the winners. Behind those two, I’d go with Ali Caldwell, We McDonald and Christian Cuevos. I guess I’m just not a huge fan of Brendan Fletcher; sorry.

39. There is no doubt that Billy Gilman has the BEST and most trained voice. For some reason though, the teeny boppers don’t love him…..It’s a shame because its a singing contest, not a popularity contest…..There is a good chance Sundance could win the show…..A. Because the season was so long on the blinds and so short on the live…..and B. Because Blake is very popular as a judge and these young kids just can’t separate the two.

40. Tracey Wojcik says:

Team blake every year! Why is miley on there? To young to know talent! She could use some herself. Not a good roll model or someone contestants should look up to.

41. Peggy says:

I think Ali knocked it out of the park ~ should have been at least an A. Sundance was great! Billy (as usual) was great also. The Voices on The Voice have been great this year! I would hate to have to pick a winner!

42. Zenobia says:

I do not care for most of the songs

43. Colleen Stone says:

I think you and I heard two different versions of Austin Allsup’s Missing You. A B- is extremely generous in my book. It was a D at best. And I feel you were a little rough on Josh Gallagher. He was definitely better than Austin.

44. Porgie Tirebiter says:

I didn’t realize this show was still on…

45. Kbella says:

Every week I just shake my head at the weird song choices. Aaron’s version of “Rocket Man” stripped all of the passion from the song. What was the point of that? Austin was just terrible on “Missing You” which isn’t really that great a song. He showed his total lack of range. If he was sick that might explain it a little but I haven’t been a fan of his anyway. Courtney has been plagued with bad song choices week after week. It’s obvious Blake has no idea what to do with her.

I loved Sundance and We, although I didn’t love the opera notes at the end. Billy is a good singer but I agree with people who say there’s no emotional connection or something. I’m not familiar with the song he sang and often that’s a good thing but for me, it wasn’t.

I really like Christian but I wish he hadn’t sung that Gaga song. Too repetitive.

• JMark (formerly JM) says:

To me, Austin can really belt out the notes and shows incredible range. Josh is the one who is limited and always sounds monotone to me. To each his own.

46. m cornell says:

Gilman performances seem mostly the same – plug in anything. While he has range and is always on pitch, his voice doesn’t have much character – no raspiness, no catches, no yodel, no depth. His voice is crystalline like a choir boy’s (or a childhood star), very effective in it’s place but not great for pop or country. Listen to his version of Adele’s song versus hers. His relations to the stage and the camera are posed and too self-conscious. His reactions/responses seem canned and practiced.

47. kennybky92 says:

I disagree with Billy. His performance was easily the best of the night.

48. Lyn Jensen says:

Badfinger may have done “Without You” once upon an album track but the composer is Nilsson (who had a big hit with it) and Ali’s model is Mariah Carey’s version.

49. Matt says:

You lost all credibility when you gave Billy a mere “B”. Not sure what you doing his performance cause you obviously wasn’t paying attention to him.

50. ASHLEY ENDERTON says:

Billy Gillman, this season, and Alison Porter, last season, have turned me off from watching live rounds the last two seasons. So clearly favored and yes, talented, but they aren’t undiscovered talents. They still know people in the “celebirty life”, I’m sure have connections and surely have had their shot at fame previously.