Supergirl Recap

Supergirl Recap: Earth-1 to Kara! (Plus, Let's Talk About All That Kissing)

Monday’s Supergirl served as the official kickoff for The CW’s four-part Arrow-verse crossover — while serving up one mother of an awkward Thanksgiving dinner for the Danvers.

Between Mon-El blatantly hitting on Kara (via her mother), Alex drunkenly attempting to come out by way of a heartfelt toast, or Winn and James bickering about whether to spill their Guardian-flavored guts, the evening was pretty much doomed from the start. And that’s to say nothing of the unexpected mid-meal tear in the time-space continuum! (But more on that later.)

Of course, Thanksgiving dinner wasn’t much warmer over at L-Corp, where Lena and Lillian skipped dessert and went straight for the bitter personal attacks. Lena got the party started by telling her mother, “You never let me forget that I’m adopted,” and Lillian took it to the next level with this wicked response: “No parent ever truly loves their children equally. I do love you, Lena… in my own way.”

Speaking of Lillian’s evil shenanigans, Mon-El learned firsthand the harmful effects of Medusa — a weaponized virus, originally designed by Kara’s father — when Cadmus sent Cyborg Superman to execute a mass gassing at National City’s hottest alien dive bar. (The one upside to being sick, though? Getting to steal a kiss with Supergirl at your bedside, an opportunity Mon-El seized without hesitation… even if he claims he doesn’t remember doing it.)

Anyway, just as Cadmus reached #PeakEvilPlan — with Medusa-filled rockets poised to wipe out all alien life in National City — Lena revealed herself to be a good girl after all, swapping her mother’s deadly weapon for a non-lethal gas. Crisis averted! Mother behind bars! (Now if only we could do something about those mysterious evil aliens searching the stars for Mon-El…)

And now, some things I loved this week:

* Alex’s eventual coming-out conversation. I was ready for a big speech — as was Alex — but it turns out she didn’t need one, which I liked even better. Based solely on the number of times her daughter mentioned Maggie, Eliza effortlessly put the pieces together, then conjured up a touching speech of her own: “Why would you being gay ever let me down? … Look at the life our family has lead. I don’t think you ever believed I expected you to have a regular life. You were always going to be different, because you’re exceptional, and I love you however you are.”

* Alex and Maggie’s first (reciprocated) kiss! It turns out Maggie just needed a little bit of time — as well as a near-death experience — to realize how much Alex really means to her. This week’s kiss was much better than Alex and Maggie’s first tragic lip-lock, made even more delicious by the addition of pizza!

* Cisco and Barry’s perfect timing. Or was it terrible timing? I honestly can’t tell. I mean, sure it interrupted Turkey Day, but it also saved Supergirl from the grips of Cyborg Superman. So… call it even?

* The tension between Lena and Supergirl. I haven’t been able to get a solid read on Lena Luthor since her debut in the Season 2 premiere, and I kind of love her for that. (Props to Katie McGrath for consistently excellent, and admittedly perplexing, performances.) This week, she proved herself capable of trading barbs with Supergirl — like brother, like sister! — then turning on a dime and saving the day, keeping us guessing all the while. I think we have the makings of a really interesting dynamic between Lena and Kara, and I’m curious to see where it goes from here.

What did you love (and not love) about this week’s episode? Thoughts on Kara and Mon-El’s big kiss? Alex and Maggie’s? Whatever’s on your mind, drop it in a comment below.

1. Jason says:

Don’t think i’m in the minority when I say most fans do not want kara and mon-el becasue it was so blatantly obvious we were going down this road from the start and to have the whole ” I need to find myself” as a reason not to move forward with james just 8 episodes ago seems lame.

• Sarah says:

I know many fans who want them together. Just depends.

• Jason says:

I don’t, I look at strictly from a story pov, No shipper goggles and i’m not liking it and most of the people i’ve seen talk about it don’t like it becasue it was too obvious and the way it was set up at the expense of another character(even if they didn’t like that character) feels like bad writing. Bad set up for a relationship

• jj says:

you have the direction of that wrong. James & Kara weren’t sacrificed for Mon-El & Kara. Mon-El was brought in because the writers recognized that James & Kara weren’t working.

• Sarah says:

I have to agree.

• Jason says:

and they werent working becasue the writers didn’t know what to do with James not becasue there was no fonduation and by this season they still don’t know what to do with him. Thats not queue to pull a retcon that screams bad writing thats your sign as a writer to do your job and write what you spent the entire season on better. work on the dynamic instead of just erasing it in the shotty way they did

• jj says:

I agree they could have found a better way to end them. But I disagree about your suggestion that the writers should have kept working on trying to fix the dynamic. I think it’s important for writers to recognize when something isn’t working and move on to something that does work. Unless they complete change James so that he’s no longer the dullest character in the entire Arrowverse, it was never going to work.

• Sarah says:

The writers were right to kill Kara and James. To say it was not working and not drag it out.

But I agree that it was abrupt and not handled well.

• Superfan says:

I agree, I’m all for Mon El/Kara but not in rushed form. Hope they can take their time and develop Mon el a bit more as well. I like James and his guardian plot, I hope he finds someone he truly has chemistry with…because it’s certainly not Kara.

• Amit says:

The DCTV writers never know what to do with the original designated love interest. Lana Lang suffered from it. Laurel Lance suffered from it. Iris West suffered from it. So did James Olsen.

Personally, as much as I love the Alex/Maggie storyline, I was really hoping that we were gonna get a fun Winn/Mon-El storyline.

• herman1959 says:

I also suffered whiplash over the Kara/James switch up. First Kara was all over James, she FINALLY got him, then she was over him for no real reason. They should have kept James with Louise Lane’s sister, at least there was some passion there.

• JFINN says:

Of course the writers or viewers like you thought Karolsen didn’t work. Because James is black and you along with the writers pair her up with the generic CW white love interest.

• Tai says:

I am one of those viewers. I think they could be cute together. Then again there’s a lot of chemistry with a lot of the characters on the show. I think that it is obvious that Mon-El was brought on to be a love interest but it is one that works. It doesn’t feel shoe horned in like it did with Jimmy and Kara in the beginning.

• I am totally shipping Monara!! lol or Karmon!! They are awesome and i love the actor who plays him!!

• JFINN says:

Like her pairing with Mon El don’t feel shoe horned. Come on. After rewatching Season 1 clips Kara and James had way more chemistry. Mon El is the CW white generic love interest.

• John NYC says:

She’d do moon calf eyes and he’d get even more wooden. Chemistry? Hardly. Now he did work with his girlfriend.

Beyond all that I’m in the “why does SUPERGIRL need any guy/girl to validate her worth?” Sort of counter to what had appeared to be the show’s message imho.

• s says:

Her and James had way more chemistry? Lol. No, Kara and Mon-El have a thousand % more chemistry then Kara and James!

• Katie says:

I don’t know, Jason, my sister and I LOVE her chemistry with Mon-El. That pairing is absolutely adorable, and makes a ton of sense, whereas her feelings for James always felt manufactured. Personally, I’d love it if they were endgame.

• Pedro says:

I love them together. They have chemistry. Kara and Olsen didn’t.

• diz says:

Yeah, Mon-El and Kara aren’t a good match, they’re like children together, it’s boring and I don’t find that appealing. I’m disappointed in Supergirl writers, Kara “needed to find herself……………… romantically involved with a manchild alien.” Lame

2. ndixit says:

Before anyone complains, if you really thought this ep was going to be all crossover, you weren’t paying attention to the title of this ep vs the crossover eps.

• John NYC says:

Versus the “four night crossover event” endless promotions?

Granted I wouldn’t have wanted anything to take away from a great episode all on it’s own.

But “3.02” does not equal “four”.

• Jim says:

I’m going to complain. It was advertised as a “four night crossover event!” and really, tonight barely counts. It was quite a bit less than we were led to expect. Also, why would most viewers be paying attention to the titles of episodes before they air? It’s fine to do a bit of extra sleuthing if you want but don’t turn around and fault everyone for taking the advertising at face value because we didn’t do the same.

• SKY says:

You didn’t read any of the news about the crossover on any of the news sites did you. The executive producers etc said weeks ago on EW, TVline, deadline etc that the event would start at the end of SG.

• Gregory House. says:

As opposed to how the CW promoted this as a four night event?
          Promoting as such, and assuming viewers would be aware of how inconsequential the first night actually was going to be, is putting the onus the viewer to do the producers job.

• Partisan says:

No. I didn’t read any news or websites or interviews etc. I just watched the commercials and was told a Four night event. Tacking 30 seconds onto an unrelated episode is not 4 nights. It’s misleading and they knew it. With the exception of a few mega fans that seek out anything and everything they told the majority of their audience they were getting A and they gave them B. Not cool Berlanti.

• Anthony says:

I would say the fault lies at the hands of the CW’s marketing people, and not with the show’s producers, who have been very vocal about it not actually being four nights.

• Partisan says:

I think I’ll complain anyway. This was a really good episode judged on it’s own merits but the bait and switch of calling it the start of a FOUR episode crossover was deliberately misleading and a let down. Crossover implies that the shows will have some significant interaction and this one didn’t. If Supergirl was on Flash for 30 seconds would that count as a crossover episode too? Previous Berlanti-verse crossovers were better handled and less hyped.

3. Butch says:

The crossover got a really good review on sister site Deadline. No spoilers in review. Hope TVline also reviews it .

4. We Katie fans have known she’s been a knockout performer since her stint on Merlin (BBC/Syfy). That was a HUGE get on the show’s part, to offset Calista, Peter and Jenna’s exits due to the move to Vancouver.

5. Mary says:

Yay! To Alex and Maggie’s kiss. Boo! To Kara’s and Mon-El’s. I still say #KeepKaraSingle.

6. Gordon Rick says:

Lena had me going there. I was almost convinced she was going to the dark side when she gave her mom the needed material for the doomsday disease. I was waiting for people to die when she did turned mom in! I was suckered.

7. Sarah says:

PRetty good episode. A few comments

1) How much do I love Mon-el?

2) The way they saved MM was a cop-out

3) Props to katie. I Honestly have no idea if Lena is evil and just playing the long con, if she is good, or if she wants to be good but will end up evil

4) I thought that Mon-el was the prince but now that we have a new group of – evil? – aliens looking for him I do not know what to think

5) I hope we find out more about Zor-el. Was he the Luther of Krypton?

6) anyone else notice that CIsco denied being friends with Barry and the latters expression. Guess there is still tension there

7) I know that Alex’s mom already knew.

8) MOn-el brought stuffing!

• Erik says:

Mon-el was the princes friend/bodyguard. He was never the prince

• Sarah says:

I thought he was lying to conceal his identity because, first he did not know if he could trust Kara and then he knew how she felt about the frat boy prince.

The guy did not know how to throw a punch. How could he be a bodyguard

• Tai says:

That is very true. It did catch me off guard when he was first training that he didn’t seem very good at it. I assumed it was because he wasn’t used to his strength on earth but that’s an interesting theory that he’s actually the prince.

• jj says:

regarding your second point, I feel like it goes beyond just a cop out, when he was cured with one line of dialogue my thought was “why did they even bother with this storyline?”
      And you’re right Katie is playing the character so well. Definitely looking forward to seeing where her character ends up.

• Alichat says:

I don’t think Mon-el is the prince but I think his escape from Daxam wasn’t as he said. I think he betrayed the prince, escaped, and these aliens are royal family members who survived Daxam and are out to get him.

• DD says:

I totally noticed Cisco’s remark about being co-workers with Barry, not really friends, and was thrilled about it. When there is no continuity between the various shows it drives me nuts, but this one sentence gave me hope that this crossover is going to be everything I’m hoping for!

8. harperchase says:

I’m a major fan of Chris Wood, so I’m loving his arc so far. The chemistry between him and Melissa Benoist is great!
    Although I suspect he’s keeping a secret about his real identity – pretty sute he’s not just a random Daxamite.
    Either way, I’m 100% here for it.

9. Andrea says:

Could see the Mon-El (delirious) kiss coming a mile away AND him feigning remembrance.
    Now about that #Sanvers kiss…. holy mama. Yay! for Alex and Eliza. She’s a great mom and can totally pass for the Bionic Woman’s sister. Great episode and lead-in into the crossover event of, probably, ever!

10. Butch says:

I expected Mon-El to end up in the Phantom Zone to save his life as the character did in the Silver Age comics. So I was surprised both he and the Martian Manhunter both were cured. Have they announced when Supergirl returns with new episodes?

• Sarah says:

Berlanti is not wed to the comics. Look at Arrow. Which I personally really like since it gives them more options. But I know that not everyone agrees.

• KET says:

New Supergirl episodes return on January 16th. However, The CW will be repeating the first two episodes of this season back-to-back next week…so in a way, Clark returns.

• Jim says:

I think he’s going to have a season long arc that ends with him in the 31st century, but whether he gets there by the Phantom Zone or not, I wouldn’t guess. Gives us a reason to hang with the Legion next season!

11. Katy says:

Lena will vow to never end up like her mother until one day she realizes she has became the very thing she swore she wouldn’t become…..wait a min that’s Merlin my bad ;)

• Sarah says:

Now see that is where I think it is going. The constant e pectation that, as a Luther, she is predestined to be evil will push her that way.

My prediction is that she is next season’s big bad. And that Kara will become conflicted.

12. Felicia Night says:

The second season of Supergirl is exceeding the first. I am quite impressed with this show.

13. Sarah says:

I did not realize that this was the mid season finale. No more episodes until January?

14. Robert says:

Last time iam watching the show, got to ruin it with the same sex stuff,some kids are too young for that. Bye!

• jj says:

if they are old enough to see a man and a woman kissing, they are old enough to see two women kissing.

• Butch says:

Pretending that homosexuality does not exist , is something to be hidden, or ashamed of is of no benefit to children and only helps foster the idea that it is somehow wrong , an aberration, or something to be feared..

• Superfan says:

You could easily ffwd if you don’t want to see it. I’m not a fan of Maggie so I ffwd all scenes she’s in. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for Alex/Lena

• Katie says:

I’m with you, Superfan. I’ll for gay!Alex, but I do not like Maggie at all. I’ve been hoping Lena might go that way. I was thinking I might like her a little more.

• bucccaneer says:

So a kid is ready for all the violence on the show and all the heterosexual kissing and copy room shenanigans (if there’s anything I would agree a kid is not ready for, it’s that Mon-el/Eve scene!), but at the same time is not ready for homosexual kissing?
      You can’t spin such thinking as anything other than homophobia.

• R.O.B. says:

I’ll respond to this one. No I am not OK with the copy room thing either – not when they did it with Mon-El this season or Wynn last season. I watch this with my daughter – Supergirl is a great role model – but the sex stuff, in any form, is just not necessary. I don’t understand why so many of these shows need to put so much emphasis on sex. We get it, people like sex. But seriously some of us parents would just love to have a show where we didn’t have to discuss it. Personally, I feel that there is not near enough emphasis placed on at the very least choosing sex partners WISELY, even waiting for the right one as long as it takes – meeting someone, courting, dating and waiting for the right time. Rather, TV characters tend to go the overly casual route, have multiple sex partners and there is absolutely no importance placed on such an important, personal decision.

• Butch says:

I understand your concern. Even though these superheroes were created in the comics for an audience of 7 to 12 year olds modern comics and these CW shows are targeting an older audience. As you discovered these shows may not be appropriate for your child to see. Perhaps superhero shows from an earlier era like the Superfriends might provide the entertainment you are looking to share with your daughter.

• Sergio says:

Can’t tell if trolling or really that damn backwards. If you think a kiss between two women are gonna turn you or your kids gay I think you should maybe pick up a book. That’s not how it works my friend. Dude don’t be close minded. Like Supergirl told Lena you choose the type of hero you want to be.

• Cate says:

Weren’t you on here saying that last week and the week before?

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out!

15. Diggory says:

So…did they explain in the episode why the virus didn’t affect humans? We are aliens as far as krytonians are concerned

• Sarah says:

I wondered the same thing.

And why not use KAra’s blood to find a cure since she was immune?

• Phun says:

Yeah I thought of that but then she would be powerless for some time and wouldn’t be able to help anyone. I’m guessing she didn’t want to choose that option.

• jj says:

yes! I thought the same thing. An explanation was needed.

• Butch says:

I could come up with an explanation. The Krytonians sent Kara and Kal-El to Earth and therefore must have known Earth people are good and would not invade Krypton. Therefore they exempted Earth people from the virus. Also if the virus ever got to Earth they wouldn’t want everyone but Kara and Kal-El wiped out.

• A.F. says:

Yes they did explain it. Kara or her earth mother said that the virus was altered, so that it wouldn’t effect humans but all aliens including Kara. They only didn’t say how that was achieved.

• Riana says:

Cadmus probably reengineered it so it wouldn’t affect them. Why would they release a virus that could kill them?

16. Kimberly says:

I like Mon-El. But not a huge fan of him and Kara. I agree that the relationship is at the expense of James, who they built the whole last season building up. I would love to see Kara alone for a while. I love Katie McGrath as Lena Luthor. Such a great character. And they handled Alex’s whole story so well. Pretty great episode on the whole.

17. keenen says:

Maybe it is just me, but I don’t think Kara has romantic chemistry with anyone. For me this show suffers with the same Flashitis. I get that they are supposed to be young, but the relationships come across as high school instead of young adults.

Outside of the romance, I have always liked Supergirl. I like it more when they focus on Jonn and Alex with Kara as a sidekick than with Kara’s story as the main event.

I missed the Mon El introduction, so I don’t know who he is supposed to be and why I should care. He is just very bland to me. I do hope they go with Winn and Lena, although again she comes across as a grown woman and he presents as a little boy. That is part of my problem with Jimmy. The actor does not fit in with the “teen” vibe that the rest of the crew gives off.

I don’t know, I was a long time fan of soap operas and there were plenty of people who could not stand each other off camera that gave amazing performances as a couple on screen. I put that down to the acting and the writing.

18. Superfan says:

For people saying Kara should be single for a while, if you had not noticed, she is single right now and has been single for 8 episodes now.
    Loved this episode mostly because of Mon El and Kara. Both seem to be on the same page about how they feel so it’s going to be fun to see how they deal with this going forward.
    I like James but pairing him with Kara did not work at all.

• Sarah says:

Kara has always been single. She did not date Winn and, while she pines for James, he was dating Lucy.

• tina says:

Yes to both of you! I don’t get the Kara should be single thing. It hasn’t even been 2 seasons and she has not had a boyfriend.

• Mary says:

When I say “Keep Kara single” I mean stop focusing so much on a possible romance for her. The whole first season was her wishing she could be with James. I got bored with that part of it and I don’t want any more of it. I wouldn’t mind if somewhere at some point we had an asexual character. Sheldon pretty much was for the first couple of seasons of Big Bang Theory and I liked that about him.

19. Paula says:

Fantastic episode overall! Loved Alex/Maggie and Kara/Mon-El kissing! Katie McGrath is perfectlion as Lena Luthor. Still do not like either Winn or James, though. This season is so much better than the first one (except I do really miss Cat Grant).

20. datdudemurphy says:

Loved that last line….
    Just straight to the point, “What are we up against?”

Got me pumped for tomorrow.

21. Olivia says:

Last year I didn’t want to get into this show because first, I’m more a Marvel girl and Superman universe had never appealed to me and second because I thought that it would be another stillborn show. But I still kept it in mind because I knew there was Chyler in it.
    Then, 2 weeks ago I read “Katie McGrath” and “Supergirl” in the same sentence: I’ve binge watched it during the week end lol. And daaaaarn, I friggin’ LOVE it.
    The female characters/writing/numbers/power is soooo refreshing! I still don’t watch the other shows but crossovers are still nice.

Never thought I’d be a fan of Benoist because I didn’t like her character in Glee but man, is she good in this role!
    Chyler is too good for words, as for the character… I’m in love with kicking ass and taking names, gun toting, beautiful, protective and loving sister of the year, lesbian paramilitary agent Alex Danvers #pleasesendhelp (also here for Sanvers :) but wouldn’t be sad if something with Lena happens in the future though).

I miss Calista (and Cat’s hilarious lines/rants) and Jenna in this season, they were awesome! But I have to admit that it’s still a great dynamic and I love the presence of Katie. Hope Lena turns out to be the type of grey-area character that still does good despite the methods, à la Spike, Regina Mills or Reddington. Love me some anti heroes with a heart.

Love Winn and J’onn, kinda indifferent towards James and Mon-El is fun. I’m kinda glad I got to watch 27 episodes back to back. I’m in! Gonna have to wait weekly and be patient like everybody else now haha ^^

22. Butch says:

Noticed how when Barry introduced Kara to Cisco as his friend, Cisco corrected him and said friend is a loose term and that they work together. I miss happy Cisco.

23. tina says:

Great episode! Loved both of the kisses. Loved Lena’s double cross. I’m glad they did the Mon-El-Kara kiss. It may seem quick but I don’t think it means they are going to be in a relationship next episode or anything. I am looking forward to seeing them flirt more! Chris wood is too freaking cute!! I have two questions…..1) What do we think MOn-El’s real identity is? The prince? 2) Did I miss where Kara was in a relationship last season? She went on a few dates with Cat’s son and kissed James once. What is with the “Kara should be single this season”? She is an adult, needs some sexy time!

24. John NYC says:

The four second “cross over” was rather meh. (not counting the cgi wormholes obv)

Maggie plus pizza for the win!

25. Jc says:

Omggg i loved kara and mon el but i hope its a slow burn. They have way more chemistry than kara and james ever did. Yay #karamel :).

26. peterwdawson says:

Well that was a real cluster. It’s like they tried to do too much at once. Thanksgiving! Alex comes out to her mom! Alex comforts a wounded Maggie! Cyborg Superman is back! Deadly Medusa virus! The robot at the Fortress of Solitude gets destroyed! Lena Luthor betrays her mom and gets her arrested! J’onn is still turning into a white martian! The Flash shows up! James and Winn argue about coming out about the Guardian! Cool ideas, but all at once they all felt kind of rushed, including Henshaw just being all, “I’m Cyborg Superman!” and then getting pounced on to be defeated.

27. Luli says:

Did anyone noticed Cisco’s response to Barry introducing him as a friend??? So.. someone hasnt buried the hatchet….

28. Jim says:

Boooooo……CW with the bait and switch….billed as an epic 4 night crossover event and we get 1 minute of The Flash as the night 1 “crossover”…..lame.

• jj says:

it’s been advertised everywhere that crossover was only going to be featured on Supergirl briefly. There’s not bait and switch, you simply weren’t paying attention.

29. Ted says:

Anyone can see that the real romantic chemistry here is between Kara and Lena. They would be hot together, especially after Lena inevitably goes “bad.” It would explain why Kara is written as a romantic-comedy heroine but has never seemed interested in romance with the men around her. And since the couple would have to keep their thing a secret, there wouldn’t need to be more of those endless “I kissed a girl” speeches.

• Yes, there’s sizzling chemistry between Kara and Lena . There has been since they met met in episode 1 — the mesmerized, longing glances or giddiness from Kara… the flirty looks and lip-biting from Lena. I don’t know if these were scripted for subtext but their chemistry is clear to me. I’m sure nothing romantic will actually happen between the characters (boo!) but their relationship can be mined in so many different directions. Exciting!

• I really wish the writers will realize this. I ship them since they first met. Theres too much gay subtexts between them and its killing me. Their chemistry and the sexual tension are so intense. They are more interesting than the other guys chasing Kara. Supercorp 4eva!

30. Johnny Styles says:

Katie McGrath is just killing it as Lena Luthor. I hope she stays on the side of the angels, but I fear that something will happen to make her more like her brother. I also wonder if we won’t see Lex Luthor onscreen at some time during the season.

31. Sonycru says:

I think James and Kara should have played out better. Then you bring on Mon El have the fans rut for them to break them up. Take a lesson from Barry and Iris … Best couple on the CW

32. SG says:

seriously amazing episode!

33. I dont need another forced romance with Kara. Let her be single. In s1 we got Karolsen and now Karamel? Idc about Kara/Mon-el kiss too.

I thought Sanvers is going to be slowburn but after 5 episodes they are now together. No offense to the fandom tho.

All the interesting parts goes to Kara and Lena. Sure their dynamic is the best since Cat and I ship them a lot.

34. Boiler says:

See some comments that this was really not crossover. I am fine with that as I don’t watch the others. At my age, if it wasn’t for the actors in Supergirl I may not watch that either although it is sort of fun.

35. Rodline J Ulysse says:

Anyone wanna bet they’re going to kill James next. Just wait and see.

36. Phun says:

Great episode. Tied up a few ends for the first 1/2 of the season. Loved that Maggie and Alex got together. One kiss was fine with Mon-El but I still want Kara single this season. Curious when it returns in January. January 16 or January 23? If they announced a return day, I missed it. :(

37. Starbuck84 says:

This show is really doing very well with the strong women and their interaction this season. Alex and Maggie are super cute, loved the Alex and Eliza conversation beyond reason, the dysfunctional Lillian and Lena dynamic is very entertaining, and I’m a big fan of the Lena/Kara dynamic they’re building on as well. The only downside (if one even wants to call it that) to all of this is that it makes Mon-El look even more like a pretty boring, immature man-child. He’s the one addition to the show that I wouldn’t mind them getting rid of soon at all.

38. Luis Roman says:

The show has improved by leaps and bounds(no pun intended) this season. IMO, Chyler Leigh’s Alex has been the linchpin character in the show, demonstrating the importance of familial bonds with Kara while kicking ass in her own right as a DEO agent. As someone who never particularly liked Leigh as an actress (did anyone at all watch “Taxi Brooklyn?”) I have to say she has more than lived up to all the potential that the role of Alex has held and has delivered even more in the developing relationship with Maggie Sawyer..
    I have loved Katie McGrath since “Merlin,” and I think she’s been a fantastic addition to “Supergirl.” Bringing her on as Lena, who;s trying to redeem the Luthor name after Lex goes to prison, was a brilliant idea and Katie is developing it well. It’s fun watching Lena’s relationship with Supergirl develop. I can see a parallel between the Lena/Supergirl relationship and the Lex Luthor/Superboy relationship in the 1950’s comics. It will be interesting to see how the relationship develops. At this point, I think it’s fair to rank “Supergirl” as the second best DC show on the CW (sorry,”Arrow”)

• Starbuck84 says:

Been very impressed with Chyler Leigh too. I’ve only ever seen her on Grey’s Anatomy before and wasn’t a huge fan (tho not opposed to her either, just neutral really) back then, but Lexie Grey also wasn’t the kind of character that was bound to impress me all that much and Alex definitely gives her a lot more opportunity to stretch those acting muscles. She’s really knocking it out of the park this season.

39. herman1959 says:

The look on Lillian’s face when the aliens didn’t die: PRICELESS! Graded AAA.

40. Dominique says:

this was an excellent episode! both katie mcgrath and chris wood are fantastic additions to the cast in their own way. they both add something that i feel the show needed.
    i cracked up when mon el brought stuffings from his pillow!
    if i’m being completely honest, i didn’t even realize james was hardly featured this episode until it was over. i also thought it was annoying when alex told him to hold off telling kara about guardan, because she had something huge and important to tell everyone, and james went for it anyway.
    lena was terrific, i’m so glad she turned out to be playing her mother this entire time. i truly hope she’s good, although i love the way katie plays her.

41. T. says:

Falling In love with Lena Luthor one épisode at a time. I hope to see the relationship with Kara develop as a strong female friendship.

42. Dana says:

Kara and Lena have the best chemistry and anybody who doesn’t see it like the SuperGirl writers aren’t smart.

43. Vovo says:

I like the idea of Kara and Mon El together; a better move than that snoozefest with James.

44. jem says:

Great episode, overall. Really not digging the shoehorned relationship between Kara and generic obligatory love interest. The attraction makes no sense from her side. He had to be shamed into being a decent guy, more than once. The only thing they have in common is the alien refugee thing. Beyond that, nothing. The writers need to do a lot better. Honestly, Kara and Lena seem a much better option. At least they have a lot of common ground and great chemistry. Why did they bother with the transformation storyline with J’onn just to drop it so abruptly? It had serious potential. Lena’s story is one I want to see more of. Her part of this episode was probably the best part. She single handedly saved everyone and no one can spare a moment to say thanks? Or check to see how she’s feeling after having her mother arrested? Rude.

• Emily says:

Agreed, they missed a wrap-up scene between Lena and Kara, or Lena and Supergirl. Guess there was too much in this jam-packed episode. But Lena must suspect Kara is Supergirl, right? After Kara’s interview about her mom and then Supergirl approaching her…about her mom.

45. Walt says:

I liked Supergirl. They had to ruin it with getting lesbians, pushed into the story. I think it is insane to push this homosexual new age crap. I removed Super girl from my auto recording.I will no longer watch. It’s pretty sad when everything has to be politically correct. This is a sick generation. Everyone I talked too said they are not going to watch anymore.