Riverdale Photos: The CW Brings Archie, Jughead and More Favorites to Life — Plus: Watch the First Trailer

Attention, residents of Riverdale: The forecast is calling for dark skies, unearthed secrets and a 100-percent chance of good-looking teenage mischief.

The CW on Monday released new stills from the pilot of its Archie Comics-inspired drama, in which beloved characters like Betty Cooper (Surviving Jack‘s Lili Reinhart), Veronica Lodge (newcomer Camila Mendes) and Jughead Jones (The Suite Life of Zack and Cody‘s Cole Sprouse) find themselves at the center of a murder mystery.

And then there’s The CW’s hunked-up version of Archie (New Zealand actor K.J. Apa) whose romantic entanglements with Betty and Veronica are, understandably, among the least of his worries.

The Greg Berlanti-produced series also stars Luke Perry (Beverly Hills, 90210) as Archie’s father Fred, Marisol Nichols (Teen Wolf) as Veronica’s mother Hermione, Mädchen Amick (Witches of East End) as Betty’s mother Alice, and Ashleigh Murray (Younger) as pitch-purrfect rocker Josie McCoy.

Riverdale premieres Thursday, Jan. 26 at 9/8c. Watch the trailer above, then browse our gallery of new pilot photos and drop a comment below with your thoughts on The CW’s teen drama — with a twist!

1. Why everything has to be dark? :( People don’t like to have fun anymore?

2. KT says:

Where’s the pictures of Luke Perry?! He’s pretty much the only reason I’ll be checking out this show!

3. Ally Oop says:

Who’s the girl in the first pic? Cheryl Blossom?

4. Lola says:

I wanted to be excited and initially I was but after seeing all the first promos and such Im severely disappointed. This is not my childhood Archie. CW is taking a classic and flipping it into some dark PLL satire type imitation. It’s ruined and I’m no longer interested.

• Nathan Everett says:

Great thanks for your input. Bye.

• atia says:

Seems like someone can’t handle a difference of opinion. The comments are a place for everyone to share their opinions on the topic. Good or bad. Just because someone doesn’t like the show doesn’t mean they don’t belong here. It’s rude people like you that should be leaving.

• AngD says:

I agree it’s sad that they are messing with a classic. Why not keep it the same.

5. Luis Roman says:

I don’t know what Mr. Weatherbee is going to think of all this

6. Nathan Everett says:

Greg Berlanti is on it. Just don’t turn into Julie Plec

7. TV Gord says:

This looks only vaguely reminiscent of Archie from the comics, but I’m anxious to see how this turns out. Josie’s gorgeous, so I can forgive her not being a redhead. ;-)

Recent iterations of Archie have sure faded Reggie Mantle into the woodwork. I hope he’s around. I mean, sheesh, he’s becoming the Grover of Riverdale!

8. Sasha says:

I saw this at sdcc. And I really liked it. All the characters were great. Archie was the only issue for me. But I loved Betty and Veronica. Betty tore at my heart strings.

9. Temperance says:

So, in short, they borrowed the names for an entirely new show that has nothing to do with the comics. Hard pass.

• ScottJ says:

Incorrect. The comics were updated a while ago, and the show is based on the current version.

• Jasker says:

Really? I didn’t catch the dark PLL vibe from the Archie comic I walked by while waiting to pay for my cupcakes at Publix. That double issue of Archie strangely looked just like the comics I bought when I was a kid.

10. T.W.S.S. says:

Now I wish they had done Scooby Doo instead. A gritty, slightly older Scooby gang solving a town mystery could have been great.

• atia says:

What a great idea. I know they’ve done Archie horror comics (zombies and such), but this show doesn’t really seems to fit at all with the core Archie style/tone. Scooby Doo would have been so much better suited for a dark, real- life version show.

11. JJ says:

Im soo ready for this!! Been waiting for it since it was picked up in May!!!

12. Rebecca Connor says:

What? Why are they killing it? What did Archie ever do to them!?!?

13. A fan of TV says:

Archie isn’t even a real redhead! It’s just so…obviously hair dye! Forget the plot, this is just too much.

14. ThatBob says:

Looks like a bad parody of the nolanitis that has made DC’s latest Superman films so dreary and yet laughable. Hard pass.

15. AngD says:

Okay when I was a kid Archie comics were my favorite and they were hysterical and funny not dark. This is crazy.

16. sunshine says:

That’s the worst trailer ever. It shows nothing to interest me. Nothing of the show. Not one word of a potential plot. What a waste, where are the creative people anymore?

17. grys03 says:

It must be a show based on Archie – look at the Riverdale track-top!!!
    Otherwise, unfortunately it looks like pretty much every other ‘pretty people get into trouble show’.
    Will give it a go for one or 2 eps.