Beaches: Idina Menzel and Nia Long Will Make You Cry in First Lifetime Trailer

Newsflash: Idina Menzel singing “Wind Beneath My Wings” is no less affecting than when Bette Midler does it.

So as you watch this first trailer for Lifetime’s upcoming remake of the 1988 movie Beaches, which opens with Menzel crooning the famous tune, you’re already prepped for major welling.

Menzel (Glee) stars as CC opposite Nia Long (Third Watch)’s Hillary in the weepy drama, which follows two best friends who stay close throughout their entire lives. (The roles were played by Midler and Barbara Hershey, respectively, in the original. And in case you were wondering, Midler has given the project her blessing.)

The video, released Monday, previews the movie’s major emotional beats. We see Hillary and CC hanging out as children, CC achieving fame, Hillary resenting her friend’s success, both women celebrating the birth of Hillary’s daughter, and then the really sad stuff: Hillary falling ill and… well, if you aren’t familiar with how the story ends, we’re not going to spoil you.

Beaches will air Saturday, Jan. 21, at 8/7c. Press PLAY on the video above to watch the trailer.

1. Amanda Griffin says:

Y’all better come better than that…..cause Bette Midler KILLED that song, this ain’t no Frozen!!!! That’s why I hate they messed with my classic movie!!!

2. readenreply says:

I don’t get the appeal of Idina’s voice at all, not now, not in Wicked. not ever. I find her nasally and shallow in tone.

3. Lovebeaches says:

Oh God,this looks awful. Another classic ruined. 😞😞

4. H says:

I thought the daughter was CC’s and her friend was raising her.

• Jennifer says:

No, the daughter was Hillary’s. And i’m not posting any reasons due to spoilers. (Has anyone NOT seen the original?)

• Mallory says:

Actually I haven’t. lol but I don’t care about spoilers when it’s a movie from almost 30 years ago…haha!

• Jennifer says:

Mallory – If you haven’t seen the original, I HIGHLY recommend it before watching this remake. I can’t see this coming close to the original. And due to a “new generation” I’m still not posting spoilers :-)

5. Jennifer says:

Why? Why would they mess with a classic like Beaches? This “remake” will never hit the highs and lows of the original. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, STOP WITH THE REMAKES AND REBOOTS!!!! Get new blood and ideas into Hollywood (and Broadway). Stop the madness.

6. Jasker says:

Terrible, terrible version of that song. If your going to redo a classic you better hit it out of the park they didn’t even get it over the plate. Small preview but those two look they have not chemistry. I’m bored just watching the trailer.

7. Cas says:

I mean it was different. She is no Bette Midler. But I do love Frozen :)

8. Annie says:

I love the original movie and I love Bette Midler. I also love her rendition of the iconic song. However, country singer Gary Morris recorded it years before Bette did that is much more hauntingly beautiful than hers and I prefer it.

9. Bette Titsling says:

Agree to disagree. Idina’s version sounds weak.

10. Lola Wallace says:

Well if you hate the trailer, don’t watch the remake! Geez, I really wish they didn’t cast Idina & Nia in this remake because now they’re going to get so much hate over how it isn’t like the original, it’ll never be the original, and all the constant comparing between two very different artists! Folks, if you want what you’re used to, go watch the original movie!