Gilmore Girls Revival Best Moments

Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life: My 10 Favorite Moments Ranked

The following story contains spoilers about all four chapters of Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life. Proceed at your own peril.

If you’re reading this story, that means you have made your way through all four installments of Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life. (Our recaps of “Winter,” “Spring,” “Summer,” and “Fall” are now live.) And if you’ve made it through all four installments of Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life, you’re probably looking at my headline and thinking, “How the hell did you narrow it down to just 10?!”

It’s a fair question. The struggle was indeed quite real. And there were copious casualties. Among the standout moments that I regretfully had to cut: Lorelai and Rory’s horrified reaction to the super-sized portrait of Richard that Emily had commissioned in “Winter,” Paris’ bathroom breakdown in “Spring,” that masterfully staged and performed newspaper delivery sequence in “Summer,” and Lorelai and Luke’s sudden engagement — and subsequent wedding — in “Fall.”

So, what does that leave? Scroll through the gallery above — or click here for direct access — for my ranking of the revival’s 10 most satisfying moments. And then get a debate started in the comments!

1. Larc says:

SIX continuous items on Gilmore Girls??? Severe GG hangup or news shortage?

2. Me says:

Last four words….total let down.

3. Eliane says:

I just finished and I am really disappointed. Rory storyline is awful and don’t come up with the full circle thing. The girl went on the Obama campaing. That was one of the greatest plots from GG, but since it was not from team Palladino, they just ignored. So now she is showing up for meetings completely unprepared, sleeping with a guy that has a fiancee, and even worse, relying on logan to get comfort and support?!?

4. Boiler says:

When do people have time to sit and binge watch anything? Does Netflix judge shows on that? I will watch this one or two days at a time.

5. Skye says:

Can anyone shed ANY light at ALL about whether or not there is going to be more episode’s? I need more… I’m in a frenzy reading every article I can get my hands on.. I mean lets forget the cliffhanger of the last four words even ….. what about Jess and Rory!!!!????!!!!

6. Cathy says:

I cried my eyes out when Rory and Logan said goodbye. Really hope that baby is his!

7. Christy says:

I was never Logan’s biggest fan and this did NOTHING to fix that. He was cheating the entire time! So I must disagree with the Logan related ones.
    But you did get some stuff right. Lorelai’s speech about her birthday is the stuff of legends! I sobbed! Emily’s DAR bull$hit tirade is phenomenal. Paris was as Paris as ever. And your number one is correct. They put Richard in it. In every way they could. Love!
    But Luke and Lorelai getting married to Reflecting Light was more than I ever imagined from the wedding I prayed was in this! So it makes the list.

8. Chad says:

How about Ausiello comment on the appalling lack of continuity? There was a scene in one episode of a town meeting where they announced all the fire hydrants in Stars Hollow would remain red…and boom cut to “Summer” and suddenly there’s a yellow fire hydrant? Seriously? WTF? Totally ruined the whole thing.

• amusedPolish says:

Not just that. What came into my mind was, that Rory mentioned she was flat out broke during her struggle before she got the idea of writing the book.
      Didn’t her great-grandmother, Lorelai the first set up a trust fund(mentioned in the 2nd season) she can access when she’s 25? Shouldn’t that be the case?

• L says:

That was revoked when she saw Emily and Lorelei get in an argument in public at tea.

• melaniedhi says:

Well she had all the money for her back and forth trip to London.. Or to the States.. Not like I know where she spent most of her time (although likely at Logan’s)

• Kay says:

Is this a joke? That ruined the WHOLE thing? Seriously? By the way, what they said was, we can’t change the fire hydrants UNTIL we get approval. When they were changed in Summer, the implication was that they had received approval.

9. Dannie C says:

I just want to say thank you so much Michael ❤️ Now I’m going to go watch AYITL again

10. Sarah says:

A couple of random observations –
    1. oooober made me laugh more than it had any right to
    2. Michel had a really hard time wrangling his accent after all this time
    3. Sookie’s scene was perfect – and I’m not sure I’ve ever liked Melissa McCarthy in anything more than I like her as Sookie in GG
    4. The ending left me feeling more sad than satisfied

• ChrisGa says:

Totally agree with you on Melissa McCarthy; the woman is deadly funny in everything but Sookie is still her best role for me.

11. So when’s the post mortem with Amy and dan?! Would love to hear everything they couldn’t say before the premiere!

12. MMD says:

Michael I got very verbose in my comments about the show below laughing and crying but what totally did me in is #1. When Rory opened that study door and saw her grandfather I cried so hard I scared my dogs and just seeing it again, I’m doing it again, Absolutely broke my heart.

13. lariet50 says:

I have to disagree with the inclusion of the Life and Death Brigade sequence. That felt so unnecessary and forced to me. Like many segments in the revival, this was another that was simply included for the sake of cameos. Such as the entire musical subplot – it was like they desperately wanted to find something for Sutton Foster to do. Which is fine, but it dragged on much too long!

14. T.W.S.S. says:

The best moment was the voice-over in the opening scene, followed closely by the casual appearance of Mr. Kim.

15. Bailey says:

The Life and Death Brigade sequence was amazing. So artful and emotional. And that goodbye between Rory and Logan was gut-wrenching. This can’t be the end!

16. Jana says:

I thought that the final scene with Jess and Luke (and then the window) was one of the best and most touching. I’m surprised that it didn’t make your list.

17. Carolime says:

Michael, you’re gonna make sure Lauren Graham gets that Emmy Award next year, right?
    She’s always deserved the award, but not giving it to her after these 4 episodes seems like a total lack of intelligence-

18. These were all my favorite moments, too! I know I am being greedy, but I wish there’d been more scenes between Emily and Lorelai. And between Lorelai and Sookie.

19. Dan says:

All of these would’ve been in my list except the Logan and Sookie moments. I would’ve added Lorelai’s drunken wake debacle, Kirk at the family dinner and when Rory first starts working for the Stars Hollow Gazette.

20. ee says:

Unfortunately, and this kills me to say, there was more odd/weird/awkward/and just plain wrong plots/interactions. I was looking forward to this more than is probably healthy. I had such high hopes but, for me, much of it fell flat. My favorites were Paris, pretty much her every scene but the stand out was the Chilton bathroom scene, and Melissa McCarthy’s scene. When she had the scene with Michel and Lorelai it was as if you realized the dynamic that had been missing throughout the entire thing. I was disappointed with the final words but, I think, only because it alluded to a logan/Rory baby. Ugh. Just uuuugh. I guess I’ll just leave it in my mind as Logan is the new Christopher and Jess is her Luke. Shhhh! No! That’s how it has to be. I won’t hear anything else.

21. DD says:

Michael, is it at all possible that originally, the final four words were meant to be said by Lorelai (carrying Luke’s baby I would hope…)? Maybe the first word was originally “Rory”, or maybe she was telling to Emily??
    I feel like the really reason I was a bit underwhelmed and disappointed by the final words was because had they been said 9 years earlier, meaning Rory was pregnant at 23, it would have been everything Lorelai dedicated her life to trying to prevent – Rory repeating her “mistake”.

• Kay says:

While I see your point, and hope they would have done some kind of flash forward, there’s still a big difference between pregnant at 16 and pregnant at 23.

22. ZinniQ says:

After loving the series, I watched half way through the first episode of a year in the life, and was bored to death. I switched off!

23. ZinniQ says:

Jared Padeleki does not even appear in the cast on IMDb.

24. Ray says:

My top moment was most definitely Sookie’s return. That made sitting through some of the more tedious segments like the ill-advised musical and LDB scene worthwhile.

25. Laurie Carson says:

Do you know if or when they will put it on DVD. or if they are going to do it.