the-walking-dead 20 best villains

The Walking Dead Countdown: Ranking the Show's Top 20 Villains of All Time

Ranking The Walking Dead’s Top 20 villains of all time is such a challenging endeavor that it borders on the kind of torture that Negan might use to try to break Daryl.

Think about it. First of all, the AMC drama’s range of baddies is so great that it includes everything from unhinged youngsters to treacherous cowards to man-eating beasts that aren’t even walkers!

Secondly, the atrocities committed by the antagonists at least occasionally fall into the category of “Well, it is the apocalypse.” And isn’t that how we justify a lot of our heroes’ morally questionable behavior?

Anyway, your friends at TVLine having given it a go, counting down the best of the worst in the gallery to the right (or click here for direct access). Scroll through our picks, then vote on your favorite — or would that be least favorite? — in the comments!

1. rhayden5995 says:

I don’t think I would have included father Gabriel on any villains list. Other than that I believe this list is pretty good.

2. Iris says:

Negan might be the vilest, but I don’t find him entertaining or compelling in the least. If “the worst” means so annoying (like a mosquito you want to swat) that I now check the very useful TV Line recap to ensure he isn’t on before I decide to watch an episode or not, then yes, he deserves his number one spot. Imho.

• Sam says:

I just read an article on the ratings for this season. The show has lost 1/3 of the audience from week 1 to week 4. The article came up with the only 2 reasons that may have caused this drop in ratings. I tend to agree. The Negan story line and having the core group spread out and in different storylines. So Negan may be the biggest villain since it looks like he took out about 6 million viewers.

• ann says:

They’ve killed off so many characters, but really haven’t introduced anyone new for us to care about.

• Bill says:

Agree 100%. With everyone spread out no one gets a real story, and Negan is way more annoying then anything else. I am giving them 1 more episode before I join the 1/3

3. militantgod says:

This list is horrible. It’s Shane, then everyone else.

4. Spence says:

Negan is not only the weakest villain in the show’s history, but one of the weakest characters period. He’s dragging down this season and the show as a whole and it’s extremely disappointing.

5. Bill says:

This list lost all credibility with Joe at number 3. He didn’t kill anyone on ricks crew. Garett should have been 3 and how is father Gabriel on that list?

6. Barbara sherrell says:

The walking dead is so boring stopted watching it

7. The governor hands down how is this even a discussion?

8. The GOVERNOR is the best villain of all time! It’s very easy for him to get your trust only to turn on you when it’s best for him. He looks like a neighbor in the suburbs who waves to you as you’re both off to work in the morning. He had a beautiful wife and daughter, but tragically lost them in 2 different ways. Despite his mourning, he has a solid outlook on future goals and obviously seems to be the one to put in the leadership position or “governor”. He proved himself to his people by creating the first secure, walled community in TWD. He was congenial to those inside the walls, which made them stay. We know about his psychosis, the aquariums, and keeping his dead daughter. But no one else does (discounting Milton)!

Gregory isn’t a villain! He’s just a coward, afraid for himself and does things to make sure he stays alive. We still have a lot to learn about him.

• Kathleen says:

Agreed! A seriously scary psychopath. However, strangely entertaining. Jeffrey Dean Morgan is doing a great job. I’d sure be intimidated by his gleeful sadism.

9. Rich Hallum says:

Where is Carl on this list. He has done everything possible to get people killed by being an idiot.

10. Barb says:

I would say the Governor was the best Villian…and Negan the least. Even before Negan killed anyone I thought he was a fruitcake. I think he ruined the whole show with the Saviors…their all more annoying to look at than anything else..The fact that the writers let this mamma’s boy kill off 2 main characters turned a lot of fans away. I think that kill should have went to 1 and 1 only. Not have them have to “share” the bat scene with someone else. Especially by this fruitcake..LOL sorry ..But what Villian goes around Eeene, meenie ,,ing it?They need to bring Glenn back and they could ..The twin brother thing?

11. Ryan Slattery says:

Negan is defiantly the most horrible actor in the lineup I’ve ever seen, for his weird capability of ruling so many of his men as well as his acting like a psychopath in every episode as I couldn’t help but constantly showing my desire to kill him😂😂 However, he may be the most successful actor ever presented by AMC, from the aspect of the plot and my own emotional thinking, I am not fond of this psychopath, still in brief, it is also due to that that has made him a total success! Just couldn’t help but like his unique ways of performing on TV!!

12. walker1988 says:

i’ve been a huge fan since the beginning, and i didn’t even watch the last episode of this season. I had high expectations for this one, but it turned out to be the most boring and annoying of them all, so dissapointing.

13. klara says:

Désolé texte en français :
    Pour part, le gouverneur est le meilleur méchant de la serie ! De part les horribles choses qu’il a fait mais je me suis aissi beaucoup attachée à lui et à son histoire. Il aurait été bien qu’il aille plus loin dans la série et peut être qu’il change en bien.

14. Gabriel Cano says:

Don’t know how the producers will go on with the series and create a more evil villain than Negan, it will be a big challenge. It could be a mexican narc, italian gangster or something like this but can’t imagine, that’s why this series ROCKS!

15. diana says:

negan. least favorite.i just don’t like him.killing people.