TVLine Is Thankful For: Westworld's Rabbit Hole, Supergirl's Move, '80s Flashbacks, O.J. Craze, Syfy and More

With more than 400 series now available via the broadcast/cable networks and streaming services, Team TVLine has more than ever to be thankful for this holiday season. But allow us to narrow down the list of things for which we were most grateful in 2016.

This year, Westworld captured our imaginations, while actors from Bates Motel and This Is Us made us appreciate the gift of their presence. And while we’re sad to bid adieu to some favorites — goodbye, you Liars, teen wolves and diary-keeping vampires — we’re glad the Powers That Be have allowed their creators to craft worthy farewells.

We’re also thankful for Supergirl‘s smooth landing on The CW, Syfy’s creative resurgence, the amazingly insightful obsession with O.J., and Netflix’s unsung (dark horse?) hero.

What follows is the fare that TVLine Founder/Editor-in-Chief Michael Ausiello, Editor-at-Large Matt Webb Mitovich, Executive Editor Kimberly Roots, Senior Editors Andy Swift and Dave Nemetz, and West Coast Editor Vlada Gelman have singled out as deserving of special kudos. (Coming Thursday: What you the TVLine readers are thankful for this year.)

Flip through the gallery above (or click here), then hit the comments to tell us what you think of our Thanksgiving spread!

1. Phun says:

I am thankful to TVLINE for giving me updates on my favorite shows. It’s one of my go to sites for all the latest scoops. Thank you guys for all that you do!

2. Bryan says:

Lotta love for Westworld. I should probably start watching that one. I feel like Jane the Virgin should be added. Thankful that even after 50 episodes, it still delivers the laughs, the drama and Rogelio and every episode is on pount especially this season’s great handling of Xo’s abortion storyline as well as a really good send off for Jane’s virginity.
    Also, for the resurgence of Girls and making the characters, even Marnie, likeable again.

3. Ian says:

I’m grateful for The Magicians too! Even if it’s a bit problematic.
    But most of all, I’m grateful for all the authentic and iconic, brilliant black television that’s come this season: Queen Sugar, Atlanta, and Insecure. I’m so in love. Forever may it continue.
    And TvLine doesn’t know about this show, but the new Doctor Who spinoff show, Class, is an obsession worthy. Ms. Quill is beyond fabulous. Tanya is everything. And Charlie and Matteusz are so special.

4. kmw says:

I am grateful Bones got a last season. Given everything that has gone on between actors producers and execs and FOX it could have easily been another way with no good closure. Thanks to everyone involved with that show especially David Boreanaz and Emily Deschanel for giving us fans an entertaining fun and lovely show. Their last season hasn’t even aired yet and I am already missing it

5. Joey Padron says:

Great list of shows and things to be thankful for this year of TV you guys chose. Thankful for a great year of TV and everyone at TVLine for updates and scoop on my favorite shows.

6. Coop says:

I am thankful for ABC canceling Castle and not allowing the series to be damaged any further. Season 8 wasn’t good, but a Season 9 sans Beckett would have been a disaster. Too bad they couldn’t stop the blah ending, but that would have been asking too much.

7. evababy says:

Between Queen Sugar, Atlanta, Insecure, This Is Us, Pitch, Blackish, Greenleaf & Luke Cage I am thankful that tv is finally showing a breadth of black characters and experiences that feel unique and varied and most importantly, authentic.

8. Kevin says:

I am thankful for Game of Thrones and the Battle of the Bastards episode. Also SNL, The Late Late Show with James Corden and Last Week Tonight.

9. Courtney says:

I look forward to this all year! Love the shoutouts to Superstore, This Is Us, Gilmore Girls.

I am thankful for Good Girls Revolt — a show that has gone completely under-appreciated, but has helped me through this difficult (political) time. It’s characters are developed and have great story arcs, the music and fashion are incredible, and it’s a story that has something important to say. Seriously, I want to know and be friends with Patti, Cindy, and Jane — such amazing characters.

Of course I am thankful for Stranger Things. It’s very rare that a show comes along that pretty much everyone adores. It was a perfect season of television and you can tell the whole world is awaiting Season 2.

The People VS OJ Simpson was another stand-out season. It was seriously perfect television and it introduced us all to Sterling K. Brown — the true breakout of the year. His work as Chris Darden and Randall on This Is Us is outstanding.

And above all else I am thankful for Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life. I have never looked forward to something more in my life.

10. MMD says:

I am thankful for everyone at TVLINE and all the hard work they do. This site keeps me up to date and the posters are not vicious attack dogs like some other places. They are all pretty much nice and helpful.

I am also thankful for Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life and This is Us.

11. Mic says:

So tired of the gender confused garbage on Supergirl, what possible purpose other than to push lgbt views. The one funny part is it does show us how wrong the lgbt is, and that its not something their born with but a choice. Thats what Alex did she made a choice, although misguided!

• Marco Piazzo says:

You know that saying, ‘better shut up and let people think you’re an idiot than speak and prove their point’? Yeah, it would’ve been good advice for you. So do all of us with working brains a favor and leave.

• Phun says:

YAWN!!!! And a SMH in there too….

Oh and nice response Marco Piazzo!

• Temperance says:

Thanks for the horrid Trumping load of bigotry! Timely *and* disgusting.

• Becca says:

Alex’s storyline is beautifully crafted and well done. Also given how she’s spoken about I don’t know how you can say that she chose her sexuality. But it may be too complicated for your brain cells to remember things that happened two weeks ago. I’m loving this season, but couldn’t disagree with TVLine more about Mon-El. I’m not sure he’s adding anything to the season.

12. Marco Piazzo says:

IDK if I should do this, seeing as I’m not American, but…

I’m thankful for Lethal Weapon, Stranger Things, This Is Us, The Exorcist, the late Dead Of Summer and many other shows that made this year brighter.

I’m thankful for American Horror Story finally starting to get better; Roanoke wasn’t perfect, but it was a start.

I’m thankful for HTGAWM having guts and deciding to be willing to change things up in a major way, because the show really needed it.

I’m thankful for Italian shows finally being quality without having to be only about the Mafia or organized crime or the fight against them.

I’m thankful for letting shows end on their own terms, even though I think PLL’s ending is doomed either way, as anyone who’s seen the last few seasons can attest.

• MMD says:

I’m not American but I replied above and I’ve never made any bones about where I’m from and have always been treated well.

13. N!loofar says:

YES to The Americans, just perfection in everything.

14. Pia says:

1. Was Lisa Kudrow the blind item from a while back?
    2. Anders is playing an organ, not a piano.

15. Magali says:

Im thankful for Dan Fogelman existence. Both This Is Us and Pitch have been the highlights of my fall TV season!

16. I definitely agree with letting Vampire Diaries end on its own terms! Hopefully it will get a good ending. I hate it when shows, *cough-Castle-cough*, have a crappy series finale because the network cancels it at the last second. Hopefully this will happen less in the future.

17. Gena says:

Among new shows, I’m especially thankful for ‘This Is Us’ giving me all the feels, and both ‘The Good Place’ and ‘Speechless’ consistently making me laugh out loud. :)

18. Brian says:

Agree about Bates Motel. Both Freddie & Vera’s performances are criminally underrated.

• Angela says:

They really are. They know how to keep viewers riveted with their performances. And despite what happened to Norma this season, we know she’ll still be on the show in some capacity next season, and I cannot wait to see how Farmiga and Highmore play off that new setup.

19. madbengalsfan85 says:

Thankful for 12 seasons of Bones, and the fact that the show has a final season to wrap things up

It’s been one hell of a ride

20. Teresa says:

I am grateful for Supergirl, The Flash, Arrow, and Legends of Tomorrow. I can’t describe how excited I am for the crossovers starting next week and the musical crossover between The Flash and Supergirl airing next year. And like others have posted I’m also want to give a big thanks to TVLine for keeping me updated on all my favorite shows.

21. Angela says:

Indeed, bless John Oliver and Samantha Bee for being on TV. Their shows and political discussion will definitely be sorely welcome and needed these next four years.

I’m also thankful to Stephen Colbert for indulging in his political side this year despite being on a whole new network and doing a whole new show. The “Hungry for Power Games” segments on his show were fun, and I love that he brought back his old character from “The Colbert Report” briefly this past summer. I’m also thankful to him for letting Jon Stewart pop in and share his thoughts :). It’s always great to see those two together.

22. Gregory House. says:

I am thankful for all of the politics injected into shows where it’s not needed and the ‘comedic’ political news shows. Without your powerful influence on pop culture, we wouldn’t have witnessed the election of the most idiotic man to ever run for president.
    Slow clap for building the bestest bubble in the world!

23. Sof says:

Thankful for supergirl and sanvers!!!

24. Lore says:

What? no one is thankful because John Snow IS ALIVE!! and the mother of Dragons is sailing to Westeros??? and NOT R+L ??? REAAAALLY

25. Temperance says:

In TVland, I’m most thankful for the the writers and cast of Lucifer – superior writing, plotting and acting. Even actors that I didn’t think were great are just *killing* it.

26. skrable2a says:

Yes, Michael Crichton created the original Westworld in 1973 … but I doubt he’s been of any “help” to the HBO series creators for this wonderful re-imagining.

27. parstl says:

So thankful for Orphan Black finally getting recognition
    …for This is Us, Blackish, Flash, Supergirl (especially with Cat), luke cage, chicago fire and designated survivor…for the ability to discover after the fact or late shows like nikita, shameless and scrubs and for all the many options now available via tv/streaming… for in depth and insightful reporting…and increasing diversity in entertainment and news media. And yes to tv line which I check every night.

28. I absolutely agree about Justin Hartley, iZombie, and Gilmore Girls. I started watching This Is Us because I’m a huge fan of both Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia, but Kevin is my favourite character. Justin Hartley is amazing, and I can’t wait to see where else he takes this character. Robert Buckley was sort of the unsung hero of iZombie in season 2 (even though Ravi’s my favourite character, actually), so I’m glad to see him get some love. I think Robert Buckley is my spirit animal. Haha And Gilmore Girls… Well, do I even need to say anything about that?