David Sutcliffe Debunks Gilmore Revival 'Rumor': Lorelai, Christopher 'Don't Get Married Again'

ggDavid Sutcliffe is well aware that Gilmore Girls junkies have decidedly mixed feelings about his place in the Stars Hollow canon. In fact, he knows that there’s a certain sect of Gilmore fandom that pretty much despises his character, Christopher, for the role he played in impeding the romance of Lorelai and Luke. And get this: He’s totally cool with it.

“It’s the best to be hated,” Sutcliffe gamely mused to me Friday at the world premiere of Netflix’s Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life (out Friday). “Being loved is overrated. Being hated is where it’s at. I feel so happy that so many of the fans hate me because it stirs of [their] emotions.”

Still, the actor was willing to extend an olive branch to his haters by confirming that the revival does not replay one of the darkest days in Gilmore history — Christopher and Lorelai’s sudden, polarizing Season 7 elopement. “They don’t go off to Paris and get married again,” he maintains. “They definitely do not.”

Watch my complete Sutcliffe Q&A above and then check back in the coming hours and days for more from Stars Hollow’s elite as TVLine’s “18 Days of Gilmore” scoop countdown continues.

1. GGFan says:

I could never hate Rory’s “adorable, adorable father.” But seriously, David Sutcliffe gets more attractive with age. It’s remarkable. Call me DS! Haha

2. I don’t hate Christopher because he got between Luke/Lorelai. I hate him because he’s a deadbeat father (who wasn’t even that great a dad to Gigi, the daughter he was actually around to raise) who I’m pretty sure still owes Lorelai eighteen years of unpaid child support. Lorelai and Rory are so much better off without him and deserve a lot better.

• Carol says:

Exactly!

• SAM says:

Hate is too strong a word but I dislike the character for the reasons that you stated.

• Grey'sFan says:

Um, Christopher paid for Rory to attend Yale… think that’s worth more than 18 years of child support. I love Christopher. If I was Lorelai I’d want both Chris and Max.

• Lindsay says:

They said he wasn’t around much. They never said that he didn’t pay any support at all. Pretty sure Lorelai wouldn’t have been so ok with him coming to visit early on if he wasn’t supporting at all.

• analythinker says:

Wasn’t it Lorelai who decided she didn’t want him around? I think he did offer, but she refused. He could have tried harder, but I don’t think it can be used against him.

3. Cheryl says:

I don’t dislike Christopher, and he was cute with Lorelai when he wasn’t being a selfish baby. They have a nice chemistry and banter together. I just don’t like when he gives up and storms off if he doesn’t get his way. I hope she ends up with Luke, and they either get married or talk about marriage again.

4. Amanda says:

I don’t hate Christopher either. I just never liked him and Lorelai as a couple. I actually really liked David and him playing Christopher. I binge watched the show recently for the first time so my opinion is probably different from most of the long time fans but I liked him. I hope we’ll see Christopher in the revival happily married to someone else and having a new family for him, Rory, and Gigi. I can’t see someone like him staying single for nine years.

5. sarah t says:

I never disliked Christopher. I always thought he and Lorelai had good chemistry together. Did he have some growing up to do? Yes but honestly, so did Luke. Lest we forget April and how Luke refused to even tell Lorelai about her for the longest time and how that basically broke them up so honestly, I don’t think they’re far removed as far as their maturity level. Yes, Luke was there more for Rory as she grew up but it’s not as if Christopher didn’t care about Rory. Ultimately, I’m pulling for Luke/Lor. Also, I think David just gets better looking with age.

6. Eric7740 says:

I always enjoyed Christopher, I just don’t think he was written in the best light. And who could not love David Sutcliffe??? What an attractive man. Thank you David!!! Everyone knows that Lorelai and Luke are the end game. There always has to be a hurdle to the “couple” in any series. Christopher was that hurdle. I hope they learned from Dawson’s Creek and don’t put the wrong couple together. Joey and Pacey!!! I’m still bitter about that one!!! Team Dawson for life!!! :)

• Jess says:

Ha! Pacey and Joey were the better couple! On paper, Dawson and Joey made sense but they didn’t have the chemistry that Joey and Pacey had. Theirs was a natural romance born of passion, while Dawson and Pacey was just puppy love. They were always better off as best friends.

• Maxsmom says:

I love both Christopher and David Sutcliffe. I was not ever a Luke fan. Luke and Lorelai were the typical opposites attract TV match. Boring.

7. I’d much prefer Lorelei with Christopher over Luke. Luke is boring and offers vivacious Lorelei nothing to improve herself.

But of all the men, I liked Max for Lorelei. He pushed her, challenged her.

8. Lauren says:

I never disliked Christopher! His banter/history with Lorelai was always great. He was flawed, but so was everyone else. I actually didn’t think it was THAT crazy when Lorelai and Christopher got married in season 7 – they had a 25 year history of on again/off again love – made sense that something would come of that eventually. Plus, Luke was a jerk in Season 6 and deserved to be dumped.

9. Cas says:

It took me a while to get on the Luke/Loreli band wagon. Before that I liked Christopher. He was more fun and interesting. But when that didn’t work out the first time I got over it and become a luke/loreli shipper. I like Christopher though and am glad he makes an appearance.

10. Oh thank god.That wedding in one of the episodes better be Luke /Lorelai.Chris and Lors elopement was a disaster-Rory was mad at them for it and the marriage didn’t last long.

11. Stefanie says:

Christopher was terrible – unsupportive financially and emotionally while Rory was growing up and Lorelai was a single mother; a fairly bad father to his second daughter; and enormously emotionally immature when it came to being a husband for Lorelai. He was awful to Lorelai and for Lorelai through the entire series basically; it seems like there was no growth from when he was 16 to when he was 40.

12. Whatevah8 says:

I hated Christopher because he treated Lorelai like crap and she kept running back to him. It made her character, who was otherwise really strong, weak. I could NOT stand him and his back & forth ugh..worst character EVER..

13. Big GG fan says:

I love Christopher, he’s hot, he’s fun and despite his issues, he’s totally worth having around. Max is great too, a total man any woman would want. Luke is a little to uninvolved for me. No romance, little communication. …..

14. MMD says:

Long before I had even heard about GG (I know, unbelievable) I liked him as an actor in a few Canadian or taped in Canada shows so I was familiar with his work here. I have never hated his character in GG but he did annoy the hell out of me and Lorelai was smart not to marry him when she got pregnant because the marriage would have been a disaster. As for the Paris wedding, well we all make mistakes but at least they were smart enough to get out of it. Some people just don’t belong together or are in different stages in their lives. I just hope he is being a good dad to GiGi and I hope he and Rory find some common ground.

15. Yael says:

I remember watching season 1 and 2 totally crushing on christopher and I was also rooting for him and lorelai to be together because they have such good chemistry but then after that he found out he was to be a father again and his character just went downhill after season 2. But hes hot and I wouldnt say I hate him.

16. Shay says:

I remember when I was a kid, watching the early seasons, I wanted lorelai n chris to be together because I wanted chris,lorelai and rory to be a happy family and of course I also thought he was cute.

17. Olivia says:

Am i really one of the rare few people who thought chris and lorelai should end up together?

18. MoshiMoshi says:

I looooove Christopher, his chemistry with Lorelai was amazing! Loved their banter!!!!

19. missy says:

He’s NOT perfect, no one is, but he tries to do the right thing even when it ends in spectacular failure LOL
    Plus, no Rory without Christopher. I could never hate him :D

Interesting that he has to say that Lore and Chris won’t be getting married. I mean, I know the Season 7 Wedding didn’t go down well with people, but it seemed necessary to move the characters beyond the childish “Can we still workout after all these years?” dilemma :)