American Music Awards Best Moments

American Music Awards 2016: Drake and Nina Dobrev's Degrassi Reunion, Plus 13 Other Key Moments

“Whatever it takes, I know I can make it through” was more than just our mantra as we headed into the three-hour (!) broadcast of Sunday’s American Music Awards.

It’s also a line in the theme song from the long-running Canadian soap Degrassi, which experienced an unexpected reunion at the AMAs when Nina Dobrev presented an award to Drake, her former co-star on the teen drama.

“Me and Nina were on Degrassi together,” Drake said, flashing the same smile that made Ashley, Ellie, etc. weak in the knees all those years ago. “We’ve come a long way, you know? … Congratulations on all your success.”

But “Jimmy” and “Mia”‘s surprise meet-up was just one of the events that made TVLine’s list of the evening’s most memorable moments. They weren’t all good moments — did any of those political jokes land? — but at the very least, they’re all worth discussing.

Browse our gallery of the best (and worst) moments from the 2016 American Music Awards — including Selena Gomez’s hella emotional speech — then drop a comment below with your thoughts — as well as any moments you’d add from your list.

1. TV Gord says:

I DO like that Chainsmokers song, Closer, but I’m torn between their version and Sarah Hyland’s. I’ll alternate between hers and tonight’s performance.

2. Amber says:

1. My Degrassi loving heart is so full tonight. More cast reunions!
    2. I can only assume people who didn’t know what Ariana’s song was about have never experienced what she’s talking about, and that makes me sad.

3. christine hurwin says:

The music awards was so depraved and lewd that I was ashamed of everyone on that stage.I thought I was in Sodom and Gomorrah. The wicked behavior of the artist was disgusting.
    It must have broken the heart of our Lord and Savoir Jesus Christ.to think that his
    children could behave like pagans form 4 thousand years ago. I see that nothing has changed.

• TV Gord says:

Why were you there watching it, then? It’s the same every year, so you must have known what to expect. I have to wonder why you bothered to tune in. Your moral indignation rings a little hollow. There were plenty of wholesome things that you could have been watching instead.

If I decided to tune in to watch reruns of Married With Children expecting to see Shakespeare, should I be outraged and offended when I saw silly sex and fart jokes instead?

• Nika says:

I did not watch the awards but whose behavior was wicked and disgusting?

4. Steve F. says:

Not exactly part of the AMAs… but the Ram truck commercial featuring typical construction workers’ spin on Fifth Harmony’s “Work From Home” had me busting up!