Beaches Remake Lifetime

Lifetime's Beaches Remake Gets Premiere Date — See New Photos

Mark this day on your calendar for a good cry: Lifetime’s Beaches remake has a premiere date.

The TV-movie remake starring Idina Menzel and Nia Long will air Saturday, Jan. 21 at 8/7c, the network announced Wednesday. It’s a new take on the 1988 Bette Midler-Barbara Hershey weeper about two lifelong friends who stick together across several decades, with Menzel as CC (Midler’s role) and Long as Hillary (Hershey’s role).

Along with the premiere-date reveal, Lifetime also unveiled a set of new photos from the remake. Here’s one of a very pregnant Hillary:

Beaches Lifetime Remake Nia Long

And here’s one of aspiring singer CC taking the stage:

Beaches Remake Lifetime Idina Menzel

Beaches, you may remember, is the source of Midler’s hit ballad “Wind Beneath My Wings.” And yes, that song gets a fresh rendition here, along with several others from the original movie soundtrack. Allison Anders (Ring of Fire) is on board to direct the remake, and child actors Gabriella Pizzolo and Grace Capeless play the young CC and Hillary in the flashback scenes.

Check out the new photos from Lifetime’s Beaches remake, then hit the comments to tell us: Will you watch? (And cry?)

1. Jay says:

Sorry, but what is the point of this? Just watch the original

2. tom crider says:

I am interested to see this reimagining, and to see how they update it. I became a blubbering balling basket case war ching the original. I hope this one is as heartrending.

3. MMD says:

Why mess around with an already perfect movie? I’ll take Bette Midler any day over Idina (although she has a terrific voice). If they had put her in a red wig I might be more willing to give it a try but I just can’t find a good reason, especially since the original was from the late great Garry Marshall.

4. Just like musicals, I don’t see the harm in doing a remake of a movie. Yes, Beaches is a classic. But the movie was tailored to Bette Midler. From what I have understood this follows the actual book closer (which by the way was really really good)

5. Brianna O-Y says:

I am very excited to see this movie. Idina Menzel has an amazing voice and both ladies are incredible actresses. I can’t wait to see the new rendition. I understand people wondering why they would redo a classic, but as Idina has said, there is a whole spectrum of people who haven’t even heard of the film which is sad because it is such a soul-touching piece. This is a way to give a new spin off of it and to give it new life in an age it may other wise be lesser known.

6. liame says:

Can’t wait to see this. Love Long and Menzel, both are wonderful actors. It’s refreshing to see a new take on a classic, especially when you enjoy the actors involved.

7. Lizzie Bee says:

I’m very excited for this…. sometime you need to freshen up a movie, etc for a new audience, a new generation! Both women are fantastic actors with Idina Mendel bring an extraordinary vocalist!

8. Patrick says:

No thanks, I will stick to the original classic.

9. Tanita says:

I think this is going to be a great movie remake. The original was great and I’m sure this will be as well. I can’t wait to see it.

10. LhM says:

No thanks. The original can’t be “remade.”

11. Miss Emily says:

REALLY? Why can’t someone write new material and use it? What a slap in the face to a wonderful movie with Barbara Hershey and Miss Devine, Bette Midler. I have no idea why they would ‘remake’ this and put in on lifetime but I imagine this will be a snoozer.