The Voice top 12 results recap

The Voice Top 12 Results Recap: Did the Right Singer Get the Boot?

Remember like two weeks ago when everyone in The Voice-aloonie nation was convinced Adam Levine’s team was weaker than an infant hamster with a severe case of ennui?

I’m not exactly sure what happened… Actually, that’s a lie. Questionable calls in the Knockout Rounds, inscrutable saves in the dashed-off Live Playoffs, and the undeniable power of bro-dom all dovetailed so the Maroon 5 frontman had the least stressful night of any participant in the Season 11 proceedings.

Granted, Adam’s country combatant, Josh Gallagher, could probably score a role on Season 2 of Neflix’s Stranger Things, considering how he ranked No. 4 among the Top 12 artists on the iTunes singles charts despite botching two out of every three notes of Jason Aldean’s “Why.” (Well, the title’s apt for those who chose to download that messerie.)

We also got a very necessary bit of balladeering from Alicia Keys, a daftly beautiful Dolly Parton cover from Team Miley, and an hour with barely a word out of Blake Shelton. (C’mon, Mark Burnett, dude’s punch lines are still money!)

With that said, let’s recap the action — before I go to the fridge and start chugging Sauv Blanc directly from the bottle. #TwoTuesdaysInARowOfHeartbreak

Sent to Safety (in Chronological Order)
Ali Caldwell (Team Miley)
Wé McDonald (Team Alicia)
Brendan Fletcher (Team Adam)
Courtney Harrell (Team Blake)
Billy Gilman (Team Adam)
Darby Walker (Team Miley)
Austin Allsup (Team Blake)
Christian Cuevas (Team Alicia)
Josh Gallagher (Team Adam)
Sundance Head (Team Blake)

Bottom 2
Sa’Rayah (Team Alicia) — Aretha Franklin’s “Rock Steady” | Praise-hands emoji to the unimonikered diva for throwing down the gauntlet on perhaps the greatest funk jam of all-time ever. As I hooted, hollered and got up off the couch to boogie along with Sa’Rayah’s rendition, my husband giggled from the kitchen and noted, “It’s nice that 11 seasons in, you can still get excited by this show.” Grade: A

Aaron Gibson (Team Miley) — Ed Sheeran’s “Lego House” | This was a servicable rendition of a sweet, acoustic jam — but we all know sweet acoustic jams > funk classics when it comes to reality singing competitions. There were some jank notes in Aaron’s cover, too, but maybe there were in Sa’Rayah’s but I just didn’t hear them on account of shouting “Yaaassss, Queen!” “Do the damn thing!” “MMMM-HMMM! over and over again. Ugh, be happy you don’t live with me! Grade: B

My tweeting decision was etched in stone the minute Carson said the words “Rock Steady.”

Alas, all my efforts proved as fruitless as an apple tree in Maine in the middle of February.

Saved
Aaron

Eliminated
Sa’Rayah

THIS IS WHY WE CAN’T HAVE NICE THINGS. (Mark Burnett, could we at least get Sa’Rayah’s “Rock Steady” on iTunes?)

And then there were 11!

What did you think of The Voice Top 12 results? Did America get it right with the Bottom 2? Did the correct artist get saved? Sound off below!

1. Michael H. says:

The white guy with guitar curse strikes again… #TeamRAYAH4LIFE

• kcostell says:

I prefer to think of it as Sa’Rayah’s Bon Jovi performance still ringing in people’s ears 24 hours later.

• OhMy says:

Well, after the events of last week we know that there might not be a God, but if there is one why didn’t half of these contestants get voted off? In any case, at least both of the bottom 2 could have been sent home.

• Smokey says:

My guess was that Sa’Rayah would go, now it;s a song-choice match between Aaron, Courtney, Austin and Darby next week… . ………Singing ability is a strong factor, but not the only factor. …..Appeal of the song to a good portion of the viewers,,,, genre choice, ,,,general likeability,,,Coaches popularity,,, twitter following gains by contestants, I-tune sales indicators, … are all factors that come into play. ……………….

There have been some great singers come through these type of talent shows over the past 15 years, but as we’ve seen, the best technical singer doesn’t always win.

2. Mge says:

Nothing much to say tonight, it was quite disappointing. Darby’s continuing presence on this show is an absolute travesty. She just keeps beating out better artists every single week, I don’t get it.

3. Emm says:

Can we still have Reality Check back? #wishfulthinking

4. Zedi Goldman says:

Do the new coaches and contestants not watch this show? Or do they just ignore history?

You dont pick iconic rock ballads. You dont just scream your lyrics without proving you can smoothly navigate the low register and THEN build up. It may sound powerful live but it’s just annoying on TV.

And for the love of music, stop faking voices and enunciation!! Yes Ellie Goulding, Ed Sheeran, Florence, Adele, Sam Smith, etc all have these cool ways of pronouncing and singing certain phrases… It’s because they are not American! When you’re from midwest US; we know it’s fake–stop it! Looking at you, Darby.

5. davmon says:

Again, the woman had more talent and won the competition; but she is going home. A pattern? Politics aside, I have liked Sa’Rayah every round; Aaron has been hit and miss. But tonight, I did not like her Rock Steady–a bad choice; she could not shine. Aaron had a more intimate song and started well, so I knew he had it…then he got weird and warbly. So I went back to having likeed HER all along. But these two performances seemed no better than C+.

• Smokey says:

I think Aaron’s song choice had more appeal to the twitter army. He has little range in his voice, but chose a song he could handle well,,, that especially the younger twitter voters could identify with.

• analythinker says:

It’s all in the song choice for her. Too bad because I’ve liked her throughout as well.

6. Joel says:

I have to agree that to me Darbys voice doesn’t compare to the two in the bottom but not counting her then I probably would agree or at least not have a problem with the way it went.

7. Margo says:

Not a fan of Darby at all … she should have been eliminated imho

8. del says:

I would actually pay for video of your excitement on Itunes. Just sayin…….

9. Not surprised at all. The fact that she even made it to the live shows left a few people irritated. She beat out two artists who (in my opinion) were better and more unique. I thought she did a great job this week, but I guess it wasn’t enough…

10. Derek says:

If “The Voice” is really about the voice, Sundace Head should win hands down.

11. Eurydice says:

Sorry, but Rock Steady was a rotten choice for an Instant Save. All hollering, no melody, nothing to showcase her voice – I knew she was doomed as soon as I saw the song title.

12. Colleen says:

No doubt about it, the right person went home on Tuesday night. Alicia wasted her save by using it on Sarayah, unless she was being strategic for her two much more deserving team members, in which case I say well played. It will be another disappointing season if Aly or We does not win the title.

13. christopher bee says:

Rock Steady is a fine Funkrock song, but not very showy for singers.

I know that Mothers Finest is not as big in the US than in Europe, but “Baby Love” as uptempo and “Changes” as Ballad would have been the better Songchoices melodicly.

14. Lain says:

I like Aaron, so I’m glad he stayed. Darby though… still can’t believe Miley preferred her over Sophia.

• scott says:

Thank you! Sophia would have had way more potential to keep advancing. I actually think she was the most rounded artist of the bunch.

15. Mary Plumeri says:

This is a God because Trump won and we are saved from 4 years of a crooked horrible Hillary. Sarayah got the shaft though! Hey if Michael can bring politics into his column I can do it in the comments section!

16. Secret Garden says:

Something AI “judges” did was give constructive criticism and sometimes expressed negative reactions. I FF through the post-performance commentary from all four Voice coaches because they never say anything other than unconditional superlatives. Everyone is not always great. Be honest or how does one learn to improve?

• Cldahlman says:

I totally agree with you. It would be more interesting, and meaningful if they gave constructive criticism on every performance, but they are so invested in the win, they don’t want “America” knowing that they doubt one little note of the performance, and they don’t criticize another coaches’ team, because theirs would get criticized in return. g

17. Voice Fan says:

This may be the year that a black female coached by a black female wins the show. I think We has an edge over Ali and Courtney because her voice is more original, it is deep and when I am just hearing the singing voice and not watching the TV, I swear a male is singing. Plus, she is the total package. She is pretty, petite and she is starting out as a teenager like her coach Alicia, Miley, Christina, Taylor Swift, Dolly Parton and many other successful female singers. I think We looks so much like Alicia that she could be her daughter. I am glad NBC is not shamelessly pimping one singer over another this season and giving all the singers a shot to win. Because we can vote as soon as the singer performs, it doesn’t matter what order they sing. So all singers have the same advantage

18. T says:

You botch singing a Bon Jovi song and you get what you deserve.

19. Scarlett says:

To my ears, that Dolly rendition was anything but daftly beautiful. More like a hot mess!

20. Sheryl79 says:

Michael – please Facebook Live you watching the performances and commentating as it goes. We would all love to see that :)

21. liame says:

Why do I already know how this is going to turn out? TA!

• analythinker says:

The Voice is kind of predictable. After a few years, we get to understand the patterns. Sure, Carson’s call-out order was slightly altered last night (lowest-vote getter first for Team Adam & Team Blake, but highest-vote getter first for Team Miley & Team Alicia), but the remaining two could be predicted just by iTunes alone.

22. Josh Miller says:

Brendan is horible ! How he is still on the on the show makes me wonder if our votes really count. Then to top it off Sa Raya gets voted off. I know I’m watching the same artists everyone else is watching. Another thing is there has been several singers who was voted off early who have 10 times better voices than several of the artists who are still in the competition. I understand that it is pretty much already decided if you have been watching the show from the beginning. There is no one who is better than We period but I would still like to see a fair judging on the other artists.

• Temperance says:

Brendan has a Voice. He just needs to finish finding his niche. As he revealed in the last show, he was in a metal band, and has switched to blues. He’s got amazing potential, but he needs to diversity in texture and color.

• Cldahlman says:

It’s a matter of taste, I like Brendan’s voice. I like him better than Billy

23. Temperance says:

It was the right choice for sure. Sa’Rayah COULD have been much higher (she can absolutely sing), but her song selection was absolutely, phenomenally bad. Maybe the worst ever. I wouldn’t have minded both going. Aaron has a really cool voice that works on a very limited range of songs. He’s not really much of a singer – no range, variation in texture, color, emotional range. But I could see him do OK with songs tailored for his particular limitations (like Britney Spears).

24. Judith says:

Well I would say the wrong person went home considering the worst performances of the week were from Courtney and Josh!

25. Liz Lockwood says:

I must say my estimation of Adam Levine as a beautiful person, a real mensch, shot up ten million times. Thank you for playing “For What It’s Worth” on Tuesday.

26. Liz Lockwood says:

And that goes a thousand times ditto for Alicia Keys. I am so in gleeful awe of your amazing talent, brave heart and soul. Thank you for your wonderful song “Holy War” and spreading the good message; I’ll buy your album for sure and spread the word.

27. goodbuytruck says:

I will miss Sarayah. Like her as a personality, and love that hair. She, for me, is better than Aaron for certain, and for style’s sake (if I am being honest), I prefer her over Brendan as well.

Darby has a unique characteristic to her voice, but to me it is just not a clean enough delivery. She is interesting, but she needs more work.

I think Billy wins in the end. He is just polished, consistent, confident, and strong. I like Ali as the unexpected – she consistently flies in almost flawlessly under the radar.

I think We will wobble under a bit of pressure. Of the 3, she is the least flawless per body of work, and I do not trust her baby-voice cover of her true voice… to me it represents an insecurity. I could be incorrect about that, but it is definitely not congruent, and appears to be a manufactured coping skill. Absolutely beautiful singing voice, but again, I think pressure might put a few discrepancies into her late performances.