Samantha Bee Skewers Trump Staff, Cites Us (!), Checks In With Jon Stewart

Samantha Bee wasted no time skewering President-elect Donald Trump’s  prospective cabinet on Monday, first taking aim at chief strategist pick Steve Bannon.

Describing him as “the milkshake that brings all the deplorables to the yard,” the Full Frontal host knocked Trump’s choice of “alt-right-hand man.” A co-founder of Breitbart News, Bannon has been accused of using his platform to mainstream the ideologies of white supremacists.

Bee also skewered prominent Republicans, like current and former Speakers of the House Paul Ryan and Newt Gingrich, who in the days since Bannon’s name began circulating have both denied any knowledge of his affiliation with the alt-right movement. Ryan also said he’d never heard of Bannon at all.

Bee surmised that Ryan’s alleged obliviousness was more about keeping the peace within his party, and less about standing up for what’s right.

Later, Bee took a look at how the media wants to blame others for Trump’s victory over Hillary Clinton. After calling out TVLine (!) for a commentary on how Jon Stewart’s Daily Show exit might have impacted the election, Bee gave viewers a glimpse of how Stewart is coping in the days since the election.

Are you more or less nervous about Donald Trump’s staff picks after watching Samantha Bee’s commentary?

1. Johnny Styles says:

I’m not sure when I’ve ever seen a bigger bunch of sore losers in my life. As President Obama so succinctly put it when he was elected to his first term, “Elections have consequences.”

• Mark says:

…says the party that spent 8 years screaming that Obama was ruining America.

• Michelle Carstens says:

I have. Both times Obama won.

• Johnny Styles says:

So, you’re saying that because Trump won, it’s okay to be a sore loser? I wasn’t necessarily happy when Obama won, but I’d like to think I dealt with it better than rioting or complaining about the Electoral College or saying that the results of the election don’t count because Clinton won the popular vote. I’ll say it again – Elections have consequences. Those are the words the President used when he won, and I think they hold true here. The Right was asked to just deal with the fact that Obama won. So I think it’s only fair that the Left do the same of Trump.

• Mary says:

The point you are missing is that these protest are not about her losing, it is about standing up for others who might be affected by this election, which is solely on Trump’s shoulder. I don’t condone the violence that has happened, but the fact the small minority doesn’t speak for the whole group. I find it ironic that many of you call it sore loser when in fact it is just the opposite. Did you believe in the Martin Luther King protest? You personally might not have a stake in this, to be honest Trump being President won’t affect my life unless he puts us into a recession or war, but many of the protestors are not what you call in a safe place. Words have consequences and Trump’s words are the direct result of these protest. T

• Johnny Styles says:

Can we at least wait till he gets into office before just assuming that the world is going to end? That’s all I’m asking. :)

• W says:

The thing that gets me is that you used the term “might”. That means that they are currently protesting hypotheticals. I didn’t vote for Trump, and sure don’t know what the next four years are going to look like, but neither does anyone else. How about we stop protesting the decocratic system and challenge him when there is actually something to challenge him about?

• rinaex says:

We’ve moved a bit beyond hypotheticals, given that he just appointed someone as a close advisor to him who embodies a lot of the fears that many of those protesters have. Paul Ryan has also indicated what they are going to attempt to do to “reform” Medicare, and that’s something that will directly the younger protesters out there.

• Mary says:

@Johnny I don’t know many like to be pro active and not wait till the bomb drops. They are putting him on notice and watching every step he makes. In this position which many of you fail to realize there is no learning curve. You are in the hot seat from day one. Unless Trump lied the whole time, which I doubt, and seeing who his cabinet is going to be, they have every right to be fearful.

• DL says:

It’s also not “hypothetical” that hate crimes against a whole range of minority groups are up since the election. The president-elect wagged his finger once when asked, as far as I know, but hasn’t really tried to put a stop to it. I’m part of a minority group; my sister is doubly so, also being LGBT. We live in New York, and even here a gay man was stabbed on the subway while his attacker shouted homophobic slurs. My sister’s planning to get a concealed carry permit. And we are not gun-owning Americans. That’s just how frightened she is.
            We all know the power of President-Elect Trump’s Twitter finger. He’s spent a lot of time going after peaceful protesters, who are every bit as upset about the rioting. So let’s see him go after those who now are spray painting swastikas and things like “Trump nation, whites only.”
            If he wants to prove he’s going to be a president for all of us, and if he’s not going to stop being our insulter-in-chief, then at least he’d better treat everyone equally in that regard, critics and supporters alike.

• Lindsay says:

Your own candidate complained about the electoral college when Obama won his second term, idiot!

• If they just “dealt with it” when they were “asked” then they only had themselves to blame. There is a thing called the 1st Amendment which gives all Americans the freedom to express their opinions. If there is violence involved, then I deplore that. I think violence is just often a by-product of mass assembled groups of people. Some are there just to be violent.

Unfortunately, too many Trump supporters quickly jump right over the 1st Amendment to adhere themselves to the 2nd Amendment. Usually, they treat anyone who dares to express his/her 1st Amendment rights to suggest any type of change to the 2nd Amendment as “Un-American.”

I sincerely believe that there is a reason that our Founding Fathers sculpted the 1st Amendment FIRST and that is because they felt it was the most important. If you take just a basic look at the Declaration of Independence, you can easily see that it is primarily the 1st Amendment that we fought for.

I think that you are seriously deluding yourself to think that if Trump had won the popular vote and lost in the Electoral College, that he would not have continued his “Rigged Election” rhetoric.

Clinton, who was not a strong candidate and had many, many, many flaws, has not stooped herself to crying “Fault.”

President Obama, who will leave office with a much higher approval rating than any of our past four presidents and of our incoming president has more class in his pinky finger than DT has in his whole body.

If the Left wants to exercise their 1st Amendment right to protest then they have every right to do so and it would be the “Un-American” thing to do if they chose not to.

You are correct sir “elections have consequences.” What these consequences are only time will tell but I think that we should all pray that restrictions to the 1st Amendment are not one of those consequences.

• Angela says:

It has nothing to do with being “sore losers”. If Clinton had lost to a more stable, rational, experienced Republican candidate, many on the left would’ve been disappointed, sure, but we’d deal with it.
      Trump, on the other hand, has proven time and again that he has absolutely NO understanding of what this job entails. He’s filling his cabinet with truly worrisome, ignorant people. And if it’s to be believed that Trump has no interest in the day to day operations of being president, and is going to instead let the people around him take control, that’s a very frightening thought.
      Obama’s right that elections do have consequences. And we’re about to see some very troubling consequences of letting Trump become president.

• Johnny Styles says:

Well, maybe if Hillary hadn’t ignored middle America and spent all of her time hobnobbing with her Hollywood pals, this might not have happened. President Clinton realized this, but his wife and the rest of the party wouldn’t listen to him. That’s their fault. And I do think there are some serious sore losers out there, but most of them live in LaLa Land or the Beltway Bubble, two places that have no idea what’s going on in the rest of the country.

• Angela says:

Yeah, no, sorry, I’m tired of that argument. I DO live in Middle America-Iowa, to be exact. I was born and raised here, I’ve spent my entire life living smack dab in the middle of the country. I’ve lived in small towns, I’m not somebody who’s been anywhere near the “Beltway Bubble”. And my family’s been through a lot of serious economic woes.
          And I STILL supported Clinton. So did my family. Trump may have visited this part of the country more often than Clinton did, but that doesn’t prove squat that he has any idea “what’s going on in the rest of the country”. He’s a millionaire with numerous properties, his businesses have had numerous bankruptcies, he’s got his name emblazoned on anything related to him, his “foundation” was nothing more than a means for him to buy nice, fancy things for himself. Anyone here in middle America who honestly believes Trump “understands them” simply because he came here, and ignores his super rich lifestyle and economic history, is just plain naive at best. I’m tired of people making assumptions about middle America as a whole, and I’m tired of people trying to justify working class/poor people voting for Trump while not paying attention to his history. They got conned in the worst way possible, and it’s embarrassing and insulting.
          And again, I’m so tired of people complaining about celebrities associating with Clinton, and how much of a turn-off that was for them, Trump IS a celebrity! People literally just elected an actual celebrity, a reality TV star with no political experience whatsoever, into the White House! The “too many celebrities” argument holds no water with me, either. When the Republican Party stops actually electing celebrities to political office (Reagan (actor) as president, Schwartzenegger as California’s governor, now Trump as president), then I’ll take their gripes about celebrity influence in politics seriously.

• W says:

Maybe if democrats hadn’t stayed home and not voted we wouldn’t have the host of the apprentice as our next president. I’m not thrilled about this either, as I said earlier I didn’t vote for him, but it is what it is. To do what some people are asking means we throw away our democracy and become a banana republic where elections mean nothing. If that’s what these people want then at least they are protesting for something. But at this point? All they are protesting and complaining about are hypocriticals. If they hate what is going on there is a midterm election in 2 years and they can limit him to being in office for 4 years.

• Magali says:

• rinaex says:

Thank you, Angela. And you’re right, W, those that sat home and did not vote now have to deal with the consequences of their actions. I agree that protesting alone isn’t productive. But if they follow that up with getting involved in their local government and actually taking the time to figure out how things work, then that’s a start. That’s what the Tea Party did, they started with protests and moved on to getting people who agreed wit them elected, and it’s paid off for them.

• Steven says:

This! Absolutely this. If Romney had won in 2012, at least someone with an understanding of the position got the job. Trump has no idea what he’s doing and could get us all killed.

• W says:

Let’s be real, there still would have been protests because of presumed racism in the electorate. I’m not happy about the results either, but to start slandering a president elect not even a week after the election is a bit much.

• Johnny Styles says:

Well said.

• Katherine215 says:

And by slander, you mean *repeating the actual things that have come out of his mouth” right?

• Mary says:

I don’t think that is true. I don’t remember a protest when Gore lost out to Bush because of the electorate. Like I have said since day one, neither were my pick but silly me I did put experience over someone who spew hate and fear. I don’t know about the rest of you but who would you want to do brain surgery if you needed it . A doctor with a malpractice suit or the manager at Wendy’s. I thought it was a no brainer, I guess I was wrong.

• N says:

Well said. Ten points for your spot-on assessment.

• Quinn says:

What I saw was an escalation in violence, post election and a poor attitude from those who supported Trump, Sore losers? More like ungracious “winners”. Hope we make it to 2020 in one piece.

2. Johnny Styles says:

You all may be proven to be right. If so, then I will do the biggest mea culpa I can give in a virtual forum such as this. All I will say is that if the Right can survive 8 years of an Obama presidency, then maybe, just maybe, you guys can survive however long Trump will be President. I’m asking you for the same thing that many on your side asked when Obama became President and the Right acted like the world had come to an end. Let’s see what the man does in office before just assuming it’s going to be a disaster. We’re all (myself included!) so prone to jumping to conclusions before seeing the results happen. And remember, there are these things called midterms. Voters unhappy with Trump can vote in midterms to get Congress back in the hands of the Democrats. So, instead of worrying about Trump, go out and energize your base and get them primed and ready to do something about it.

• Katherine215 says:

“Survive” 8 years of Obama? Most of those people are better off now than they were 8 years ago.

• Johnny Styles says:

Will you say the same things if people’s quality of life improves under Trump? Again, so many people are just assuming that it will be the worst thing ever. Maybe you’ll be surprised, maybe you won’t, but if we continue to jump to conclusions (just as many, many people did when President Obama was elected), then we allow no chance to be pleasantly surprised. Reagan was supposed to be a terrible choice for President, and the 80s managed to turn out pretty okay.

• Mary says:

If Trump can turn around the economy without taking away anyone personal rights then I will gladly give him credit. Just to let you know Reagan wasn’t that great of a President.
          His trickle down economics did not work.

• Katherine215 says:

Seriously? The 80s were not economically strong years. And I will eat all the crow available if Trump can improve anything in the next 4 years. I’m sorry, but he’s a failed businessman with no governing experience surrounding himself with a bunch of white supremacists. Common sense says that does not bode well for anyone.

3. Chris says:

Did anyone notice that all of the nasty allegations against Bannon came from his ex-wife dring Divorce proceedings? Wikipedia is a wonderfull thing.

• Johnny Styles says:

Hold on! When did everything on Wikipedia suddenly become 100% canon? *rushes off to Wikipedia to make the Cleveland Indians World Series Champions* ;)

4. Georgia Madman says:

OK, TV Line, how about leaving out the non-stop politics. I get my politics from Politico. I’d like to get my TV from TV Line. It’s been my safe space. I’m going somewhere else if this keeps up.

• Johnny Styles says:

Then, sadly, I have a feeling you’ll be going somewhere else because I can’t foresee this more politically charged TV Line going away any time soon.

• Katherine215 says:

Pro-tip: don’t click the links on this site that clearly lead articles you don’t want to read. I don’t watch TBBT, I don’t click on links about that show. Very simple and saves me from having to take the time to complain about “having” to read articles I don’t want to read.

• ragnar51 says:

Sadly, it will be about hillary losing and what shows don’t have enough alternate lifestyle characters included in them for the foreseeable future. It’s a shame really.

5. Paul says:

Her 15 minutes is nearly up. There will be a diminution of celebs like Bee, Schumer, Handler, Dunham very soon. There’s been a shift in The Force and it has to do with the number nine. The Cubs broke the curse after 108 years [adds up to 9], it’s 2016 [9 again], Trump will be the 45th POTUS [another 9], Trump is from New York, NY [9], VP is Mike Pence [9]. There’s more but you get the idea. No, I’m not crazy, just a believer in alternate theories than mainstream.

6. billb says:

Remember when comedians were funny?

7. HAP says:

Sam Bee is a treasure.

8. Greg Cantin says:

Are we going to be getting a plate full of Liberal Whining from TV LIne for the next four years? I am no fan of Trump, but if you post an article every time one of your liberal Sweethearts takes a swipe at him… I’ll go play elsewhere.