The Great Indoors Review CBS

The Great Indoors, Man With a Plan Score Full-Season Pickups at CBS

CBS is doing the full-season tango with two more of its rookie series, ordering six additional episodes of Joel McHale’s The Great Indoors and Matt LeBlanc’s Man With a Plan.

Additionally, the network has commissioned three more episodes of sophomore medical drama Code Black.

MAN WITH A PLAN - CBS 2016-2017 Primetime LineupMan With a Plan debuted last month to a 1.6 demo rating, demonstrating 100 percent retention out of Kevin Can Wait; now three episodes in, it has only dipped 12 percent.

The Great Indoors, most recently scoring a 1.7 rating, thus far is down just 10 percent from its own premiere. And in its post-Big Bang time slot, it handily beats everything except for ABC’s Grey’s Anatomy.

CBS previously picked up fellow freshman entries Bull, MacGyver and Kevin Can Wait for full seasons, leaving Jason Katims’ medical drama Pure Genius as the odd rookie show out.

1. Kevin says:

CBS is making sitcoms bad again :-(

• Patrick says:

I love Joel McHale, so I’ll keep watching. But, once it no longer has that cushy post TBBT spot next year, I could see it crashing and burning. Hopefully it gets better. I liked the premise, but I hate that the Millennials are always right. Let them fail occasionally.

• Angela says:

Yeah, I hope these added episodes can allow the show some time to better find its footing. First seasons of shows often tend to be kind of hit and miss, though, so I’m willing to keep giving the show a chance and let it sort itself out. Like you said, they’ve got a good premise and there’s been some good moments and interactions thus far, so I think they’ll get there :).
        Plus, I’m with you in wanting to support McHale :D.

2. SharonP says:

Pure Genius is my new highly recommend obsession. Just give it a couple shots. You’ll like it.

• Nichole says:

I hadn’t heard a thing about Pure Genius before it started, no idea what it was about, but boy has it turned out to be one of the best new shows this season. I really hope that CBS realise what a gem they have on their hands and lets it build a good audience. Seemed weird for them to wait to start a few show as long as they did, and they line up it has before doesn’t lend it much in continuity from the sitcoms. Just really hope people have room to give it a chance given it’s up against The Blacklist and How To Get Away With Murder.

• fiberlicious says:

Couldn’t agree more – I really like PG.

3. El S Boy says:

God have mercy…

4. Billy meacham says:

Man with a plan I’ve been liking so far and the great indoors is all right. I hope they decide to give pure genius more episodes. I rather watch these comedies than freaking reality shows.

5. MMD says:

And the bar gets lower and lower………………..

6. Iakovos says:

Mixed feelings. I like a retro approach to comedy and ‘comfort food’ TV, but it has to be good. I am not laughing much at these dorky dads who would, you think, be more aware. I miss the sophisticated workplace comedies and social message stories of the 1970s that were once the hallmark of CBS. Am glad for a vote of confidence in CODE BLACK.

7. Roe says:

Man with a plan…agree

The Great indoors….disAgree

• Kevin says:

Who knows whether or not three new and terrible sitcoms in Kevin Can Wait, Man With a Plan and Great Indoors are going to last just one season. Remember to follow about my NO COMPLAINING rule.

8. kmayne says:

I tried both shows once Neither one impressed me at all. I like McHale but the Millennials are annoying.

9. c-mo says:

I’ve quite enjoyed TGI and am very happy to have Joel McHale and Stephen Frye on my TV weekly, they’re hilarious! I haven’t had a chance to catch MWAP yet, guess I need to watch it On Demand.

10. M says:

Really like Pure Genius. So good to hear about Code Black. It is an excellent medical show. Nice addition of Rob Lowe.

11. annieo53 says:

Does this mean “Pure Genius” is canceled or does it still have a chance? I just discovered it two weeks ago and love it.

12. Lisa Echerd says:

Man with a Plan got such terrible reviews everywhere that I never bothered to watch. Watched a couple episodes of The Great Indoors and it is awful. Every character is an unlikable stereotype.

13. Jim J. says:

If “Man with a Plan” and “The Great Indoors” continue to do well, then one of them’s order should be extended to 20 episodes.

And I must confess one thing: I have been watching “The Great Indoors” for Esther (Deborah Baker, Jr.), the receptionist for the Outdoor Limits magazine. (Yeah, I know Esther is supposed to be guest/recurring, but still.)

14. claire says:

Man With a Plan and The Great Indoors are terrible unfunny shows. CBS sitcoms are horrid.

15. Paco says:

CBS once again lowering the bar for comedy shows…and I use the word “comedy” in the loosest sense of the word.

16. Paco says:

Sometimes I wonder if the commenters have even attempted to read the full article. “Pure Genius” is the”Odd man out”. That means it’s toast, folks.

17. Paco says:

TV Line must be censoring critical comments that don’t jibe with their viewpoint. A comment I posted a little over an hour ago has been removed. There was no cussing or anything remotely objectionable about it. What’s up, TV Line “editors”, or should I say ” Censors”?

18. retsim says:

Another rubbish show The Great indoors get,s renewed .It seems that anything with a laughter track makes it funny .

19. Ally Oop says:

I just dropped Man with a Plan after 3 horribly written episodes. Tried Kevin Can Wait which was even worse. The only CBS shows I currently watch are Pure Genius and Big Bang Theory.

20. Leanne says:

great indoors. You have got to be kidding. they cant do better than it they better quit. Pure genius is a good show I think.

21. Karin says:

I watch The Great Indoors because of Joel. Did not think it would last a whole season. They need to improve the writing.