Supergirl Alex Gay

Supergirl's Chyler Leigh: Alex's Coming Out and the 'Stronger Together' Theme Is Important, 'More Today Than Ever'

This week on Supergirl, DEO agent Alex Danvers (played by Chyler Leigh) — in the wake of finding herself drawn to lesbian NCPD Detective Maggie Sawyer — came out to her sister Kara (Melissa Benoist).

During a stroll, Alex revealed to Kara that she had developed feelings for her new friend Maggie. Although she had never felt this way in the past, Alex admitted that “maybe she had thoughts like this before,” possibly in high school for her best friend.

“I shoved that memory down so deep inside that…it’s like it never happened,” Alex confessed.

Alex’s declaration was first met by a sense of sadness from her sister, though for a reason she would not discover until later: Kara had to wonder if Alex might have arrived at this realization about her sexual identity sooner, had she not had to spend so much time minding her sister’s Kryptonian secret. Thus, she felt some guilt in stunting her sister’s growth.

That misunderstanding was more than cleared up as Kara assured her sis that she was not alone and would not have to do this without her. She then lent Alex much needed comfort when Maggie, though super-supportive, gently declined her overture, saying they are at “different places” and thus should stay friends.

In a message shared Monday night via Instagram and paired with a rainbow-striped Supergirl logo, Leigh said of the storyline, “I’m SO proud to tell [the] story you’re gonna see tonight. It’s a major step in self discovery, acceptance, joy, heartache, struggle, love and what our show signifies so often … #StrongerTogether. More today than ever before.

“I’m honored to have been trusted with such a beautiful journey,” she continued, “and humbled to hear all the feedback so far about how Alex coming out was truthfully depicted. It has honestly brought me to tears. I’m so so grateful.”

Elsewhere in the episode: James Olsen made his debut as The Guardian, a motorcycle-riding, masked vigilante who lent a hand when a parasite alien drained Supergirl of her power. James and Winn decided to keep their new crimefighting partnership a secret from Kara, lest she try to stop the “super friends.”

Meanwhile, Mon-El spent most of the hour getting drunk or hitting aliens as hired muscle for a bookie. A less-than-impressed Alex explained to Mon-El that the reason Kara gets so upset with him is because she believes in him and his potential to be a hero. So Mon-El finally stood up and hit the streets to fight the parasite alien. Then at episode’s end, he got rewarded by getting kidnapped by the Cadmus goons.

Finally, in order to save J’onn J’onzz’s life, M’Gann submitted to a blood transfusion — but she’s not really a Green Martian so that could mean trouble for Hank.

Supergirl fans, what did you think of the episode? Hit the comments with your thoughts.

1. Jason says:

Good overall episode but this show is failing hard on creating engaging storylines for everyone not name Kara or Alex. All of the men on this show(including MM) just feel like the writers don’t know what to do with them

• Mary says:

I don’t have a problem with that, considering so many times that women frequently get shoved aside or fridged for male characters.

• Jason says:

playing tit for tat is not good writing. No matter gender if you’re on the show you need to matter somehow

• Kara says:

i saw it as pretty normal Jason. What’s odd tho is your focus on gender and what the man is doing and where he fits in. Each of them are living their lives, they’re just not the main character.

• Lm says:

90% of shows are male centric heaven forbid women characters, specifically a show called supergirl, focuses on the female storyline. Have we not seen Jimmy, Winn, J’onn, having backstory- is it bothering you that Alex got more character development or that she’s a lesbian. Gimme a break.

• Mary: *fist bump* I hear you.

• Wordsmith says:

I actually really liked Winn’s “I’m really good at my job, so listen to me, damn it!” speech to James. It was a nice assertive moment from a character that’s usually peripheral comic relief.

• Ellen says:

The show is called SuperGIRL..go figure they’d focus on female characters.

2. Lysh says:

I have a hard time believing Alex is “almost 30” and people (new bffs James and Winn) withholding important information from their friends is always a frustrating plotline to me, but it was a beautiful episode and I cried. Also, I don’t think I’ve ever seen William Mapother in a role I’ve trusted.

• Jim says:

Yeah, I laughed at that too because Chyler is very obviously not in her 20s. Also, I guess Supergirl is invulnerable to everything except alcohol? And all the rank and file employees in the DEO know Supergirl’s secret identity, and so does M’Gann? Anyone could have seen Kara Danvers drinking whisky that would have killed humans in that bar. She’s not being too careful, eh? But these are just observations, no one should nitpick superhero shows because it kills the fun.

• Jhané says:

If you paid attention in last season, you’d know that “human” alcohol has no effect on Supergirl. Which is why she doesn’t drink. She sees no point in it. But you do have a point on everything else. I’m curious as to how it went from no one in the DEO, except Lucy and maybe Susan, knowing who Kara was, to everyone.

• Stacie says:

Chyler Leigh is 34. It’s not like she is a 45 year old playing a 29 year old. 5 years isn’t that big…but anyways, Chyler Leigh was great on Greys Anatomy, and just do amazing so far. Her vulnerability, and strength and story-telling is beautiful. I love what she is doing. That scene with her and Kara sitting on the couch was amazing. I hope little boys and girls see that and it encourages them to come out, because Kara’s reaction was perfect, and one can only hope for from a family member. So good.

• SOPhia says:

All the gay stuff is trash. This is a show about supergirl.

• joe green says:

I agree … they are over doing it

• Patty says:

I agree. It’s taking away from the story line of Supergirl. Too many shows, these days, are “throwing” in the gay thing to be PC. I feel the same about the love scenes between men & women. Leave it to the daytime soaps. Not every show needs to have a love story detracting from what the shows are about. All these scenes are boring & make me want to quit watching shows that I otherwise love.

• Jennifer says:

Thank you! Throwing all this gay stuff into shows will only confuse impressionable kids who don’t even consider anything other than what is normal- a man and a woman together. The gay thing is way overboard in most of today’s TV shows and movies. I don’t hate anyone, don’t get me wrong. But enough is enough!

• daphne rayne says:

you’re the one who’s gong to be confusing impressionable kids by trying to teach them there’s something wrong with being gay.

• daphne rayne says:

you’re trash. you probably wouldn’t watch it anyway.

3. Ginaboi says:

Chyler Leigh is nailing it!

4. Phillip says:

James is the weakest link in this show.

• parstl says:

And once again the anti James folks interject a totally irrelevant jab. Yes, Jimmy Olsen is being played by a black guy just like Elizabeth Taylor and countless of white actresses have portrayed Cleopatra and Johnny Depp recently played Tonto in the Lone Ranger movie.

• Phillip says:

I couldn’t give two s***s if he’s played by a black guy. I love Mehcad Brooks. I just don’t like that they don’t give him anything to work with and it’s frustrating.

• tribulationschimeriques says:

I agree with you … I don’t see where they are going with his character. He’s the photo reporter that NEVER take pictures, now he’s head of Catco plus a vigilante. When Cat comes back and The Guardian is demasqued, what happens to him?

• ScottJ says:

James was NOT a photo reporter. He was the Head of Layout, which was a second tier position reporting direct to Cat. The show explained all that when he first arrived from Metropolis.

• Wordsmith says:

I kind of agree. I like that the Jimmy Olsen character is a part of the show. I like that they made him black and worldly and capable – those are all good things. They’re just doing it in a way that’s consistently less interesting than everything else that’s going on around him. Maybe this Guardian vigilante thing will turn it around.
          Last season I would have pointed to Maxwell Lord as the weakest link, but now that he’s vanished, I can’t think of any specific element that is weaker than they way they’re handling James.

• H says:

Cleopatra wasn’t black.

• jj says:

The issue isn’t that James is being played by a black actor, it’s that the character doesn’t fit well with the show. This would be true regardless of his ethnicity. The writers and the actor don’t seem to know what to do with the character. Last season he was basically just the love interest, and now this season it seems they are just randomly going with “hmm let’s make him fight crime. it works on other shows having multiple heroes.” The focus of the show seems to have shifted more to the DEO rather than CatCo and they don’t seem to know how to keep his character relevant.

• I don’t like him because he took the seat of a powerful woman and doesn’t seem to care at ALL about running her company. It’s nonsense that she would have even let him take over. He could have easily remained a photographer without this nonsense turn at running CatCo.

• Jamie says:

*eyeroll* no he isn’t

• Georgia Madman says:

I thinks its Winn. He’s annoying and a poor man’s Cisco.

5. herman1959 says:

AAA; again, this show is SO much better since it moved to the CW (and I liked it before). Even the parasitic alien monster was good, and so was Winn! Credit to the writers with respect to Alex’s coming out – sensitively written and realistic.

• fiberlicious says:

“this show is SO much better since it moved to the CW”
      Yes and no. The increase in gratuitous violence is wearing thin.

6. Phun says:

Chyler was incredible tonight! A possible performer of the week nomination…. (hint… hint…)

7. Charlie says:

Alex gay, Olsen wanting to be a hero and Cat off the show I’m not watching anymore.

8. Luli says:

The episode was great! So glad we got much needed scenes between Kara and Alex. It was heartbreaking and Chyler hit it out of the park in every damn scene she was in, she’s always at her best. Didn’t expect Maggie to reject her. Mon El and Kara also had great scenes, and while I enjoy Winn, I am not that interested in Jimmy’s story… And if I remember correctly Megan wasnt a Green Martian (!!!) what will her blood do to Jon??

9. cogrady53 says:

What a fantastic episode! I loved the Alex storyline, although it kind of raced through comin gout, doubts, first kiss and heart break all in one go! Chyler Leigh was wonderful and we have been a bit short of the great sister scenes this season. I actually liked that Maggie gently turned her down. She’s right, they ARE at very different places in their lives and guiding Alex in a relationship isn’t what she wants. Kudos to the writers for NOT going the easy route and having her fall into Alex’s arms.

The alien of the week was pretty damn scary, with its Alien-eque mouth and the way it drained Supergirl and J’onn. William Mapother is always creepy!

I was very doubtful about the James as the Guardian story line, but it was pretty good. I still find it hard to take that he is so desperate – and seems to feel entitled – to be a hero. He’s Iron Man really isn’t he?

Even Mon-El got a bit of an arc, and made some good points about Kara expectations of him. Now Doctor Luthor of Cadmus has him, I’m worried though! Will he be the cyber-Superman people have been talking about.

I still miss Cat Grant and would have liked a dash of Lena Luthor but this season has been a very strong one so far. Three cheers for CW_Supergirl!

• Daniel says:

Yeah, this is a great episode! I feel terrible for Alex but Maggie does have a point. Alex is still discovering herself and Maggie doesn’t want to take advantage of that. Still hoping they become a couple but we’ll just have to wait and see.
      Also, Mon-El doesn’t need to be dictated to by Kara and rubbing the whole ‘you’re from Daxon’ in his face again isn’t justified.

10. Malcolm Tent says:

They had a chance to do something great, something food, but they’re ruining this show. It’s becoming garbage.

11. Crystal says:

Chyler Leigh gave such a heartbreaking and spot-on performance. What an incredible job! This woman deserves a standing ovation and more.

12. Dave says:

I think he’s trolling to be honest. Trying to add as many over the top hateful things in one post as possible to elicit responses. Let’s not give him the satisfaction. We shouldn’t reward stupidity with any kind of dignified response.

• KCC says:

He very well could be trolling but I think a few comments pointing out the ignorance of his statements should be documented. Leaving them unchallenged could encourage people with those actual beliefs to feel empowered to spread their hateful and ignorant speech. It’s not something to ignore in the current political environment.

13. MB says:

I always watch Supergirl with my parents and my younger brother. I’ve never been more proud of a show and a fictional character! We were all crying and cheering Alex along. God Chyler Leigh is brilliant at making people feel terrible for her, I don’t wanna see Alex suffer but Chyler is seriously incredible at the emotional scenes.

14. Nemo says:

-Tell her that she is gay.
    -Convince her to come out to her family.
    -Immediately friendzone her.
    #WasteHerTime2016

15. kaitlin says:

SUCH a good episode. I loved watching Alex and Kara have their heart-to-heart, and, really, I even loved watching Alex’s confidence crumble when Maggie turned her down. It just felt so real. Chyler just knocked it out of the PARK today, I can’t wait to see how this sorts itself out. Additionally, I also adore seeing Mon-El getting used to living with humans. I’ve always been a sucker for a ‘fish out of water’ storyline.

16. tribulationschimeriques says:

Chyler’s performance is just amazing … she has always been my favorite character since episode 1 but this season she just shines and portrays every emotion beautifully.

Although she crushed Alex, Maggie’s reaction is totally natural and logical. It can’t send Alex back in the closet, and I’m pretty hopefully for the Sanvers ship, but it’ll be an interesting journey for the young woman. From being one dimensional in season 1 (basically Kara’s sister and DEO agent), Alex Danvers is becoming a very multi dimensional character. And I’m soo with her on this baby steps journey.

Go Chyler !! <3

17. Wordsmith says:

So, random observation: It would feel totally weird and inappropriate if this show started pushing a Kara/Alex romance, right? So wrong.
    But if that’s the case, then why is it seemingly fine for Barry and Iris? The situation is eerily similar.

• Karen says:

It’s not eerily similar – it’s exactly the same. I find the Barry/Iris thing just downright creepy. They are siblings!

• Blah says:

For me personally i always justified the Iris -Barry relationship as that they were in love with eachother before Barry moved in.

It may have been an immature form of love, but it was definitely always romantic, despite it often being overlooked. They were practically an old married couple from when they first met.

• Zee says:

It really is essentially the same situation. But while they think of each other is family, they quite plainly don’t consider themselves as having the same parents (ex. Alex’s mother is “Eliza” to Kara). They’re family by choice more than anything else.

18. Matt says:

LOVED the episode. It’s been a great season so far and this was a standout episode.

The entire Alex storyline has been awesome & I’m glad they have devoted time to letting it unfold naturally over multiple eps. Chyler’s portrayal has been stunning. I love any scene she shares with Kara. Maggie is a great addition.

The Jimmy/Guardian & Winn storyline was great as well. I’m liking Mon-El more too. He & Kara have great chemistry.

19. KCC says:

I cringe a little whenever I hear one the characters calling themself a hero or aspiring to be a hero. It’s egotistical. I guess I prefer my heroes to be modest, doing what needs to be done without thinking of their actions as being heroic. It’s just something that needs to be done so they do it. Let others call them heroes but not refer to themselves that way. What would you say about a firefighter or war vet that said “I did what I did because it made me a hero.” Sure they might have done something heroic and they might be a hero, but they’re also kind of a jerk.

20. Boiler says:

I didn’t watch the show last year due to other stuff and not being big on the “comicbook” phase going on as I am older. But during the summer I gave it a shot on Netflix as I liked Chyler in Grey’s, Melissa in Glee and Calista in most anything and have seen Mechad a few times. I was very surprised how much I enjoyed the first year. I have continued this year. I do not think it is as good due primarily to Calista’s absence and trying to make James a superhero. However I thought last nights show was great and will continue to watch. Too bad I don’t fit the demo to help it out:)

• fiberlicious says:

It’s so funny – I hated MB in Glee…so whiney! I almost didn’t watch SG because I disliked MB so much. First episode blew me away – now I’m hooked!

21. Woodmeister says:

I enjoyed the episode and Alex’s character development. However, it seems to me that in these type of shows people are not allowed to have happy, healthy, realationships beyond being friends. (Oliver and Felicity in Arrow comes to mind.) So I really have misgivings about Maggie’s future as she isn’t one of the show’s main characters. I think that the show will kill her off somehow, and while it will probably be a very noble death, and Alex will be devastated and that episode will have great impact among the viewers…..I just wish that the main characters in these types of shows could sometimes have a happy relationship without a lot of angst.

22. Johnny Styles says:

A very well-done and heartbreaking episode. The Parasite was more the B-plot in my mind. Yes, I know, lots of people on the right side of the aisle aren’t happy about Alex’s coming out. Just deal, okay? I’m one of those evil cisgendered white males and I’m very happy and accepting of this plot. And Chyler Leigh is just killing it. The Kara/Alex relationship is one of the best on TV. My one hope is that one of the reasons Maggie is friend zoning Alex is because of an ex-girlfriend of hers named Kate.

• Georgia Madman says:

I was dreading Alex’s coming out because I figured it would be poorly written. I’m amazed at how well its been done and the actors are nailing it. Chyler gets my “Performer of the Week” vote.

23. David Nicholson says:

I really miss the times when a family show was truly a family show and not the garbage that CW is promoting. Legends of Tomorrow had two girls rolling around on the bed engaged in sex. Old superhero on same show found himself a man to be with. Two gay characters on Supergirl. This is not family entertainment. You people can sugarcoat it all you want, but this is not normal behavior. I’m considering just not watching these show or Gotham since now Pinguin is “in love” with Nygma.

• Pal_om says:

Of course you miss the good ol’ times, your brain is stuck in 1950.
      #Bigotsgonnabigot

• Zee says:

Fine then David, go!!! Supergirl remains the 2nd highest rated show on the CW with or without bigots like you watching!

• jj says:

“family entertainment” funny how bigots are always pulling out that line. Also, “not normal behaviour” because you don’t like it? Sorry to break it to you homosexuality is considered normal behaviour. It’s not considered abnormal, it’s not considered a psychological disorder. Time for you to recognize that your backward way of thinking is no longer acceptable.

• SGW says:

I’m tired of people assuming I’m gay because I’m a TomBoy. I feel like society is stereotyping me. I did connect the most with the Alex character, but now that she became gay… Nope. Once again the strong woman in a male-career field, who’s a workaholic, and puts family before self… is gay. Thanks Alot over PC Society.

• daphne rayne says:

OH NO MY POOOR STRAIGHT FEELINGS PPL MISTAKE ME FOR GAY AND I HAVE TO TELL THEM I’M NOT HOW EMBARRASSING!

24. Mallory says:

“— but she’s not really a Green Martian so that could mean trouble for Hank.” Where was this clarified? I thought it was more or less tradition or culture, like Alex was saying she needed to stop thinking about to save his life. Where did it say she wasn’t a Green Martian?

25. Cordell Garrett says:

I was so proud of Alex in this one

26. Meg says:

One of the best coming out stories I’ve seen in a long time. It felt extremely realistic. Loved the sister moments. I like the Winn and James storyline that’s going on as well. Overall a solid episode.

27. Julia says:

i can not allow my grandaughter to watch supergirl any more. why cant we watch tv any more without being constantly hit with sex or “gay” situations? why cant supergirl just be a family show fun for my grands to watch? just STUPID…

• SGW says:

Agreed. It was a fun family show last year on CBS.
      I do not need to know who anyone prefers in their bedroom.
      It is not key to telling the Supergirl story.

28. Artie says:

Kids watch your show as young as 4 years old. A good way for people to quit watching Supergirl. A very BAD EPISODE for younger children to see. Wake up before your show flops.

29. Ken Mccallum says:

first the requisite black guy white girl romance to show the world its ok to have an interracial tryst,(guess who’s coming to dinner, dad) then this!!!! lets have two guys meeting in the mens room next!!

30. SOPhia says:

Stop the gay storyline Its killing the show no one cares about Alex we care about supergirl

• daphne rayne says:

I care. lots of young lesbians care. why don’t you just go watch the million other shows with straight people in them?

31. David says:

So much for a show my family has been watching since its debut. Since it is not just a kiss here and there, which we can fast forward and skip the scene, it’s a full blown gay theme – episodes after episodes. It’s very uncomfortable to watch with my wife and preteen son and daughter.
    We have to sadly stop watching this show. This new direction has no place in Supergirl!
    Imagine the Avengers movies series, which make billions of dollars so far has the idiot in charge like Supergirl; they would lose audience.
    The show is not family oriented anymore! Those that praised this studio move either don’t have young kids or have a liberal view. I am not anti-gay, but don’t want to promote the idea either.
    Goodbye, Supergirl!

32. Jj Soto says:

This show is boring. Supergirl/Kara is supposed to be from a technologically advanced planet; she’s supposed to be super smart, and capable, but instead she’s completely insecure and ridiculous. The show is teenybopper material exclusively. The writing is trite and irrelevant. Everyone’s so special and precious. The men are superficial and weak, the women are much too girly and much too indecisive. What a mess of terrible writing. This show is heading towards cancellation.

33. carolyn says:

I am no longer a fan. I think entertainment should be that with no agenda other than entertainment. It will not be on my viewing list.