Leonard Cohen Dead Video

Leonard Cohen Dead at 82 — Watch TV's Top 'Hallelujah' Moments

Singer/songwriter Leonard Cohen, whose “Hallelujah” became the soundtrack for some of TV’s most poignant moments, has died.

“We have lost one of music’s most revered and prolific visionaries,” his official Facebook page, which confirmed the death, posted on Thursday. Cohen was 82.

Cohen wrote many songs in his career — including “Nevermind,” which served as True Detective‘s Season 2 theme song — but likely is best known to TV viewers as the man behind the mournful ballad “Hallelujah,” which became the small-screen’s go-to shorthand for poignant and/or sad moments.

If you’re not 100 percent sure about whether you’ve heard the song in question, here’s a quick refresher. It played during crucial moments in The West Wing

… and when Marissa died on The O.C.

… and in a Season 5 episode of One Tree Hill

… and on American Idol

… and So You Think You Can Dance

… and Dancing With the Stars

… as well as in this year’s Oscar’s In Memoriam segment and episodes of General HospitalUgly BettyBlue Bloods… the list goes on and on.

1. Jules says:

Seriously, I just heard the news….I’m in shock!….
    We lost too many legends this year….2016 need to end…

2. Disappointed_In_Shameless_EP says:

After #1 they were all terrible

3. Michael Summerset says:

He was also known for his poetry, although he considered himself a songwriter.

4. grazelled says:

One of my favorite times they played Hallelujah was on NCIS when Taye Diggs played a vet who lost his leg and was helped through MusiCorps on their 300th episode.

5. steven says:

You forgot Scrubs.

6. Eric says:

This man was a lot more than “Hallelujah”, if you’re not yet familiar then check out his discography. A lot of very beautiful stuff there.

7. Collette says:

One of my top 5 all time singer/songwriters. Like Bob Dylan and Kris Kristofferson it wasn’t about his voice which was just OK, it was about the genius of his words. My special favorites of his works were Everybody Knows, I’m Your Man and of course Hallelujah.

8. Gena says:

I didn’t start getting into LC until after his appearances on ‘Austin City Limits’ (in 1993, and several years later when they reran his 1988 episode), and I ended buying each of his studio albums from 2001’s ‘Ten New Songs’ onward, while my dad’s been a fan since the ’60s (having several of his poetry books and early albums); one of the few artists we’ve really been able to bond over (along with Bob Dylan, Jonathan Richman, and maybe Paul Simon).

RIP Leonard… :'(

9. MMD says:

One of our greats has gone although he seemed ready. I’m getting so sick and tired of saying what a horrific year 2016 continues to be for artists in all areas of the arts. I really hope the
    world gets a reprieve in the coming year.

I read a terrific article in the New Yorker about a month ago that Leonard Cohen did with David Remnick entitled “Leonard Cohen Makes It Darker.” Tried to post the link but couldn’t.

10. HAP says:

He really was a crappy singer, but an amazing songwriter. Thanks for your contributions to mankind. RIP

11. Marco Piazzo says: