american-horror-story-roanoke-season-6-episode-9-recap

American Horror Story: Roanoke Recap: It's All Over But the Dying

In Wednesday’s penultimate episode of American Horror Story: Roanoke, Audrey declared, “Everybody’s dead!” — which was demonstrably false, since when she shouted it Lee was standing right next to her, very much alive, thanks. Still, the outburst succeeded in impressing upon new arrival Dylan (who’d played Ambrose in My Roanoke Nightmare) that the goings-on at the Millers’ former house were “not a joke.” Of course, even if the reenactress’ exaggeration hadn’t done the trick, what happened next undoubtedly would have have gotten the message across to Dylan that the variety of s— he was in was the deep sort. Read on, and we’ll go over all the gory details.

american horror story roanoke season 6 episode 9 recapFRESH BLOOD | As “Chapter 9” began, a trio of thrill-seeking young hikers (including Taissa Farmiga as Sophie and Jacob Artist as Todd) hoping to post pics of the haunted house on Instagram during the blood moon happened upon first Diana’s ghost, then her remains. Subsequently, the kids tried to relate what they had seen to the police, but alas, the authorities were beyond skeptical since, when officers went to the scene of Diana’s accident, they found no body. On the plus side, at least the threesome’s spooky upload got them a buncha new followers. #winning

HERE TODAY, DEAD TOMORROW | Inside the haunted house, once Audrey was done informing Dylan (Wes Bentley) that there had been no need for him to show up to stir the pot, because it had already runneth over — with blood — the former soldier was making plans to get them all outta there. First, however, they had to find Monet. Upon arriving at the Polks’, Dylan was pretty much “screw ‘no man left behind,’ let’s just take a truck and scram!” But Lee was determined to get back her confession to Mason’s murder. So, while she searched for the evidence, Audrey located Monet and dispatched Old Man Polk. Outside, Dylan appeared to be murdered by (if I’m not mistaken) Lot, who then drove off in a rush to escape the blood moon.

NOWHERE TO RUN | With nowhere better to hide out, Monet and Audrey fled back to the haunted house. The Brit assumed that, since she had the tape of Mama Polk’s murder — and, they soon discovered, Lee’s confession to Mason’s murder — Lee must be dead. In fact, she wasn’t, she had been saved by Scathach, and upon encountering the Instagrammers, killed Todd. The remaining duo were cornered by Dylan’s ghost in Sidney’s production trailer, where, looking at the monitors, they saw Lee heading for the house — and Audrey and Monet!

POSSESSED | “We have to do something,” Sophie said as she and Milo observed Lee entering the house. “We have to stop her.” As the duo headed back into the woods, Monet and Audrey heard a noise and discovered that Lee had returned. “You don’t belong here,” she said, clutching a cleaver and sounding a lot like The Butcher. When Monet called Lee out, Lee pushed her over the stairway railing to her death. By and by, Lee hacked Audrey, too, and shut her in the storm cellar. By then, Sophie and Milo had arrived at the house to see the real Butcher disembowel Dylan.

SURVIVOR: ROANOKE | As the hour neared its conclusion, a title card informed us that we were about to see footage from Todd’s iCloud. What was it? Sophie and Milo being impaled on stakes and burned alive on Lee’s orders. The morning after, the police descended on the house and found the kids’ still-smoldering corpses. And Monet’s body. And Dominic’s. And Dylan’s. Only Lee appeared to still be alive. “Who did this to you?” a cop asked her. In response, she screamed and pleaded to be taken away from “this hellhole.” But wait — Audrey was alive, too, it turned out, and just then crawled out of the storm cellar. When Lee approached her, having apparently no recollection of her possession, Audrey grabbed a cop’s gun. But before she could fire, the police shot her down.

So, what did you think of “Chapter 9”? And what are you hoping to get out of Asylum survivor Lana’s interview with Lee in the finale? Hit the comments.

1. danny says:

What did the title card say?

• MamaBear says:

It said that it was footage that was uploaded to the Todd character’s iCloud account. Don’t forget, those last 2 kids were filming live. So their deaths were shown live on the internet. Took the cops long enough to show up!

I’m eager to see the finale. I hope Lee goes to prison for murdering her husband.

2. Diana F says:

I mean was it like a simple yet full blown statement on the destruction of our world, because everyone is so ridiculous about Social Media–so you’re all gonna end up in a hell-hole? THAT literal? I dunno. I feel let down. What’s the big twist?

3. Andrew says:

As a whole, the season has been so-so, but: This was the best episode so far. Thank God they broke with tradition and let Sarah Paulson’s character bite it. I’ve been rooting for Lee to survive since last week.

The preview for next week looked interesting. It looked like Lee was being put on trial. I got the feeling that the verdict will mirror the Casey Anthony case?

Anyway, I hope the finale is good.

• ellen8 says:

They didn’t “break with tradition”. Her character (Dot and Bette, conjoined twins ) were killed off in Freak Show as well.

• Couch Mom says:

No they weren’t. They married Evan Peter’s lobster hands character and were pregnant. There was a scene at the end of the show of the three of them watching Jessica Lange’s character”s tv show.

• ellen8 says:

I remember their head(s) in a jar of formaldehyde.

• ToyCannon says:

That was a dream sequence.

• Andrew says:

@ ellen8 – That was from an imaginary dream sequence in Episode 5, where Stanley imagines he poisons the twins (using cupcakes) on a picnic and later sells their severed heads to the museum curator in order to get more money. It never happened, though, because neither of them ate the cupcakes during the actual picnic scene, which was shown later in the episode.

• ellen8 says:

Thanks for your memories (below Andrew and Toy) – I need to watch again – those heads in that jar were a strong memory but your memories are clearer I see.

• Miranda says:

She was a dead character last season. Drug overdose, I believe; but she started off dead.

4. katedfw says:

Can’t wait to see how Lana Winters handles Lee! Would love to see Billie Dean make an appearance too.

5. Kissan Capers says:

If Lee doesn’t go to jail or gets death penalty next week in the finale, I’m gonna be super pissed.

Audrey, Monet and Sophie didn’t deserve to die like that.

• John036 says:

I mean Lee was pretty clearly being possessed by the witch of the woods…

• Andrew says:

@ John036 – Yep, and: Sophie apologized to her friend before they were strung up and burned. So, I think she realized SHE was responsible for the situation they were in—mainly because she wanted more footage/evidence for her My Roanoke Nightmare fansite.

6. Ben says:

Amazing episode! Sad to see Taissa for such a little time, but I loved this.

• ellen8 says:

I agree it’s been sad to see several of the actors for such a little time. (Gaga, Wes, and now I assume we will only see Matt Bomer for a short time). Isn’t Matt the only actor that had been announced we haven’t seen yet ??

• abz says:

Every episode I kept hoping to see Matt Bomer and what character he’d be playing, but he never end up doing so. That was one of the big disappointments for me this season even though I’ve been enjoying the season overall. I kept thinking he might play the real Edward Mott, but with one episode left and the focus shifting to Lana Winters and Lee and the aftermath of the reality show, I don’t think it’ll happen. Hopefully he’ll get an actual good role next season if he’s not too busy with the Last Tycoon show.

7. ellen8 says:

Was anyone else disappointed with the lack of airtime we got with the “real” Scathach. I wanted to see more of her and her purpose as the Wood Witch.

8. Gina says:

I loved this episode. This whole season has been one big mind-screw. And I like it!!
    I personally don’t think Lee was possessed.

9. ellen8 says:

So is Lee still possessed ? (in next week’s trial and interview) ???

• Andrew says:

@ ellen8 – That’s what I’m thinking, too. Otherwise, how was she in the house (and the woods with the kids) at the same time?

I’m guessing the possession will somehow sway the verdict of the jury so that she’ll be acquitted. The point being that if you have dark forces on your side, you can get away with murder.

10. Dave Auger says:

I an a huge fan of AHS but this season is the worst I have every seen. very script, acting, nothing horror about it except the base subject. I really hope AHS does something back to it’s roots for next season. . We used to have AHS viewing parties.. now we are just bored.

11. Lynn says:

Sarah Paulson’s character didn’t survive because in the finale she’ll be playing a character from one of the past seasons, a reporter, from Asylum I think. I missed that season and Coven so not completely sure. I’m guessing she’ll be interviewing Lee, probably from jail.

12. MLO says:

Just announced… the theme of American Horror Story 7. Donald Trump as president. Sneak peak at the opening sequence shows figures in white hoods, images of the Swastika painted across the White House, blood trickling through the streets, Canadians fervently defending their border against invading Americans, vowing to protect their double doubles at all costs, middle-America hillbillies trying to figure out how to harvest apple trees, while former illegal migrant workers try to sneak back into Mexico. Promises to be the scariest season yet.

13. RR says:

This season started off great but kinda got lost. The real question is did Lee orchestrate all this, as some others suggest? I’m wondering if she’s some how connected to the large drug ring of the polks???

14. Luar Constantly says:

I like this season because it is completely different from what they have done but incorporates a modern-day twist to it being based off ‘reality TV’-documentary type of recordings and shows.

I dont understand how people are lost to what is going on! Its very simple: they showed the reality tv documentary show that was based off of peoples twisted experiences living at Roanoke. The first half was exactly that : a Reanactment and interviews of the ‘actual’ people who experienced the horrors. The second half was he Producers twisted attempt to create a better show but now everyone is getting what they deserved for actually coming back during the time these horrifying events take place and for doubting this kind of haunting actually was real.

People that watch this and make it about the actors and how much screen time they get are not understanding the point.

The twist to this season may very well have been that Adina Porter was not billed as a main character/main feature throughout this season, yet this season has become her character, Lee’s story. People seemed pissed she survived, but yes she was possessed. Im not sure if theres some twist to the fact both her and her brother were proned to being possessed but perhaps we will find out in the finale.

This has been a well-done season. Theyve resolved some loose ends even if they were subtle but still a lot of questions i had at the beginning were answered throughout this second half. I wonder how the finale will be set up or if it will be set in the future like last season’s finale was. I mean Gabourey Sidibe was rumored to make an appearance this season and perhaps she is the older version of Lee’s daughter.

15. Turtle says:

Lee is the only character who has survived and will definitely be in the last episode making her the only character to be in all episodes. Why is Adina Porter billed as a guest star?