Dead of Summer Cancelled

Dead of Summer Cancelled at Freeform

Dead of Summer won’t live to see another season.

Freeform has cancelled the horror-drama after its 10-episode freshman run, which averaged fewer than 500,000 weekly viewers and a 0.2 demo rating — losing well more than half of its Tuesday lead-in (Pretty Little Liars Season 7 averaged 1.2 mil and a 0.6).

The cabler’s other summer launch, Guilt, was similarly cancelled last month after putting up even lower numbers on Monday nights.

Created by Once Upon a Time‘s Eddy Kitsis and Adam Horowitz and set at a summer camp in the 1980s, the Season 2 plan for Dead of Summer was to visit camp owner Deb’s (Elizabeth Mitchell) experiences as a Stillwater counselor in the 1970s, though none of the original cast was expected back.

1. Somebody needs to start a petition to get Netflix to pick the show up because I loved it and I'm very upset that I will not see a second season says:

Somebody needs to start a petition to get Netflix to pick the show up because I loved it and I’m very upset that I will not see a second season

2. Britt/Brat says:

I’m not surprised!

3. Anne says:

Good. It was terrible. If you miss this, go watch the Scream tv show cause it is superb

4. Taven says:

Good Riddance!!!

5. Jonathon says:

This was a good show but honestly I was worried it would lose something my jumping back to a prequel next season. I think this show will live on fine just as a stand alone one season show and I would recommend someone to watch it. Good summer series

6. Lucifer says:

It’s such a shame. I was hoping this would be better than the overrated turd that is Scream Queens, but it was basically created for people who watch Degrassi or The Fosters and don’t like horror. At least Channel Zero exists, though.

7. Kosel says:

This show was awful.

8. flashrrow says:

Let it go, let it go🎶

9. Amanda says:

I loved the show and just makes a bad day even worse. I had read though the original cast was supposed to come back but play new characters and was looking forward to seeing what happened during Deb’s time at camp. Hopefully the cast will show up on “Once Upon a Time” soon as Eddy and Adam teased.

10. brook says:

This was my favorite tv show .Its really sad that they canclled Dead of Summer. :( :(

11. Sam K says:

I was annoyed when Guilt got cancelled and hoped this one would survive. Freeform needs to stop cancelling good shows. I feel like its going downhill since the only good ones left are ending soon (Pretty Little Liars, Switched at Birth) or the Fosters, Shadow hunters, and the show that took them forever to decide to keep (Stitchers). It would be awesome if Netflix picked it up but I’m not holding my breath on that one. ABC has been cancelling a lot of good things lately for no reason and keeping crap.

• Sheila says:

Good point.I don’t know how the whole money making thing works but some good stories are being put to waste just because of viewers and that’s not fair to the supporting funs,the cast and the writers and directors.Its really dissaponting besides being annoying.

12. Piper says:

I liked this show. I think it deserved a second season. I’m still made at freeform over canceling twisted. They don’t give shows enough of a chance and then they wonder why they have very few long term shows.

13. Miranda says:

Everytime j get interested in a Freeform show it always gets canceled after the first season, not only did I love Dead of Summer, but I also loved Recovery Road which was also canceled after the first season. I’m done with Freeform completely. Congratulations you’ve just lost another veiwer!