Is it just me, or is Secrets and Lies‘ Detective Andrea Cornell in serious danger of becoming interesting?
Set exactly two years after the death of Cornell’s former partner, Sunday’s episode peeled back an unexpected layer of Juliette Lewis’ stoic character, thanks largely to a troubling visit from her ex-husband Ethan. Within 30 seconds of his arrival at the precinct, Cornell was making a damn scene, screaming at him (“Stop shrinking me!”) in front of her co-workers.
Ethan also forced Cornell to relive the death of her partner, a case that remains unsolved to this day, and appeared to be encouraging more destructive behavior from her. He told her she seemed dangerously close to having another episode, but if you ask me, he wants her to have one.
Here’s a rundown of everything we learned this week…
* Greg filed for divorce from Amanda weeks ago. They’d been having fertility issues, and she wasn’t willing to go the adoption route, even though Greg wanted to.
* The unidentified woman (Glee‘s Romy Rosemont) from the security footage was finally ID’d! She’s Belinda Peterson, Charlie’s adoptive mother, and she met with Kate hours before her death to tell her to stay away. Mark, Charlie’s adoptive father, then strongly suggested that he thinks his wife could have killed Kate — like, right in front of her face. It was real awkward.
* Melanie is Crazy Town. Last week, I asked why the Warners seem to dislike her so much — and this week, I got my answer: “I fight for what I want,” she told Eric through a clenched jaw. “Never thought I’d have to fight you. … You hurt Patrick, I’ll hurt you.”
* Speaking of Melanie, Belinda thinks she messed with the security footage from the night of the party. Via a flashback, we saw Melanie wobbling out of the security office — though I feel like she was walking, as Ariana Grande would say, “Side to Side.” (If you know what I mean…)
* Still speaking of Melanie, Eric’s secretary revealed that Kate caught Neil having sex with Patrick’s wife in his office.
* And then there’s Patrick, who was involved in some seriously shady business — which Kate was onto.
Any new theories about Sunday’s revelations? Drop ’em in a comment below.