SNL Cold Open Finds Donald Trump Romancing Putin, FBI and KKK

Saturday Night Live didn’t have a presidential debate to parody, or an Access Hollywood controversy to mock going into this weekend’s last pre-Election Day episode. So it invented its own political event — a joint interview that brought Alec Baldwin’s Donald Trump and Kate McKinnon’s Hillary Clinton together via satellite on CNN’s Erin Burnett OutFront.

The sketch found McKinnon portraying Clinton at her most rattled as Burnett harped on the latest email controversy, during which Trump shared kisses with an FBI official, Vladimir Putin and a member of the Ku Klux Klan.

Baldwin and McKinnon eventually broke character, though, to talk about their disgust with the entire election cycle and the constant insults the candidates have hurled at each other. They then joined hands and left Studio 8H behind to be amongst the mutlicultured citizens of New York, showing that the world isn’t as divided as politics make it out to seem.

After returning to the studio, Baldwin and McKinnon encouraged both the studio audience and viewers at home to cast their ballots on Election Day, saying that “none of this will have mattered if you don’t vote.”

Watch the  SNL cold open above, then grade it via our poll below.

1. Mike says:

I liked Alec and Kate at the very end emphasizing the importance of voting. I wasn’t crazy about the running around Times Square bit… sort of felt like the writers couldn’t come up with anything else.

2. TV Gord says:

A plea for people to vote is way too earnest for SNL. It just came off as silly to me. Weekend Update verged on that, too. I guess they’re truly worried that Trump’s going to win, as I am.

Aside from that, though, there wasn’t much funny about this show, which is a shame for Benedict Cumberbatch. I got a couple of mild laughs from the Professor/student sketch with Pete Davidson, but they were easy laughs (“Taint. Heh.”)

I guess after several weeks of strong material around the election, it had to happen. Good luck to Dave next week!

3. AngelWasHere says:

It started off sorta funny, but the ending was cheesy. >_<

4. DarkDefender says:

Much like this election cycle with DJT, it started out funny, but ended up sobering. It was a harsh reminder of the importance of this election.
    Which side of history will we be on?

5. Guest says:

Fraking liberals. Trump sucks but Clinton is evil personified. Yes let’s have someone who is under investigation from the FBI (you know those people who deal with oh idk HOMELAND SECURITY) become our president. Great idea. Again, fraking liberals.

• Dan says:

If assuming people are guilty without being actually proven so then how about that 13 year old girl that Trump tied up and raped? Having a rapist for president seems somehow worse….

• Brad says:

We’ve been there and done that already, Dan. That would be that screeching monster’s husband, slick Willie…I suppose history does in fact, repeat itself.

• Mary says:

I just saw a quote which I think is appropriate. Voting for Trump is like amputating your leg when you have a sliver in your toe. Well you don’t have to worry about the investigation because guess what nothing new on that front per FBI as of last night. I have one for you, you need brain surgery and you have a doctor with a male practice suit to operate on you or the Manager at Wendy’s which one would you pick. Experience over clueless any day. If people want to make a change don’t re-elect those old timers back into their seats in Congress and Senate. It is not just liberals who don’t like the man. For me I’m not willing to burn the house down because I don’t like the kitchen.

6. Michael Myers says:

Obviously SNL had to INVENT something in order to try to continue to make Hillary look good. Considering the events from the past week regarding her scandals, I am extremely disappointed that they didn’t fairly highlight that. Instead, as usual, it focused on Trump negatives. Biased as always.

• TV Gord says:

Interesting today to see FBI director Comey clear Hillary (again!) today in the wake of the latest round of emails.