Ratings: Good Place Steady Entering Hiatus; Pitch and Supernatural Rise

NBC’s The Good Place said its temporary good-bye on Thursday with 4.4 million total viewers and a 1.2 rating (per finals), holding steady to equal its four-week high.

The acclaimed freshman comedy returns on Jan. 5.

Opening the Peacock’s night, Superstore (4.1 mil/1.1) dipped two tenths. Chicago Med (7.4 mil/1.5) and The Blacklist (6.2 mil/1.1) were also down.

Elsewhere on the night….

FOX | Rosewood (3.4 mil/0.8) was steady, Pitch (2.8 mil/0.9) ticked up.

ABC | Grey’s Anatomy (7.5 mil/2.1) dipped a tenth, while Notorious (3.6 mil/0.8) and  HTGAWM (4 mil/1.2) were steady.

THE CW | Legends (1.74 mil/0.6) was steady, Supernatural (1.8 mil/0.7) ticked up.

CBS | Big Bang (13.9 mil/3.1) and The Great Indoors (8.3 mil/1.6) were both down three tenths, while Mom (7 mil/1.3) slipped two tenths. Life in Pieces (6 mil/1.3) and Pure Genius (5.4 mil/0.9) each ticked down.

1. Nero tTVfiddler says:

Good Place built on viewers (4.4 vs 4.1) and demo (1.4 vs 1.2) from its Superstore lead in. I think that may be the first time it has done that. Very good to see.

I’ll miss the show until its return in January, but the trajectory of the series is very good and the story line is very charming. All signs appear to show that the series will be in a good place by May’s Upfront.

• Kevin says:

What are the chances Good Place gets renewed for a second season?

• Boone says:

Pretty good actually. It’s one of NBC’s sucesss of the season.

• johnq says:

Very high I’d say: it’s doing ok with a pretty mediocre lead-in. I think they’re already thinking to what pairing it up next fall.

• JTD says:

It’s the only comedy I’m watching. I think it benefits greatly from its goofy sense of humor and its lack of a laugh track. Also like the use of a story arc, the short season (13 episodes); hope they can find a new direction for the storyline next year.

2. Kevin says:

Don’t know if this is the best Thursday night line-up on NBC since the heydays of “must-see TV” like Friends and ER.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Only the history books will tell us.

• Nero tTVfiddler says:

Just for the record… I just checked the 1994-95 ratings roundup from the 1994-95 season, a bit over 20 years ago, and needless to say, the television landscape was quite different back then.
      Viewer numbers (season average) for NBC Thursday night’s Must See TV: ’94-’95:
      (I don’t have the demo numbers at hand… did they/networks even care about the demo that much back then? … I think they did, even then!) –
      8pm – Mad About You 21.4 million viewers
      8:30 – Friends 24.3 million viewers (rookie season)
      9:00 – Seinfeld 30.3 million viewers
      – (first season Cheers not in lineup… Seinfeld a 9pm smooth replacement)
      9:30 – Frasier 19.9 million viewers (rookie season)
      10:00 – ER 28.9 million viewers (rookie season)

The good ‘ole days. NBC has a ways to go to match what they once had on Thursday nights in the ’80s and ’90s, even the ’00s (Office, 30 Rock, etc.), but this lineup of Superstore, The Good Place, Chicago and Blacklist is a good start.

3. Al says:

NBC is preemted in Tampa Bay and Atlanta for Football so highly doubt these ratings are accurate

4. wrstlgirl says:

Does anybody even care about the mystery between Liz and Red anymore?? Why does it even matter at this point? IDK, I’m interested in Mr. Kaplan’s story and that’s really about it. The rest is just the same ol’ same ol’ repetitive story.

5. herman1959 says:

This is good news for Pitch because last night’s episode was the best since the premiere. That said, I hope it’s not too little too late.

• Michael Summerset says:

It’s already too late. The show started out so badly in the ratings there’s no chance for recovery. FOX already announced it’s January schedule and Pitch isn’t on it. While there’s theoretically a chance at a return next year, given that the ratings for weeks have been below 1.0 and that ratings often drop significantly between first and second year, it’s very unlikely.

6. MMD says:

I really wish that Pitch received a little more love. Mind you, my viewing doesn’t count in the Nielson ratings shown, but I do enjoy the show.

• ninergrl6 says:

I really enjoy it too, and I HATE baseball. Pitch has great pacing (other shows that use flashbacks should take notes *coughThisIsUscough*) and the casting is perfect. I found myself instantly invested in all of the characters. I wish more people would give it a chance.

7. Penny says:

Pitch was such a great episode last night! I really wish more people would watch it. And while I’m happy The Blacklist is up, this particular storyline is done. Or it needs to be. The “who’s my father?” Storyline has run its course over 4 seasons. Enough already.

8. abz says:

Funniest Big Bang Theory episode in a while. I laughed so hard during the scene where the guys spoke in Klingon and the girls were speaking Amy’s made up language.
    I’m still a little annoyed with what they’re doing with Penny’s character and how she’s always making digs about her marriage like last week when she joked about how Leonard wore her down and how she’s out of his league and she’s always going after the things he likes like getting rid of his stuff. It’s like after 10 years she needs to accept the fact that she married a nerd. And that’s something she loved about him and made him who he is. We all get that’s she’s attractive and that Leonard isn’t a guy she’d usually date but enough already.

• jj says:

one of the reasons it was the funniest episode in a few weeks is because we got to see more of the characters interacting. it was the first time in weeks that all 7 were in the same scene.

9. Liz says:

I found myself skimming through most of The Good Place. I think it kind of struck me that Eleanor isn’t really a good person, or even the medium person she claims to be. I mean granted she’s not inner circles of the bad place bad, but her flash backs show she pretty much lacked common decency. I’ve always liked the idea of purgatory or even reincarnation because they address that people might have a little more work to do on themselves. But i kinda question that all Eleanor has to do is take some ethics lessons…I guess I want her struggle to be more than internal.

10. Gerald says:

Yay Good Place.
    Supernatural was sufficiently creepy without the demon and monster element this week. Don’t know why Dean would hide the text from their Mom from Sam at the end
    Legends – how are there not more Time Apparitions? And Jaxs is an idiot – what did he think would happen in that situation.
    HTGAWM – I love this show, but disappointed they are pushing Connor back with Oliver. Any chance it is an illusion and it is actually Oliver under the sheet?

11. Cleric Aion says:

I love this show. Its really refreshing and funny! <3

12. kmw says:

Can we see TBBT below a 3.0 soon? Wow that isn’t good for them. Pitch went up, good but still not exactly giving itself a case for renewal. Grey’s dropped but still ABC’S best ratings wise now. Poor HTGAWM really running out of steam at least with live viewers

13. Sue says:

So excited that The Good Place did well last night. It’s my favorite comedy for sure. Too bad I have to wait till January for new episodes, though.

14. Good Place one of the worst new shows

15. RachelC says:

Bring back The Good Place!!!! January can’t come soon enough.

16. Toni-ann says:

I really wish they gave Pitch a chance on another night. Thursdays are so packed out, and this this is even before Scandal returns in the winter. I think it started out decent but has become stronger with each episode. The best episode to date has definitely been the Trade Deadline epi, and last week’s was strong as well. I just have a feeling Fox isn’t willing to give it more of a chance :(