AMERICAN HOUSEWIFE - Pilot. (ABC/Adam Taylor)
KATY MIXON

American Housewife Gets Full-Season Order — Real O'Neals Extended, Too

It’s good to be an American Housewife: ABC has given the freshman comedy a full-season order.

The network has ordered nine additional episodes of the sitcom starring Katy Mixon as an out-of-place mom in upper-crust suburbia, our sister site Deadline is reporting. That’ll give Housewife a full 22-episode first season.

Also, ABC has added three episodes to The Real O’Neals‘ second season; that will run a total of 16 episodes.

American Housewife has performed solidly for ABC so far, despite the drubbing it took from critics. It’s Tuesday’s No. 1 comedy, averaging a 1.7 demo rating and recently building on its The Middle lead-in. The Real O’Neals hasn’t been as strong on Tuesdays, averaging a 1.0, but still did well enough to earn a (slight) extension.

ABC already gave full-season orders to Designated Survivor and Speechless back in September. Notorious, struggling on Thursday nights, had its episode order cut from 13 to 10. No word yet on the fate of ABC’s other fall drama, Conviction.

Who’s loving American Housewife so far? Speak up in the comments and tell us what’s working for you.

1. Sweet! I love Katy Mixon!

2. Disappointed_In_Shameless_EP says:

This show was a great idea, but it’s poor execution
    1. Katy Mixon isn’t fat – she was larger on Mike & Molly
    2. It’s a show based on ridiculous insulting stereotypes and the whole anacat thing is insulting to anyone with children with real mental issues

• Ana says:

Sorry what’s the problem with annacat (whose name I hate by the way)? She’s portrayed as having a mental issue? I had not noticed.

• Bob says:

She has ocd. Washes her hand constantly and doing things repeatedly. She gets it from her father. Rewatch last week’s episode where the father was trying to write his paper and has to redo his route.

• Bob says:

I agree with this. Not here for the fat jokes.

As for the second part of the comment, I feel that all the abc comedy shows has children with underlying mental health issues.

• Cas says:

I agree that she is not fat. But I think maybe in their world (the uppity neighborhood) she is probably a lot bigger than the other women. Sadly, instead of embracing that people (and women) use ugly words like fat. I have a friend who is a size 6 and she always talks about how fat she is to me (who is actually fat btw). It is woman thing I believe.

• Lisa Echerd says:

I agree. My husband continues to watch this show but I just tune it out. It is the same thing each week with Katy’s character feeling targeted because of her weight. They also lost me when they revealed that she had a marketing degree from Duke but she wanted to stay home with her kids. That’s fine but then she continued to complain endlessly about doing so! I loved her on Mike and Molly; on this show, she is just annoying.

3. Lala says:

I’m glad viewers pay no attention to critics and simply watch what they enjoy…because I certainly do. Shows that critics love are the ones with abysmal ratings. AH is not a ground breaking comedy but it’s enjoyable. Katy Mixon is hilarious and so lovable in that role.
    Happy for TRON as well, hope the ratings can crawl back up to a 1.

4. Kevin says:

American Housewife and Real O’Neals are both unfunny and downright garbage. Remember the NO COMPLAINING rule.

5. Alec says:

I’m happy because The Real O’Neals got extended, but it’s clear this is the last year. :(

6. Phil says:

LOVING American Housewife! All four episodes have made me laugh-out-loud multiple times. The chemistry is good, Katy Mixon nails it (which we knew she could/would), the kids are gelling, and the dialogue is fantastic. I wish it had a less generic title, though the original title wasn’t a keeper, either.
    Really glad ABC is sticking with this one!
    “The Real O’Neals” I’ve gone from liking to wanting to like. They’ve dropped most of the stuff at church (haven’t seen this week’s ep yet), the daughter and Jimmy are becoming way too unbelievable (she’s running a sweatshop – seriously? and why?) and Kenny is becoming a selfish nightmare. And how did the show get away with no-one bitching about his brown face Beyonce make-up? The aunt-in-law is still my absolute favorite character, and (Now Openly) Gay Stuart last week was great. But I hope they pull this one back to reality fast.

7. J says:

Katy Mixon delivers her lines like she’s in a CBS comedy, waiting for the laughter. abc’s weakest comedy

8. Jim J. says:

Okay, who here thought that “Speechless” was going to be given the full-season order considering its higher ratings as part of ABC Network’s Wednesday comedy block?

9. Paula says:

No one could pay me to sit through these boring and ill cast (so called) comedies! A total waste of airspace. I honestly do not know which is worse because they are both so awful! When the lead characters are irritating and unlikeable….

10. McCapwell says:

Really like American Housewife. I think it’s funny. I agree Mixon’s not fat, but I don’t know what her BMI is. She looks beautiful, but fat or obese are medical categories and some people don’t show it. Glad it got more episodes.

11. Kathleen Messmann says:

Love American housewife…… definitely another season!!!