World Series Ratings Game 7

Ratings: World Series Game 7 Draws 40 Million, Biggest Crowd in 25 Years

Fox’s broadcast of the World Series Game 7 — in which the Chicago Cubs ended a 108-year drought by edging out the Cleveland Indians in 10 innings, by a score of 8-7 — delivered 40.05 million total viewers (per finals), making it the most-watched MLB game in 25 years (since Braves/Twins Game 7, 50.3 mil) .

Versus the previous Game 7 (Giants/Royals, 2014), it was up 70 percent.

For apples/oranges-y comparison’s sake, this year’s Super Bowl delivered 112 million, while June’s NBA Finals Game 7 drew 31 million viewers.

Of those who braved going up against the big game….

THE CW | Arrow (1.63 mil/0.6) slipped 14 percent, while Frequency (930K/0.3) was steady.

CBS  | Survivor (6.5 mil/1.5) was down 21 percent in the demo, while Code Black (4.4 mil/0.7) fell 30 percent (leading out of a last-minute Criminal Minds rerun) — tying NBC’s Chicago PD repeat (3.3 mil/0.7).

ABC | The CMA Awards (12.6 mil/2.9) only dropped a few eyeballs vs. 2015, while down 24 percent in the demo.

1. kate says:

What I wonder is hour by hour because, I seriously watched Arrow, Salem and American Horror story and I missed a total of like three innings. I fairly regularly watch baseball during the summer so I kind of have a feel for commercial break times and then, I’m a Red Sox fan, and they get stuck on Sunday night a lot (we all hate it, we like our normal announcers) where commercial breaks are longer. I swear, I watched the first inning, started watching Arrow, checked back in, they were only on the fourth inning. Watched Salem, checked back in, they were ONLY IN THE SIXTH INNING. Then watched American Horror Story and I came back in at the top of the eighth. Also, as an aside, watching Salem and AHS back to back is a little disturbing, I think I had two dreams where I was cornered and about to be murdered (judging by my cat’s actual hanging off the end of the bed, I must have kicked a lot too).

2. Kevin says:

Forget about 1908. CUBS WIN!! CUBS WIN!! CUBS WIN!! Time for some Don’t Stop Believing by Journey.

3. kmw says:

FOX is very very happy( and so are Cubs fans). Those are terrific numbers for a terrific game

4. George says:

As a Diamondbacks fans I really wish the year listed in this story was correct. However, that series was in 2001. Sadly, they’ve been terrible ever since.

5. MMD says:

As a Jays fan who had season tickets back when they were winning in ’92 and ’93, I am absolutely thrilled for the Cubs, all their fans, Theo Epstein and especially Bill Murray!

• KLS says:

Theo + crew have turned around two franchises and given their loyal fan bases their WS champs. Great job!

• MMD says:

Yes Theo has done an exceptional job with the Red Sox and the Cubs. He deserves every accolade he is given. I was just surprised because when he and so many others left the Red Sox I hadn’t realized he had gone to Chicago. I was also thrilled when the Red Sox won and broke that curse as well.

• mary says:

Being from Milwaukee, I am forever a Brewers fan.. But I, too am absolutely thrilled for the Cubbies. I will never forget Kris Bryant’s smile before he even had the ball, & Bill Murray’s grin that hasn’t ended.

6. Tenney says:

For their fans, I am glad the Cubs won however, the series really became only about the Cubs and their title drought – which I agree is very newsworthy, but I felt bad for the Indians and their fans because they worked just as hard to be there and all anyone cared to talk about was the Cubs. Had the Indians won, no one would have been talking about the Indians winning, it would have been that the Cubs lost and their drought continues. Now, should the Cubs be in the world series again, at least it won’t be all about them. However, so no one gets upset about this post, I am very glad to see the Cubs win and I am very happy for their fan base. They deserve it.

7. Shannon says:

25 years ago was when the MN Twins won the World Series…we went worst to first in one season! Now we’re worst again. :( So happy that the Cubs won though-they more than deserved this one!!

8. N says:

Yay Cubs…….From a White Sox fan

9. Collette says:

A day of hope for all of the underdogs. Well done.

10. MMD says:

It would be interesting to know just exactly how many people worldwide watched as these numbers don’t include Canada, Mexico, etc. just the U.S.