Exclusive

Criminal Minds Sneak Peek: Reid, Garcia Serve Up Soul-Crushing 'Selfie' Facts

The social media habits of teens make at least one BAU team member feel — gasp — “old,” in this sneak peek from the postponed, Nov. 9 episode of Criminal Minds.

In the above clip from “The Anti-Terrorism Squad” (which has been preempted a week, due to World Series competition), Garcia rattles off a stat about the preponderance of “selfie” photos among today’s youth, which Reid then meets with a finer-tuned fact. Who’s left feeling ancient (or “timeless”?) by the discussion? Press play above to find out, as well as get insight into this week’s UnSub victims.

(This week’s episode, the fifth of Season 12, “officially” marks the beginning of Aaron Hotchner’s extended “special assignment” for the Director, seeing as Thomas Gibson originally was written out for just Episodes 3 and 4, in the wake of an on-set altercation with a writer/producer. A little over a day later, however, the original cast member’s permanent exit was announced.)

Want more scoop on Criminal Minds, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Whatevah8 says:

I still love Criminal Minds because I love everyone on the show, but I really miss Hotch and think they made a HUGE mistake firing Thomas Gibson. Every episode I watch there is something missing and it doesn’t have anything to do w/ the rest of cast. It’s Hotch not being there.

2. Elizabeth says:

I know I’m asking you to don your Carnac hat a bit here, Matt, but do you think this will air as planned, given Game 7? I think CBS pulled their new episodes last night opposite Game 6; I would assume they’d do the same for the winner-take-all/curses-being-vanquished finale.

3. Aly says:

I came back to the show with Emily’s return, after not watching it for a few seasons, and I’ve really been enjoying it! The cast as it stands now has great chemistry. I appreciate Alvez (and Roxy!!) as a new addition, and Lewis seems nice too – as someone who missed her introduction, I’m looking forward to getting to know her a bit more.

I’m now looking forward to them dealing properly with Hotch’s permanent departure – Emily needs an office ;)

4. Angela says:

LOL at Garcia’s Violent Femmes comment :D. And leave it to Reid to bring studies into the discussion of selfies :p.
    As comments elsewhere in this thread are noting, looks like we may have to wait a little longer to see this episode thanks to the World Series, which, boo. But it sounds like an interesting episode, so I look forward to watching it whenever it does air. And I’ll be very curious to see how they further address everything with Hotch as well.

5. Scotty says:

Once again, those in the ‘big office’ have taken a perfect ensemble and just disassembled it
    like a tsunami rolling through and what happened to ” just cause” and fair hearing when terminating a permanent employee. The dramatic tension will never be the same with our HOTCH. Thank you big boys. You’ve ruined another of my favorite shows!

6. Amanda Powers says:

Criminal Minds is NOTHING without Agent Hotchner. What a HUGE mistake to get rid of him. I hate the thought that lawyers and “suits” decide what the show can survive with or survive without. You made the wrong decision. Please rectify it.

7. loreletti says:

Tonight’s episode wasn’t the S12 Episode 5..WTF is with that?

8. Extended special assignment, eh? I guess that’s what they’re going to do to explain his absence? I must have missed that official announcement somewhere.

9. George says:

Criminal Minds replaced with stupid baseball? I’m furious. Anyone know when the new air date is supposed to be? Please don’t say next week!

10. Tom says:

Hey the Director needs to get over the issue with Hotch (Thomas Gibson), these things happen, you need to look at the bigger picture! Fact – the show is not as good with Hotch not leading the team, The key to Criminal Minds was how each team member had a role and a personality to solve major problems, now the team seems weak, at times lost, and just not what we all have grown to enjoy in the stories told. I like it, but not like I used too.

11. Anj says: