Hawaii Five-0 Catherine Lynn Spoilers

Hawaii Five-0's Alex O'Loughlin Previews Episode 150's Awkward Reunions, Hints at His Exit Plan

This Friday at 9/8c, CBS’ Hawaii Five-0 celebrates 150 episodes with an hour that finds team leader Steve McGarrett (played by Alex O’Loughlin) unexpectedly reunited with both his mother Doris (Christine Lahti) as well as his almost-fiancee Catherine (Michelle Borth).

The set-up: Having skipped out on Steve for top-secretive reasons at the start of Season 6, Catherine resurfaces from out of the blue with news of Doris’ capture and imprisonment at a CIA black site. Alas, Catherine drops this bombshell right in the midst of her ex’s very cozy evening of “romance and fine dining” with current girlfriend Lynn (Sarah Carter) — who goes on to share perhaps a bit too much with her predecessor. (Blame the wine?) Regardless, a thrilling rescue mission ensues!

Elsewhere in the milestone episode, Chin Ho awaits word on his latest effort to stall niece Sara’s adoption, while Grover enlists his son for an “intelligence gathering” op, while Danny is out of town tending to his hospitalized father.

Here, the extremely candid Alex O’Loughlin shares with TVLine a preview of No. 150, reflects on the 149 episodes leading up to it and teases his current timetable for turning in McGarrett’s badge and gun.

TVLINE | Without Hawaii Five-0revealing too much, the cold open to this episode is so deliciously awkward.
With Lynn and Catherine? Yeah…. Yeah, it’s funny.

TVLINE | I almost felt like Steve wanted to run away upstairs and just let them sort things out.
Most definitely. And he kind of does! For most of the rest of the show, he kind of does.

PHOTOS Five-0 Casts Rookie Blue Star as Danny’s Sister

TVLINE | How are things going to be when Steve lays eyes on dear old mom?
Oh, she’s a pain in the ass, man. [Laughs] You know, it’s an interesting thing because if this actually happened to you — if you were Steve McGarrett and you had this experience with your mother where she disappeared for 20 years and faked her own death and lied to you continually and then came back and made you promises and didn’t keep them and left again —at what point do you sort of give up? And if you don’t give up, what does that look like? These are all questions I have to think about while I’m playing these scenes. So, what’s it going to be like? It’s going to be filled with different emotions, but it’s also funny. They’ve gotten to a dynamic where they just frustrate each other!

TVLINE | We also getHawaii Five-0 flashbacks where you see how things were very warm between them for however many years she was in his life as a kid. That sticks with a person, regardless.
Right. Look, I’ve got little kids, and it’s so critically important the way we raise our kids and that we don’t f–k them up. There are so many damaged people in the world and a lot of that is because their parents didn’t do a good job. It’s really easy not to do a good job, and sometimes you can not do a good job and not even realize it, so you’ve got to be careful what data you sort of download onto their clean little hard drives. It’s a delicate balance. Doris is a basket case, and as a result of that, Steve carries a lot of baggage about that woman.

TVLINE | Looking back over these first 150 episodes, what’s been the most difficult scene for you to do physically?
I don’t know how to answer that question; I’m all f—ked up, man. I mean I’ve blown both shoulders, one knee. I’ve had my elbow tendon reattached. I’ve got bulging discs in my neck and my back. I don’t know where to start. I’m a mess, and a lot of it’s been really, really hard. I think back to when I was doing most of my own stunts in the first few years — that was not a great idea. But the physical exhaustion of working with injury and working huge hours day after day, year after year…. The whole show has been extremelyhawaii-five-0-alex-blurb-delete physically daunting. That’s one of the things I’m trying to figure out at the moment now; I don’t know how much longer I can do it.

TVLINE | You recently hinted at your intention to exit Hawaii Five-0 after any potential Season 8. (Season 7 is currently up in the ratings vs. last year.) Is that still your plan?
Absolutely. I’m just trying to make it through the end of [Season] 7! [Five-0] is really, really wonderful, but it is an action show, I’m the main guy, and I defy anybody to do what I’ve done for as long I’ve done it and hold out the way I have. Dude, I was a fit, strong, healthy guy when I started the show, and I still am, but you sustain what you sustain. It’s part of the gig.

TVLINE | And what has been the most difficult scene for you to do emotionally?
That’s a really good question. Once I finish an episode, I put it out of my mind so that I can move on and retain new information, but the 100th episode [where McGarrett got waterboarded] was really hard. We had a medic standing by, and I set it up so I actually let them waterboard me and I thought it would be interesting, but I got really sick with pneumonia after that. I had to kind of “go there” with some of the emotional stuff about my dad, so I tried to sink my teeth into that one. Yeah, I really felt depleted after that one.

TVLINE | Scott CaanHawaii Five-0 sadly wasn’t available for Episode 150, but [showrunner] Peter Lenkov has told me that you two absolutely love doing the bickering “McDanno” scenes.
I mean, it comes pretty naturally. We’re both argumentative and opinionated, so it’s easy to yell at each other. But it’s also one of the first aspects that came out of our characters in the pilot, in the first read-through of the pilot script. We don’t back down from one another, so when we get that stuff, we know it’s fun and we know how to play it. There are certain things that they write that work really well with us — like when we have to go to therapy — and we actually have fun when we do it because not all this stuff is fun. Like, standing around a Surface table and spouting exposition for days and days is not a fun aspect of the job. It’s just sort of information, you know. But that [McDanno] stuff is fun.

TVLINE | Five-0 is obviously more commercial fare than Moonlight, but for an actor, does getting to do 150 episodes of something soothe the sting of the occasional one-and-done, 17-episode series?
For sure. Look, don’t get me wrong, 150 episodes of the show is an extraordinary feat, it’s a testament to every single person that works on the show. It’s a miracle that a show gets picked up at all, but to go this long is fantastic and I consider myself one of the luckiest guys in the world, I really mean that. It doesn’t make it any easier to do the show — the show’s a f–king beast— but it’s incredible that we’ve been able to give jobs to hundreds of local people for seven years. We’ve been able to entertain millions of people for seven years. We’ve been able to keep telling these great stories. So yeah, it goes far above and beyond soothing the sting of the show that doesn’t get a Season 2. I’m glad it all happened the way it did.

Want more scoop on H50, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. JamieDM says:

I can’t see them doing the show without him. 8 years is a good run I guess.

2. Lee says:

CBS won’t keep the show for more than 8 seasons that’s why Alex only got a two year CBS deal , for S7 & S8 , no more. The show is too expensive for a low rated Friday and it will end in S8 because of that, not because Alex says he doesn’t want to do anymore, HaHa , CBS didn’t sign him for anymore, that’s the main point. Happy for Scott .
    Thanks for the interview.

• Lee - a fan of Five-0 says:

I think with this length of show two year renewals are pretty standard. There’s never been anything published that suggests the show is any more expensive to film than other similar shows. Hawaii Five-0 is doing very well for Friday nights and in this time of declining viewership as well as or better than other shows in supposedly better time slots. Also, it is extremely successful monetarily in syndication and overseas.

That being said, as a fan, I will be sad to see the series end but completely understand Alex needing a chance to allow his body to heal. The grind of filming 25 physical episodes was something very few actors would even consider doing for any length of time.

I am so happy that Hawaii Five-0 was successful for Alex and during that time he was able to find a home and family in Hawaii. I hope we will get a well-deserved season 8 with a hefty use of the wonderful stunt doubles the show has available so we can celebrate this series & cast so many have loved for years.

• Patrice R. says:

Well said. I love this show and the stories and the actors in it. I thank everyone involved for it and also hope stunt doubles will be the norm. I hope all good things for them and wonderful careers after the show to follow them in. I hope that Catherine comes back to Steve and that they end up together. For me, that would be a wonderful happy ending to a series that I will follow long after it is gone and upcoming generations will too, I believe. It is just that good.

• Elliot says:

That’s all I want in season 8 or before the show ends. Steve and Catherine back together and get married. That would be a good final episode wouldn’t it

• semprasectum says:

You don’t know what you are posting about. Who said you could speak for CBS? Julie Chen? Go away

3. Kevin says:

McGarrett has been cheated death after what went down in last season’s finale. Here’s hoping that the series should end after eight seasons (with or without Steve)

4. Mr. Smith says:

8 years is good. It gives the chance to tell solid stories without getting stale.

5. Luis Roman says:

I got such a pang the first time I saw the opening credits and saw Alex doing the Jack Lord pose. 150 episodes is an amazing feat for any series, particularly one so physically stressful.

6. Elaine says:

There have been a number of scenes and episodes over the years that were so physically brutal (involving Alex O’Loughlin’s character) I simply couldn’t watch them. It’s sad to read of the physical price he has paid, and you wonder why the show continued to let it happen after he had sustained such injuries.

7. Linda says:

It really sucks that Scott couldn’t make this episode happen!

8. Jason says:

8 seasons should be end. There is no way they go on without McGarrett. And I hope they stick with Lynn through the rest of the show because I dig her. And not just because I adore Sarah Carter, although that’s certainly part of it :)

9. Donna says:

What happened to Scott Caan again? He’s been missing in action a lot lately.

• mary says:

It’s part of his contract because he goes to be with his family-real life family that is.

• ComeOn says:

Alex needs to get himself the same deal that Scott has. Just because his family live in Hawaii and he appreciate the opportunity to be the lead of the show, he still needs to look after himself, he is sounding burnt out less than half way through the season!

10. I’ve been excited about #150, but now that I know Caan isn’t in it, I feel jipped.

• MMD says:

So do I especially with such a milestone episode.I’m glad that they are finishing off the Catherine storyline although I don’t know if this will be the last we see of Doris, but I just feel like Danno should be there.

• Linda says:

Yup, they should have somehow worked around it so he would be in it.

11. Kevin in CT says:

Ah man, I’ve always been a big fan of Alex O from his Moonlight days. With some other shows ending their runs recently it’s hard to add another great one (IMHO) to the pile.

12. Joey Padron says:

Great interview with Alex. Good preview about 150th episode. Can’t wait to see it! Think an 8 year run would be good for the show. They can’t do the show without Alex. Sad Scott won’t be in new episode on Friday.

13. Doug Henning says:

The old show was a different era and was far less physical than the current one so it could last all those years from the late 60’s into the 80’s.. The McGarrett maybe shot a pistol once in a while.. The only physical stuff he ever had to do was when Wo Fat captured and tortured him.. My guess is both H50 and Blue Bloods get their 8th season and call it there..

• Linnster says:

I can certainly understand why H50 might end after 8 seasons, but I sure hope that Blue Bloods stays. Friday night without both of these shows will be as barren as the rest of the week.

14. astrumporta says:

Thanks for the interview – very interesting! Seems like he’s not backing down from ending after S8 and I don’t think anyone should blame him! I wish he’d used his stuntmen more from Day 1. I bet he does as well.

• Patrice R. says:

I also wish that he had used more stuntmen from the beginning. I hope he gets to healing well and that other actors will use more stunt people too. Good nutrition, acupuncture and massage can do wonders for healing.

15. badgerly says:

I’ve been an enthusiastic Alex O’Loughlin fan since Moonlight. If HF-0 ends after Season 8, I’ll be fine with it. Alex deserves better opportunities to show his talent. I just hope he will continue acting, and keep Hawaii, which he loves so much, as his home base.

16. Vovc says:

i hope they don’t kill McGarrett at the end.. whatever they decide to do after season 8..

17. Eric says:

I don’t think H50 could continue without McGarrett since he’s been the main focus of the show. It sucks that this likely could have been prevented. I do think the blame for all the injuries has to go to O’Loughlin, showrunners, stunt team, and writers. Alex didn’t have to do all his own stunts (likely chalk that up to youthful exuberance and overconfidence), many of which could easily have been deferred to the stunt actors more often and should have been advocated for by the stunt team. The writers and showrunners could easily have toned down McGarrett’s need for physicality in order to lessen the wear on him. Instead of keeping him as the bull in a china shop cop like they have for most of the series, a better path would have been to slowly transition McGarrett from the hard-charging ex-Navy SEAL to a smarter, more polished detective who was still capable of being physical, similar to how Jack Lord played his version of McGarrett for most of his run. I think they probably could still do that and get another year or two out of the show past the 8th season.

18. Brooklyngirl says:

Love this show. I love and adore Alex and it hurts me to see how badly he’s hurting after 6 1/2 years and 7 seasons of being McGarrett. 150 episodes is a fantastic milestone. There is no Hawaii 5-0 without McGarrett. He is the heart and soul of the show and Alex has given us his heart and soul with every portrayal of Steve McGarrett. A season 8 would be wonderful but Alex needs to get himself healed and rested so he’ll be ready for his next big adventure. Whatever that is, I’ll be there to cheer for him!!

19. lucy says:

It wouldn’t bother me if this was the last season.Haven’t seen many of the episodes since season four.The terrible awful disgusting .Haters of certian people and actor’s .As for Cann’s four years of gripeing.The show has mostly Been good with Alex and Daniel D.Kim .i love those 2.So that’s my opinun and you knw what they say about those.

20. Wendy says:

So looking forward to the 150th episode, and this scene between Catherine and Lynn sounds great, and then hopefully we will never see Cath again! As for Alex leaving the show after Season 8, I hope that he can get healthy between now and then, whether or not they renew the show. I’m not sure how I would feel about H50 without McGarrett……how many fans do you think would watch if he left?

21. Keith says:

For me the bickering scenes are the worst part of the show

22. Bella says:

I agree. If he’s leaving after 8 seasons, then the show needs to end, too. I’ll be sad to see it go. I loved what he had to say about the responsibilities of being a parent. I’m looking forward to this episode, it sounds really great.

23. Amy Leen says:

Thanks for the interview, Matt, and thanks to Alex for the hard work he puts into this show. A lot can change in a year and half, so I’m not worried about him leaving yet ;)
    I’m sure the episode is going to be great. Although it’s sad that Scott won’t be in it.

24. Jerri says:

And yet people still say that acting isn’t a real job. The physical and mental toll it takes on actors can be massive.

• i am sad the show is ending but Alex needs to get is health sorted out and get better also MB will not have to read all the horrilble and nasty things said about her i wonder if these people ever met her would they say it to her face i very much doubt it they must be very sad people

• Wendy says:

We don’t know for sure that the show is ending, and Alex has made it clear he signed for Season 8 if they are renewed. Given the high ratings, it’s likely they will be back. I think that MB would be happy if it stays on the air, PL won’t kill her character off, and I bet it’s because she plays such a polarizing character so well. Haven’t seen much about her at all, most of the talk is about “Catherine”, not MB.

25. Clau says:

Chin should stop trying to stall the adoption, he should frickin’ adopt the girl himself. He adores her. And he obviously hated even the thought of her leaving. And the little cutie has told him that she wants to stay with him. So come on!!

On another note: finally kill Doris, for gods sake. She’s annoying, selfish and has never done anything but cause trouble.

About Catherine: I’ve always liked her. And I liked how great she was with Steve.
    But either have her stay (have her join Five-0 or not. although, let her. if they’d show her as much as Abby they’d get in the time for a full Agent together) or have her leave for good. That coming and going really annoys me. Especially concerning Steve.

And now…
    I totally undertsand that Alex is thinking about leaving.
    But I think if he does, they should end the show as well. He’s THE leading character. And as much character development with everyone else there was or how Kono/Danny/Chin-centric (and great) some episodes might have been, it wouldn’t be Five-0 without Steve McGarrett or Alex O’Loughlin.

26. I really do hope for a few things to happen: one, I hope the question of what exactly comoelled Catherine to leave In a huff and work for the CIA, second, I hope it becomes clear after this episode, as to whether the door is still open for Catherine to ever return, or it closes completely; and 3, if indeed the door is clised, I hope Lenkov reveals one day what made him change his decision from Catherine being an end game for Steve. Needless to say, I am hoping otherwise. Frankly, I don’t give a hoot about Dorris/ Wo Fat. To me, that story is closed, and I realky don’t know what there is to wrap with regards to that.

27. cori says:

Re: “I’ve got little kids, and it’s so critically important the way we raise our kids and that we don’t f–k them up. There are so many damaged people in the world and a lot of that is because their parents didn’t do a good job.” Try not dropping the f-bomb so much in an article they may read someday.

28. cori says:

Re: “I’ve got little kids, and it’s so critically important the way we raise our kids and that we don’t f–k them up. There are so many damaged people in the world and a lot of that is because their parents didn’t do a good job.” Try not dropping the f-bomb in an article they may read someday.

29. Terry Perry says:

I tried to watch this show it’s just to Stupid they should call it Iraq 5 0Hawii has what 5 killing a year on this show it is every day.

30. Margaret says:

Woof, I forgot about that waterboarding scene, that was brutal to watch. All 4 of the main cast, what they’ve all done in various episodes is pretty insane, but none as consistently as Alex. It still looks like they all genuinely enjoy what they do, hopefully they’ll end on a high note after S8.

31. Jake says:

Alex has that backwards, it would have been much better if Nina Tassler hadn’t made the stupid decision to end Moonlight. That show was ahead of the curve with it’s romantic vampire theme (it predated Twilight, etc.). The writing and storyline was exceptional.
    5-0 is nothing but a series of action scenes, the plotlines are weak or dull, and while they do have good cast members, I’d much rather see all of them doing something better.

• Thank You I love this comment I don’t watch
      Hawaii five 0 on a regular basis. But I did get check out the first five seasons of the show on DVD from my local library. The shows has some funny moments and I like Danny’s relationship with his daughter. But it is a sequence of action packed stunts every week.
      I can see how the show has taken a toll on Alex O Loughlins body I mean there isn’t an episode where McGarrett isn’t running , jumping, shooting, or something equally as dangerous.

I loved Moonlight too that show was so romantic you could die I would have much rather that had continued on for eight seasons than this.

• einat162 says:

I loved Moonlight and was sad it didn’t get a 2nd season – but they knew pre hand and gave the OTP (Mike & Beth) a happy romantic ending. Sadly got caught up on a sweet show just the same called Forever, but unlike Moonlight, they didn’t know so 22 episodes ended with a cliff hanger (shame on ABC, if they chose to end a huge anchor like Castle- Forever would have been the perfect replacement! instead all their in-door productions are cancelled after few episodes).

32. jack says:

I loved him in Moonlight………….watch it still on dvd!

33. jcdj0525 says:

I love this show. The camaraderie between the cast is phenomenal. I will miss it when it is gone, but a person’s health is more important.

34. Pam says:

Still watching 50 after many many years. Even the first 50 with Jack Lord. Wish Alec would want to stay, but also understand if he doesn’t because of injuries. Glad Missy is going to be on there, loved her on Rookie Blue.

35. I truly hope that if Alex leaves the show, or if the show ends, that they give him/it a proper sendoff. I love the show, but not at the expense of Alex’s health. And really, what is 5-0 without McGarrett?

36. I pretty much am a fan EXCEPT for the guy plays Danno and the stupid crap he says. I do not like the actor and certainly do not like his portrayal or the dialog he is having to use. He mostly comes across as an ill-informed smartass. I totally am disappointed every time I watch this show when he is in it. Not sure yet of what I thought of the “old” ghost-like apparition in the chapel of McGarrett’s former series actor and found that was very odd. Plots are becoming a little thin.

37. I want Catherine and Steve back together where they belong. Catherine is his soul mate.

• Nika says:

I doubt that aint happening

• Wendy says:

Soul Mates don’t lie to each other, especially the way Cath lied to Steve. She told him she needs more than being in a relationship can give her, and she walked away from him, again. If anyone could understand going undercover, it would be Steve….and she chose to lie. Them ending up together know would just be ridiculuous.

• H50fannie says:

and also because at this point inthe season I doubt she is returning to stay and become an item to Steve, their relationship now is too complicated to start over anyway but also there is no official confirmation taht the actress will stay again on the show. so the writers make the stupid mistake again to have her leave and then return again and then leave again. Probably this Fridays episode will be the final and last episode of Catherine on the sho. I just want to see how Steve will really end things with Catherine, so each one part ways once and for all.

• There is an interview with Alex done by TV Guide posted a few hours ago wherein Alex talks about this upcoming episode. The questions about what happened between Steve and Cath and why it happened will be answered. Yes, Catherine will be out for good, but always in Steve’s heart and mind. Beautiful ending in terms of the way the writers were able to tie up things and thus rectify what I think were colossal mistakes made earlier in the series; albeit out of necessity. Its not the ending to the storyline that I had hoped for; but that’s life…..

38. Mary says:

The banter is wearing thin for me. The real mcgarrett (Jack Lord) was more sophiaticat d. The best show ever was the one on gun control. BEST

39. Cath says:

It’s time to end this show. It’s gone way past ‘going out on top’. The writing has gotten so bad. I watch old reruns and remember how good the show used to be, compared to what it is now… part prime-time soap opera and part superhero cartoon. Bringing Catherine back AGAIN – really?? Not to mention Doris. The writers are definitely out of ideas.

40. Nika says:

No Alex on H50, no show anymore is as simple as that. H50 cant go on without Alex, he will be difficult to be replaced if the show may continue to a Season 8 if renewed. Just in case the show may go on without Alex and the network need to find a replacement, who do you think it be a good actor to cast? I mean similar to Alex in personality, etc etc

41. Kit Granger says:

Actor James Garner did much the same with many bodily injuries doing his own stunts too. He suffered a great many injuries that plagued him throughout his life, and a lot of pain. O’Loughline needs to save himself, and now.

42. mrsfoxxe says:

Whole show could go. He has always bombed as Steve.

43. mrsfoxxe says:

Whole show could go. He bobed as steve!

44. mrsfoxxe says:

Good cancel show!

45. Barbara says:

The show may as well fold if he leaves. He is very vital to the long running series.

46. Lavonne Tippen says:

Please don’t leave the show Alex. I can’t be the same show without you. It will make me not want to watch it anymore and it is one of my favorites.

47. andrew hass says:

I can understand Alex O’Loughlin wanting to leave after 8 seasons because for TV series 8 seasons is a great run.Plus now the show has time to wrap up things properly because they know the actor is going to leave eventually.

48. Ralphie says:

Great interview. I was a fan of the original series with Jack Lord and had reservations for the “reboot,” but the writers and cast of the new show have always exceeded my expectations. They have made Hawaii-5-0 their own. The cast has a great chemistry together, including the supporting actors. You can tell that the cast and crew work their @sses off each episode to provide quality entertainment, and I will miss the show once season 8 ends. Kudos to the main players, especially Alex, for performing most of their own stunts and physical hardships.

49. first says:

It really doesn’t seem like this could be the seventh season for the show. It has gotten a lot better the last couple of seasons so I really hate to think of it ending soon, but 7 or 8 seasons is more than a lot of shows get. If O’Loughlin leaves, I don’t see the show going on without him although other actors on other shows have been replaced and it has worked. But, since Scott Caan doesn’t even want to spend enough time in Hawaii to be in every episode, I doubt the show will survive much longer.

• Nika says:

I agree with your theory especially beause Scott always ask for being in less episodes in each season so there if the show is over much better for Scott, that way he finally could be back in LA permanently. And yes I know of shows whose main stars are replaced but in the case of H50 I doubt Alex is replaceable, he is the show. and I doubt he can be substituted.

50. Chryel says:

no no no….please don’t leave the show. I love you and Danno and your dynamic….actually all the “ohana” on the show is a perfect match of characters. Oh…and I’m in love with chin-ho…perfect couple is Kono & Adam….was so glad to see Adam come back. PLEASE DON’T GO…..