The Voice Top 12 Results

The Voice Introduces Real-Time Voting for Top 12 During Live Playoff Show

The road to The Voice‘s Top 12 just got a whole lot more nerve-racking.

NBC has announced a twist to the two-hour episode airing Monday, Nov. 7 (8/7c): Everything from the performances to the critiques to the voting results will be broadcast — wait for it — live.

Here’s how it’ll go down: The 20 remaining singers, five per team, will each have a chance to perform. After each performance, viewers can vote on The Voice app — up to 10 votes per artist per team, according to NBC — or on Twitter via the show’s handle (@NBCTheVoice).

Voting results will determine two artists for each team, while the coaches — Blake Shelton, Miley Cyrus, Adam Levine and Alicia Keys — will get to save/choose their third team member in real time. The remaining 12 singers, three per team, will then go on to compete in the regular live episodes beginning Monday, Nov. 14.

But fear not, viewers in the West and Mountain time zones — The Voice will tweet the names of all eligible singers, so your votes will be counted along with those watching in the Eastern and Central time zones.

Your thoughts on this little experiment? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Frankie says:

Correct me if I’m wrong but what you’re saying is: those of us on the West Coast and in Mountain time zones can essentially only vote by “popularity” – meaning, not based off of the night’s performance but whether or not that singer just happens to be memorable/a favorite?

That doesn’t seem very fair. Why can’t they tally the “live” votes after the finale airing?

• Andy Swift says:

You are correct. The results will be tallied and announced during the Eastern/Central airing, so West Coasters will have to vote by popularity.

Should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

2. Kristin says:

As someone who lives on the West Coast, I hate these kinds of twists. I shouldn’t have to log on to twitter and then vote based on who I like on the list and not on their actual performance. This is the kind of stuff that makes me not want to even bother and just turn the show off completely. Social media is not how I want to vote!

3. Ronnie says:

Not a good idea at all. What they should do is have the west and mountain viewers vote and do the results live on the west coast. Someone will get royally screwed otherwise.

• Andy Swift says:

If they did that, the Eastern/Central fans wouldn’t get to watch the results. Either way, someone loses out.

• Eric J. says:

Then they shouldn’t do it this way at all. It should be done the way DWTS is done! Everyone gets to watch first then vote then someone goes home the next week/day and repeat the cycle. That way everyone wins!

4. Holly Fiske says:

No telephone voting??

5. Jeff D says:

Something that’s not mentioned in the article but should be noted is why this is happening: it’s because The Voice won’t be airing an episode the next night due to Election Day coverage.

I was wondering how they were going to deal with this; I guess my question has been answered. I’m surprised they didn’t decide to have the results two days later, on Wednesday.

• a_lex89 says:

In season 3 they had a similar situation, but they aired another performance episode on Wednesday and results aired on Thursday…

6. Dwayne David Young says:

i am listening… and there are sooooo many anthem songs… “i.e. seal, Love Divine; Stephanie Mills, Home, Eva Cassidy, Songbird; Garth Brooks, To make you feel my love; etc. i pray the live shows have more weight… more heart.

7. Tammie says:

I like to be able to do this but wish I had a vote during knockouts !! I am so upset Michael Sanchez was sent home – where can I voice an opinion on this !! I love the show but thought he was so unique !

8. MissEllys says:

BOO! It’s not fair when only half the country gets to vote on the actual performances!

• Evelyn says:

Totally agree. No matter where you live,you should have a chance to vote on this. Especially when you watch it week after week. This shouldn’t have never been set up like this at all. Knowing that the election was the same week it could have been the lives started even the following week so everyone could be equally involved in the voting.

9. Greg Cantin says:

This is TOTAL BULL HOCKEY! As a West Coaster I am Deeply Annoyed. I DO NOT TWEET. And I would like to actually SEE a performance before I vote. I have been enjoying this season so far.
    Now, the DEEP South will keep every sinGer with a twang alive while we are helpless.
    My blood pressure is already going up. :)

10. Sheryl79 says:

If this is what they are choosing to do it would make sense to also place the performances live on Facebook Live or to keep the Twitter theme alive. Clip them and place them immediately up. Why it sounds complicated they had enough time to come up with this idea, they could have put something in place for the West coasters…

11. trainerbt says:

So if viewers can vote after each performance, doesn’t singer #1 have a HUGE advantage over singer #20? Or will they limit the voting window for each singer to “x” number of minutes after the performance?

12. mary says:

West Coast is already excluded from the instant save portion of the lives. This gives the west coast no say, especially this early in the show when we have only heard them sing one song of their choice. I am not going to tweet (I don’t even have a twitter account), on popularity and not on performance, particularly given there is always some unexpected standout on any given week.

This idea is a big turn off – might as well not have it a public vote and just have the judges decide.

If this is due to the elections on the 8th, then they should hold back the results and record a just-reveals to the artists- no fluff results and spend 10 minutes at the start of the live 12 airing that reveal. This would allow for all votes to count and still utilize their scheduled airtime.

13. Trudy McQuiddy says:

This idea stinks. I’m done, Voice. How can I possibly vote when I’m at work and not able to access my phone or computer or without even hearing the performances? Bad, bad idea, just as bad as the instant save that we west coasters never got to participate in. Monday Night Football, here I come.

14. REALLY bad idea! I’m on the West Coast and don’t have Twitter!

15. Kimberly Davis says:

This year is 100% the best yet!

16. Kat McQueen says:

Yeah I think it’s a bad idea as well. I have to work 5pm to 5am – so I won’t get to watch or vote 😣 I DVR the show on my work weeks so I don’t miss anything & I stay off Twitter because I don’t want to know ahead of time who stayed & who didn’t.

17. Kristy Jacobs says:

I live on the west coast. I like to vote based on the newest performances, not just on my favorite overall. This is really not fair to the artists competing, either. Please don’t let this voting format become the norm!

18. A'Lesha K says:

I certainly hope this is not the way it is all season. As a W.coast watcher, I prefer to vote on performance, not popularity. Even the last minute save/tweet they introduced was frustrating! I don’t want to get Twitter just to make sure a deserving artist gets saved or makes it through. Disappointed.

19. Kristy Jacobs says:

Not fair to the mountain/west coast viewers or the artists competing. I like to vote based on performance, not popularity.

20. Kate Laney says:

This totally sucks. I have always hated this on Instant Saves and hate it more now. If this is being done because of election night they could have announced the results Tuesday on their App or on Social Media or moved the results show to Wednesday or announced the results next Monday like DWTS has sometimes done but to expect half the country to vote without seeing the performances is totally ridiculous. I am liking this show less and less.

21. Kate Laney says:

This totally sucks. They could have figured out how to work around election night coverage. Announce votes by social media after the entire country has a chance to vote. Move results to Wednesday. I like this show less and less the more they add in these gimmicks.

• Derrik Manning says:

Now that we see it live it’s unbelievably UNFAIR. They close the voting 2 minutes after the last of the 5 people from the team sing.. So they get 2 minutes for people to vote and the first person gets about 25 minutes for people to vote. And guess what? THE FIRST TWO PEOPLE WHO SANG GOT THE MOST VOTES!!! Gee!!!!

• Greg Cantin says:

Really? As a west coaster… I can’t wait to be annoyed.

• Ann says:

totally agree…this system is completely unfair –to the mountain and west coast viewers- but especially the contestants.. Those singing 1st and 2nd on any given team have an extremely unfair advantage strictly based on tiime. Someone got into Miley’s stash when this stroke of genius came about.

22. Kelly says:

What if you don’t do twitter?? Some of us are not into all the social media stuff. And isn’t this show in LA so they are actually starting at 3pm??? Should be on a West coast schedule

23. Leigh says:

Of all the stupid ideas. First mountain and west coast shut out for the save now the live playoffs. Nice try producers, but tweeting the people eligible so we cant throw a dart and vote for someone very patronizing to those of us with half a brain. Why would I vote for someone without seeing him or her perform?

24. Brant Reed says:

Been waiting for a week to “do live voting”. My only show I watch with my mom who is 66. Thanks for making it less fun with no vote for us. Whoever votes without hearing should not be voting. Bad move!

25. Tom says:

The worst solution even facing election day tomorrow. I do not use any social media so my hands are tied. They should have thought this through better.

26. Eric Elwood says:

Such suckage, they could split the difference and let the west coast play but the right coast bias is bulletproof, until we all switch to Hallmark Christmas movies. I hope the Eastern Standard time folks are enough to keep what was my favorite show on the air…

27. Tom says:

Wow! Another twist. Eliminations are only within a coach’s team. So, if Blake gets two eliminated but one of those is much better and got more votes than Alicia’s remaining 3, Blake’s person still gets eliminated? How is that fair?

28. Donald W Machutta says:

Thanks a lot for making it so we on the west coast can’t vote after listening to the singers. Aways after a gimmick.

29. Kristi Johnson says:

Sucked. I didn’t know the voting was over until I sat down to watch and not only did I not get to vote Ann the results were posted already so the show had no suspense. What a total bummer. Can you imagine if the World Series was played on the West Coast after it was over.

30. Tina says:

This real time voting is so stupid,I turned the voice off I’m so mad just because I live on west coast I am unable to vote,I’m so done with watching the voice and I never missed an eposide the whole time it’s been on

31. Steven Rapata says:

This stinks we on the west coast are not able to vote and I keep reading it’s impossible however American Idol let us vote so I think it’s time the Voice figure it out

32. For the first time in 10 years I turned off the TV and walked away! Horrible, horrible, what are these people thinking? 20 RUSHED (and hence, bad performances) in 2 hours so we can vote live and see the results tonight? So, you are competing with Amazon, going for “same day, same hour” delivery?! The idiots who thought this one up should be fired, yesterday.

33. Donna Oreb says:

Still we on the west coast don’t get to vote on performance JUST NAME’S . Need to find a way to announce picks at a different time. Maybe you can buy 5 minutes next day . Thanks for reading . Donna

34. D Corbell says:

Looks like the same voting concept this year, 2017. Can’t believe we can’t listen then vote. West Coast and Mountain are ripped off…not a fair vote at all!

35. Cathy Veikins says:

West Coast gets the shaft. Uninstalling app.

36. Laurie says:

I am watching live show tonight , april17 2017 and because I live inpacific time zone, the voting is closed… this is wrong!

37. Beth Houlihan says:

I didn’t like it in the 2016 season and I don’t like it this season! Not fair for the west coast who watch at scheduled broadcasting time. ‘Makes me not want to watch if I can’t vote

38. Jan Scott says:

We viewers on the west coast are being cheated and so are the performers. Tastes in music vary from area to area, state to state. We’re really not getting to have anything to do with helping determine who the winner is. Shame on NBC! Don’t know whose brainstorm this was, but it’s no wonder why they are not the #1 network. Shame, oh shame!

39. Renee says:

This stinks! I only found out this info when I watched my recording and wanted to vote. I work nights and don’t watch recording until about 10-10:30pm. Not allowing the West Coast to vote is completely unfair! Totally disappointed

40. Steve says:

As a long tim viewer, I will likely made this my last season. I live in the wrong time zone to be able to participate. Perhaps when they lose enough viewers they will remember that the entire US needs to be able to play.

41. Lisa Stem says:

So those of us on the west coast cannot hear the artists sing before choosing who deserves to stay? That completely ruins the premise of the show, where we get to hear a performance and vote based on that performance. It makes the voting part of the show only relevant to east cost viewers, takes half the fun out of it. Completely unfair. I don’t know who thought up this change, but it’s terrible and somewhat ruins the show.

42. Janelle says:

What the heck? They will tweet the name? I didn’t get home until 8:45 and it said ALL voting was closed. BOGUS!